[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I'm getting some problems when I "revert to VAB" after a test flight. I try modifying the ship and some parts (outrigger mainly) loses it's green attach node. I have to completely rebuild that part every time I revert to VAB.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I'm getting some problems when I "revert to VAB" after a test flight. I try modifying the ship and some parts (outrigger mainly) loses it's green attach node. I have to completely rebuild that part every time I revert to VAB.

The problem with the outrigger is a stock KSP bug. You can get around it by attaching stuff to the center node FIRST and then attaching things to the outer nodes.

Heck, I get that just in the VAB while editing a ship, using any parts. Never correlated it with Revert to Hangar before, so I'll try to be aware of it.

The problem with the outrigger is a stock KSP bug. You can get around it by attaching stuff to the center node FIRST and then attaching things to the outer nodes.

Ahh thanks for the tip.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get this to fly for the first time. It's my first ship with vtol capabilities and I'm just flipping out of control. I have RCS Build aid running on engine mode and I've dialed the engines ~3kNm of torque but I can't get it lower. It still flips out of control. Can anyone share a SS of a balanced honeybadger so I can get the feel for it?

I'm a huge fan of the Honey Badger parts and all of your work, RoverDude. I've been playing with FTT for a few days and I've encountered something buggy, I think.

As the following screenshot shows, I think I should be seeing a second set of controls for visual texture as well as the contents of the Cargo Pod. Am I misinterpreting it? I can successfully cycle through all the cargo pod content types.

http://imgur.com/PNSKmpd

I'm a huge fan of the Honey Badger parts and all of your work, RoverDude. I've been playing with FTT for a few days and I've encountered something buggy, I think.

As the following screenshot shows, I think I should be seeing a second set of controls for visual texture as well as the contents of the Cargo Pod. Am I misinterpreting it? I can successfully cycle through all the cargo pod content types.

http://imgur.com/PNSKmpd

That's how it works. There isn't a toggle for the actual texture of the module.

0.1.3 is up!

• Multi-colored honeybadgers thanks to HostageTaker who gave us a bunch of new textures. You can color your ship in yellow, gray, orange, or brown. Note some bits have more than one coloration choice, and some are for contents only.
  • Engine tweaks - power requirements are up, props now spin in the right direction
  • Two new ducted fan engines - a radial one with similar characteristics as the inline one we already have, and it's new smaller cousin (smaller than FTT's, larger than Exp Pack's). These all have RCS capabilities, but these are not exactly nimble ships ;)
  • Kontainers - Kerbal-style cargo containers for hauling around raw goods. They fit snugly inside of the bay of a Honeybadger, and are perfect for use with a KAS and IR crane :)
  • Added CRP integration for resources (config only not maps)
  • Updated to latest USI tool DLLs

Having an issue with the outriggers not showing all the nodes. Any idea why? It doesn't happen all the time. Just randomly. If I scrap the craft, exit the VAB and come back it solves it. I can't track it down and reproduce it though :(

http://i.imgur.com/qDbTAc7.jpg

Known KSP issue - start with the middle ones. Solution coming in next patch

i have a bug long time that i cannot deal with is not so big but is iritating fan ingines starts activetat during lauch ( i have same problem with radials from karbonite and ducktet fan from here and explorel pack

somebody has that problem? somebody now what to do?

0.1.3 is up!

• Multi-colored honeybadgers thanks to HostageTaker who gave us a bunch of new textures. You can color your ship in yellow, gray, orange, or brown. Note some bits have more than one coloration choice, and some are for contents only.
  • Engine tweaks - power requirements are up, props now spin in the right direction
  • Two new ducted fan engines - a radial one with similar characteristics as the inline one we already have, and it's new smaller cousin (smaller than FTT's, larger than Exp Pack's). These all have RCS capabilities, but these are not exactly nimble ships ;)
  • Kontainers - Kerbal-style cargo containers for hauling around raw goods. They fit snugly inside of the bay of a Honeybadger, and are perfect for use with a KAS and IR crane :)
  • Added CRP integration for resources (config only not maps)
  • Updated to latest USI tool DLLs

Awwww yeah! :) I've been eagerly looking forward to the Kontainers and HostageTaker's skins!

Thanks for all the USI updates today Rover! You're taking cat herding to new heights!

Since I'm still too overwhelmed by the amount of "stuff" MKS/OKS needs I don't use it yet (no offense Rover, you know me...).

However, FTT fits my capabilities much better and I want to use it. This lovely Kontainer has, however, Ore, Mineral and Substrate configs which don't help me [i don't use EL yet neither].

So instead of removing them I wrote a small MM patch to replace them with MonoProp, Oxygen and Food, which might be a bit of overkill but makes them usable for me (in all configs). Since I may not be the only one, here's the patch:

@PART[FTT_Kontainer_01]:FINAL
{
@MODULE[FStextureSwitch2]
{
@textureDisplayNames = MonoPropellant;Water;Oxygen;Food;Karbonite;LFO;
}
@MODULE[FSfuelSwitch]
{
@resourceNames = MonoPropellant;Water;Oxygen;Food;Karbonite;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;
@resourceAmounts = 11250;45000;31914894;160126;9000;4050,4950;
@tankCost = 16500;3000;4782;41250;15900;5700;
}
}

Since I don't know if the amounts/costs are fully balanced yet, I didn't touch Water, Karbonite and LFO, but based MP, Oxy & Food on the values for the Water Kontainer.

In[56]:= oxygenDensity = 0.00000141;
oxygenCost = 0.000055836;
foodDensity = 0.00028102905982906;
foodCost = 0.238874700854701;
monoPropDensity = 0.004;
monoPropCost = 1.2;
waterDensity = 0.0010000000;
waterCost = 0.0008;

In[64]:= baseVolume = 45000*waterDensity
Out[64]= 45.

In[65]:= monoPropVolume = 45/monoPropDensity
monoPropPrice = 3000 + monoPropVolume*monoPropCost
Out[65]= 11250.
Out[66]= 16500.

In[67]:= oxygenVolume = 45/oxygenDensity
oxygenPrice = 3000 + oxygenVolume*oxygenCost
Out[67]= 3.19149*10^7
Out[68]= 4782.

In[69]:= foodVolume = 45/foodDensity
foodPrice = 3000 + foodVolume*foodCost
Out[69]= 160126.
Out[70]= 41250.

I just picked up the mod a couple hours ago (together with a bunch of your others) And i'm having a blast!

There is only one thing that bothers me somewhat and i think that is more due to firespitter than you. Response time of the props (in general) have jet-engine charactaristic. For jet engines this is right and realistic. Jets do need some time to spool up and down, and adjust their RPM to the new power demand. Props however are pedal to the metal right away response. Maybe you can tweak something there.

This is especially important for good VTOL performance. Right now its incredibly hard to adjust the throttle cause there is always a small delay in the response time.

Another small bug i found is: The modular tanks do not say: Change Payload or Content. But Change Texture in the first chooser (yes there are two Change Texture thingies in those)

Other than that: Hats off! great mod

I just picked up the mod a couple hours ago (together with a bunch of your others) And i'm having a blast!

There is only one thing that bothers me somewhat and i think that is more due to firespitter than you. Response time of the props (in general) have jet-engine charactaristic. For jet engines this is right and realistic. Jets do need some time to spool up and down, and adjust their RPM to the new power demand. Props however are pedal to the metal right away response. Maybe you can tweak something there.

This is especially important for good VTOL performance. Right now its incredibly hard to adjust the throttle cause there is always a small delay in the response time.

Another small bug i found is: The modular tanks do not say: Change Payload or Content. But Change Texture in the first chooser (yes there are two Change Texture thingies in those)

Other than that: Hats off! great mod

Only if the prop is variable.

Propfans do have variable-pitch blades, but the prop itself is still driven (through a planetary reduction gear) by the turbine like the fan in a turbofan - they respond more like a GTF, instead of like a turboprop.

They're a weird inbetween, and I have accounted for this in the values in git right now.

Propfans do have variable-pitch blades, but the prop itself is still driven (through a planetary reduction gear) by the turbine like the fan in a turbofan - they respond more like a GTF, instead of like a turboprop.

They're a weird inbetween, and I have accounted for this in the values in git right now.

That would make sense if they would be actual turboprops with an actual turbine that is essentially an economical jet engine. But they are electrical powered in the FTT :)

Yeah, I got confused with the Karbonite propfans, I've been knee deep in engine guts all week.

Anyway, I don't know about you but they look like fixed pitch props to me.

Never heard of an inflight-variable-pitch ducted fan outside of RC models, but if you can find me any that got made and were successful, I'll drop the response speed more. Its never instant though - even on the best systems the best you can get is <1 sec from setting to setting, buts its still there.

Anyway, best not to ask for too much realism here, or we'll be tempted to drop the thrust on them to realistic values and none of you will ever get off the ground again :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.