[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

I'm currently trying to make an all-purpose freighter design(plotting to have at least one freighter for each type of resource in each planetary system, the first of which will be Kerbin itself, of course. And as I'm using the Outer Planets mod, this is a key component of my long-distance missions. But alas, I digress!), but I've encountered a bit of a problem with that plan. It is that the "kontainers" do not appear to have the ability to store monopropellant, liquid hydrogen, xenon, or resources from other mods(such as Argon from Near Future, which I've been using to fuel most of my long range ships).

I could use other fuel tanks for the other resources, but that would ruin the entire idea of having each freighter be identical except for the type of stuff it carries. And then I'd have to go through the effort of designing a completely different ship for the other resource types, which is a proposition that my laziness finds mildly horrifying.

Do you plan on changing this in a future release, or would you reccomend that I should attempt to add this in the code myself(and if so, would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction, as I haven't looked at too much Kerbal code before)?

@narf0708: I use a tank definition "Kontainer" for all I like to put inside

TD_Kontainer.cfg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvq44zct5jxgpel/TD_Kontainer.cfg?dl=0

and a MM Config for Modular Fueltanks Mod for the FTT Kontainers

MM_MFT_FTT_Kontainer.cfg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpahcdiprndaxhz/MM_MFT_FTT_Kontainer.cfg?dl=0

Requires: Modul Manager and Modular Fueltanks Mod

Could an option be added to have the different Kontainers be KAS storage? I'm sure there's a way to do that since Angel-125's MCM mod has a storage module that does something similar. I'll be taking a crack at it later, but wanted to post the suggestion.

I'm sure that's going to be an absolute ton of storage, but it'd be fun to have an easy way to ship huge amounts of rover parts, science sensors, and other KAS-storable items from both KAS and KAS-friendly mods to colonies or stations. It'd also be kind of neat in an aesthetic sense to have a huge Kontainer sitting near the colonies, sending Kerbals out to grab stuff as needed for exploration, spare parts, etc.

EDIT: actually, adding a storage-only module to the Kolonization mod would be neat as well, but I think MCM covers that with the MSM part... just wish the actual MCM part had a KAS storage configuration. I guess I could mod it in once I understand how it works.

I have a proble there are parts missing for example the reaction weel and the tree part pad to extend over the sides

This is likely either a bad install or you (or a mod) have altered the stock textures/models. For example Ven's revamp can cause some weirdness with parts that rely on stock textures/models.

Could an option be added to have the different Kontainers be KAS storage? I'm sure there's a way to do that since Angel-125's MCM mod has a storage module that does something similar. I'll be taking a crack at it later, but wanted to post the suggestion.

I'm sure that's going to be an absolute ton of storage, but it'd be fun to have an easy way to ship huge amounts of rover parts, science sensors, and other KAS-storable items from both KAS and KAS-friendly mods to colonies or stations. It'd also be kind of neat in an aesthetic sense to have a huge Kontainer sitting near the colonies, sending Kerbals out to grab stuff as needed for exploration, spare parts, etc.

EDIT: actually, adding a storage-only module to the Kolonization mod would be neat as well, but I think MCM covers that with the MSM part... just wish the actual MCM part had a KAS storage configuration. I guess I could mod it in once I understand how it works.

Sure, log in a github issue for both.

I have a proble there are parts missing for example the reaction weel and the tree part pad to extend over the sides

Install issue.

The same thing is happening to me. What causes this?

Need a screenshot to see what's up.

Im just curious how many people out there that use FTT but DONT use EPLP???

I use EPLP on the install with FTT, and always launch Starlifter based ships from an orbital construction dock.

Well, yesterday I was playing around in sandbox game...testing some new designs and whatnot......decided to try launching my go-to Starlifter Logi ship.....a ship designed to ferry resources between orbital stations...and is by no means one of the larger configurations for SL parts...actually as far as Starlifter ships go its kinda small..(cockpit, big SAS, 2 short cargo struts with kontainers, the 3ball hydro tanks, the reactor and the 3.75 nuc).

WOW...sure takes ALOT to get that badboy in orbit!!! Couldnt imagine how much the big MKS hauler RoverDude made in the pics would take to launch lol.

Sure, log in a github issue for both.

I logged 3: 1 for FTT kontainers, 1 for a KAS version of the MKS storage tank (it just seems right), and 1 for a KAS Kolony module (well, modules: MKS and OKS). I was messing about with KAS the other day and the lack of large-scale storage is frustrating. The mod-provided KAS containers only look good to a certain size, and only really fit in certain ways. A KAS Kontainer amuses me, a Starlifter full of KAS Kontainers makes me question my sanity (but not enough that I don't still want it). They are of course your mods, I promise I won't be bothered if you decide not to make one or more of them as I'm not sure how much work any of it will be.

Hm, can the nuclear engine run on other fuels? Also, not sure if I can manufacture (or distill or whatever) liquid hydrogen since I only have Karbonite and MKS/OKS.

Karbonite has LH2 converters

i think the Kontainers would benefit from having a radially attachable 'KAS BAY' type mount of some sort. right now it's the star lifter bay's or winging it. also are there any plans for a rectangular Kontainer? like a real(stackable) shipping container? :)

Toss in a GitHub issue for an alternate mount :)

No plans for rectangles at this time tho

Need a screenshot to see what's up.

I am having the same issue as kalrand and lordyod. From lordyods original issue post, screenies of his craft can be found here. I added a screen of my vessel here. Basically the same deal: full spherical hydrogen tank directly connected to the GNR-3750 hydrogen engine not powering the engine.

Edit: The tank was the root part on my craft. Thought I'd try switching the root to the battery and rebuilding: no change. So I tried with the jumbo spherical tank and voila, it works. Then switched the tank back to the std. spherical and still working fine. Maybe a root part thing, maybe being attached directly to a tweak-scaled part thing (the AdvSAS), dunno. But it appears reproducible since I'm the third person with this issue.

Edited by madsailor

Also, may want to look into the fact that you can get the nuke engines in CTT BEFORE you even get the tanks.

While it's true that Karbonite has the distiller to make LH2, there's no other tank besides the ones that come with FTT that are capable of storing LH2. I tried to see if the multipurpose tank from Allistas hangar mod could do it, but nope.

i don't know if that changed because I used an earlier github version before I decided to do a reinstall of KSP and I grabbed the most recent github version. The one where you put the honey badger parts into heavy or heavier rocketry.

Edited by smjjames

Well, the one earlier was the release version I believe.

Also, when installing stuff that have common files like the community resource pack, how do I know which files I keep or overwrite from the pack? Obviously if the file is newer, keep that, but it's not always so obvious. I run into that problem mainly with USI mods.

Also, when installing stuff that have common files like the community resource pack, how do I know which files I keep or overwrite from the pack? Obviously if the file is newer, keep that, but it's not always so obvious. I run into that problem mainly with USI mods.

If you use CKAN it will handle all of the version control for you. It makes installing and maintaining mods super easy, especially dependencies.

i think the Kontainers would benefit from having a radially attachable 'KAS BAY' type mount of some sort. right now it's the star lifter bay's or winging it. also are there any plans for a rectangular Kontainer? like a real(stackable) shipping container? :)

I haven't had a problem slapping an LFO Kontainer inside of a MK3 Spaceplane Cargo Bay (minor clipping, but otherwise fits like a hexagonal glove).

I can't believe that I put off trying this awesome mod for so long... I immediately built a high-rise apartment and put it on the Mun... The thing was carrying 64 kerbals! The mission was successful though i didn't pick the best landing spot, then lost my landing gear when I tried to reposition... Anyway. Here are my rambling, disjointed thoughts... The more 5m parts that become available, the more I'm hurting for a 5M coupling solution. My idea, which I am thinking about doing myself, is to build an orbital spacedock using the newly abandoned Stanford Toruses kit with the IXS spacedocks... (recruiting 3D d00dz for that effort) A 5M docking system does not seem reasonable. Extraplanetary launchpads seems to have a severe (and unspecified) limitation with respect to the scale of the ships it can construct, therefore a system to use KAS-like assembly at large scale might be a viable solution. Especially with respect to payload modules that can weigh upwards of 1,000 tons. This brings me to my problem...

I want to design a propulsion module consisting of your nukular (sic) reactor, a few LH tanks, and a quartet of 2.5m motors from a certain specific unspecified mod... Ok... that's going to weigh a few hundred tons, which is not a problem, but your 5m -> 2.5m quad adaptor does not have any provisions for mounting on a lower stage, I would have to launch it upside down and balance everything on a 3.75m docking ring... (0.90 has severe wobble/oscillation problems...) The Proc Fairings thrust plate might work but that center node could be a problem. The future of that mod and that procedural thrust plate are in doubt as that mod is being assimilated by the Borg....

The provided engines look quite good for medium-duty cruising but they would need to be at least ten times more thrusty to be used as first stage engines... On orbit, you generally want to concentrate more on payload and high efficiency...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.