[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

On 11/8/2017 at 4:26 AM, NermNermNerm said:

I gave the Ducted Fan engines a try today (e.g. "Large Ducted Fan Engine", "Honeybadger VTOL Atomospheric Engine") and was surprised to find that they don't work on Duna.  They work on Kerban and Laythe, but not on Duna.  Given the opening video for this thread, that's surprising and probably not right.  I just want to make sure I'm not doing it wrong.

The craft consists of a Honeybadger command pod, Honeybadger nuclear reactor, and the engines.  The engine shows "Thrust: 0.0 kN / Specific Impulse: 150.0m/s / Status: Flame-Out! / Cause: Air combustion failed".  "IntakeAtm reads 4.5".

It's not a faulty craft; like I said, if I haul the same thing onto Laythe, the engines fire right up.

On 11/16/2017 at 4:52 PM, RoverDude said:

Show us the craft.  Ducted fans should work on Duna, but there were some changes in prior KSP versions that may have them be less efficient due to atmospheric density.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:00 AM, NermNermNerm said:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArmF2ajumPvrhKVKgF4Ns1GaYXw8Vw

But I suspect it'd be easier to repro it without bothering to download:

1) Go To VAB
2) Grab a Honeybadger Command Pod
3) Glue on a Honeybadger Nuclear Reactor
4) Glue on a Large Ducted Fan Engine
5) Glue on a 'Honeybadger' VTOL Atmospheric Engine
6) Hyperedit it to Duna
7) Activate the reactor
8) Try and make it do anything

To the other posters, these are both electric engines.

On 11/22/2017 at 6:56 AM, RoverDude said:

Point still stands - need to see an actual craft.  Because I can tell you right now,  your config is seriously lacking in engines (i I take your laundry list above literally).

Hey guys - same issue here, a bit later though... but i can't get the ducted fan engines to do anything on duna. None of the work, all of them show "Air combustion failed" as described above. I have, at this point, tried: clean install and only installing USI mods, both game versions 1.8 and 1.9. I'm at the end of my (granted, very limited) wisdom. Any chance anyone can take a look?

Also, if that helps: the staging and resource UI on the side of the screen shows both required EC and IntakeAtm as full bars, which is even weirder. 

Thanks and boy, do i love all the USI mods!! Just wanted to get that out there as well :)

EDIT: Ok, here's a simple craft that absolutely won't fly well but it doesn't matter since for me, the engines won't even fire up on duna:

https://kerbalx.com/JustAMeatStick/Ulysses

and here's a screenshot of it just sitting there waiting for oxygen i guess:

https://imgur.com/a/zTjIe8n

Thanks for any inputs!

Edited by TheBackIsBAck
added craft file and image

• 3 months later...
On 3/1/2020 at 6:34 PM, RoverDude said:

FYI I've retooled these for the next release of this mod.

Does that mean you're making a 1.9 version?

Also, the Honeybadger cargo pods are missing attachment nodes for Kontainers, and there are some other parts that don't show up in the editor (I was looking in the part files, and there was something classed as a 'StarLifter' that I couldn't see in the editor. Anyone know fixes for either of these?

19 minutes ago, MoonstreamInSpace said:

Does that mean you're making a 1.9 version?

Also, the Honeybadger cargo pods are missing attachment nodes for Kontainers, and there are some other parts that don't show up in the editor (I was looking in the part files, and there was something classed as a 'StarLifter' that I couldn't see in the editor. Anyone know fixes for either of these?

1.10 actually :)  It already works in 1.9.x - but I'm doing a playthrough and doing a lot of fixes and such across the entire constellation (Sounding Rockets and Exploration Pack have had a lot of reworks so far)

Just now, MoonstreamInSpace said:

Is there a fix to make 'StarLifter' parts show up, and for the Honeybadger attachment nodes? For the Honeybadger, I can't see any config code for those nodes, so I don't know what to do there, and for the StarLifter, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't show up.

No reason why they would not show up?  I'll take a look though.

9 minutes ago, MoonstreamInSpace said:

In meters?

I may have just mistyped while searching for StarLifter parts, as the Orca Command Module showed up.

Yep.  Relative to the part origin.  Best to look at other nodes and config documentation on the web.

I used Blender to get measurements. I think I now have working cfgs for the two bays! I just added top, bottom, and Kontainer mount nodes.

ModuleManager didn't work in this case, I manually added them.

The nodes are:

For the small one(FTT_Cargo_375_01):

Spoiler

node_stack_cargo_01 = 1.224905, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_cargo_02 = -1.224905, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_bottom_R = 0, 0, -1.732275, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 3
node_stack_top_L = 0, 0, 1.732275, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 3

For the big one (FTT_Cargo_375_02):

Spoiler

node_stack_cargo_01 = 1.224905, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_cargo_02 = -1.224905, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_cargo_03 = 1.224905, 2, 0, 1, 0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_cargo_04 = -1.224905, 2, 0, -1, 0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_cargo_05 = 1.224905, -2, 0, 1, 0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_cargo_06 = -1.224905, -2, 0, -1, 0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_bottom_R = 0, 0, -1.732275, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 3
node_stack_top_L = 0, 0, 1.732275, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 3

I just used some old updating code I found on this forum and changed it slightly. I just pasted it under the node_stack_top definition.

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, strider3 said:

The FTT mod added 2 nuclear engines...but I have no LH2 tanks to fuel them with? What am I missing?

Should have come with the Kontainers and CRP so you should definitely have fuel tanks.

If you mouse over any of the containers in Logistics, right click. Do you see a list of switchable fuels? If not, you're probably missing a pre-requisite mod or it isn't installed right. Most of those tanks/containers can carry many, many different fuels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.