[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

For the ion engine. There is a small radial tank for "Rock" fuel.

I just dont know where to get replacement "rock" :)

I'll dig into how goodspeed works. They allow for automatic fuelbalance among tanks on a craft to not mess with the center of mass.

Url for goodspeed: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67163-0-23-Goodspeed-Automatic-Fuel-Pump-v2-14-1

Appears to be MM-config compatible. I'll dig some more.

/Rikard

TAC Fuel Balancer balances fuel too, but it doesn't have to have special modules put into parts.

Ahhh ok that's an ART part. Yeah, mine more asteroids :)

Heh ok. Maybe should have checked where all my stuff comes from :)

Btw, i have a suggetion for a new part.

A radially attached IR-servo for the VTOL fans.. Then you could use them for vtol as well as for forward propulsion.

If a few wings slapped on there as well, it'll help with lift and efficiency as well.

/Rikard

Heh ok. Maybe should have checked where all my stuff comes from :)

Btw, i have a suggetion for a new part.

A radially attached IR-servo for the VTOL fans.. Then you could use them for vtol as well as for forward propulsion.

If a few wings slapped on there as well, it'll help with lift and efficiency as well.

/Rikard

This capability already exists by just using IR... Don't think Roverdude really needs to do it again, does he?

TAC Fuel Balancer balances fuel too, but it doesn't have to have special modules put into parts.

TAC does indeet balance fuel in the cargo-pods, but i miss the auto-pump feature in goodspeed which i use for many utilityships and stations.

/Rikard

This capability already exists by just using IR... Don't think Roverdude really needs to do it again, does he?

True, but as the fans only attaches on the nodes, you can only attach it "out" from the hull, not alongside.

My thought was a part like the end-cap visual, that way you can attack 2 fans, one on each side.

/Rikard

I seem to have alot of crashes while experimenting with FTT.

I have alot of mods so i dont know for a fact it's FTT, but i only used parts from FTT, stock(landing gear) or Spaceplane+ (wings).

Link to output_log.txt : https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfbiesrmpmmn6xc/output_log.txt?dl=0

Link to craft-file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u6pf0w1bu75f18c/Untitled%20Space%20Craft.craft?dl=0

Link to persistence: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn3l8agbh8z8xrd/persistent.sfs?dl=0

I've had repeted crashes, sometimes building in SPH, sometimes "Launch"ing from sph and sometimes when reverting either to launch or sph.

And i dunno if the crashes are related to FTT, but those are the parts i've experimented in sandbox-mode.

Btw, the parts are awesome :)

Edit: image: http://i.imgur.com/Ztikiwu.png

/Rikard

Edited by mrstoned

Are you using FAR or NEAR?

I am not using either. Should I give NEAR a try? I used FAR for a few launches and found it way too difficult with my play style lol...

Edit: The Kontainers look super awesome :) will these be remodels of the supply barrels that come with OKS/MKS? Having all those in the hexagon style would be very cool.

Edited by deepfield
Saw Kontainers

Teaser time :D

IsjVZHZ.png

Yes... those are tiny radial ducted props.

And it is tied to both the engine and RCS systems (hence the little tail rotor)

Handles like a dream... even I can fly VTOLs now ;)

Once balancing is done it's larger cousin will see it's appearance on the honeybadger.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah... and I deorbited and landed under power with that lander. On Eve.

Teaser time :D

http://i.imgur.com/IsjVZHZ.png

Yes... those are tiny radial ducted props.

And it is tied to both the engine and RCS systems (hence the little tail rotor)

Handles like a dream... even I can fly VTOLs now ;)

Once balancing is done it's larger cousin will see it's appearance on the honeybadger.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah... and I deorbited and landed under power with that lander. On Eve.

Boooyah, peeps will want them nerfed lol!

Boooyah, peeps will want them nerfed lol!

Actually - their stats are pretty comparable to the folded electric prop you have in FireSpitter. A hair more thrust and efficiency due to the ducting, but bear in mind that is one LIGHT lander... also note all of the Karbonite fuel tanks and the generators ;)

Ya, well I think the leaving Eve is going to be the fun part. Spent most of the day working on VTOL SSTO's, the problem is that the Karbonite engines are extremely inferior to Sabre or Rapier engines. Which means you need a crapload more weight to get the same distance. All that extra weight ends up screwing you once the Karbonite engines run out of fuel. I was hoping to use one of Eve's plateaus as a landing site for VTOL SSTO's but so far I can barely get enough Dv to leave Kerbin's Atmo let alone Eve.

Ya, well I think the leaving Eve is going to be the fun part. Spent most of the day working on VTOL SSTO's, the problem is that the Karbonite engines are extremely inferior to Sabre or Rapier engines. Which means you need a crapload more weight to get the same distance. All that extra weight ends up screwing you once the Karbonite engines run out of fuel. I was hoping to use one of Eve's plateaus as a landing site for VTOL SSTO's but so far I can barely get enough Dv to leave Kerbin's Atmo let alone Eve.

Or do you just skip the SSTO bit and accept that you'll be dumping engines at some point? Figure a full tank or Karborundum is about 1,000,000 funds... I could see a model where a mining operation is set up, a launcher is parachuted down, fueled up in situ with LFO from converted Karbonite, and launched back into orbit. Grab a new lander and supplies on the return trip and you'd have a tidy and profitable mining operation.

Either that or move to eeloo and face a whole new set of challenges ;)

I don't really see funds as an issue, I have had a Self Sufficient colony in LKO with an EL workshop up for a while now. And I have yet to leave Kerbins SOI.

Also by the time you get to sending ships to Eve you should have a pretty well funded Space Program already.

I don't really see funds as an issue, I have had a Self Sufficient colony in LKO with an EL workshop up for a while now. And I have yet to leave Kerbins SOI.

Also by the time you get to sending ships to Eve you should have a pretty well funded Space Program already.

True, I'd probably go with the disposable delivery pod myself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.