[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

I use FAR and literally everytime it just flops over and such >.< I even visually recreated your Honeybadger from here
All my one does is 90 degrees flop and explodes xd

It's exceptionally difficult to pilot these with FAR on Kerbin. If someone ever makes alternate configs I'll happily take them, but yeah... I've been able to go slowly at low altitudes, but it's tough.

I use FAR and literally everytime it just flops over and such >.< I even visually recreated your Honeybadger from here

Davon Throttle Control will help with the flipping :)

make sure to turn off the horizontal engines in SPH while adjusting thrust vector to CoM. And while in flight with VTOL engines, keep the TWR below 1.5. I noticed the same effect with FAR in my own VTOL crafts in FAR. Using a throttle manager plugin will help keeping the vessel from flipping while still getting full thrust out of horizontal engines

RoverDude, I'm having some trouble in that the starlifter radial hydrogen tank does not seem to be able to pass fuel to whatever it is attached to. The only way I found to make it work is by connecting a fuel line to the main tank... but as far as I know you shouldn't have to do this in this situation. Here is an example of build I was testing where such problem happens:

4aWHeHN.jpg

A very simple craft. Nothing complex. No clipping parts. Total of 7 parts.

I have the CrossfeedEnabler plugin (came with B9). Maybe that is messing with the tanks?

It's exceptionally difficult to pilot these with FAR on Kerbin. If someone ever makes alternate configs I'll happily take them, but yeah... I've been able to go slowly at low altitudes, but it's tough.

VTOLS are frustratingly difficult to begin with. Trying to make them is probably the largest cause of my KSP rage quitting times.

Great looking mod as always.

I have noticed a few potential balance issues though, hope you don't mind me raising them:

Empty weight of hydrogen fuel tanks:

You empty tank weight is 4 times more than the equivalent tanks from near Future Propulsion.

FTT 40k unit hydrogen tank empty: 6t

NFP 40k unit hydrogen tank empty: ~1.5t

So the NFP tanks end up being much more efficient right now.

Fusion drives are insane:

:)

Seriously, I landed a VTOL fusion drive spaceplane on Eve on a pre-scouted refuelling site to fill up with Karborundum.

This thing then landed on every moon in the Jool system after leaving Eve, then went back to land in Kerbin with still 3/4 of a tank left.

I could have easily done a full tour on one tank of gas. Once you have a spaceplane with Karborundum and fusion drives it basically is game over.

I guess they will need to be very expensive to buy and very far down in the research tree to make up for how awesome they are?

Once again, great looking mod. I wish I could create something like this.

Oh yeah and a bit nit-picky but:

Your nuke rockets require a separate nuclear reactor? This really means that the engines are actually just thermal rockets, if the reactor is separate.

I know :rolleyes: I just had to say it...

Edited by Remi

TorchDrives aren't really meant for those transfers though, I mean yeah, your Kerbals will die of old age, or Kerbol will burn out before you use your 300 000 - 1 000 000 M/s of Delta Vees in Hohmann transfers but torchships are designed (I assume!) to make up for the spare parts running out so fast, so you can get to Eeloo from Eve in a week or two. that way you don't have to worry about maintaining stations of decades! The other thing is I would be against them is I were newer to KSP, since they are so much better than everything else, even the already overpowered 15 000 ISP fusion drives. But since I am a salty veteran I am full on in love with the wealth of new engineering challenges that making fast ships brings. For example Honey Badger RCS rings flatten and twist your ship if they are on the back of a ship at over 500 M/s^2 acceleration. A lot of things are tougher to get to work right at even 70-150 m/s^2 boosts, but otherwise it'll take too long to get to the entirely reasonable 200 km/s transfer speeds I am enjoying. A million new things to learn, and plotting intercept courses at those speeds seems to require a whole new skill set too. Also Aero breaking at even 100Km/s with FAR on is fairly high risk.

Great looking mod as always.

I have noticed a few potential balance issues though, hope you don't mind me raising them:

Empty weight of hydrogen fuel tanks:

You empty tank weight is 4 times more than the equivalent tanks from near Future Propulsion.

FTT 40k unit hydrogen tank empty: 6t

NFP 40k unit hydrogen tank empty: ~1.5t

So the NFP tanks end up being much more efficient right now.

Fusion drives are insane:

:)

Seriously, I landed a VTOL fusion drive spaceplane on Eve on a pre-scouted refuelling site to fill up with Karborundum.

This thing then landed on every moon in the Jool system after leaving Eve, then went back to land in Kerbin with still 3/4 of a tank left.

I could have easily done a full tour on one tank of gas. Once you have a spaceplane with Karborundum and fusion drives it basically is game over.

I guess they will need to be very expensive to buy and very far down in the research tree to make up for how awesome they are?

Once again, great looking mod. I wish I could create something like this.

Your nuke rockets require a separate nuclear reactor? This really means that the engines are actually just thermal rockets, if the reactor is separate.

Thanks - feedback is good :)

- Let me tweak mine to be in line with NFT tanks, since we play in the same playground.

- Which of the fusion ones? We have two different varieties. If it's the original fusion drives, their balance should be on par with the DT Vistas from KSPI (which were pretty much a game over for pre-warp). If you take a look at the Community Tech Tree, they will be all the way down at fusion drives. If the new torch drives, those are a different kettle of fish and should balance on par with KSPI's Alcubierre drive, and would be in a similar spot on the tech tree. But in both cases, balance is always an option :)

- I'll tweak the nukes to remove the EC requirement ;)

Well to nit-pick your nit-pick, Nuclear reactors are Thermal, since they heat water to drive a turbine. Heck we could almost call them Steam engines :sticktongue:

Given the insane difficulty of getting Karborundum in a career game I have no issue with any of the Karborundum drives being effectively 'game over'. Just finding a viable source of Karborundum on Eve is an undertaking that dwarfs putting an EPL setup in orbit around Jool with mining to support it. If you can unlock and then fuel up a Karborundum drive you're already in a position to do anything else anyway.

Well to nit-pick your nit-pick, Nuclear reactors are Thermal, since they heat water to drive a turbine. Heck we could almost call them Steam engines :sticktongue:

Nuclear rockets are thermal because they heat propellant (helium) directly. They do not produce electricity to generate the heat.

If you make the reactor external and use it to generate electricity as the indirect heat source, it is no longer a nuclear rocket. In this case it is a thermal rocket, and you could run it from a bunch of solar panels. You just happen to be using a reactor. You would call the whole ship a nuclear electric thermal rocket, or solar electric thermal rocket etc. But not the nozzle iteslf, it is just a thermal rocket.

You are right, it is a bit nit-picky, but the definition of nuclear rocket is more precise than just using a nuclear reactor in the chain.

By the way, you can quite comfortably run the nuclear rockets in FTT using solar panels from NFE, if you only use them in a vacuum. It would be impossible to run them in an atmosphere that way obviously.

They also only require less than half of displayed EC/s while in a vacuum.

Edited by Remi

Thanks - feedback is good :)

I'll tweak the nukes to remove the EC requirement ;)

Dont feel you need to do this because of me.

Your current design is a perfectly legitimate spaceship engine type.

It would be an "electric thermal rocket".

When used with a reactor it becomes a nuclear electric (thermal) rocket.

When using solar panels it would be a solar electric (thermal) rocket.

If you do decide to remove the EC requirement (which then implies the reactor is part of the model) it would be a true nuclear thermal rocket. Nuclear rocket for short.

Edited by Remi

When used with a reactor it becomes a nuclear electric (thermal) rocket.

When using solar panels it would be a solar electric (thermal) rocket.

This is missing hydroelectric thermal rocket.

If you think about it, you could have two reservoirs, and use initial thrust to push water through a turbine...

I installed this awesome looking mod (correct method) and for some reason it seams to have effected a couple of my other mods. Namely tweakscale - I no longer have any rescale sliders on any of my parts, and far - no longer have any weight / strength adjustment on my wings. I already had karbonite installed, and made no other changes to anything. Is any one aware of any issues that could of caused this? All was working fine before, and I'm not throwing up errors.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.