[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

I really like this mod, and I'm about to use these for the first time. They remind me a lot of the UGCO Freighter from a mod for Orbiter.

However, I heard you were planning to make deep space asteroid mining using the StarLifter (maybe another ship) with Asteroid Recycling Technologies. Will this not create problems with rendez-vous-ing in interplanetary space (floating point errors and such) ?

Thank you very much for this mod Rover ! I will make good use of it.

How do you transfer stored science from the wolverine command pod?

I used it for a run to Duna, but I can't get the stored science out of the pod for transfer to a different ship that should take it Kerbin side. All it's giving me while in EVA is the option to repaint the pod.

RoverDude -- thanks a bunch for this package! I've been working on an all-electric airship project for some time now, and this mod's ducted fans (and the micro ducted fan from the USI Exploration Pack) are exactly what I needed to make it practical. Firespitter has electric propellers, but electric propellers that respond to RCS controls are much easier to use. You really are the reason (one reason) that my program will be successful.

I like being able to bring large amounts of stuff with only a handful of parts. but I have a couple issues with it so far.

I'm terrible at flying vtols so I burn through mono fuel at a startling rate. Would it be possible to add it to the all the storage containers? particularly the honey badger ones.

Second, there is no honey badger battery pack so if you try to turn the nuke off and run on batteries you run out of power pretty fast with just what is included. Again would be nice to see battery power added to the containers, especially the badger ones.

I like being able to bring large amounts of stuff with only a handful of parts. but I have a couple issues with it so far.

I'm terrible at flying vtols so I burn through mono fuel at a startling rate. Would it be possible to add it to the all the storage containers? particularly the honey badger ones.

Second, there is no honey badger battery pack so if you try to turn the nuke off and run on batteries you run out of power pretty fast with just what is included. Again would be nice to see battery power added to the containers, especially the badger ones.

Honeybadger control modules hold 750 monoprop and 4000 electriccharge, which would seem to solve both of the problems you're having.

Last night I was setting up my full scale ART shipyard potato in High Kerbin Orbit, and was in the final phase of stocking it. I've got a big and productive Munar colony, so my plan was to ship 2000 tons of metal over to get cracking on building EL ships. I couldn't find a good part to move metal (or Polys or chems) other than the 1200 radial bottle or Inflatables.

Is this a working as intended or something we can hope to see in the future?

Moving ore etc seems a lot less efficient since it is only 1 /10th metal. I get not having Containers for Structural/Mech parts, since they are roughly mass neutral with their ingredients, but I foresee a lot of moving of metal (And someday maybe the chems/polys.) In the end I bolted on enough 1200 bottles and made two 1000T trips, so it wasn't the end of the world or anything, but I'd love to have Kontainers for refined goods.

Hey RoverDude, congratulations on producing another amazing mod. You have no idea how much your work is appreciated.

FTT is great but since I'm not running big engines (basically stock engines, so 3.75 m max) I can't really get the StarLifter parts into orbit.

I cfg-edited and rescaled it as a 2.5 m set (0.5 rescale factor), do you have any suggestions on how the capacities, weights, costs should be scaled?

So far I just divided capacity and weight by 10 as a very rough draft.

@Kerbas_ad_astra - glad you dig it!

@ouch - Log a github issue to request monoprop storage ;) It's worth registering just so you can make feature requests. Also - leave the nukes on.

@CTCParadox - scaling starlifters gets a bit weird. You can launch it up to orbit with the 3.75m parts - just be sure to empty everything out first.

On the topic of monopropellant, the FTT control module's rcs ports feel way overpowered and cause me to go through monopropellant at an alarming rate. Is this something I should just tweak in my own files or have others experienced the same thing?

Last night I was setting up my full scale ART shipyard potato in High Kerbin Orbit, and was in the final phase of stocking it. I've got a big and productive Munar colony, so my plan was to ship 2000 tons of metal over to get cracking on building EL ships. I couldn't find a good part to move metal (or Polys or chems) other than the 1200 radial bottle or Inflatables.

Is this a working as intended or something we can hope to see in the future?

Moving ore etc seems a lot less efficient since it is only 1 /10th metal. I get not having Containers for Structural/Mech parts, since they are roughly mass neutral with their ingredients, but I foresee a lot of moving of metal (And someday maybe the chems/polys.) In the end I bolted on enough 1200 bottles and made two 1000T trips, so it wasn't the end of the world or anything, but I'd love to have Kontainers for refined goods.

The Metal resource is shared with EPL, so EPL's 2.5m container is probably your best bet for Metal.

On the topic of monopropellant, the FTT control module's rcs ports feel way overpowered and cause me to go through monopropellant at an alarming rate. Is this something I should just tweak in my own files or have others experienced the same thing?

If you're using them on Kerbin for VTOL control, very likely - you will blow through monoprop at a scary rate. Use them in vacuum ;)

i need to say cargo bays all slithly to small to transport MKS modules within base(small i think have to small diameter not length) so there is a lot of wobling and sometimes explosions

hmmm... post a pic?

The Metal resource is shared with EPL, so EPL's 2.5m container is probably your best bet for Metal.

Can also just MM one of the configs - or ask someone nicely to get me a github issue if one is not there already :)

If you're using them on Kerbin for VTOL control, very likely - you will blow through monoprop at a scary rate. Use them in vacuum ;)

I am using them in a vacuum, and for general maneuvering they are awesome. My problem is more for docking where I need very precise controls and they're overpowered times ten. I've sort of solved it by adding extra rcs thrusters and disabling the control unit, but it'd be cool if you could mod in a toggle setting for RCS power.

I am using them in a vacuum, and for general maneuvering they are awesome. My problem is more for docking where I need very precise controls and they're overpowered times ten. I've sort of solved it by adding extra rcs thrusters and disabling the control unit, but it'd be cool if you could mod in a toggle setting for RCS power.

Gotcha - the usual rub is that the freighters can have massive variances in weight. Let me noodle it over.

I found that turning on precision mode saves oodles of rcs. And disabling it while landing and taking off gives you that extra control you need for those operations. Once I started doing that I found I had enough Mono Fuel to last the mission... But just barely... We really do need an extra Mono fuel tank I think. Simply adding mono fuel to the list of resources for all the storage parts should be fine.

Or maybe making the RCS parts double their thickness to store more?

@CTCParadox - scaling starlifters gets a bit weird. You can launch it up to orbit with the 3.75m parts - just be sure to empty everything out first.

Thanks! Anything in particular get weird? I'll give launching the full size parts another shot. Some of the starlifter parts don't fit in the 3.75 m fairings which is why I tried to scale them.

What ouch said. Use Capslock precision control it will give you the fine control for RCS and reduce your Mono consumption.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.