[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

0.3.0 is up!

• KSP 0.90 compatibility
  • Converted over to Regolith for all generators
  • Updated Honeybadger reactor - now larger and with radiators
  • Added Metal, Chemical, Polymer, and RocketParts Kontainers
  • Converted nukes to be LH2 only, and tweaked ISP/cost to be comparable to stock nukes
  • Adjusted LH2 volume in spherical tanks
  • Tweaked down the large toroidal SAS, made both StarLifter SAS modules scale linearly with stock
  • Tweaked the reactors - especially price - to be inline with NFT
  • CTT Integration
  • The Honeybadger parts are under Gigantic Rocketry
  • The StarLifter parts are under Colossal Rocketry
  • Nuclear engines are under High-Efficiency Nuclear Propulsion
  • Nuclear reactors are under Large-Scale Nuclear Power
  • All ducted fan engines are under Experimental Aircraft Engines

Yes, all of the parts are available in the tech tree. The tech tree has been around for enough versions of KSP that nobody writes sandbox-only parts any more.

To be fair, the OP still says: "this is a pre-release, so there are still some minor texturing adjustments being made, as well as proper tech tree integration." which leads people to believe it is not in the tech tree yet.

Big diff between tech tree integration and actually being *in* the tech tree ;) We're pretty well past the days of mods not having any node at all.

except when you have a MM config that blanks out all the TechRequired nodes when CTT and TechManager are present. ;)

https://github.com/BobPalmer/FTT/blob/master/GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/FTT/CTT.cfg

I haven't seen any .craft files in this thread yet (by far didn't read it all though), so I thought I'd share my creation.

Requires Freight Transport Technologies, Karbonite and Tweakscale, I also recommend mechjeb, but more on that later.

It is a atmospheric VTOL craft, tested on Kerbin and Duna, that is designed for maximum stability, by making sure the CoT is always very close to the CoM, despite fuel usage. The RCS is overkill, I just personally like it for manual docking, but you can take off a ring on each stack safely.

badger.png

It is capable of extracting Karbonite in atmosphere and on ground, can scan for it and produce LFO from it. Has 2 docking ports senior in the back.

Usage:

Action Groups:

1: toggle all engines

2: toggle LFO engines

3: toggle fans

vtol mode:

The inbuilt hover function works but it stutters - I recommend mechjeb (the .craft file comes without it attached):

Use smart ass on surf->surf with HDG 90, PIT 0, Rol 0 (or just sas+rcs), then use either throttle for height control or translatron on keep vert.

Don't forget to start the reactor, or you'll fall like a rock when the battery runs out.

Download (SPH craft):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44766482/Badger.craft

Roverdude, the phase 2 stuff is HUGE! How is one supposed to get that to orbit? I'm trying to space a big freighter capable of hauling 168,000 liters of LFO to pretty much anywhere in the system, but I cant even get it to space EMPTY! This is of course only made worse by the lack of orbital construction options. A large 5m docking port in the form factor or some other way to facilitate orbital assembly with these would be FANTASTIC. I'd also suggest a flatter 5m-to-5m-flat-truss adapter to help shrink things a bit when orbitally building a space train. It'd also end up looking like a really cool divider between payload sections and would give a nice way to aesthetically tuck in those docking ports.

Also, as for refueling these things, I think the LiquidHydrogen converter in Karbonite should be on the converter, not the distiller. Scientifically speaking, if karbonite is a hydrocarbon, then you'd need to 'crack' the molecule to extract the H, and molecule cracking is not a physical separation like distillation. Just me 2-cent nitpick.

Roverdude, the phase 2 stuff is HUGE! How is one supposed to get that to orbit? I'm trying to space a big freighter capable of hauling 168,000 liters of LFO to pretty much anywhere in the system, but I cant even get it to space EMPTY! This is of course only made worse by the lack of orbital construction options. A large 5m docking port in the form factor or some other way to facilitate orbital assembly with these would be FANTASTIC. I'd also suggest a flatter 5m-to-5m-flat-truss adapter to help shrink things a bit when orbitally building a space train. It'd also end up looking like a really cool divider between payload sections and would give a nice way to aesthetically tuck in those docking ports.

Also, as for refueling these things, I think the LiquidHydrogen converter in Karbonite should be on the converter, not the distiller. Scientifically speaking, if karbonite is a hydrocarbon, then you'd need to 'crack' the molecule to extract the H, and molecule cracking is not a physical separation like distillation. Just me 2-cent nitpick.

EPL was just updated, There is always orbital construction =D Thats what i do anyway.

LH2 Moved to distiller to give it something to do ;) As for orbit - I've gotten many of these into orbit, no issue. Both with and without FAR. You are going to have some LARGE ships tho. And yes, that's shipping them up empty. Orbital assembly would not work with docking ports as they will tend to rip themselves apart due to how docking port joints work.

what happened to the tripple honeybear connector? i can only find the single addon legg.

(See below)

I believe it was replaced by the single one because of limitations with connection nodes.

The docking port problem can be *partially* overcome by increasing their mass. A docking port at this size in line with the pack's mass balancing would probably hold pretty well.

Question 2: how do you build them so big? The karborundum ore freighter is larger than anything I can build in the VAB, even if I start pushing the tail end down into the floor (also gets hard to build the launch vehicle like that). Speaking of launch vehicles, what does the launch vehicle for that particular one look like?

I've been poking around with this for a bit now, and the 5M docking port definitely needs some help, as it's too easy to break off the docking port, which is making launching a starlifter tug kinda difficult, as I keep ripping off the aft docking port during launch.

That said, the main reason for posting is a request for a new type of outrigger, based on the StarLifter Outrigger, possibly incorporating a few design tweaks as seen:

FTTSuggestion.png

While it would be nice to have a longer boom for the outrigger, it's not a must have.

Edited by almagnus1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.