[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

1 hour ago, NermNermNerm said:

I'm trying to build a ship based on the GNR-3750 Nuclear Engine, and I must be holding it wrong or something because the engine overheats on long burns.  My latest example includes 16 stock "Radiator Panel (large)" plus 3 "Thermal Control System (large)" plus one "Thermal Control System (medium)" and still a full-thrust burn will cause it to overheat before I can even get to the Mun.  Is there a companion part I should be using?

I don't know whether it's essential, but I use Nertea's Heat Control.

4 hours ago, NermNermNerm said:

I'm trying to build a ship based on the GNR-3750 Nuclear Engine, and I must be holding it wrong or something because the engine overheats on long burns.  My latest example includes 16 stock "Radiator Panel (large)" plus 3 "Thermal Control System (large)" plus one "Thermal Control System (medium)" and still a full-thrust burn will cause it to overheat before I can even get to the Mun.  Is there a companion part I should be using?

Sounds like a bug - please log a github issue.

3 hours ago, CSE said:

I don't know whether it's essential, but I use Nertea's Heat Control.

This is not essential, given I don't require other mods (other than included dependencies) to be used with FTT.

I filed an issue against the GNR-3750's overheating problem:  https://github.com/BobPalmer/FTT/issues/177

When I re-engining the overheating GNR-3750-based craft from my last post, it was kinda irksome to discover that switching my craft from the overheating GNR's to the plain-old Rhino didn't change the Delta-V very much.

I think it might be worth reconsidering the density of liquid hydrogen or the mass of the GNR engines.  Take a look at this table - I created a ship using 500t payload (to diminish the effect of the mass of the engines), a single "Kontainer Tank - Round (15m)" and enough engines to generate ~2k thrust.

Wet Mass(t) delta-v(m/s)
Rhino (1) 2534 4129
GNR-3750 (1) 1303 4385
LV-N "Nerv" Atomic Rocket Motor(33) 2628 9061

Like probably a lot of people, I'm thinking of the GNR engines for traveling between fuel depots (and not trying to lift it off of Kerban).  If you triple the number of fuel tanks on the GNR to bring the wet mass up around where the stock engines are, then you get a more impressive delta-v (7084), but still not better than the Nerv's.

I gotta say up until now I just always put Nerv engines on all my interplanetary craft without really giving it much thought.  I had wanted to use the GNR's to replace the Nerv's for a long time if only because of the vast numbers of engines you have to use to power large craft (it took me a while to get the refuelling infrastructure up on Jool to do it).  I haven't wrapped my head around the above table yet.  The one thing I can say for sure is that I want something cool to come of the added difficulty of using the Nuclear engine, and the data shows that if there is such a thing, it's not being able to design ships that are less dominated by fuel tanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Love all these mods in this series...

However, USI tools causes an immediate CTD, on game load, out of several dozen mods this folder is the only one my game can't load and crashes on.

Saw the latest update is for KSP 1.2..

Is a 1.3 compatible version in the works?

Thanks!

55 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Love all these mods in this series...

However, USI tools causes an immediate CTD, on game load, out of several dozen mods this folder is the only one my game can't load and crashes on.

Saw the latest update is for KSP 1.2..

Is a 1.3 compatible version in the works?

Thanks!

This mod is 1.3 compatible.  Grab the latest release off github.

OK Will do.

However the USI Tools even latest version causes CTD's on every game load attempt...

Does the USI Tools Folder have any other dependencies to load into the game?

Otherwise, I wonder where the conflict is and if its a conflict w another mod?

Have about 3-4 dozen mods all working together...

Edited by Kilo60

You posted previously in the Otter submersible thread, which has been packaged into the Exploration pack and so is not updated. If you have the USITools version from that, you are not running the latest version. Delete USI Tools, download USITools itself fresh from the catalog page, and install that.

15 hours ago, RoverDude said:

To add - find an IVA you like from another six man capsule, and just copy/paste the IVA settings from the config (or add in via MM) if you are so inclined.  I don't use a stock one as there are no stock six-man IVAs.

What about the IVA from the stock 6- man space shuttle cockpit?  Seems like it would make a good fit?

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:57 AM, RoverDude said:

To add - find an IVA you like from another six man capsule, and just copy/paste the IVA settings from the config (or add in via MM) if you are so inclined.  I don't use a stock one as there are no stock six-man IVAs.

O.K.  So I tried doing exactly this with the Shuttle IVA into the Orca but it still won't show...

Inserted:

INTERNAL
{
  name = MK3_Cockpit_Int
}

From the Shuttle into the:

FTT_Pod_375_01.CFG

Still, No Joy...

Is there a guide somewhere on how to do this via, copy paste settings from the config?

• 1 month later...

I gave the Ducted Fan engines a try today (e.g. "Large Ducted Fan Engine", "Honeybadger VTOL Atomospheric Engine") and was surprised to find that they don't work on Duna.  They work on Kerban and Laythe, but not on Duna.  Given the opening video for this thread, that's surprising and probably not right.  I just want to make sure I'm not doing it wrong.

The craft consists of a Honeybadger command pod, Honeybadger nuclear reactor, and the engines.  The engine shows "Thrust: 0.0 kN / Specific Impulse: 150.0m/s / Status: Flame-Out! / Cause: Air combustion failed".  "IntakeAtm reads 4.5".

It's not a faulty craft; like I said, if I haul the same thing onto Laythe, the engines fire right up.

Edited by NermNermNerm
specified nuclear reactor type

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2017 at 10:26 PM, NermNermNerm said:

I gave the Ducted Fan engines a try today (e.g. "Large Ducted Fan Engine", "Honeybadger VTOL Atomospheric Engine") and was surprised to find that they don't work on Duna.  They work on Kerban and Laythe, but not on Duna.  Given the opening video for this thread, that's surprising and probably not right.  I just want to make sure I'm not doing it wrong.

The craft consists of a Honeybadger command pod, Honeybadger nuclear reactor, and the engines.  The engine shows "Thrust: 0.0 kN / Specific Impulse: 150.0m/s / Status: Flame-Out! / Cause: Air combustion failed".  "IntakeAtm reads 4.5".

It's not a faulty craft; like I said, if I haul the same thing onto Laythe, the engines fire right up.

Consider the following; do those engines burn fuel and require air intakes? Cause there's no oxygen in the atmosphere on Duna, but there is on Laythe and Kerbin. Duna's atmo is mostly CO2. Air-breathing engines won't work. If they're electrically driven, that's another issue. 

Edited by aviatorEngineer
Clarification of Duna's atmospheric makeup

On 8.11.2017 at 4:26 AM, NermNermNerm said:

The engine shows "Thrust: 0.0 kN / Specific Impulse: 150.0m/s / Status: Flame-Out! / Cause: Air combustion failed".  "IntakeAtm reads 4.5".

Don't mess up the both ressources.

IntakeAir means Oxygen is present (Kerbin)

IntakeAtm means it is a atmosphere present but this must not include Oxygen. (Duna)

A engine with IntakeAir would not work if only IntakeAtm is present. Like Jets.

As @aviatorEngineer mentioned above this is the problem of your craft.

On 11/7/2017 at 10:26 PM, NermNermNerm said:

Show us the craft.  Ducted fans should work on Duna, but there were some changes in prior KSP versions that may have them be less efficient due to atmospheric density.

On 11/16/2017 at 7:52 AM, RoverDude said:

Show us the craft.  Ducted fans should work on Duna, but there were some changes in prior KSP versions that may have them be less efficient due to atmospheric density.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArmF2ajumPvrhKVKgF4Ns1GaYXw8Vw

But I suspect it'd be easier to repro it without bothering to download:

1) Go To VAB
2) Grab a Honeybadger Command Pod
3) Glue on a Honeybadger Nuclear Reactor
4) Glue on a Large Ducted Fan Engine
5) Glue on a 'Honeybadger' VTOL Atmospheric Engine
6) Hyperedit it to Duna
7) Activate the reactor
8) Try and make it do anything

To the other posters, these are both electric engines.

• 1 month later...

For some reason I do not have the pictured HB Landing gear anywhere in my parts?

Where are the landing gear and/or how do I ad them?

Are the gear somewhere else other than in the "Gear" parts tab?

The stock gear are all too small..

Thanks!

Edited by Kilo60

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.