RoverDude

[1.3] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

314 members have voted

  1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

    • Propfan: Just right!
      174
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
      35
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
      102
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
      129
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!
      25


Recommended Posts

Ok, reinstalled all USI and Roverdude mods via CKAN and finally got the LG to display.

 

However, no matter what I try the ducted fans completely drain the Nuke reactor of EC after about 1.3M AGL and the command pod goes out throwing off the gyros and the fans all lose their lift.

 

What the heck do I need to do to keep up the EC to properly gain Altitude?

 

Tried different setups and weights etc to no avail...

 

Thanks! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

I've revisited this mod with mixed results.

No matter what configuration I try, the ducted fans simply refuse to get any variation of craft off the ground. The inline fans work when used in sufficient numbers, but they feel underpowered (i.e. you can make one if you throw enough engines at it, but it can't carry very much).

The problems I had with the ducted fans:

  • The stationary thrust is insufficient
  • When enough fans are added to achieve a TWR > 1, more reactors are required
  • When enough reactors are added, even more fans are required
  • When there are enough fans and reactors, the fans only produce a fraction of the intakeAtm required to run them - The Atlas fans for example, only suck in enough air to run the engines at ~10%
  • Even when somehow, I manage to get enough intakes and reactors to run the fans, the TWR is reported by Engineer as more than enough (>2.0) but the craft fails to move.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong here, I'm 95% sure there's something wrong with the configs for those engines, but I have no idea what. 

The other VTOL Engine (the inline LFO variant) works a treat, so I'm guessing that something's changed in KSP since the mod was released that breaks the EC/IntakeAtm variants. Unfortunately, I have no idea what that is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, Kielm said:

Hi, 

I've revisited this mod with mixed results.

No matter what configuration I try, the ducted fans simply refuse to get any variation of craft off the ground. The inline fans work when used in sufficient numbers, but they feel underpowered (i.e. you can make one if you throw enough engines at it, but it can't carry very much).

The problems I had with the ducted fans:

  • The stationary thrust is insufficient
  • When enough fans are added to achieve a TWR > 1, more reactors are required
  • When enough reactors are added, even more fans are required
  • When there are enough fans and reactors, the fans only produce a fraction of the intakeAtm required to run them - The Atlas fans for example, only suck in enough air to run the engines at ~10%
  • Even when somehow, I manage to get enough intakes and reactors to run the fans, the TWR is reported by Engineer as more than enough (>2.0) but the craft fails to move.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong here, I'm 95% sure there's something wrong with the configs for those engines, but I have no idea what. 

The other VTOL Engine (the inline LFO variant) works a treat, so I'm guessing that something's changed in KSP since the mod was released that breaks the EC/IntakeAtm variants. Unfortunately, I have no idea what that is. 

Agreed!

The Nuke reactor also can't maintain current for full thrust of 4 VTOL engines as it drops the command pod EC to 0 at about 1500AGL...

 

Even adding and activating fuel cells, solar panels in full sunlight, etc... does nothing for the EC charge...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, trying to play with the GNRs I ran into a problem. Given the tank mass:LH2 mass ratio, the highest Delta-V that can be obtained is actually lower than that of the NERV as far as I can tell (by a huge margin). If I had enough tankage (which is a huge amount of tankage) to get myself down to the same TWR that I have with craft running NERVs, the Delta-V is far lower. This is because the CRP definition for LH2 has about 1.4% of the density of LiquidFuel (which is accurate to the density of real LH2) and about 1/5th of the volume. This means that a tank with LH2 can hold about 7% of the mass of a tank that holds liquidfuel. With that ratio (and using the Kontainer Tanks from USI), that means about 64% of the mass of a container tank full of LH2 is the tank itself which results in LH2 based engines simply not being able to carry enough LH2 to go anywhere.

Am I missing something? As far as I can tell... GNRs are worse in nearly every factor than a NERV is. They have a slight gimble which is nice, but they don't have the NERV's alternator and their effective max Delta-V is about 1/3th of a NERV due to tank weight.

FYI, it appears that the only reason Cryo Engines is able to use LH2 is because most of the mass those engines burn is actually oxidizer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone had any trouble with the RCS jet plumes on the Honeybadger showing in the wrong direction in 1.4.3? This happens in all directions. For example if I press the H key the Badger moves forward but the jet plume also exhausts forward towards the nose of the badger. These are the only RCS jets in my heavily modded game that do this. Other than the visual, the jets work just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2018 at 3:43 PM, NorthernBruce said:

Has anyone had any trouble with the RCS jet plumes on the Honeybadger showing in the wrong direction in 1.4.3? This happens in all directions. For example if I press the H key the Badger moves forward but the jet plume also exhausts forward towards the nose of the badger. These are the only RCS jets in my heavily modded game that do this. Other than the visual, the jets work just fine.

Same for me. I've also had to manually add the RCS to the RCS Action Group. And, since I have to do that, is there anything else that needs to be added that's not by default? Like action wheels to SAS?

Also I think the plumes are just really overly large / exaggerated. My Honeybadger is almost 50m long and the plumes extend half the ship, that's a bit outrageous!

Lastly PLEASE bring back the triple radial outrigger! Trying to line them up separate is really, really annoying. Having the individual pieces is fine but also include the 3-pc one as well. It would be a GREAT convenience!

Edited by DefenderX1
Added more stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2018 at 8:43 PM, NorthernBruce said:

Has anyone had any trouble with the RCS jet plumes on the Honeybadger showing in the wrong direction in 1.4.3? This happens in all directions. For example if I press the H key the Badger moves forward but the jet plume also exhausts forward towards the nose of the badger. These are the only RCS jets in my heavily modded game that do this. Other than the visual, the jets work just fine.

It's apparently a problem with the newer RCSFX introduced to the game and the mod not yet being updated to reflect the changes.

After a little scouring of the interwebs, I managed to piece this fix together. Simply go to Gamedata/UmbraSpaceIndustries/FTT/Parts and open the file named "FTT_Control_375_01" using notepad. This is the part file for the control module. Simply overwrite everything in there with the config below and you should have regular plumes again.

Almost everything is as Roverdude originally wrote with the exception of the additions of the tweaks to fix the effects. I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds by altering and showing this. If so, I apologise.

 

PART
{
// --- general parameters ---
name = FTT_Control_375_01
module = Part
author = RoverDude

// --- asset parameters ---
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1
MODEL
{
	model = UmbraSpaceIndustries/FTT/Assets/FTT_Control_375_01
}

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.25, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.25, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3


// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = heavierRocketry
entryCost = 7600
cost = 3800
category = Control
subcategory = 0
title = 'Honeybadger' Control Module
manufacturer = Umbra Space Industries
description = 3.75m control module with built in SAS and RCS thrusters
breakingForce = 203040
breakingTorque = 203040
tags = FTT

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 1.25
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.20
minimum_drag = 0.15
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 45
maxTemp = 3400
bulkheadProfiles = size3

//MODULE
//{
//	name = ModuleRCS
//	thrusterTransformName = RCS_Transform
//	thrusterPower = 12
//	resourceName = MonoPropellant
//	resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
//	atmosphereCurve
// 	{
//   	 key = 0 260
//  	 key = 1 100
// 	}
//}

EFFECTS
{
	running
	{
		AUDIO_MULTI_POOL
		{
			channel = Ship
			transformName = RCS_Transform
			clip = sound_rocket_mini
			volume = 0.0 0.0
			volume = 0.1 0.0
			volume = 0.5 0.025
			volume = 1.0 0.15
			pitch = 0.0 0.75
			pitch = 1.0 1.0
			loop = true
		}
		MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
		{
			modelName = Squad/FX/Monoprop_small
			transformName = RCS_Transform
			emission = 0.0 0.0
			emission = 0.1 0.0
			emission = 1.0 1.0
			speed = 0.0 0.8
			speed = 1.0 1.0
			localRotation = -90, 0, 0
		}
	}		
}
	
MODULE
{
	name = ModuleRCSFX
	stagingEnabled = False
	thrusterTransformName = RCS_Transform
	thrusterPower = 12
	resourceName = MonoPropellant
	resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
	atmosphereCurve
	{
	key = 0 260
	key = 1 100
	}
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleReactionWheel

	PitchTorque = 30
	YawTorque = 30
	RollTorque = 30

	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		rate = 0.6
	}
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleSAS
}

RESOURCE
{
	name = ElectricCharge
	amount = 4000
	maxAmount = 4000
}

RESOURCE
{
	name = MonoPropellant
	amount = 750
	maxAmount = 750
}

  MODULE
  {
      name = ModuleResourceConverter_USI
      ConverterName = Compressor
	  StartActionName = Start Compressor
  	  StopActionName = Stop Compressor
	INPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = IntakeAtm
		Ratio = 5
	}
	INPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = ElectricCharge
		Ratio = 150
	}
	OUTPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = MonoPropellant
		Ratio = 0.5
		DumpExcess = false
	}
  }
}

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2018 at 10:02 AM, Scratchy_UK said:

It's apparently a problem with the newer RCSFX introduced to the game and the mod not yet being updated to reflect the changes.

After a little scouring of the interwebs, I managed to piece this fix together. Simply go to Gamedata/UmbraSpaceIndustries/FTT/Parts and open the file named "FTT_Control_375_01" using notepad. This is the part file for the control module. Simply overwrite everything in there with the config below and you should have regular plumes again.

Almost everything is as Roverdude originally wrote with the exception of the additions of the tweaks to fix the effects. I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds by altering and showing this. If so, I apologise.

 


PART
{
// --- general parameters ---
name = FTT_Control_375_01
module = Part
author = RoverDude

// --- asset parameters ---
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1
MODEL
{
	model = UmbraSpaceIndustries/FTT/Assets/FTT_Control_375_01
}

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.25, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.25, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3


// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = heavierRocketry
entryCost = 7600
cost = 3800
category = Control
subcategory = 0
title = 'Honeybadger' Control Module
manufacturer = Umbra Space Industries
description = 3.75m control module with built in SAS and RCS thrusters
breakingForce = 203040
breakingTorque = 203040
tags = FTT

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 1.25
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.20
minimum_drag = 0.15
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 45
maxTemp = 3400
bulkheadProfiles = size3

//MODULE
//{
//	name = ModuleRCS
//	thrusterTransformName = RCS_Transform
//	thrusterPower = 12
//	resourceName = MonoPropellant
//	resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
//	atmosphereCurve
// 	{
//   	 key = 0 260
//  	 key = 1 100
// 	}
//}

EFFECTS
{
	running
	{
		AUDIO_MULTI_POOL
		{
			channel = Ship
			transformName = RCS_Transform
			clip = sound_rocket_mini
			volume = 0.0 0.0
			volume = 0.1 0.0
			volume = 0.5 0.025
			volume = 1.0 0.15
			pitch = 0.0 0.75
			pitch = 1.0 1.0
			loop = true
		}
		MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
		{
			modelName = Squad/FX/Monoprop_small
			transformName = RCS_Transform
			emission = 0.0 0.0
			emission = 0.1 0.0
			emission = 1.0 1.0
			speed = 0.0 0.8
			speed = 1.0 1.0
			localRotation = -90, 0, 0
		}
	}		
}
	
MODULE
{
	name = ModuleRCSFX
	stagingEnabled = False
	thrusterTransformName = RCS_Transform
	thrusterPower = 12
	resourceName = MonoPropellant
	resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
	atmosphereCurve
	{
	key = 0 260
	key = 1 100
	}
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleReactionWheel

	PitchTorque = 30
	YawTorque = 30
	RollTorque = 30

	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		rate = 0.6
	}
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleSAS
}

RESOURCE
{
	name = ElectricCharge
	amount = 4000
	maxAmount = 4000
}

RESOURCE
{
	name = MonoPropellant
	amount = 750
	maxAmount = 750
}

  MODULE
  {
      name = ModuleResourceConverter_USI
      ConverterName = Compressor
	  StartActionName = Start Compressor
  	  StopActionName = Stop Compressor
	INPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = IntakeAtm
		Ratio = 5
	}
	INPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = ElectricCharge
		Ratio = 150
	}
	OUTPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = MonoPropellant
		Ratio = 0.5
		DumpExcess = false
	}
  }
}

 

Thanks for sharing this -- if the mod takes a little while  more to update, I'll do this trick :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2017 at 3:57 PM, RoverDude said:

To add - find an IVA you like from another six man capsule, and just copy/paste the IVA settings from the config (or add in via MM) if you are so inclined.  I don't use a stock one as there are no stock six-man IVAs.

Can you please give some step by step guide for noobs as me? I have two command pods which has 6 man cap from near future spacecraft mod, and want to port it to Orca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, revan1611 said:

Can you please give some step by step guide for noobs as me? I have two command pods which has 6 man cap from near future spacecraft mod, and want to port it to Orca

The modulemanager thread has tons of tutorials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

The modulemanager thread has tons of tutorials.

Should i look in answer section or is it somewhere in main post? I looked but didn't found any guide :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, revan1611 said:

Should i look in answer section or is it somewhere in main post? I looked but didn't found any guide :(

https://www.google.com/search?q=ksp+module+manager+tutorial&rlz=1C1CHWL_enUS736US737&oq=ksp+module+manager+tutorial&aqs=chrome..69i57.6082j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

 

Or just peruse any of the part config files of any mod.  It's pretty self explanatory once you see a few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2018 at 6:47 PM, Darinth said:

Am I missing something? As far as I can tell... GNRs are worse in nearly every factor than a NERV is. They have a slight gimble which is nice, but they don't have the NERV's alternator and their effective max Delta-V is about 1/3th of a NERV due to tank weight.

No, it's impossible to get even 4000dV in a single stage with the GNR engines.

Kontainers follow the stock 8 kg LF to 1 kg tank ratio. At that ratio the maximum possible deltaV with a NERV is 800*g0*log((8+1)/1) = 17238 m/s deltaV. To have the same limit for GNR engines you would need a LH2 tank with a wet:dry ratio of 9^(800/900) ~ 7. Instead, Kontainers have the same dry mass for any contents and same volume of LF and LH2, so they only carry 7% as much mass of LH2 as of LF, giving a wet:dry ratio of 1.56 and a deltaV limit of 3925 m/s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made a tiny config to retrofit the IVA-less Orca cockpit with the wonderful OPT K IVA.
You'll of course need the OPT Space Plane mod (or at least the IVA files).

https://pastebin.com/raw/Gj857PbQ

Save it as a .cfg in your KSP/GameData/ folder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Has this Mod been updated yet?

 

Thanks!

Release notes FTW! (as in reading them)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if this has been resolved elsewhere or is the result of some mod incompatibility on my part, but I can't remove science experiments from the Orca command module.  The only options I'm presented with when EVAing outside it are to 'Perform maintenance' and 'Disassemble Part.'  I've tried fiddling with its config file, but I haven't been able to accomplish anything.  This is the only place I found someone with a similar issue, but none of the solutions there worked.  This is the closest I've come to a general solution, but I have no real idea of where to add or how to create the custom patch to get it to work (I've looked, but everything I've seen seems to be missing that detail).

EDIT: Got it fixed.  Went into the part's config file and bumping up the storageRange on the ModuleScienceContainer block from 2.0 to 3.0 got it fixed.

Edited by Skootsbee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.