Sci-fi recommendations?

GoSlash27

If you are in for a severely dated Sci-Fi then check out The Last Starfighter.

Still holds my title for most badass bad guy.

That movie turned me into a gaming maniac. Not that I expected Robert Preston to come pick me up if I scored big in "Galaxy Force." Well, maybe a little. :cool:

TV shows: V. (not V for Vendetta. Just... V.)

Fan trailer used because I couldn't find the original. This recently got remade by Abrams, but I'm talking about the old one.

Edited by vger

I wouldn't exactly say it's "out of the mainstream" since it's been getting quite excellent ratings, but one I've rather enjoyed (that's about to enter its fourth season this fall, actually) is Person of Interest:

Another one I've been enjoying of late (particularly since I've been rewatching it over the past few weeks) is Space Brothers, about two brothers who both end up pursuing their lifelong dream of becoming astronauts:

(Incidentally, it's also the source for my current avatar.)

Falling Skies on TNT in the US at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_Skies

Helix on the Scyfy channel. I liked the writing and the characters a lot, the setting in Antarctica was perfect.

I'm not sure how the show will feel next season when they are out of the arctic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix_%28TV_series%29

This is coming this Fall on the SyFy channel too. It's called Ascension.

I don't know anything about it, but I want to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvJoqyKoW8c

Edited by Tommygun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll second some of those oldies, like Gattaca, Enemy Mine, and The Last Starfighter

Currently enjoying watching The 100. The 4400 was good too, at least at first.

I'll assume you've seen old blockbusters like The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgement Day. Does the Back to the Future series count as sci-fi?

This thread needs more Europa Report.

It's basically as realistic as it comes (with a few errors, of course, but nothing major) and is so good at being a movie that it doesn't even have an "Everything Wrong With" youtube review like nearly every other movie of its genre does.

Which is probably because no one knows about it.

Still my favorite movie of all time.

One of my favorite science fiction movies of all time is "How I Ended This Summer".

It is a Russian film about two men stationed in the Arctic Circle conducting meteorological research. The older man is a seasoned field researcher whereas the younger one is a recent college graduate. Okay, maybe it is not Sci-Fi in the traditional science but it does involve science and it is a work of fiction.

It is a very intense drama that revolves around conducting research in isolation. They might as well be in space. The acting is superb and the photography is excellent. You will feel like you have visited that part of the world. I hope you give it a watch. I believe it is in on Netflix.

I found a series that is relatively old; don't know that I'd even heard of it before but ran into it recently. Some of it is hokey, but not bad for its day I guess. Angie Dickenson was a family member, but only in the pilot episode. Here is the first episode of "Men Into Space". A KSP player would appreciate this series more than most people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcKz6uv9Z6w

It predates NASA (actually, NASA had been newly created but doesn't appear to have been shown or used in an advisory capacity during the series' production), by the way, and tries for some reasonably scientific accuracy. There were about 40 episodes.

Edited by Dispatcher
Changed from a link to a video.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.