What steps are needed for an animated part?

Hi everyone, I've been playing around modelling stuff and putting it into the game, now I want to try animated parts. I'd like someone in the know to explain the steps needed to go from my 3D modelling package to the game with an animated part.

For example, I have two box primitives, one of which I would like to rotate 90 degrees. How would I achieve this?

Could I animate there and export to Unity? Must I create each moving part as a separate mesh and somehow put them together in Unity?

you can animate in 3d app of your choice or animate in Unity.

in Unity, set the import object's Rig to "Legacy" and make sure the "Animation" component is applied to the root object of your import. assign the animation clip if it's not already, uncheck "Play Automatically";

export same way you would any other part.

in KSP, simplest way to call the animation is using ModuleAnimateGeneric.

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = antenna // your animation clip name from Unity
isOneShot = false // set to true if you want the animation to play only once.

startEventGUIName = Extend // name of trigger button in right click menu in game. goes away once you activate the animation
endEventGUIName = Retract // name of return button. will only appear after the animation has finished and you right click on the part a 2nd time.
actionGUIName = Toggle Antenna //name appears in Action Group settings.
}

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.