[1.12.x] Asteroid Recycling Technologies

RoverDude

First, I've excavated some space in asteroid, vented rock & converted the space (got about 140 units of empty space). Then switched to fuel hatch module & expanded tank. The tank expanded to only 100 units with a "Tank Status: 40 avail" in info box. I've tried enabling\disabling the modules, starting & stopping extractions, etc. No luck. The tank size is still 100 units no matter what I'm doing. That's pretty low to E-class asteroid. The log is clean with no errors at all. What am I doing wrong?
Does the jaw state it's depleted the resources? A class E should provide multiple million units of rock (it did for me at least) which is a huge amount of storage space. If it doesn't claim depleted resources, just start the jaw up again.

Generally, I've found this is caused from a lack of power to support the jaw (either not enough power generation or a sudden loss of solar power), so you may also need to upgrade that. I had to add about 1000 units of power as storage for when my fuel base passes behind kerbin to help excavate the few hundred-thousand units in a class-C.

Hey RoverDude, I think I'm behind on some your threads. I grabbed your all in one download a few days ago, and saw the AMT folder, which I think is Asteroid Mining Technologies. That's not related to ART, right? Is there a thread for AMT, or is AMT the successor to ART? Really digging the regolith parts you had in the preview, btw..

Hey RoverDude, I think I'm behind on some your threads. I grabbed your all in one download a few days ago, and saw the AMT folder, which I think is Asteroid Mining Technologies. That's not related to ART, right? Is there a thread for AMT, or is AMT the successor to ART? Really digging the regolith parts you had in the preview, btw..

Check out: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96011-WIP-Advanced-Mining-Technologies

Its nifty :)

Yep AMT is Advanced Mining Tech - it's where the Regolith preview bits went :)

Based on what you've said about your plans to expand on asteroid mining into a much more complex and advanced process, I'm guessing we're going to see some expansion on AMT here relatively soon. Am I wrong?

I'm having a problem with re-allocation of asteroid space after I mine out the rock. I can mine the rock, and it stores in the asteroid. After I vent the rock, and "convert space" the available space goes up, but the total space stays 0. (this is a class E), and I am unable to use that space with any of the fuel docks. Am I missing a config/ dll?

NpNY0gN.png

Any ideas?

Thanks for all the awesome mods RoverDude and team!

Well, finally found something that I had to make an account for.

I have ART, and am considering a combination with FASA Asteroids. I figure a 200m asteroid would make a difficult if not impossible challenge to redirect and make a ridiculously huge fuel depot in orbit of Jool. But that's all hypothetical.

Will ART work with an asteroid that's been placed? How about Customer Asteroids?

There's one more thing that is quite ambiguous. I presume it's a known issue, but still remind about it.

When a mining craft that has a Jaw part and Rock tanks on it attaches an asteroid and starts mining - the rock tanks have an advantage before asteroid container & begin filling with mined rock with no possibility to convert the actual mined space (the available space is not increasing). The workaround for this issue is to lock all rock tanks attached to an asteroid before starting the mining.

Found an exploitable bug relating to load/save:

Mine out an asteroid but leave the rock inside it, F5, F9, asteroid is restored to original mass plus the stored rock. Repeat for infinite anything.

Perhaps store the current asteroid mass inside that REGO_ModuleAsteroidInfo module and apply it on load?

[edit] This actually comes with a second bug that seems to be caused by it, venting rock stopped functioning and tanks can't be compressed back down. After venting and converting once, it displayed 728/0 for free/total space in the asteroid, and prevented me from venting again.

[edit2] Actually, ignore that vent rock issue, was because I forgot to turn the jaw off. However, tanks still can't be re-compressed and total space shows 0.

Edited by Hexicube

Well, finally found something that I had to make an account for.

I have ART, and am considering a combination with FASA Asteroids. I figure a 200m asteroid would make a difficult if not impossible challenge to redirect and make a ridiculously huge fuel depot in orbit of Jool. But that's all hypothetical.

Will ART work with an asteroid that's been placed? How about Customer Asteroids?

Will ART place resources in asteroids from FASA or Custom Asteroids?

Custom and placed asteroids yes, FASA no idea, probably not.

Alright, couple follow up questions. Would I be able to store tritium and deuterium in an asteroid? Would it require power like the cryostat tanks? I am thinking 4 million tritium might provide enough helium-3 to power a good number of power stations.

I am also thinking of using an asteroid as a depleted fuel dump. Basically have 10 or 20 mining/power stations on the Mun beaming power around until I get something more advanced.

I am starting over for 0.90, and it's a TAC LS, RT, Interstellar, every USI mod, and a dozen other mods type thing. I like to have a general plan on how I want to structure my entire logistics system. As it stands, every planet and moon has a role, even if its just supplying food to LKO power stations. I am currently developing the Kerbin system and don't intend on leaving there until unlocking fusion power. By that time all the fission plants should be running, so I can't really wait until I am hollowing out the asteroid see if it holds nuclear waste, because if it doesn't, I need to drastically change the plan.

Woohoo! It's working! It's working!! Thanks soo much RoverDude and everyone!

D14bjCh.png

I have EPL, ART, Regolith, and Karbonite all working together to further my interplanetary dominion... muhahaha!!

Horus is right you must allocate 100 units at a time for the fuel hatches.

Also, don't use up the rock as you mine it, you have to let the rock space build up in the asteroid before you can reallocate the empty space.

Alright, couple follow up questions. Would I be able to store tritium and deuterium in an asteroid? Would it require power like the cryostat tanks? I am thinking 4 million tritium might provide enough helium-3 to power a good number of power stations.

Scroll back a bit - someone made a bunch of KSPI tanks for ART as a stand alone pack back in 0.25 and I expect they still work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.