[1.12.x] Asteroid Recycling Technologies

RoverDude

The mass driver doesn't seem to be providing any thrust, it's just draining resources and glowing. I've tested it in hacked gravity and compared it to the Rockomax 48-7S to be sure. Is anyone else having similar problems?

I ran into the same problem a few hours ago... Took a break and when i came back i deleted and reinstalled from a fresh download and i'm still having the same problem.

Drains the EC off my test probe, uses up rock, the engine lists 32.0kN of thrust... But mechjeb registers 0 thrust, and my orbit doesn't change at all.

Oh, side note, can we get a couple honest tanks for rock instead of these tiny radial tanks? trying to build a ship with just the mass driver is making me use structural fuselages and then i have to add radial rock tanks onto that... Ugly :P

The mass driver doesn't seem to be providing any thrust, it's just draining resources and glowing. I've tested it in hacked gravity and compared it to the Rockomax 48-7S to be sure. Is anyone else having similar problems?

It will not work in an atmosphere.

im fairly sure he meant this mod (ART).

@Roverdude: dont move TOO many nifty features to FTT as i havent decided to use that mod. i like to build my own transports

Yes, ART.

And now for this whole batch. I will honestly say that this is the first time (others have come close) that I have regretted giving you guys stuff. But hey, here are some answers.

So why when you convert rock into one resource is the rest thrown away? why not just have one conversion part that converts rock into all its possible trace resources at the same time assuming you have storage for it?

Because then you have this fun loop. What if someone is short a converter or can't use that type? Well, then you net even less stuff and people yell because they can't store some rock and squeak out just the Karbonite or whatever later and don't get why a rock can't remember what was already taken out. And they gripe because I vent out something because they don't have space for it, or gripe because I stop the conversion process, or gripe because tanks suddenly fill with stuff they did not expect, or gripe because it's too complex. So you get a very simple abstraction. Displeased with it? MM to your heart's content - it's meant to be extended.

Its pretty clearly a placeholder implementation of a future system he has planned. It lets us do something useful with rock other than vent it. I'm sure it will be better later on when his full plans are realized. Until then I'll MM some configs according to my own ideas for it.

That's pretty much the point. I gave you folks something v. nothing - the resources are an added benefit not core, and I already have people on both ends griping that it's either too much or too little.

Thats pretty near my own concerns when I hear people say that the core simple ART mod is supposed to be highly inefficient. I don't use tac life support so I don't care for water minerals and substrate and the mass of the asteroid they are realistically supposed to comprise what I care about is whether I'm going to be able to extract enough fuel from an asteroid to justify the expense of capturing it and sticking claws jaws and hatches all over it since I'm looking at asteroids as an alternative to planet bases for fuel making as long as KAS is in the state its in.

That's not this mod's main purpose. It's not like you have giant rocks made out of fuel. The justification is that now, with a largish asteroid, I have a MASSIVE storage tank for other stuff. And it's a springboard for more efficient mining. The stuff in this is just a byproduct. But if you want to turn the rock into pure Karbonite or FluffyUnicorns, go for it.

I think the problem is more fundamental it basically becomes "what is the point of building an asteroid base if taking off and landing with my drills and converters still attached is more efficient?" moving asteroids around you are transporting a lot more deadmass than you are with mining landers the resource yield of asteroids needs to be powerful in order to make up for that.

You're kinda missing the mod's primary purpose, which is for storage, and a place to get rock. Capture one, and you have a giant self-fueling ship with the mass drivers, and can use the empty husk for storing whatever you want down the road. Take this very useful scenario: Go to Minmus. Harvest rare commodities. Stuff them in an asteroid you picked up using nothing but mass driver engines and solar power. Deorbit into Kerbin for a pinata worth a massive amount of funds. Use a series of asteroids for the storage space for your space station. Whatever. In otherwords, get creative.

I ran into the same problem a few hours ago... Took a break and when i came back i deleted and reinstalled from a fresh download and i'm still having the same problem.

Drains the EC off my test probe, uses up rock, the engine lists 32.0kN of thrust... But mechjeb registers 0 thrust, and my orbit doesn't change at all.

Oh, side note, can we get a couple honest tanks for rock instead of these tiny radial tanks? trying to build a ship with just the mass driver is making me use structural fuselages and then i have to add radial rock tanks onto that... Ugly :P

Thank you so much for making me feel good about making mods and I apologize for inflicting ugliness.

First. Engines are atmo only.

Second. Radially attach those to a truss instead. They actually fit precisely inside of a 2.5m fairing, and are also surface attachable for other systems.

Lastly, NFI if Mechjeb will even know what to do with this anyway, but yeah atmo is likely the issue.

Thank you so much for making me feel good about making mods and I apologize for inflicting ugliness.

First. Engines are atmo only.

Second. Radially attach those to a truss instead. They actually fit precisely inside of a 2.5m fairing, and are also surface attachable for other systems.

Lastly, NFI if Mechjeb will even know what to do with this anyway, but yeah atmo is likely the issue.

It was in space at the time, i tried both just to be sure.

Pic for reference.

FreDzSL.png

And don't get me wrong, i love your work and i'm glad for what you have done :P But only 1 radial tank seems... unfinished i guess. I can and will make do with it and still be happy. But that doesn't mean i wouldn't like more :P

Edited by Chyort
stupid picture didnt work the first time :P

And now for this whole batch. I will honestly say that this is the first time (others have come close) that I have regretted giving you guys stuff. But hey, here are some answers.

Because then you have this fun loop. What if someone is short a converter or can't use that type? Well, then you net even less stuff and people yell because they can't store some rock and squeak out just the Karbonite or whatever later and don't get why a rock can't remember what was already taken out. And they gripe because I vent out something because they don't have space for it, or gripe because I stop the conversion process, or gripe because tanks suddenly fill with stuff they did not expect, or gripe because it's too complex. So you get a very simple abstraction. Displeased with it? MM to your heart's content - it's meant to be extended.

That's pretty much the point. I gave you folks something v. nothing - the resources are an added benefit not core, and I already have people on both ends griping that it's either too much or too little.

That's not this mod's main purpose. It's not like you have giant rocks made out of fuel. The justification is that now, with a largish asteroid, I have a MASSIVE storage tank for other stuff. And it's a springboard for more efficient mining. The stuff in this is just a byproduct. But if you want to turn the rock into pure Karbonite or FluffyUnicorns, go for it.

You're kinda missing the mod's primary purpose, which is for storage, and a place to get rock. Capture one, and you have a giant self-fueling ship with the mass drivers, and can use the empty husk for storing whatever you want down the road. Take this very useful scenario: Go to Minmus. Harvest rare commodities. Stuff them in an asteroid you picked up using nothing but mass driver engines and solar power. Deorbit into Kerbin for a pinata worth a massive amount of funds. Use a series of asteroids for the storage space for your space station. Whatever. In otherwords, get creative.

gee I'm sorry to have come across like that you are right clearly I missed the point of this mod. I was looking for a resource generating mod as an alternative to my usual KAS and Kethane strategy something that didn't involve a lot of repetitive tedium ferrying small quantities back and forth so I could just establish my infrastructure and run off to do other things in the solar system which was why I was after better efficiency and power. it hadn't occurred to me that this mod was just about turning roids into fuel tanks. So again sorry for making a scene

It was in space at the time, i tried both just to be sure.

Pic for reference.

http://i.imgur.com/FreDzSL.png

And don't get me wrong, i love your work and i'm glad for what you have done :P But only 1 radial tank seems... unfinished i guess. I can and will make do with it and still be happy. But that doesn't mean i wouldn't like more :P

You have no EC. The mass driver is very power hungry.

Snapped the screenshot a split second before it ran out of power... It still burned thru over 6000 EC and 430 rock without any thrust at all. I know that because my orbit didn't change at all... My first test was a far larger ship, (Class E asteroid tug test) with the near future reactor putting out 3000EC/s. Again, no thrust, no orbit change.

After redownloading and reinstalling ART (Deleting and then replacing) i did that little bare-bones test ship, which resulted in the screenshot in the previous post.

Engine is reporting thrust, but mechjeb disagrees. And the orbit didn't change at all, so i'm reasonably sure mechjeb is correct.

My next step would be to see if i can replicate it with a stock install + ART and no other mods... But i am just not in the mood for that tonight. Possibly tomorrow.

Snapped the screenshot a split second before it ran out of power... It still burned thru over 6000 EC and 430 rock without any thrust at all. I know that because my orbit didn't change at all... My first test was a far larger ship, (Class E asteroid tug test) with the near future reactor putting out 3000EC/s. Again, no thrust, no orbit change.

After redownloading and reinstalling ART (Deleting and then replacing) i did that little bare-bones test ship, which resulted in the screenshot in the previous post.

Engine is reporting thrust, but mechjeb disagrees. And the orbit didn't change at all, so i'm reasonably sure mechjeb is correct.

My next step would be to see if i can replicate it with a stock install + ART and no other mods... But i am just not in the mood for that tonight. Possibly tomorrow.

Ok found the issue - somehow a bad model (one missing a transform) made it into the release. Assume the mass driver is full of bees till the next patch.

Ok found the issue - somehow a bad model (one missing a transform) made it into the release. Assume the mass driver is full of bees till the next patch.

Cool. Saves me from having to do a minor nuke and pave. Heh.

Thanks for all the good work. :)

gee I'm sorry to have come across like that you are right clearly I missed the point of this mod. I was looking for a resource generating mod as an alternative to my usual KAS and Kethane strategy something that didn't involve a lot of repetitive tedium ferrying small quantities back and forth so I could just establish my infrastructure and run off to do other things in the solar system which was why I was after better efficiency and power. it hadn't occurred to me that this mod was just about turning roids into fuel tanks. So again sorry for making a scene

Have you tried Karbonite (also be RoverDude)?

RoverDude,

I don't post much here, just general questions about mods and such but after reading a bit of this thread, I felt inclined to tell you that your mods are without a shadow of a doubt my favorite ones on this forum. I litterally scavange the development forum just looking for new stuff you post. I can't even begin to fathom how much time and energy you put on these things, and you do it for free. I don't think modders hear this often enough. You guys make this game.

Anyway, not to sound like a total fanboy or anything, but keep up your amazing work man.

RoverDude,

I don't post much here, just general questions about mods and such but after reading a bit of this thread, I felt inclined to tell you that your mods are without a shadow of a doubt my favorite ones on this forum. I litterally scavange the development forum just looking for new stuff you post. I can't even begin to fathom how much time and energy you put on these things, and you do it for free. I don't think modders hear this often enough. You guys make this game.

Anyway, not to sound like a total fanboy or anything, but keep up your amazing work man.

Awesome, glad you're enjoying it. I assume that for every person PM'ing me saying 'y u do dis?' I have a dozen satisfied players out building stuff....

Have you actually looked at Karbonite? You can set up a mining site and use a logistics hub to transfer the material around without "a lot of repetitive tedium ferrying small quantities back and forth"

Awesome, glad you're enjoying it. I assume that for every person PM'ing me saying 'y u do dis?' I have a dozen satisfied players out building stuff....

Absolutely loving your mods RD. Don't let them get you down.

I actually like that each mod is more or less self-contained to its own purpose and features. It keeps bloat down and allows people to grab only what they want.

I actually like that each mod is more or less self-contained to its own purpose and features. It keeps bloat down and allows people to grab only what they want.

Yeah, but who doesn't want them all? :D Even if you're like me and still can't get the MKS/OKS figured out. ;.; I'm still trying though! One day, one day! :huh:

What the chances that the storage bladders from theis mod get to see logistic hub integration in the future (so that you do not need MKS ILMs to transfer resources to and from?). That would instantly make this mod far more relevant with your other mods rover.

What the chances that the storage bladders from theis mod get to see logistic hub integration in the future (so that you do not need MKS ILMs to transfer resources to and from?). That would instantly make this mod far more relevant with your other mods rover.

??

I have transferred things with the logistics hub that don't have ILM's

Your point?

sorry i was making a reference to the "stepped in some feelings" meme as a joke to break the tension since passinglurker sounded upset

edit- while were talking about logistics hubs can anyone direct me to a site or guide explaining how those work? i havent tried em out yet

Edited by Jagzeplin

sorry i was making a reference to the "stepped in some feelings" meme as a joke to break the tension since passinglurker sounded upset

edit- while were talking about logistics hubs can anyone direct me to a site or guide explaining how those work? i havent tried em out yet

No worries - everyone caught me on a bad day.

There's some fresh notes in the MKS thread on the log hub, I need to do a video now that Cyrik has the bees out of it,

Seems weird that ART goes into the GameData folder, but all other RoverDude mod folders go into UmbraSpaceIndustries...

It's because this is more of a WaRi project than a USI one :) Also it helps PartCatalog.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.