[1.12.x] Asteroid Recycling Technologies

RoverDude

0.4.3 is up

Fixed the mass driver, updated the USI_Converter.

If you use Karbonite and MKS, wait till their updates finish up before grabbing all of these at once (they are all on dropbox but uploading as we speak, and also doing the Github publishes)

Heh, got my E class Tug working. Ended up using near future hydrogen to get an intercept. Part count was already too high without trying to cram a few hundred radial rock tanks into it.

t2iQkCk.png

X0zAcei.png

Ugg. 300 odd days to hollow out a class E with 12 jaws mining away, and all of .02 TWR even with 32 mass drivers...

:P

And lets not forget the 10 minute burns that take over an hour because i have 400 odd parts...

All joking aside though, any chance we could get tweakscale for the jaw and mass drivers? This part count is killing me.

Oh and i have another bug to report.

AEcru1M.png

32 Mass drivers running and 0 electrical/rock usage. Generator was actually off at this point.

I thought the problem might be that it wasn't drawing rock thru the claw from the asteroid. So i transferred some rock into my tanks manually to see if it started working. It didn't.

Ended up venting 400k rock 1k at a time just to dump some of the weight for better acceleration. Only another 4million rock to go once the jaws finish hollowing it out... Might have to ship a dozen converters up just to burn thru the rock faster. Hmm...

Anyways! Jool, here i come. Heh.

Edited by Chyort

Downloading now! Out of curiosity, do bigger asteroids hold more? (I'd assume, but worth asking).

It was around 50% of the asteroid mass at one point, i think it was upped to 75% recently however. So yeah, the larger the better for storage.

The class E i have in tow right now should have around 4.5million storage once I'm done hollowing it out.

Even with 12 jaws at work it looks to take around 300 days to finish, so keep that in mind. Not to mention all the extra work involved in moving a class E to where-ever you want to put it.

Heh

Heh, got my E class Tug working. Ended up using near future hydrogen to get an intercept. Part count was already too high without trying to cram a few hundred radial rock tanks into it.

http://i.imgur.com/t2iQkCk.png

http://i.imgur.com/X0zAcei.png

Ugg. 300 odd days to hollow out a class E with 12 jaws mining away, and all of .02 TWR even with 32 mass drivers...

And lets not forget the 10 minute burns that take over an hour because i have 400 odd parts...

All joking aside though, any chance we could get tweakscale for the jaw and mass drivers? This part count is killing me.

Oh and i have another bug to report.

http://i.imgur.com/AEcru1M.png

32 Mass drivers running and 0 electrical/rock usage. Generator was actually off at this point.

I thought the problem might be that it wasn't drawing rock thru the claw from the asteroid. So i transferred some rock into my tanks manually to see if it started working. It didn't.

Ended up venting 400k rock 1k at a time just to dump some of the weight for better acceleration. Only another 4million rock to go once the jaws finish hollowing it out... Might have to ship a dozen converters up just to burn thru the rock faster. Hmm...

Anyways! Jool, here i come. Heh.

Dear god...

Side note, why they rock tanks? You could use the rock directly for your mass drivers from the asteroid. I'll do it a balance pass tho ;)

- - - Updated - - -

It was around 50% of the asteroid mass at one point, i think it was upped to 75% recently however. So yeah, the larger the better for storage.

The class E i have in tow right now should have around 4.5million storage once I'm done hollowing it out.

Even with 12 jaws at work it looks to take around 300 days to finish, so keep that in mind. Not to mention all the extra work involved in moving a class E to where-ever you want to put it.

Heh

75% is correct. But yeah... 4.5 million storage...

Dear god...

Side note, why they rock tanks? You could use the rock directly for your mass drivers from the asteroid. I'll do it a balance pass tho ;)

- - - Updated - - -

75% is correct. But yeah... 4.5 million storage...

I added the rock tanks at the last second just in case. I wasn't sure how the mass drivers would react to rock in an asteroid. The stock claw that i tweakscaled up has no cross-feed or whatever, i seem to recall anyways.

Having them allowed me to test if it was a cross-feed issue or a bug, that was letting the mass drivers run without using any rock too.

But yeah, i am still burning away the 2600 delta-v to get my jool intercept... disabled some of my SAS to stop the ship from gyrating quite so much... and that let me do 4x time warp. but it is still slow as hell with 400 odd parts.

What's the ideal speed to hit an asteroid with the jaw? I seem to be bouncing off more frequently than latching (I never bothered with asteroids prior to your mod, so I'm not terribly familiar with grappling things)

Also, Thanks for your mods. I'm usually one of the dozen silent enjoyers.

Edit: A reinstall stopped the endless bouncing. Everything is working great.

If I could go so far as to suggest something, a large style connector that could be used as a module base that looks more like landing legs. It's kind of impermanent looking with the Jaw and Klaw, and the tank adapter (which is pretty close), doesn't scale all the way up.

Edited by quatch

What's the ideal speed to hit an asteroid with the jaw? I seem to be bouncing off more frequently than latching (I never bothered with asteroids prior to your mod, so I'm not terribly familiar with grappling things)

Also, Thanks for your mods. I'm usually one of the dozen silent enjoyers.

Edit: A reinstall stopped the endless bouncing. Everything is working great.

If I could go so far as to suggest something, a large style connector that could be used as a module base that looks more like landing legs. It's kind of impermanent looking with the Jaw and Klaw, and the tank adapter (which is pretty close), doesn't scale all the way up.

I try for about 1m/s - sometimes you also get dud asteroids, and sometimes they have weird meshes.

Like the other ideas as well :)

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a Kethane texture for the fuel hatch? There appears to be pictures of one in the OP but not in the mod itself.

Guess I could make one but would be easier if someone could point me to the ready made!

No Kethane one, but a blank template is included and I expect there are some floating around the interwebs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.