[1.12.x] Asteroid Recycling Technologies

RoverDude

Get it from Github.  I make nice pretty releases for you - link is in my signature.

CKAN is an automated support issue spawner.  I will do defensive coding for it when I have the time, and while I contemplate all of the nice things I am not making for you folks while I spend my time trying to keep CKAN from messing things up and causing me more work.

Hah, you mean the cfg hack I made? :)

So I just captured (cough hyperedit cough) a class E asteroid and attached the four fuel hatches, power supply, two mining drills... but Rock does not show up as a resource and is not mined. I sent up a hacked fuel tank to contain rock, but still nothing is mined (laser are running, power present etc). Does it need another mod/plugin like regolith?

BTW: You weren't kidding when you said the asteroids got bigger! A class E looks like the size of Ike :) now

Spoiler

art_01.jpg

Correction...  space is created and can be assigned to the fuel hatches, but no rock is showing up. I was only looking at the value for rock like with the old version.

- Space allocation still goes per 100 units, could this be increased to 1000 as it is excavated quite quickly anyway?

- The Xenon tank is filling up with xenon by itself which is coming from the laser miners (about 0.05/sec each)

Edited by Jimbodiah

26 minutes ago, Kershu5 said:

Oh freaking SWEET I've been waiting for this one to update too!  You are the absolute best, RoverDude.  Whatever you're being paid it isn't enough.

heh, well given this is free stuff... the only way I get paid is via donations and my Patreon page (link on the main USI catalog page in my sig ;))

26 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Hah, you mean the cfg hack I made? :)

So I just captured (cough hyperedit cough) a class E asteroid and attached the four fuel hatches, power supply, two mining drills... but Rock does not show up as a resource and is not mined. I sent up a hacked fuel tank to contain rock, but still nothing is mined (laser are running, power present etc). Does it need another mod/plugin like regolith?

BTW: You weren't kidding when you said the asteroids got bigger! A class E looks like the size of Ike :) now

Hide contents

art_01.jpg

Correction...  space is created and can be assigned to the fuel hatches, but no rock is showing up. I was only looking at the value for rock like with the old version.

- Space allocation still goes per 100 units, could this be increased to 1000 as it is excavated quite quickly anyway?

- The Xenon tank is filling up with xenon by itself which is coming from the laser miners (about 0.05/sec each)

Very odd that rock is not going up..  I'll have to poke around and see why.

Don't know if this is relevant... or if you'd rather I post it on github... My debu log shows these:

[Log]: [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: ART ship, command

[Warning]: [CurrencyWidgetsApp]: No live widgets to Despawn!

4x  [Error]: Input is null

and also:

[Log]: DragCubeSystem: Rendering procedural drag for PotatoRoid

4x [Error]: The hull has more than 255 polygons. This is invalid.

Edited by Jimbodiah

Erm..  Noticing a small problem here, 'Dude.  ART stuff doesn't seem to be loading into the game..  At all.  Everything else is going in just fine, but there's zero ART stuff in my tree of parts.  I don't think the game is even loading the mod at all, despite it being in the proper place in the USI folder.

12 minutes ago, Kershu5 said:

Erm..  Noticing a small problem here, 'Dude.  ART stuff doesn't seem to be loading into the game..  At all.  Everything else is going in just fine, but there's zero ART stuff in my tree of parts.  I don't think the game is even loading the mod at all, despite it being in the proper place in the USI folder.

Not the only one.  I use CTT, and I found the issue.  The parts are set to locations in the tech tree that doesn't exist.  The config file in ART is set to 'resourceUtilization' and 'offworldMining'.  However, resourceutilization doesn't exist, and offworldmining only exists as advanced offworld mining.  What I did to get it to show up was edit the CTT conifg file for ART and set the parts to be in the advanced offworld mining tab.  But it would also make sense to place them under the experimental science tab, which is right after the node where the normal mining equipment is unlocked, and is also easier to unlock.

Hrm.  Okay thanks Davy.  in the config file, will that have the spaces- "advanced offworld mining" or would I write it as "advancedoffworldmining"?

e: Nevermind, dug into the actual CTT and figured it out.  Decided to put the rock tanks into specializedFuelStorage for my part, and the Mass Driver in ExperimentalScience, and the rest into AOM.

Edited by Kershu5

Ran some quick tests Jimbo, I am indeed getting rock.  I turned on infinite fuel and elec and such to test this in sandbox mode, but I DID get some rock- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=572803600

so I'm not sure how other people are /not/ getting rock :/a

e: While I'm thinking about it, RoverDude- Since CRP has been updated for "Rock" resource, I only see the one kontainer for Rock resources.  But none of the other Freight can hold Rock.  Do you plan on adding more and larger ART-specific kontainers, or modifying the other ones so that they can also hold Rock?  I really wanna start shredding asteroids to pieces for their delicious resources :E

Edited by Kershu5

The 1.25m mass driver seems a bit strong for its weight. Powered by batteries it makes a decent engine for a rocket SSTO :-)
RCS is just a different control scheme for engines, so it would be good if both are roughly balanced against each other.

Also, how come the larger mass driver uses less electricity in RCS mode than in engine mode?

On 12/9/2015, 8:23:31, Jimbodiah said:

Nice work Rover, thank you!

Will there be other versions of the fuel hatch, like for monoprop, ore, water, substrates etc?

On 12/9/2015, 9:32:43, RoverDude said:

Someone actually made an entire parts pack for those somewhere :)

It's a bit dated but here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/86071-025-art-hatches-for-crp-im-so-clever-edition-12-oct-14/

Edited by TopHatDragon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.