[1.12.x] Asteroid Recycling Technologies

RoverDude

Hello :)

tcXs0XF.png

In other side is jaw mining rock.Now is my qestion,what i doing wrong?why i can't convert available space to any resource tank space?how this mod work now in ksp 1.3? :) i dont make free space or what? now its rock tanks are needed to mine rocks ok so its should be made empty while ming proces(asteroid space) ?:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I accepted an E class asteroid redirect mission, and then noticed the ART mod makes asteroid giant mastodonts in the million tons. Well, at Kermand Space Program we don't let a customer down ! So, I decided the kerbals will complete the mission or die trying.

My question is: does the Jaw ans all the converting units in the ART mod benefit from the presence of an engineer ? Or is it just the same if i send an unmanned probe to hollow out the asteroid ?

Edited by kermand

• 3 months later...
On 7/25/2017 at 12:43 AM, kermand said:

Hello

I accepted an E class asteroid redirect mission, and then noticed the ART mod makes asteroid giant mastodonts in the million tons. Well, at Kermand Space Program we don't let a customer down ! So, I decided the kerbals will complete the mission or die trying.

My question is: does the Jaw ans all the converting units in the ART mod benefit from the presence of an engineer ? Or is it just the same if i send an unmanned probe to hollow out the asteroid ?

Heres a extremely dumb idea for redirecting: Find a drilling crew, put em on a couple of shuttles with MOAR BOOSTERS, slingshot around the Mün, and land on the astroid with gear. Than mine to the core, and nuke it. IT WILL WORK PERFECTLY!!

(If you don't get the reference, ill give a hint: MICHEAL BAY!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armageddon_(1998_film)) 

Edited by Starslinger999

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2017 at 6:06 PM, Toriach said:

Hello :)

tcXs0XF.png

In other side is jaw mining rock.Now is my qestion,what i doing wrong?why i can't convert available space to any resource tank space?how this mod work now in ksp 1.3? :) i dont make free space or what? now its rock tanks are needed to mine rocks ok so its should be made empty while ming proces(asteroid space) ?:)

I'm having the same issue, also the asteroid vibrates whenever I connect to it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Question, trying to finally delve into this for my modded career save. I know size and density multipliers are randomized and that asteroid classes are rendered meaningless. (A fact I lament but that's besides the fact.) Once tracked, is there a way to check what the mass of an asteroid is without having to visit it first? Having to send out a probe for every rock I find with no indication as to which ones are small enough to actually work with will get expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

(Playing 1.4.2) I don't see any asteroids around / near Kerbin when in map-view, yet there are supposed to 32 according to the indicator at the top of the screen. Is this an issue with the new(er) KSP version or did I screw something up on install?

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

But the OP says 1.3

OMG you're right!  Luckily it also has a link at the bottom with @RoverDude's signature for his catalog, and from there a link to the latest release!

You may have noticed @RoverDude has a lot of mods he maintains.  Updating forum threads is way down on the priority list.

TLDR: A little effort yields rewards.

Edited by goldenpsp

• 3 months later...

@RoverDude Must the drill be on a active craft for it to operate?

I'm someone who likes to manage the time aspect of my career and I don't want to wait days, weeks or moar for the drills to collect all the rock without being able to do other things. If this is a limitation I will ignore this mod for now.

Edited by Aeroboi

3 hours ago, Aeroboi said:

@RoverDude Must the drill be on a active craft for it to operate?

I'm someone who likes to manage the time aspect of my career and I don't want to wait days, weeks or moar for the drills to collect all the rock without being able to do other things. If this is a limitation I will ignore this mod for now.

Yes and no.  Like any other process in KSP, it will only compute on an active, loaded, craft.  Also like any other process in KSP, it will - at load time - compute how much it would have done since the last time it was loaded.

So you can leave the craft and when you come back it will exist as though it had run the entire time you were gone.  Typically that's good enough, but there's the occasional edge-case where it isn't.  (And notably: the catch-up is done in 6-hour chunks.  You need to have enough of any needed intermediate storage for the entire 6-hour chunk, or things will be modeled as 'shutdown' or tossing the extra out.)

15 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Yes and no.  Like any other process in KSP, it will only compute on an active, loaded, craft.  Also like any other process in KSP, it will - at load time - compute how much it would have done since the last time it was loaded.

So you can leave the craft and when you come back it will exist as though it had run the entire time you were gone.  Typically that's good enough, but there's the occasional edge-case where it isn't.  (And notably: the catch-up is done in 6-hour chunks.  You need to have enough of any needed intermediate storage for the entire 6-hour chunk, or things will be modeled as 'shutdown' or tossing the extra out.)

Just like stock huh, then that is good enough for me :)

• 4 months later...

Hey @RoverDude, sorry to revive an older thread but i'm having trouble with ART. I downloaded it with the USI constellation (mod version 1.0.0),  and none of the extraction modules seem to work. I haven't actually put them on an asteroid yet, but on the runway the only options when i click on them are aim:camera and autostrut. 

2a62781169.jpg

bd86bfb444.jpg

8c90869859.jpg

6d3027e488.jpg

I assume i'm missing a file or loaded something incorrectly?

Okay coming back to this, i attached a Jaw module to an asteroid and started the mining laser, but it doesn't appear to be excavating any resources or space

f8ebd1bbd4.jpg

This is after letting the jaw work for some amount of time. None of the extraction/distillation modules show any functionality attached to the asteroid either. I definitely think i have something installed wrong, any idea what i'm missing?

9 hours ago, bdole92 said:

Hey @RoverDude, sorry to revive an older thread but i'm having trouble with ART. I downloaded it with the USI constellation (mod version 1.0.0),  and none of the extraction modules seem to work. I haven't actually put them on an asteroid yet, but on the runway the only options when i click on them are aim:camera and autostrut. 

2a62781169.jpg

bd86bfb444.jpg

8c90869859.jpg

6d3027e488.jpg

I assume i'm missing a file or loaded something incorrectly?

Okay coming back to this, i attached a Jaw module to an asteroid and started the mining laser, but it doesn't appear to be excavating any resources or space

f8ebd1bbd4.jpg

This is after letting the jaw work for some amount of time. None of the extraction/distillation modules show any functionality attached to the asteroid either. I definitely think i have something installed wrong, any idea what i'm missing?

KSP version?  

• 2 weeks later...

it isn't just those, every mining module and converter from the usi mods is broken in the exact same way, I'm suspecting its an install issue, as it seems to be affecting people sporadically, but when it does its in the exact same way. I'm going to try a few reinstalls today to try and diagnose what the hells actually happening here, because this is way too universal of a failure for it to have gone unnoticed if it was in the release

ok, so i think i have identified the issue. for some reason most of the usi mods are still using the old module system.

i just checked in the github because i thought it was me, but it really is in there. for instance https://github.com/BobPalmer/Karbonite/blob/master/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/Parts/KA_Distiller_125_01.cfg
the new system is USI_ConverterSwapOption but whats in there is

MODULE
{
name = ModuleResourceConverter_USI
ConverterName = H2O Condenser
StartActionName = Start H2O
StopActionName = Stop H2O
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = ElectricCharge
Ratio = 6
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = Karbonite
Ratio = 5
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = Water
Ratio = 1
DumpExcess = false
}
}

i suspect theres similar things throughout, though im not good enough at reading the code to figure out what its supposed to look like.  the two that seem to have been updated are life support and mks, everything else is still under the old system

Edited by lunaris69
adding info and identifying the problem

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.