[1.12.x] Asteroid Recycling Technologies

RoverDude

• 2 weeks later...

I have bug with this where connecting anything to the bottom hardpoint of the "claws" won't work. Is like it does not exist, the only ones I can connect from are the jaw and the stock claw, none of the other parts that attach the asteroid will let me build from the hardpoint that is in the direction away from the asteroid. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
The only thing I needed to change was the nodes on the fuel-door thingies, the rest works. And also added Xenon/LF/Ox to the KA converter to match the fuel options to store in the asteroid. Only issue besides the nodes is that the jaws stop mining when you stop the game.

[IMG]http://dasher.nl/kerbal/kerbal_03.jpg[/IMG] Edited by Jimbodiah

[quote name='Jimbodiah']Just captured a class E and will be sending up these things to test it :) I just love the idea of having a hollow asteroid as a fuel tank. Gonna make a interplanetary ship out of an asteroid and go to Duna with it ;)[/QUOTE]

Glad you dig it :) This is actually the one I am working on right now.

[quote name='Lego8_bit']is this pack up to date though ?[/QUOTE]

Not really - full of bees.

[quote name='Caithloki']It is not currently up to date, it will not function completely.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jimbodiah']The only thing I needed to change was the nodes on the fuel-door thingies, the rest works. And also added Xenon/LF/Ox to the KA converter to match the fuel options to store in the asteroid. Only issue besides the nodes is that the jaws stop mining when you stop the game.

[url]http://dasher.nl/kerbal/kerbal_03.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

Yup. Bees.

[quote name='Jimbodiah']btw, what's the difference between AMT? Just found that on your USI page.[/QUOTE]

ART Hollows out asteroids to use them for storage. AMT mines asteroids for resources and was made obsolete with 1.0 as the stock game can now mine asteroids

Awww, but the parts are so cool!

BTW: ART turns an asteroid into a Tardis; it gets infinite space when you mine the rock. I have over 100K LF/Ox and Xenon stored now and nothing was removed from the mass :) And to think what I did to get an E class asteroid into a 500km Kerbin orbit... mwuhahahahaha. Will be capturing a type A and have it orbit the Mun as a refueling station. I'm trying to find all the easter-eggs there and have set up a base and an orbiter. Also just downloaded the Life Support mod. In short USI and SSTU are my base installations for Kerbal, not playing without them (and mechjeb ofcourse, can't live without mechjeb, mechjeb is life).

[quote name='Jimbodiah']Awww, but the parts are so cool!

BTW: ART turns an asteroid into a Tardis; it gets infinite space when you mine the rock. I have over 100K LF/Ox and Xenon stored now and nothing was removed from the mass :) And to think what I did to get an E class asteroid into a 500km Kerbin orbit... mwuhahahahaha. Will be capturing a type A and have it orbit the Mun as a refueling station. I'm trying to find all the easter-eggs there and have set up a base and an orbiter. Also just downloaded the Life Support mod. In short USI and SSTU are my base installations for Kerbal, not playing without them (and mechjeb ofcourse, can't live without mechjeb, mechjeb is life).[/QUOTE]

How much mass is left after you strip mine an E class asteroid and carve up the rest?

[quote name='Jimbodiah'] BTW: ART turns an asteroid into a Tardis; it gets infinite space when you mine the rock.[/QUOTE]

oh I get the doctor who reference XD but different classes should have different caps like e having like 75k or something or if I ever see a z that should have 500-750k something like that

[quote name='Lego8_bit']oh I get the doctor who reference XD but different classes should have different caps like e having like 75k or something or if I ever see a z that should have 500-750k something like that[/QUOTE]
Yes they should. Pro tip read the previous reply from Roverdude aka Full of Bees.

Whahaha, Rover. It's a Bee's Nest ;)

MoreBoosters: Mass isn't deducted when mining right now, one of the bees Rover is referring to. So your asteroid gives infinite rock and thus infinite space and thus infinity fuel (you just have to click a LOT as the "expand" only adds 100 each time).

Theoretically if we stick an engine on it we could reach the speed of light as that required more fuel than all the matter in the universe (which we now have).

• 2 weeks later...

0.7.0 IS UP with 99% FEWER BEES!

0.7.0 - 2015-12.08
------------------
Space is now automatically expanded as resources are removed.
The Jaw now operates as a high efficiency drill
Asteroids are significantly more massive (up to four times larger, and 33 times denser).
To cope with this, the Mass Driver engine has been increased in size, and is now a 2.5m
There is also a 1.25m mass driver RCS version, with significant thrust (runs on rock and EC)
* NOTE:  ARM contracts are going to be a lot more challenging! *

9 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

0.7.0 IS UP with 99% FEWER BEES!

0.7.0 - 2015-12.08
------------------
Space is now automatically expanded as resources are removed.
The Jaw now operates as a high efficiency drill
Asteroids are significantly more massive (up to four times larger, and 33 times denser).
To cope with this, the Mass Driver engine has been increased in size, and is now a 2.5m
There is also a 1.25m mass driver RCS version, with significant thrust (runs on rock and EC)
* NOTE:  ARM contracts are going to be a lot more challenging! *

just so you know the download link in the OP just loops to the forum main page 

For everyone else use the catalog link in Roverdudes sig

Just had a look at the ART Github repo. The "Revamp for 0.7.0" commit brought lots of files from firespitter (including props, sounds and the parts guide pdf). It looks like an accident to me, the changelog does not sound like the new version would use all these things.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.