[1.12.x] Asteroid Recycling Technologies

RoverDude

Thanks for the mod!  The Mass Driver seems overpowered, so of course that's all I want to use now.  It was not stacking well with anything underneath it though, so I figured out how these .cfg files work and found a better setup.

MassDriver_250.cfg currently has this line: node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -.75, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

It works better with this line: node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.25, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2016 at 8:56 PM, Caithloki said:

Videos are already posted for it, I am on my ninth video as of last friday, and I post monday to friday. I just started using ART in the series so it is going to be used in the future videos, but I have being using almost all your mods for the series, your mods are awesome. So far in the videos I have got mining rigs setup and I am starting the orbital base.

Also here is the playlist.

https://youtu.be/rJlOfmzXI40?list=PLfoEmcnswj1CAPg1H15gZ9HK0LGocJfPq

Great series mate, I'm glad I wasn't the only one caught out by the recent changes, taught me to start reading change logs again when I reinstall KSP!

@RoverDude ART needs to feel some love again, the models are beautiful and the concept is excellent.  It would be amazing to see an update for this with hatches for some of the new resource types or some new, asteroid intended, parts. 

9 minutes ago, SP_S6 said:

Great series mate, I'm glad I wasn't the only one caught out by the recent changes, taught me to start reading change logs again when I reinstall KSP!

@RoverDude ART needs to feel some love again, the models are beautiful and the concept is excellent.  It would be amazing to see an update for this with hatches for some of the new resource types or some new, asteroid intended, parts. 

Thanks man, and I agree having some more options would be pretty cool. But the fuel hatch isn't to hard to modify if you wanr to have more options for storage, I've been meaning to get around to it so I can have a material kit and specialized storage in orbit.

I wish it was possible for a single fuel hatch to handle multiple resources correctly, such as LF and O in a single hatch. It is possible to mod the FSfuelSwitch line in the CFG to do this, but the tank expand button only seems to work on the first resource.

The number of resources required by MKS/OKS has increased, so if you want to take advantage of asteroid storage you need to stud the asteroid with a lot of hatches.

@SP_S6 So I went ahead and added almost all resources to the Fuel Hatch for Roverdude mods. I don't know if dropbox will work for downloading it but here is the link. https://www.dropbox.com/s/14cuk7fv17vxl2w/FuelHatch.rar?dl=0

@RoverDude I don't know if I am allowed to do this so just send me a message on here or PM and I will remove the dropbox file. If it is allowed I would be grateful to get a split up version of the texture file so I don't have to butcher your nice texture to get the correct colors for each option.

Edited by Caithloki

This mod...

I've been playing a career game with this for a week or so now, plus a bunch of other mods, and just reached the point where I'm able to try this out. 

My first asteroid encounter: Class C, 58,000 tons. 

:0.0:

Oh I'm not complaining. 

Even at 1% Karborundum, I filled a 20k tank in less than a Kerbal month using the Jaw (not sure if the efficiency buff is still intended for that btw). After that there's still a good 50,000 tons left...

Next job: Dig out space for a Karb and Ore tank and attach a fusion drive to it. Use it as a fifty kiloton rocket!

I'm using fuel hatches with a 50 kiloton asteroid. 

The fuel hatches expand available storage space at about a ton per click, so to completely utilize this... would be 50,000 clicks. 

As this mod now increases the size and density of asteroids, is there any chance of an increase in the increment that this expands by? Possibly a 10-100x increase for example? Or additional options to save clicking?

(Edited for clarity)

P.S. I've also utilized the Fuel Hatch change by @Caithloki with additional Karborundum and Ore switches (because why not?) - it would be useful to have the same options that are provided by Kontainers and Kontainer tanks (i.e. solids and liquids) included as options, but I guess it's your mod so your choice! :)

Edited by Kielm

I agree @Kielm, having the option to increase in bigger increments would be nice, I have an asteroid with I think a couple 100 mill space and trying to click that out into other options is time consuming. 

Edited by Caithloki

On 28/02/2016 at 3:07 PM, Caithloki said:

@SP_S6 So I went ahead and added almost all resources to the Fuel Hatch for Roverdude mods. I don't know if dropbox will work for downloading it but here is the link. https://www.dropbox.com/s/14cuk7fv17vxl2w/FuelHatch.rar?dl=0

@RoverDude I don't know if I am allowed to do this so just send me a message on here or PM and I will remove the dropbox file. If it is allowed I would be grateful to get a split up version of the texture file so I don't have to butcher your nice texture to get the correct colors for each option.

nice one mate! cheers :)

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, SpaceMouse said:

Did i miss the steam update at work or is this actually out before KSP had updated? That's awesome service! Lol.

You missed it.  In your steam client, you have to right click KSP, go to the beta tab and select the pre-release.

I figured asteroids probably wouldn't get much play, so I decided to goof around adding new moons to Kerbin. The stock claw got me a few, but when I downloaded this and tried a Jaw I could not get it to stick. I worked at it for about 25 minutes, moving towards the roid  at various speeds (2-30 m/s), but I could not get it to latch.

I think the grabby bit in the Jaw might not be working in 1.1

Edited by Jarnin

In a KSP version 1.0.5 skan It offers update to KSP 1.1 mods version only CRP, ART and USI Tools.

If remove these mods, them no longer install through the scan, only manually.

Interesting why that is.

Edited by Wuwuk

7 minutes ago, Wuwuk said:

In a KSP version 1.0.5 skan It offers update to KSP 1.1 mods version only CRP, ART and USI Tools.

If remove these mods, them no longer install through the scan, only manually.

Interesting why that is.

Bother the CKAN people.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.