[1.12.x] Asteroid Recycling Technologies

RoverDude

@RoverDude, I think you may have missed my question: what conditions have to be met for the "Vent Rock" option to pop up in an asteroid's right click menu? It doesn't appear when I latch onto asteroids with the Jaw and start the laser. I'm not sure if I'm experiencing a bug or have simply not brought along the correct ART components. I added ART to a clean install of KSP 1.2 and get the same problem.

I seem to be doing something wrong, I don't see any "Rock" ressource, neither in any the tanks nor showing up in the asteroids when I mine them. Also I can't dump rock like it's shown in the video. The asteroid shows masses and volumes changing, but I don't have any option to put in any storage. Am I missing anything here?

Funny you should mention the rock thing. I noticed that too, and ended up going thru a couple method of creating additional rock storage. i think he meant for the asteroids to be the storage of that itself, but at the same time he made it useful away from asteroids.

What I am wondering, as I can no longer find the link, is more wiki details about item usages. The whole making a self sufficient colony thing now is really complicated now. I would like to see it more clearly, but I am enjoying the puzzle to a degree.

I have noticed an issue that I am not sure it is a bug, as I only tried a couple times, but I had issue latching on to an asteroid with the same craft  after letting go. I ended up reverting and starting over. Which was too bad, because that first time the asteroid was full of these purple veins, and I was really curious to find iff that meant something about the contents. Second, when I had an asteroid locked in, I could seem to form the added tanks that I have seen in the videos. Might be missing something, but there seemed to be room for one. One wasn't forming of rock though.

I also  am curious about the scanners for asteroids, and the karborundum scanner. what can they tell you  and where does it show about asteroid content?

I think RoverDude concentrated his efforts on the restyle and rebalancing of MKS lately and had not the time to put much love into this one. I hope he will give it an overhaul since this was one of my most loved USI mods. Scanning Asteroids does, as far as I can tell and tested, not work. Stock scanner refuses to work or gives only ore readout. On the other Hand I could mine every CRP ressource if the appropiate tanks aka storage is connected to the asteroid.

The Rock-generating part of the mod seems to work, as long as I bring rock tanks along. Also the space generating part and the mass reducing part. I'll have to bring up one of the syphon claws next and see how they do on a hollowed-out asteroid that doesn't contain any rock nor rock storage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2016 at 2:14 AM, CraftyDwarf said:

...but I had issue latching on to an asteroid with the same craft  after letting go. .

I am having difficulty latching onto an asteroid with the "Jaw." It's armed, I have tried impacting at 2.5, 4, 5.1 m/s and I just bounce off. I am contacting the asteroid at a high AoA, near 90' with no lateral velocity. Is this correct? What am I missing?

Yep, scanning asteroids is broken at the moment :/

@oversoul if you're hitting a slope of the asteroid you may bounce off, be sure you're aiming at a flat part (relative to where you are), 2.5m/s is plenty. If it's persistently not working, you might've incorrectly installed the mod or missed a dependency. 95/100 times the problems are botched installs or accidentally overwriting something (e.g. USI tools) with an old version.

2 hours ago, Padishar said:

Does this mod increase the mass (and size?) of asteroids in general?  This person has (what appears to be) a class C asteroid that is ~10000 tons.  I've never seen a stock class E above 3500 tons...

Yes it does, re;

Edited by smurphy34
F is for forum software

I have a lot of problems with this mod in terms of mass ... it gets redicolusly high ... even when i mine the asteroid -- i can't do redirect missions.

here a few screenshots.: 

unmined 1

unmined 2

mined 1

these are C and D Asteroids but i also can't  do A asteroids XD

PLEASE HEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!! :)   

Edited by dietz33

2 hours ago, dietz33 said:

I have a lot of problems with this mod in terms of mass ... it gets redicolusly high ... even when i mine the asteroid -- i can't do redirect missions.

here a few screenshots.: 

unmined 1

unmined 2

mined 1

these are C and D Asteroids but i also can't  do A asteroids XD

PLEASE HEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!! :)   

This is by design.  Asteroids are a lot less fluffy.  So either drill them out until they are fluffy, or accept that redirect missions will be really really hard.

• 2 weeks later...

How does ART mining of Rock interact with stock drilling for Ore? Ideally I'd like to drill all of the Ore out and then fill that empty space with ART tanks. Does this work or do Rock mining and Ore drilling not work together?

On 11/10/2016 at 4:22 PM, dietz33 said:

i drilled the out .. still insane mass :( -- see picture link: mined 1

Yup, in this mod, getting an asteroid down to about 500 tons is about the best you can hope for.  Get used to it.  In this mod, asteroids are worthy of the name, something to fear, something that can wipe out life on Kerbin, and there's not much you can do about it.  Seriously, the whole stock Klaw redirect system is pretty silly.  In the real world, you need something like a solar sail, or the very tiny gravitational influence of a nearby probe, both acting over probably years, to gradually nudge an asteroid so it will barely miss Earth.  But those methods don't work in KSP.

5 hours ago, tjt said:

How does ART mining of Rock interact with stock drilling for Ore? Ideally I'd like to drill all of the Ore out and then fill that empty space with ART tanks. Does this work or do Rock mining and Ore drilling not work together?

They work on different things and can both be done the same asteroid.  The same guy made both systems, you know.

14 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

They work on different things and can both be done the same asteroid.  The same guy made both systems, you know.

Yes :) I'm trying to figure out how the mass works out though. If I have a 300 ton asteroid and I drill out 80% for Ore I'm left with a 60 ton asteroid. How does this affect the capacity for ART? Is ART going to look at it as a 60 ton asteroid with very limited storage space possible or will it treat it like a 300 ton asteroid with a lot more storage space?

1 minute ago, tjt said:

Yes :) I'm trying to figure out how the mass works out though. If I have a 300 ton asteroid and I drill out 80% for Ore I'm left with a 60 ton asteroid. How does this affect the capacity for ART? Is ART going to look at it as a 60 ton asteroid with very limited storage space possible or will it treat it like a 300 ton asteroid with a lot more storage space?

It's been a while since I messed with this, but IIRC if you have ART installed, then the rock is X tons of which Y% is resources and the rest is rock.  So both systems know how much of their stuff is there for the taking.

1 minute ago, Geschosskopf said:

It's been a while since I messed with this, but IIRC if you have ART installed, then the rock is X tons of which Y% is resources and the rest is rock.  So both systems know how much of their stuff is there for the taking.

That helps...so, if I mine out X amount of Ore that doesn't actually make any space available for ART but it also doesn't take away from the potential ART capacity for the rock?

Rock is essentially the same as any resource - you chew out the mass, and it converts it to what is available.  No storage and it is dumped.  Regarding mass... yeah, this pretty much kills asteroid redirect missions, it was a balance choice.

14 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Rock is essentially the same as any resource - you chew out the mass, and it converts it to what is available.  No storage and it is dumped.  Regarding mass... yeah, this pretty much kills asteroid redirect missions, it was a balance choice.

Thanks for the help. Maybe I just need to try it to understand, but I'm trying to understand the balance of making captured asteroids useful, but then killing off redirecting asteroids :o  Are you literally saying it Kills redirect or does it just make it tougher by making them heavier? can I still move a Class C?

Edited by tjt

Anything is possible, with enough boosters.  :wink:

This doesn't put the asteroids on rails, so you can technically still redirect them.  They are just much, much more massive than they were, so you need a lot of thrust to move them.  I haven't tried with an Orion drive yet - but it's likely to be in that order of magnitude or worse to do it.

2 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Anything is possible, with enough boosters.  :wink:

This doesn't put the asteroids on rails, so you can technically still redirect them.  They are just much, much more massive than they were, so you need a lot of thrust to move them.  I haven't tried with an Orion drive yet - but it's likely to be in that order of magnitude or worse to do it.

So a 100 ton Class C becomes a 1000 ton Class E. If you happen to be roleplaying and there's a Class E on it's way to strike Kerbin...well  haha

Does this only affect new Asteroids or do existing asteroids get up-massed as well? I already have a couple I've captured.

10 hours ago, tjt said:

So a 100 ton Class C becomes a 1000 ton Class E. If you happen to be roleplaying and there's a Class E on it's way to strike Kerbin...well  haha

With ART the classes are meaningless.  You might find a 100K-ton B and a 50K-ton D.  So no indication of relative size . 

19 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

In this mod, asteroids are worthy of the name, something to fear, something that can wipe out life on Kerbin, and there's not much you can do about it.

This makes me wonder - do the mass of asteroids in KSP with this mod bring them roughly equivalent to the mass of actual asteroids of comparable size? Because if so Class-E asteroids top out around 50m or so. That's not civilization ending. City ending, sure.

15 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

This makes me wonder - do the mass of asteroids in KSP with this mod bring them roughly equivalent to the mass of actual asteroids of comparable size? Because if so Class-E asteroids top out around 50m or so. That's not civilization ending. City ending, sure.

Like i said, IGNORE the class assigned by the tracking station.  It has ZERO ;to do with the mass of thing.  Last time I used ART (in 1.1.3), I had a C that was over 80,000 tons(!) and a D that was "only" 56,000 tons.  Those weights are comparable to post-Treaty battleships.  So yeah, not world-enders, but definitely very dangerous, and totally impractical to move by rocket power.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.