[1.12.x] Asteroid Recycling Technologies

RoverDude

Ok, so mow I'm trying to mod the .cfg file to make my new texture work properly and I don't think I've quite managed it.

Below in quotes is what I'm trying and in red is the stuff I've added

PART

{

name = HA_FuelHatch

module = Part

author = WaRi/RoverDude

mesh = FuelHatch.mu

scale = 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, -0.0, 0.00, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.15, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1

TechRequired = actuators

entryCost = 5200

cost = 450

category = Utility

subcategory = 0

title = Fuel Hatch

manufacturer = TBD

description = TBD

attachRules = 1,1,0,0,0

mass = 0.075

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.3

minimum_drag = 0.2

angularDrag = 1

crashTolerance = 7

maxTemp = 3600

fuelCrossFeed = False

crashTolerance = 50

breakingForce = 50

breakingTorque = 50

MODULE

{

name = ModuleGrappleNode

nodeTransformName = ClampNode

deployAnimationController = 1

nodeType = size1

captureRange = 0.05

captureMinFwdDot = 0.866

captureMaxRvel = 1

}

MODULE

{

name=USI_DynamicPort

latchAnimation = Clamp

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleAnimateGeneric

animationName = Arm

startEventGUIName = Arm

endEventGUIName = Disarm

actionGUIName = Toggle Arming

}

MODULE

{

name = FStextureSwitch2

textureNames = ART/FuelHatch/Ka;ART/FuelHatch/LF;ART/FuelHatch/OX;ART/FuelHatch/XE;ART/FuelHatch/Kethane

objectNames = Base;Centro1;Mano1;Mano1 1;Mano1 2;Mano1 3;Mano1 4;Mano1 5;Mano1 6;Mano1 7;Mano1 8;Mano1 9;Mano1 10;Mano1 11;Mano1 12;Mano1 13;Mano1 14;Mano1 15;Mano1 16;Mano1 17;Mano1 18;Mano1 19;Mano1 20;Mano1 21;Mano1 22;Mano1 23

textureDisplayNames = Karbonite;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer;XenonGas;Kethane

useFuelSwitchModule = true

fuelTankSetups = 0;1;2;3;4

}

MODULE

{

name = FSfuelSwitch

resourceNames = Karbonite;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer;XenonGas;Kethane

resourceAmounts = 0.0001;0.0001;0.0001;0.0001;0.0001

hasGUI = false

}

MODULE

{

name = TweakScale

type = stack

scaleFactors = 0.625, 1.25, 2.5

scaleNames = 0.625m, 1.25m, 2.5m

}

}

Nothing is dramatically wrong but the the image below highlights one issue in the VAB, area highlighted red is missing.

2Rbfkq4.jpg

Once launched however it seems fine.

52D3CF8A12BB969322206849D9B8BAFD68365D17

Main things I am unsure about is adding the ";4" under fueltanksetups and if I've got the resource name for Kethane right!

Ok, so mow I'm trying to mod the .cfg file to make my new texture work properly and I don't think I've quite managed it.

Below in quotes is what I'm trying and in red is the stuff I've added

Nothing is dramatically wrong but the the image below highlights one issue in the VAB, area highlighted red is missing.

http://i.imgur.com/2Rbfkq4.jpg

Once launched however it seems fine.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/52112824335530069/52D3CF8A12BB969322206849D9B8BAFD68365D17/

Main things I am unsure about is adding the ";4" under fueltanksetups and if I've got the resource name for Kethane right!

Looks fine, Kethane is non-tweakable which is why it looks weird in the texture selection thing

This mod is not working for me :c I tried to launch a rocket with 4 containers, but after a few seconds, before leaving the first atmosphere layer, the tanks dissapear, and the camera starts moving down, like if the tanks were teleported to the center of kerbin or something. Any attached struts also points toward the back of the rocket. I'm using NEAR, and no other part has this behavior. Any idea of what could be wrong?

This mod is not working for me :c I tried to launch a rocket with 4 containers, but after a few seconds, before leaving the first atmosphere layer, the tanks dissapear, and the camera starts moving down, like if the tanks were teleported to the center of kerbin or something. Any attached struts also points toward the back of the rocket. I'm using NEAR, and no other part has this behavior. Any idea of what could be wrong?

What version of ART? Also what version of KSP?

0.5.0 PRE-RELEASE IS UP!

May contain bees - report bugs, report what works :)

A bunch of goodies from Taverius:

•ATM configs

•DRE support

•MFT support

Added FireSpitter version file

Updated to ORSX

Updated Module Manager

Updated USI Tools

Increased JAW laser strength and energy usage

Fuel hatches now have a top node so they can be stacked for delivery

Updated CRP resources

Increased JAW laser strength and energy usage

Fuel hatches now have a top node so they can be stacked for delivery

Massive Wewt, and a decent secondary wewt. :P

Now i will have to fire up ksp and most likely break something. hah.

All for the best though, since this is a pre-release. Gotta squash the bees at some point.

REALLY? i JUST downloaded this for the first time less then an hour ago. you really need to stop being so prolific and awesome. the rest of us are on a the red queen's treadmill trying to keep up with you.

I gave you a week off :)

Massive Wewt, and a decent secondary wewt. :P

Now i will have to fire up ksp and most likely break something. hah.

All for the best though, since this is a pre-release. Gotta squash the bees at some point.

Hopefully bee free!

vixevd5.png

A few minor problems.

1) The Jaw doesn't have to be armed to melt rock. That laser should be melting the cover off...

2) That is only a problem however, because it can melt rock while aimed off into space. Without ever having to attach to the asteroid directly. :P

Heh, came up with this idea on your last version before you upgraded the Jaw. Had 90 odd jaws all radially attached to my rocket to burn the class E asteroids out faster. Meant to report it but got distracted. Looks like no one else did either.

3) When i switch to the space center and then back to the ship, all the jaws have shut down.

YES YES YES I FINALY HAVE A USE FOR ALL THE ASTEROIDS I MASS-TRACK :D

Now to pull all the E classes into orbit...

I'll build a base to mass extract karbonite using that space extractor thing, does it have to be orbiting a certain planet to extract karbonite?

Edited by Deadpangod3

Shiny, very shiny indeed. :cool:

So far so good, only a couple of minor issues to report:

Appears that 'asteroid size' resets on load / scene change?

Mining a largish (1996t) rock, converted some 3000000units / 500t to empty space.

Switch to space centre and back - mass reads 1996t again, though empty / total space values are ok.

When working with large asteroids (bigger is better, right?), the default increments on the 'vent rock', 'expand tank' and 'compress' buttons are pretty hard on the rodent...

1) The Jaw doesn't have to be armed to melt rock. That laser should be melting the cover off...
2) That is only a problem however, because it can melt rock while aimed off into space. Without ever having to attach to the asteroid directly.
3) When i switch to the space center and then back to the ship, all the jaws have shut down.

Confirmed here.

On another note;

Is there anything special I need to do to add new resources to fuel hatches? A blind guess (before finding firespitter docs) gave me:

@PART[HA_FuelHatch]
{
@MODULE[FStextureSwitch2]
{
@textureNames ^= :$:;ART/FuelHatch/Ka;ART/FuelHatch/XE:
@textureDisplayNames ^= :$:;LiquidHydrogen;ArgonGas:
@fuelTankSetups ^= :$:;4;5:
}
@MODULE[FSfuelSwitch]
{
@resourceNames ^= :$:;LiquidHydrogen;ArgonGas:
@resourceAmounts ^= :$:;0.0001;0.0001:
}
}

It appears to work, though I'm far too lazy to make new textures just yet.

Close?

0.5.1 is up!

Download via the USI Catalog Page. All USI mods are updated at once, so for your convenience there is also an all-in-one pack on DropBox that includes all of the goodness in one package.

• ATM configs
  • DRE support
  • MFT support
  • Added FireSpitter version file
  • Updated to ORSX
  • Updated Module Manager
  • Updated USI Tools
  • Increased JAW laser strength and energy usage
  • Fuel hatches now have a top node so they can be stacked for delivery
  • Updated CRP resources

Hey, I built me a rocket with 4.5.

I had used procedural fairings to stack a crew pod and driller on top of a hatch.

The mission plan was to go out and attach the drill, then fire the staging and, then attach the hatch, connect KAS cables if needed, and then fire the engine, attached to the hatch, which made sense because it was 2.5m and looked like it could take the thrust, using the asteroid itself as fuel... The project was to put it in orbit over a tiny, fast spinning, planet called Deen and then build a beanstalk. =P Karbonite would be obtained down at the surface and fill the asteroid to be distributed to ships. Okay, that's not quite sane but hey, this is kerbal. Jeb can do anything.

The mission failed because I could not get the hatch to engage with the asteroid. I tried my usual techniques, then I tried KAS-style ramming which only resulted in a broken ship and a botched mission. =( does the asteroid have to be a certain percent hollow before the hatch can engage? This needs to be obvious at the VAB so that I can plan my mission accordingly.

Hey, I built me a rocket with 4.5.

I had used procedural fairings to stack a crew pod and driller on top of a hatch.

The mission plan was to go out and attach the drill, then fire the staging and, then attach the hatch, connect KAS cables if needed, and then fire the engine, attached to the hatch, which made sense because it was 2.5m and looked like it could take the thrust, using the asteroid itself as fuel... The project was to put it in orbit over a tiny, fast spinning, planet called Deen and then build a beanstalk. =P Karbonite would be obtained down at the surface and fill the asteroid to be distributed to ships. Okay, that's not quite sane but hey, this is kerbal. Jeb can do anything.

The mission failed because I could not get the hatch to engage with the asteroid. I tried my usual techniques, then I tried KAS-style ramming which only resulted in a broken ship and a botched mission. =( does the asteroid have to be a certain percent hollow before the hatch can engage? This needs to be obvious at the VAB so that I can plan my mission accordingly.

The hatches operate on the same principle as the ARM claw - let me see however if the new top node is being finnicky.

Intermediate step to help your situation - the hatches operate when not directly attached assuming they can find a path fuel wise to the asteroid itself.

A few possible bug reports.

The particle effect produces by the melt rock command appears to be streaming behind the 'roid like a contrail (See picture below)

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/52113253190640936/695723C91E7269ADC263C7186C5239C9BEE43D2F/

This only happens when timewarp is NOT engaged, switch it on and it looks normal, off and back etc.

I also had a the orbit of the roid changing when the water converter was active, started in 25k circular orbit around Minmus, after converted ~100 units of rock to water found myself in a ~22km Pe / 36km Ap orbit. This issue however I could not replicate . . . I shunted back into 25km circular and did it again, change in orbit did not repeat itself.

Note: Haven't updated to 0.51 yet, many other mods installed, Will provide list if requested.

Also a question, As I see it the hatches act to provide the "Expand Space" option, converting empty space into space for whatever resource is encoded by the hatch in question. Is there any particular coding reason why a hatch couldn't do multiple resources simultaneously. I.e. an LF/Ox hatch.

Edited by Bishop149

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.