Kethane Station Discussion

Halban

1 hour ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Is this with the Erickson? I've driven it a bit, and it doesn't seem to have much problems.

Nah, this is a completely different tank, although I've already remedied the problem.

Apparently the dampening setting has a lot to do with the problem. A higher dampening value makes the wheels destroy themselves, while a lower one, reduces the chance.

I'm not sure if I should add my newest creation to the post. It's a cargo truck, with 228 parts. Is that too many for a cargo truck? I know some of the posts have vehicles that use around 200 parts, but those are tanks and this is only a cargo truck.

Here's the link if you want to look at it: https://kerbalx.com/Deathpuff12/EMTV-45-Loire

EDIT: Also, I updated my post. Added the UMAA-29 Rhino: a SPAAG.

Edited by Deathpuff12

23 hours ago, Deathpuff12 said:

I'm not sure if I should add my newest creation to the post

Is it a HEMTT? Looks like one.

Also, I'm suing you for using the name of my tank line! :)

Pretty nice coincidence.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

17 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Is it a HEMTT? Looks like one.

Also, I'm suing you for using the name of my tank line! :)

Pretty nice coincidence.

It's "loosely" based on the HEMTT. At first I wanted to make something like a semi truck, but then I decided to make the HEMTT.

As for the name...

Technically, neither of us can use it. The UNSC had it first.

:P

4 hours ago, Deathpuff12 said:

It's "loosely" based on the HEMTT

Ah, did about the same thing but opposite with the Helt1

lars2.jpgIuSVZIJ.png

It was supposed to be some MAN KAT1, but I couldn't keep it at six wheels for the required roles, so stretched it to 12 wheels.

I have something that @HatBat might like, still ironing out a few tiny kinks before I'll package it and post it on the ship submissions thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j58ctt6laabs0i/Long Range Destroyer Mk II.craft?dl=0

KSHC8dt.png

Basically this is a 130 ton, 500 part "Long Range Destroyer" that is built with VTOL capabilities on small moons and planets. Tested on (so far) Moho, Dres, Gilly, Bop, Pol, Eeloo, and Ike.

This ship has a 1 man crew (though can operate autonomously), an ore extraction capability and both VTOL aerospikes and NERVA propultion. Range is 2km/s on NERVA and 500 m/s on aerospike. 
Weapons capability is currently two Mk IV "Popper" anti-ship missiles, though the docking ports on the beam mounts allow fitting of your choice of fitting of I-beam mounts or fighters.
I thought it would be a cool design for HKA to use as a clandestine hit-and-run ship similar to the Retribution in COD: Infinite warfare.

let me know what you guys think of it.

VJjJRYc.jpg

7xmwmyl.jpg

hefUf4n.jpg

Edited by zekes

Made some small modifications. Part count is still under 600 but now the ship features two probes, a small Ion/RCS scout to seek out and report locations of enemy ships or units, and a mapper which allows the on-the-fly scanning of a planet for ore if the LRD (Liberty? I like that name) should be in acute need of fuel.

lxkanFA.jpg

VaNpQ0J.jpg

v7FbVId.jpg

lPGTObX.jpg

Edited by zekes

1 hour ago, Spartwo said:

Really like this different approach to reconnaissance. And it's not much more expensive than the way I go about it.

Are you referring to the Liberty? It's definitely a trade off to land VTOL, but it's not hard to convert it to dedicated orbital use and get 4-5km d/v. I might just have two variants for that reason.

Question for @HatBat too, is it okay if I write stuff on pre-HKA history? Stuff as several smaller private or state companies controlling the kethane and other ressource market before HKA and GMI gained a dual "monopoly" over it. Or was kethane only exploited when HKA discovered it?

21 hours ago, zekes said:

lxkanFA.jpg

That ship is absolutely stunning. I've got some plans for it that I'll message you about.

10 hours ago, Spartwo said:

Really like this different approach to reconnaissance. And it's not much more expensive than the way I go about it.

bonRceG.png

What ship is that? Have you not released it yet? Looks great.

10 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

Hey, @HatBat, I'm wondering if my craft submissions got accepted? I posted them in the submission thread a while ago.

That's not quite how submissions work. Whilst I keep up with posts in the thread, when it comes time to make the episode I tell @ScriptKitt3h what I'm looking for and he'll  find something in the thread that he thinks will meet my expectations. You'll have to link me to your submission if you'd like me to take a closer look.

48 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Question for @HatBat too, is it okay if I write stuff on pre-HKA history? Stuff as several smaller private or state companies controlling the kethane and other ressource market before HKA and GMI gained a dual "monopoly" over it. Or was kethane only exploited when HKA discovered it?

I haven't really thought of the specifics of the timeline like that. For example: right now I'm still deciding whether or not the Jool system has been visited outside of scientific missions. So I guess I don't really have an answer; it just depends on whether or not I like what you write.

Edited by HatBat

@HatBat I have one other development which you may like. The idea is a fighter that isn't limited by carrier compatability, but is able to dock and supply as needed. EDIT: It fits in a Mk3 Cargo bay with slight modification, so it can be on a carrier. It's long range (4,300 m/s d/v),  and a cockpit that is dead center aimed for its four i-beams. Also easily refuelable thanks to the large ion fuel pod in the center of the craft. Features rear docking port and RCS to maneuver it in with. also turned a drek into a 2-ship carrier.

Carrier file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuz5w64a8m3qi2w/XAR DREK I.craft?dl=0

Fighter File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sye1njwk19edyeb/XAR-C FIGHTER.craft?dl=0

nYyC3qw.jpg

vyUYdry.png

jQC59He.jpg

Edited by zekes

11 hours ago, HatBat said:

it just depends on whether or not I like what you write

What do you think of this then?

ZG2p5DB.png

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

In the decades preceding the twin monopoly on Kethane established by HKA and GMI, several moderately powerful private and public commercial alliances controlled much of the ressource market and backed related conflicts all around the world. One of these were the Kalban states' industries, mainly relying on oil and metal exportation for sustainment. That was the only real "private" economic activity, and all other services were provided by public companies within the alliance.

However, when Kethane was discovered, the Kalban states found themselves ill-prepared for they were one of the rare non space-faring countries. As the price of fuel fell down, economical unrest also fell on the country. Despite urgent projects for space exploration and investing in its defense industry, the breaking of the states was inevitable, and thus began a decade long series of civil conflicts, starting when two of the states declared independence and decided to fight for it when it was refused. In the end, all six states split and formed their own republics.

After the dust settled, several of the formerly state-owned companies found themselves short on clients and funds. The only possible choice for survival was a massive merger of all of those working in a similar sector. Thus, in the transport and defense industry, all former military and civil contractors merged their development and production facilities, the largest contributors being M&C Aviation, a civilian aerospace manufacturer, Kalban Logistics, a major ground contractor for the former Kalban army and  Aimbot Labs, an aerospace defense contractor. Thus the acronym name "MDL", MCA Defense and Logistics was chosen.

With fewer and fewer civilian offers and a massive call for armament by all sides of the conflict, MDL ended production of most airliners, cars and the like and focused on either converting peace time vehicles into logistics one or developing new weapons. Because of the lack of space experience, production has been limited to atmospheric assets, although there are plans to continue the research initiated by the Kalban government.

As of now, MDL stands with HKA as it believes that the monopoly it will establish will bring economic stability and prevent another crisis.

Also some new craft on the page, if you want to check them out.

0NsOoF8.jpg

EMPdhTL.jpg

SltzJIT.jpg

Oh wow, I've missed quite a bit haven't I...

For those wondering where I've been (especially in regards to the series and so on), college was eating up much of my free time as of late (and admittedly I'd managed to burn myself out on KSP in a similar timeframe), so I had to take a step back from the game as a whole during the past couple of months.

However, with me being more-or-less freed up for 2-ish months before Fall semester starts, I'm much more able to get back into the swing of things in KSP and with the series- expect me to be trawling through the submissions thread today or tomorrow to catch up on what I've missed craft-wise.

1 minute ago, Spartwo said:

Cheers for the shout out Script.

Yup, no problem! :) I was glad to see your tutorial series after HatBat linked me to it earlier, great stuff- I always like the idea of making it easier for players to get started with making ships, and that should come in handy for those who are coming to submit off of HatBat's channel and not the forums.

On 5/9/2017 at 1:27 AM, zekes said:

I have something that @HatBat might like, still ironing out a few tiny kinks before I'll package it and post it on the ship submissions thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j58ctt6laabs0i/Long Range Destroyer Mk II.craft?dl=0

KSHC8dt.png

Basically this is a 130 ton, 500 part "Long Range Destroyer" that is built with VTOL capabilities on small moons and planets. Tested on (so far) Moho, Dres, Gilly, Bop, Pol, Eeloo, and Ike.

This ship has a 1 man crew (though can operate autonomously), an ore extraction capability and both VTOL aerospikes and NERVA propultion. Range is 2km/s on NERVA and 500 m/s on aerospike. 
Weapons capability is currently two Mk IV "Popper" anti-ship missiles, though the docking ports on the beam mounts allow fitting of your choice of fitting of I-beam mounts or fighters.
I thought it would be a cool design for HKA to use as a clandestine hit-and-run ship similar to the Retribution in COD: Infinite warfare.

let me know what you guys think of it.

VJjJRYc.jpg

7xmwmyl.jpg

hefUf4n.jpg

She's a beaut, @zekes. Can definitely see the design influence from IW.

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

I've been testing some new kind of weapon using the landing gear cannon trick. It propels a beam at about 300 m/s onto enemy ships, and has been able to shoot off armor pretty reliably, although I still have to find a way to damage the interior. It's currently a single shot weapon, and I'm working on building a ship around it with reloading rods.

VnQwjQK.png

1ojwbda.pngfg4CkVz.png5DUDT2K.jpgstvBROS.pngtTR8jDc.png

I'm not sure if the weapon could be considered a bug, since it uses suspension to get a projectile speed that's almost impossible to attain quickly with rockets. What do you guys think?

Edited by NotAnAimbot

1 hour ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

by using heaty shields i meant because bd armoury uses heat to damage i wondered if that applied to heat shield ablators :P

Heat* lol

Nope, Radiators can explode before dissipating heat, and heat shields can't take the impact.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.