Kethane Station Discussion

Halban

4 hours ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

minimum distance?

Depends. With low mass and projectile speed, point blank can work. With the SH-125K, 500m was a good distance iirc. From what I've observed, the heavier the craft the faster the projectile, and the faster the projectile the longer the minimal range.

Or it could just be that you're not aiming well. Trial and error is the way to go for this weapon.

9 hours ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

a gear gun on one of MiffedStarfish's stock turets.

The recoil is pretty strong compared to launch speed, and you need some mass to get enough projectile speed to do damage. If you examine the SH-125K's test pics, you'll see that the whole front part of the craft is displaced by the launch's shock. 

eIqZm5z.jpg

I've thought about it, but I think the launch might break the turret's bearings if it's heavy enough or just do no damage if the mass is too low.

7 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I think the turret could handle it, but it wouldn't look to good. I'll put the turret subassembly up today if you want to try it.

I think you already have on page 24-25 or something.

2 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

The recoil is pretty strong compared to launch speed, and you need some mass to get enough projectile speed to do damage. If you examine the SH-125K's test pics, you'll see that the whole front part of the craft is displaced by the launch's shock.

I've thought about it, but I think the launch might break the turret's bearings if it's heavy enough or just do no damage if the mass is too low.

very big bearings? like 2.5 meter ones could work :D 

if theres another turret ill try it

17 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Depends. With low mass and projectile speed, point blank can work. With the SH-125K, 500m was a good distance iirc. From what I've observed, the heavier the craft the faster the projectile, and the faster the projectile the longer the minimal range.

Or it could just be that you're not aiming well. Trial and error is the way to go for this weapon.

This video will help you understand why your projectiles are not always hitting the target. 

@VeryShyProxy I think the problem is a flaw in KSP's game engine and tick rate physics, known as "phasing." it occurs at speeds of above 350m/s, and basically entails ships partially clipping inside each other, or passing right through each other, due to the crafts moving so fast relative to each other that the game doesn't process physics fast enough to recognise that they are inside each other. It has never been stopped, as it is only encountered while using high-end Stock missiles and never inside normal gameplay, and to fix it would mean a massive increase in lag. So I think it's just a quirk in the game engine.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

5 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

@VeryShyProxy I think the problem is a flaw in KSP's game engine and tick rate physics, known as "phasing." it occurs at speeds of above 350m/s, and basically entails ships partially clipping inside each other, or passing right through each other, due to the crafts moving so fast relative to each other that the game doesn't process physics fast enough to recognise that they are inside each other. It has never been stopped, as it is only encountered while using high-end Stock missiles and never inside normal gameplay, and to fix it would mean a massive increase in lag. So I think it's just a quirk in the game engine.

I agree. i dont think ksp has a gravity metric for vehicles.

19 hours ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

I agree. i dont think ksp has a gravity metric for vehicles.

The gravity stuff has nothing to do with it.  The video just explains what phasing is in a manner that's easier to understand than trying to explain it through text. 

I wanted to ask around to see if HatBat might be interested in featuring stock land weapons? I know that most of ground combat will be BD based for simplicity. Could use some good variation though. 

For instance I just developed my next generation stock tank with 6 high penetration i-beam launchers capable of annihilating just about any stock or modded vehicle. I think some stock land battles would be cool. Works awesome for space combat. 

Of course I would side my tanks with GMI since they are already underwhelmed in submissions compared to HKA.

9D99D0179AB7772585F133964BCEA0B9590A1E33

Edited by Jon144

@MiffedStarfish @Joseph Kerman I'll likely use both if I can. Joseph I should mention that the submissions thread isn't really for general posting, strictly just submissions with all the relevant information. It's alright if you plan to edit that same post later but I'd appreciate if you could take another look at the rules.

@Jon144 I'm afraid I don't have a great deal of interest in stock atmo weapons. Space combat works because micro-gravity does away with ballistics and opens the door to a lot of interesting weapons and tactics. I find stock atmo kind've boring given that so much of the focus is on just hitting the target when BD Armoury allows for such a wide range of interesting gameplay.

My friend @SuperHappySquid does a lot of stock atmo videos if you're interested in seeing that.

Edited by HatBat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.