Kethane Station Discussion

Halban

31 minutes ago, Aveeeno said:

So the video states that GMI and it's allies have moved off kerbin, so should people still build atmospheric craft? Or do you think it will be more space focused now?

I think and hope it’ll be space focused in the future, though atmospheric combat is still entertaining. Then again, if GMI is moving off-planet, then that implies they have a sustainable outpost big enough to house everyone somewhere in the system. As they would have little or no contact with Kerbin, all resource management and acquisition would be very hard, and extremely important. If you were setting up an outpost which would have to survive with practically no resource shipments from Kerbin, the logical choice of location for a sustainable base would be Laythe, as it has a breathable atmosphere and water in abundant quantities, and is also remote, with no major known HKA assets ever having been there, coupled with high Delta-V requirements and long transfer times for vessels wishing to travel there. And jets do work on Laythe...

4 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

I hope it's Laythe. My wet navy ships would have a higher probability of being used... :D

Laythe is what I'm hoping for, and it's definitely the most logical choice for this season's extra-planetary combat. I sincerely hope there will be ground warfare on the archipelagos for the S2 equivalent to the Centurions on Duna, since there's a lot of neat potential there. As @MiffedStarfish said, jets do work in Laythe's atmosphere; could you imagine dogfights between SSTOs near sea level trying to provide air support to armored cars on the surface? :P

5 hours ago, Aveeeno said:

So the video states that GMI and it's allies have moved off kerbin, so should people still build atmospheric craft? Or do you think it will be more space focused now?

After this newest episode, I'm sure most of the warfare will be in space or on other planets. I hope it's not all of the combat though, since I quite like the Kerbin battle scenes, and the various different regions around Kerbin have lots of potential for different shots. Cool  shots in the arctic, over the ocean, or in Kerbin's massive desert would be pretty unique from each other, visuals wise.

From a lore perspective, even if GMI is focusing on operating independently from Kerbin, it would be a wise move for them to keep a small amount of resources on Kerbin for small skirmishes. Sneak attacks by GMI forces could seriously hamper and harass HKA and their coalition as they mobilize for a massive space war, which would buy GMI more time to prepare themselves. Perhaps these attacks could be described as local resistance from GMI-aligned corporations. 

I swear I'm not biased on anything because I primarily make atmospheric craft! :D 

Edited by Mobius

21 hours ago, Mobius said:

From a lore perspective, even if GMI is focusing on operating independently from Kerbin, it would be a wise move for them to keep a small amount of resources on Kerbin for small skirmishes.

Currrently though, HKA has no solid reason to actually press the attack on GMI. They rescued Bob, chased them off Kerbin, killed the CEO on Minmus, and took back control of the KSC. (however irradiated it is) They have pretty much everything they want from the conflict, the only reasons they have to push forward are for compensation or revenge. Which, to be fair, a significant part of the population will want for putting a stranglehold on space flight and killing several kerbals in the war.

I’m going to actually definitely probably update my page tomorrow. I’ll update pictures of the Hyperion, as you can barely see it in the current ones, and put up an updated Oceanus. I’ll also try to add my wet navy ships, my latest fighter and ground attack plane, and my only tank.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

Hey, i'm back, but I've got a question concerning something that I've been meaning to submit for a while and am getting cold feet about.

This

u9Gtdqh.png

This beast is 559 parts, and the ablative armor makes it nigh impossible to launch it into orbit (at least to my knowledge). 

What I'm asking (i think) is for some advice on this from other participants in this series. Any way to reduce the part count? Is there a way to launch this from the ground? That sort of stuff. 

On another note, how all ya'll doin'! I've heard that the BDarmory armor got nerfed, does that mean the old tanks are still viable?

18 minutes ago, Greymangames said:

Hey, i'm back, but I've got a question concerning something that I've been meaning to submit for a while and am getting cold feet about.

This

This beast is 559 parts, and the ablative armor makes it nigh impossible to launch it into orbit (at least to my knowledge). 

What I'm asking (i think) is for some advice on this from other participants in this series. Any way to reduce the part count? Is there a way to launch this from the ground? That sort of stuff. 

On another note, how all ya'll doin'! I've heard that the BDarmory armor got nerfed, does that mean the old tanks are still viable?

My personal favorite method for launching massive craft is to sandwich them between two boosters.

CnbloXZ.png

That's my 70-ton destroyer on its way to orbit. Enough tanks and mammoths, and anything is a SSTO.

In other news, I've been working on another destroyer, this one in the 50 ton class:

ZhDU8Mp.png

Still looks like a submarine, which is a plus in my book.

17 minutes ago, Servo said:

My personal favorite method for launching massive craft is to sandwich them between two boosters.

CnbloXZ.png

That's my 70-ton destroyer on its way to orbit. Enough tanks and mammoths, and anything is a SSTO.

In other news, I've been working on another destroyer, this one in the 50 ton class:

ZhDU8Mp.png

Still looks like a submarine, which is a plus in my book.

Wait so you're just brute forcing it into orbit? Is it really that simple? Surely the wing parts must interfere with the launch profile.

2 minutes ago, Greymangames said:

Wait so you're just brute forcing it into orbit? Is it really that simple? Surely the wing parts must interfere with the launch profile.

I thought I had the same problem in constructing this thing.

n0HGDES_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Fairings wouldn’t fit, so I thought for an hour about how I was going to get it into orbit. In the end, I got bored and just clicked launch with it looking like this.

S9AmqnG_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

To my disbelief, it made it to orbit just fine.

Yours looks quite long and thin, so you could try and put a fairing on it.

I know I haven't been active for a while so here's a bunch of stuff I have been working on in the time since in no particular order:

0fskaoZ.png

Zarek II Interceptor

YWmb8AI.png

FOaiI2x.png

ELF8K1U.png

Small, Medium and Large reusable ascent rockets

Z9nVEZ7.png

Melek-class SSTO (updated and functional)

uQOZW3G.png

Temur-class Frigate

SBhf476.png

Jeskai-class CCS jet

NHJDcMR.png

Thassa II Fighter (Still WIP)

I'll be uploading .craft files on the main thread at my earliest convenience

Updated downloads of the EX-5 Oceanus and the EX-7 Hyperion, managed to shave over 200 parts off the Oceanus with more economic fighters, 20 off the Hyperion with by removing useless missile parts while stopping the wobble of all the sections with struts, and changed all the lighting to green because HKA. Also redid the screenshots because you could barely see the Hyperion in old pics.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.