Kethane Station Discussion

Halban

1 hour ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Not entirely sure on my end, though my suspicion is that it's just a byproduct of the buildup to Episode 25's ground combat getting everyone to focus on atmospheric stuff.

But yes, more spaceborne craft would be a welcome sight, and I'm personally hoping that we can get some submissions of stuff like combat logistics craft (like transports and salvage ships), or things like small stations and field bases. Jets, tanks, and other Kerbin-bound craft are wonderful, don't get me wrong, but it'd be great to see some more variety of submissions.

Consider it done. I'll have a few designs up by the end of the weekend.

4 hours ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

I'm personally hoping that we can get some submissions of stuff like combat logistics craft (like transports and salvage ships), or things like small stations and field bases.

Consider it done.

6 hours ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

But yes, more spaceborne craft would be a welcome sight, and I'm personally hoping that we can get some submissions of stuff like combat logistics craft (like transports and salvage ships), or things like small stations and field bases. Jets, tanks, and other Kerbin-bound craft are wonderful, don't get me wrong, but it'd be great to see some more variety of submissions.

Consider it done Funny enough, I've been working on a space cargo transport for a little while now, since it's part of my company's backstory. I'll try my best to get it actually working :D

I've got the better part of my base architecture down, I've just run into some ... problems ... in testing.

PAAIDPo.png

The system includes the ISRU pod (center), solar arrays (atached to the ISRU pod), four trusses (only two shown), two tank platforms (attached to the trusses), and two tanks (LFO one not shown) and a habitat module. To assemble it all, there is a dropship (rated for 15 tons on the Mun, or 50 on Minmus), plus a ground rover (attached to the ore tank) and a lift (background) that can lift tanks onto the platforms.

Here's an earlier picture with everything right-side-up:

HXPy5d5.png

And one of the dropship:

VfdmiK8.png

Those tricouplers are wonderful. I love the lines on this thing.

I'm going to complete a full-up test on Minmus before I put it up for download.

Along the lines of bases, we're looking for some strategic-level surface bases and orbital defense stations - it'd be wonderful to see some get submitted, and will help greatly in the series' production.

Additionally, the rules have been updated, simply to remind everyone to please let us know on this discussion thread when you add/update your submissions in your submission thread post.

42 minutes ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Along the lines of bases, we're looking for some strategic-level surface bases

Can you define that a little better? Do you mean armed and defensible? Or just something that can refuel the warships?

2 hours ago, Servo said:

Can you define that a little better? Do you mean armed and defensible? Or just something that can refuel the warships?

Think of a military base- sure, it's likely to be armed, but it also has barracks for troops, defensive weapons, and supplies for combat units- so yeah, a bit of both.

Question for @ScriptKitt3h, can spaceships have radars or any other non-combat BDA parts? I'm thinking about said radars and FLIR cameras, but not autopilot or the missile guidance system since they can be used offensively.

My reasoning behind this is that they can only be used passively to increase awareness in combat and non-combat situations (Ex: Spotting a moon base for landing or an incoming space ship to either prepare yourself or avoid a collision).

Edited by NotAnAimbot

20 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Question for @ScriptKitt3h, can spaceships have radars or any other non-combat BDA parts? I'm thinking about said radars and FLIR cameras, but not autopilot or the missile guidance system since they can be used offensively.

My reasoning behind this is that they can only be used passively to increase awareness in combat and non-combat situations (Ex: Spotting a moon base for landing or an incoming space ship to either prepare yourself or avoid a collision).

As far as I know, no. Based off @HatBat's rules, BDA may only be utilized on surface vessels, with the only potential exception I could think of being a combat SSTO/spaceplane or something along those lines. However, that does bring up an interesting point that it may indeed be very useful to add some comms systems (antenna(s)/relay(s)) to warships now, since KSP now features a fully-fleshed-out comms framework.

There is a precedent for BDA parts on spacefaring vessels - the GMI SSTO that defected a few episodes back had bombs/guns, plus the Duna-based tanks a few before that. That said, HatBat can utilize "scanners" by simply saying "we detected x, y, and z on our scanners" rather than requiring non-stock parts to be added. 

Also, my D-51 has a medium ore scanner that stands in for radar if he wants a cinematic shot. I don't see the need for breaking the "all-stock" rule for something that can be circumvented with narraration and suspension of disbelief.

Edited by Servo

(Sorry for the double post, but this adds something new, so I hope it's OK)

I finished my test on my Modular Colonization System (MCS), and it is ready for release. No KerbalX this time (because it's 15 different craft files + one that has them all), but here it is:

Album: http://imgur.com/a/QTRrp

0zH1g6d.png

The base setup is modular and expandable, and can easily support warships through refueling practices. It also has a large garrison (8 crew, easily expandable to 20+), and features ports for defensive weapons (I don't have BDA downloaded, so this is pure stock). Assembly is a little tedious, but the end result is a unique and modular base with a lot of functionality.

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2u2unjul9k8ljr/Modular Colonization System.zip?dl=0

(I will be editing my post on the submissions thread, too)

3 hours ago, Spearka said:

Made and submitted my first station on the Submission thread, hope you guys like it

Does it wobble? I'm not sure KSP likes this size of building without struts.

Otherwise, looks nice. Interesting to see how it's going to be used as a planet bombardment weapon.

14 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Does it wobble? I'm not sure KSP likes this size of building without struts.

Otherwise, looks nice. Interesting to see how it's going to be used as a planet bombardment weapon.

there are struts, many struts; mainly to keep the whole thing together and it keeps together quite well

On 1/9/2017 at 1:27 PM, ScriptKitt3h said:

Along the lines of bases, we're looking for some strategic-level surface bases and orbital defense stations - it'd be wonderful to see some get submitted, and will help greatly in the series' production.

Additionally, the rules have been updated, simply to remind everyone to please let us know on this discussion thread when you add/update your submissions in your submission thread post.

Well i think ill be making my sub soon, i have a few (like 4) new (and some old) ships im fairly happy with, a few star fighters and SSTOs, and im also working on updating an orbital defense cannon i had in 0.25 or whatever version was out before they added mk2 parts (at least the porkjet ones) since it looks like you are looking for some actual ground stuff.

t4oG2O7.png

My latest one is actually quite good, ive finally managed to pull off workeable armor protection while keeping it under 250 parts!  Still dies to anything that is designed to kill capitral ships (rt-5s, multiple long ibeams, pretty much every heavy 1.2m torp), but its like invulnurable to every single fighter weapon, i emptied 30 drones (rcs powered anti-fighter missiles) into this thing and it didnt loose any critical components...

8qIdC1b.png

Btw, is @HatBat at all interested in stock vehicles like tanks and apcs/transports?  I have a crapload of stock tanks laying around, and id be glad to submit a few of the good ones as well provided there is any use for them in the series (as in 100% stock weapons onboard, no BDA or other weapon mods).

Y34ge5w.png

Edited by panzer1b

On 1/11/2017 at 5:13 PM, Spearka said:

there are struts, many struts; mainly to keep the whole thing together and it keeps together quite well

Autostruts are just as effective, and won't ramp up you part count into the 1K range.

3 hours ago, Servo said:

Autostruts are just as effective, and won't ramp up you part count into the 1K range.

it's  not that strut intensive even if it does need them, it's more above 1K because of its complexity and weapons

Edited by Spearka

3 hours ago, Servo said:

Autostruts, as nice as they are to aleviate bugs and help after you docked something together, should not be used to build craft with since they can actually lower your armor protection when used any more then sparingly (as in less then 10 autostrutted parts total on a craft).  No idea why, but using too many just ruins armor protection and causes its share of issues kraken wise.  All in all, if part count even permits, proper use of regular struts offers the best armor protection, and given how lousy even the best armor is in 1.1 and 1.2, warships need every bit of performance you can get out of it.

2 hours ago, Spearka said:

it's  not that strut intensive even IfIf it does need them, it's more above 1K because of its complexity and weapons

While i understand the desire to put so many weapons on something, do you REALLY need 66 bloody missiles on a single space station?  Not that im trying to tell anyone how to design their stuff, but there is a point where the sheer number of weapons is so overkill you will never actually be able to use them before your ship is destroyed 10 times over and or all 20 enemy warships are history.  I actually downloaded ur station just to take a look, and you have 738 parts in weapons alone, without which your station is alot less laggfesty. 

Personally for stations i dont really arm them that well, with around 2-6 0.6m missiles mostly for anti-fighter defense, but thats probably because i never saw stations as intended to participate in any sort of large scale combat, with the only possible exception to the rule being an asteroid base which is armed with a super heavy torpedo battery (in universe reason for that was that the asteroid "base" is like the equivalent of the pirate's homeworld since they dont own any territory on an actual planet, and for defending a homeworkd you kinda need to have at least 1 orbital cannon along with lots of smaller weapons too).  Same with dedicated carriers actually, very few of them have more then a handful of point defense cannons since they arent really intended to perform combat outside of dire situations (a complete lack of armor tends to make the concept of slugging it out with anyone kinda stupid from a tactical perspective).  Only assault carriers have real weapons, but even those are still no match for an actual capital ship 1 v 1.

{GMI} GR17 UMAP Panther J-404 

The GR17 Panther is the 3rd edition of the UMAP, or the Ultra Maneuvrable Aircraft Program. It is designed to be a medium-ranged distanced combat & radar ship, whilst having other many features. The GR17 has forward swept wings to prevent wing-tipped turbulence and vortexes when it does a 0-9g Cobra Inverted stunt. It is fully stock, but BDArmoury capable.

• Parts: 65
  • Mass: 11.965t
  • Height: 2.9m
  • Length: 12.7m
  • Width: 7.7m

Features:
- Under wings, two thermalelectric generators used as turret decoys, a good spot to place a .50 turret or something else.
- Raised cockpit for extra torgue and sight. It also looks badass. To add it has a great compartment for snacks incase any kerbal is feeling peckish during a particually dangerous mission.
- Two afterburning turbofan engines that endure more strength and power into a dogfight.

Action groups:
1 - toggle J-414 engine from Wet to Dry modes.

Aircraft for GMI military uses only.

Because images won't work, please go to this Imgur link to see album of J-414 images.

http://imgur.com/a/ioAmh

Thanks!

Edited by notasgood
Extra information to be added

On 1/14/2017 at 2:32 PM, notasgood said:

-Snip-

First off, I don't see a download link, but you also failed to post the submission in the correct thread (for submissions), which is here:

Additionally, while albums are great for showing craft pics, would you mind providing some in your post itself? It really helps with going through submissions more quickly.

So, about that orbital cannon i ressurected from like 0.25 or whatever update was before the mk2 parts, although with mk2 parts the cannon mount was redone with a better looking vessel...

WRH859R.png

hEw4Edh.png

HfFsD5C.png

What do you guys think, its fully stock, comes with 8 medium grade (wont 1 shot properly armored vessels but it will kill anything without a heavily reinforced core in a single hit) missiles (yeah its not a true "cannon" but its virtually impossible to actually hit something in orbit from the ground with any real cannon styled weapon so i had to settle for it firing missiles into orbit).

Now to make a few more things over the weekend and ill post all my space warfare junk in the other thread...

Did a quick test with @Mobius's Vikus and my ICV-2 on the damage of 12.7mm guns. I set the two at about 800m separation and engaged guard mode. Here are the pics:

Spoiler

gEA4LGV.png

EFvKrPn.png

Ksp79wo.png

XgXjSX9.png

LoV8Axi.png

From what I've seen,  the new damage system is working fine. As you can see in the first pic before the rear of the ICV-2 exploded, the 4-5 thick front plate was doing fine catching 12.7mm rounds, and, in the Vikus pics, the thin first plate was destroyed very early in the fight. However, the splash damage seems to be ridiculously high and causing most kills. What caused the explosion was some rounds getting behind the tank and hitting the ground there, making the weak sides and rear explode. I've also noticed this happens to the top of the tank whenever a round exploded near it, and you can see in the first pics that the top plate of the ICV-2 is missing.

I don't think we need to change the damage itself, but rather splash damage created by most gun rounds. That could fix the problem greatly.

9 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

I don't think we need to change the damage itself, but rather splash damage created by most gun rounds. That could fix the problem greatly.

That's basically what I have been able to find. Most cases where vehicles are destroyed, the splash damage of round "flows" around armor and destroys weaker components behind it. It is the reason that thin composite armor designs fail to work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.