[0.24.2] Interstellar Lite - Tweakscale Integration [v0.12.3][Sept 7]

WaveFunctionP

Wait, the big bold text warning that the IR telescope isn't fixed has gone and there's references in the bug tracker that make it sound like it current works, but I don't see anything in the patch notes: can someone clarify for me? Thanks chaps.

Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with the seismic sensor, I want to be able to remove the impact data so that I can use the sensor again, I'd also kind of like to keep the stock 'log seismic data' option too. I've had a bit of a look around and have tried to edit the cfg file. I've restored the stock functionality, but I still can't remove the impact data.

here is my interstellar cfg file for the part:

@PART[sensorAccelerometer]

{

MODULE

{

name = FNSeismicProbe

experimentID = FNSeismicProbeExperiment

rerunnable = true

deployEventName = Collect Impact Data

reviewEventName = Review Impact Data

resetEventName = Reset Impact Data

dataIsCollectable = True

collectActionName = Take Data

interactionRange = 1.2

}

}

Any clues?

Wait, the big bold text warning that the IR telescope isn't fixed has gone and there's references in the bug tracker that make it sound like it current works, but I don't see anything in the patch notes: can someone clarify for me? Thanks chaps.

Nope. It is still infested with the kracken.

Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with the seismic sensor, I want to be able to remove the impact data so that I can use the sensor again, I'd also kind of like to keep the stock 'log seismic data' option too. I've had a bit of a look around and have tried to edit the cfg file. I've restored the stock functionality, but I still can't remove the impact data.

here is my interstellar cfg file for the part:

@PART[sensorAccelerometer]

{

MODULE

{

name = FNSeismicProbe

experimentID = FNSeismicProbeExperiment

rerunnable = true

deployEventName = Collect Impact Data

reviewEventName = Review Impact Data

resetEventName = Reset Impact Data

dataIsCollectable = True

interactionRange = 1.2

}

}

Any clues?

The delete the science.cfg or all the text in it if you do not want to ever do the impact experiment.

The delete the science.cfg or all the text in it if you do not want to ever do the impact experiment.

I do want to do the impact experiment, I'd just like to then be able to take the data from the sensor and put it into the command pod so I can move to another biome and repeat the experiment. without having to put 1 sensor on for each biome I plan to visit or returning the whole thing to KSP.

by removing this line from the original cfg file I've restored all the stock functionality (log seismic data):

!MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment]

but even after inserting the following:

dataIsCollectable = True

interactionRange = 1.2

I still can't collect the data.

I do want to do the impact experiment, I'd just like to then be able to take the data from the sensor and put it into the command pod so I can move to another biome and repeat the experiment. without having to put 1 sensor on for each biome I plan to visit or returning the whole thing to KSP.

by removing this line from the original cfg file I've restored all the stock functionality (log seismic data):

dataIsCollectable = True

interactionRange = 1.2

The impact experiment doesn't use the stock science module functionality. Those configurations have no meaning to the module. I don't believe that you receive less data by transmitting the impact experiment. Though it does take a healthy amount of power to transmit the data.

Nope. It is still infested with the kracken.

Is it because you wanted to send it so far out? Something somewhere is going to run into trouble at those distances. If you are still close to the zero point in space, then what about all those low orbit satellites around all those planets/moons you left behind. Something is far out and having a rough time calculating positions especially at higher time compressions.

Is it because you wanted to send it so far out? Something somewhere is going to run into trouble at those distances. If you are still close to the zero point in space, then what about all those low orbit satellites around all those planets/moons you left behind. Something is far out and having a rough time calculating positions especially at higher time compressions.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

There are several different bugs related to the telescope. And overall, it is not a very fun experiment. It is due for a redesign, but I have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

That's unfortunate that you don't understand what I'm talking about.

The way KSP represents position is in floating point math. As you increase a number in floating point, the mantissa grows larger and larger. This leaves less room for the remainder portion of the number. Now when you're doing serious math on those numbers like adjusting where something is suppose to be or be going, and you don't have much remainder portion left in your number calculations, things get a lot less accurate. Which is where the kraken bug you speak of is coming from. It has also been determined that the kraken bug (math inaccuracies) occurs more at 750m/s than any other speed (discovered so far).

So, when you say, send out the telescope to 967 AU (or whatever that figure is) that is a long way from where everything else is. This also means that high time compression is going to have to be used. And this also means that either the probe is getting less remainder portion in its positional numbers for calculation or the other stuff you left behind isn't getting them. When you "are the craft" that craft is at 0 position in space. So other things that are not close to you are at far positions in space. So, you can either time accelerate at objects around Kerbin/Earth or "be the probe" and accelerate there. But something is going to catch hell once the distances of 967 AU get realized. Especially if you play in RSS.

The impact experiment doesn't use the stock science module functionality. Those configurations have no meaning to the module. I don't believe that you receive less data by transmitting the impact experiment. Though it does take a healthy amount of power to transmit the data.

Well that makes sense. Thanks so much for the response and the for continuing on with this awesome mod!

First, thanks for taking on this project, been a favorite of mine for a while and I'm glad to see it getting updated. Second, I'm having a problem with things related to waste heat - specifically, waste heat does not seem to be accumulating, and my radiators won't deploy either. Where should I go about looking first?

First, thanks for taking on this project, been a favorite of mine for a while and I'm glad to see it getting updated. Second, I'm having a problem with things related to waste heat - specifically, waste heat does not seem to be accumulating, and my radiators won't deploy either. Where should I go about looking first?

Sounds like an incorrect installation. Be sure to delete all of the original folders associated with KSPi. Sounds like ORS specifically.

I spent some time and figured out what caused this myself, You have an older version of OpenResourceSystems DLL in your gamedata folder. the latest version of KSPi-Lite requires version 1.2.1 (and only that version) in the OpenResources folder. This, on it's own makes KSPi-Lite work. But it also breaks all the drills in USI. After some back and forth with rover, we found that if you put the ORS V1.2.0 DLL in your USI folder, you can get USI working again, and still have KSPI Functioning as intended. Rover plans on changing his packs with the next release to fix this. (he also has me switch over to a hotfix ORSExtensions.dll from his dropbox. but this was when he was trying to get the new DLL to play nice with the old one in the ORS folder. If moving the old one to USI folder doesn't work, go try adding it Link)

So the break down:

1.) go to GameData\OpenResourceSystem\Plugin\ and remove all OpenResourceSystem_*_*_*.DLLs except 1_2_1

2.) Go to your GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\ and copy (from your latest roverdude pack) OpenResourceSystem_1_2_0.dll into this folder.

3.) If your still having problems go HERE and get the HOTFIX ORSExtensions.dll and copy it over (overwrite) the existing file at GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\

If you want to follow the Issue I posted at Roverdudes Github about all this, it can be found HERE (I was honestly expecting just a recompile against the new ORS version, but got this instead for now)

Edit: And i get Ninja'd by the dude himself as i am working this up. go figure.:)

Thank you very much! With your help I managed to fix this problem. Finally I can play with those awesome mod parts!

Thanks to WaveFunctionP for the continuation of this mod.

Wave - I made your part, with animation, for the seismic experiment. It's in my dropbox under 'Part for Wave'. CC 4.0 Attrib SA NC. Enjoy!

(Note: Config is VERY rough, and you will need to code to have the animation cycle. I just included a moduleanimategeneric so you could see it and copy the name)

The way KSP represents position is in floating point math. As you increase a number in floating point, the mantissa grows larger and larger. This leaves less room for the remainder portion of the number. Now when you're doing serious math on those numbers like adjusting where something is suppose to be or be going, and you don't have much remainder portion left in your number calculations, things get a lot less accurate. Which is where the kraken bug you speak of is coming from. It has also been determined that the kraken bug (math inaccuracies) occurs more at 750m/s than any other speed (discovered so far).

So, when you say, send out the telescope to 967 AU (or whatever that figure is) that is a long way from where everything else is. This also means that high time compression is going to have to be used. And this also means that either the probe is getting less remainder portion in its positional numbers for calculation or the other stuff you left behind isn't getting them. When you "are the craft" that craft is at 0 position in space. So other things that are not close to you are at far positions in space. So, you can either time accelerate at objects around Kerbin/Earth or "be the probe" and accelerate there. But something is going to catch hell once the distances of 967 AU get realized. Especially if you play in RSS.

I dont think you understard that WaveFunctionP did not create KSP Interstellar, he is keeping it alive. He did not create the telescope, but he may revamp it at some time but he is busy with other things.

PS I removed Interstellar weeks ago to play with other mods :/

Hi guys.

Hi WaveFunctionP. Thanks to you for updating KSPI. One of my favourite mods.

One of the things I have always wanted in KSPI, is to use the KSPI science lab instead of the stock science lab for cleaning out experiments.

The KSPI science lab looks a whole lot better imho. As well as providing other functionality, and an IVA.

Anyway, I tried adding the functionality with modulemanager, but ran afoul of the ordering requirement for the "cleaning out experiment" module.

I had to edit the cfg in KSPI directly, and re-order the modules a bit to get it to work.

I now have a working KSPI science lab with added "experiment cleaning" facilities.

In case anyone else has ever thought of needing this, the cfg for my KSPI science lab is below.

P.S. I hope it is alright to share this. If it is not, I will remove.

PART
{
name = scienceModule
module = Part
author = Fractal
///model by z
mesh = sci_model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1
node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.7602737, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.7501, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
CrewCapacity = 2
INTERNAL
{
name = crewtestInternals
}
TechRequired = advScienceTech
entryCost = 11000
cost = 4000
category = Science
subcategory = 0
title = Science Laboratory
manufacturer = Zefram Kerman's Warp Supplies Co.
description = The science laboratory, a location for Kerbals to contemplate novel and innovative approaches to blowing things up. Can generate a small ammount of science per day depending on location, reprocess nuclear waste, generate antimatter (inefficiently) and extract deuterium from oceans. It also has a internal light switch, which is fun AND useful.
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0
mass = 2.5
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.3
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 6
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 2900
vesselType = Ship
MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceContainer

reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
storeActionName = Store Experiments
evaOnlyStorage = True
storageRange = 2
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceLab

containerModuleIndex = 0
dataTransmissionBoost = 1.5
crewsRequired = 2

canResetConnectedModules = True
canResetNearbyModules = True
interactionRange = 5

RESOURCE_PROCESS
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 10
}
}
MODULE
{
name = ScienceModule
animName1 = sci1
animName2 = sci2
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = light
startEventGUIName = Lights ON
endEventGUIName = Lights OFF
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceExperiment

experimentID = crewReport

experimentActionName = Crew Report
resetActionName = Discard Crew Report
reviewActionName = Review Report

useStaging = False
useActionGroups = True
hideUIwhenUnavailable = True
rerunnable = True

xmitDataScalar = 1.0
}

}

Wave - I made your part, with animation, for the seismic experiment. It's in my dropbox under 'Part for Wave'. CC 4.0 Attrib SA NC. Enjoy!

(Note: Config is VERY rough, and you will need to code to have the animation cycle. I just included a moduleanimategeneric so you could see it and copy the name)

Wow, that is exactly what I was looking for. :)

There are several different bugs related to the telescope. And overall, it is not a very fun experiment. It is due for a redesign, but I have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

i'm just going to put This Right Here, in the inbox marked "mods what need a home" and put a cross reference card in the boxes marked "CreativeCommons 4.0" and "interesting things to do with a telescope"

That is precisely why KSP uses a local reference frame for loaded objects.

As for objects on rails, their motion is determined by a time-dependent function, and will be unaffected.

dataIsCollectable = True

interactionRange = 1.2

Unless there has been major changes in the way it operates since FraktalUK put it in KSPI originally, the impact experiment does not work the way you think. Biomes are meaningless to it. You basically land several landers, ideally 6 to maximize the science value, on the planet. One near each pole, and 4 equally distant from each other along the equator and then start crashing things into the planet. You can repeat it but after a few the science goes to nothing and you have to transmit the data after each impact. There's no data loss in transmitting but it takes *a lot* of electric charge power to do it, so I recommend putting several batteries and RTGs on the landers if you cant go nuclear with them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.