[0.24.2] Interstellar Lite - Tweakscale Integration [v0.12.3][Sept 7]

WaveFunctionP

I think it's time!

Interstellar Lite is a derivative of the KSP Interstellar, originally developed by Fractal UK. This version was developed, in part, by me, WaveFunctionP, not FractalUK. Do not blame him for broken stuff. (Assuming you can find him. :P)

Code

https://github.com/WaveFunctionP/KSPInterstellar

Download

https://github.com/WaveFunctionP/KSPInterstellar/releases

Warning: You will likely break any KSPI vessels on existing saves. It is not backward compatible with KSPI 0.11.

Installation

1. Delete any and all older versions of Interstellar. All of the files and folders. Nuke it. Seriously. All of it.

2. Install all of the files and folders inside of the .zip's gamedata folder into your gamedata folder. All of it. (Even that bit you don't think you need.)

3. Profi.....err, play the game! :P

Install/Troubleshooting video: http://www.twitch.tv/m/621444

Tweakscale Integration

Most parts will scale from .625m to 5m! The appropriate values are automatically adjusted for the new size. The mod includes a modified version of tweakscale which only includes configs for Interstellar and stock parts. If you have other parts you want to tweak, you will need to download the full version of tweakscale from the mod's author.

The current FULL version of tweakscale contains configurations for interstellar modules. You will need to manually remove those settings until it is updated and those files are removed. There is a configuration file called warp_tweakscale.cfg and more settings located in scaleexponents in the tweakscale download. Delete all scaleexponents from solarsail to fnfusionreactor. Or wait until tweakscale is updated to remove those settings if you do not know how to do this. Yes, I know it sucks, but it is a temporary transition period.

Part Pruning

Many parts were removed. The intent is to bring them back when/if they have a strong role. Many models have been removed as part of the tweakscale integration, they may find their way back eventually given a interesting use.

Part Rebalance

Scaling was out of control. Parts now have much more stock like behavior to fit within the confines of the kerbal sized universe. The focus was a on fun and interesting choices.

Bigger reactors have more thrust, smaller have more ISP. Higher tier reactors can be better, because of higher energy density, but have rarer resources. (Resource revamp is not done yet. Costs are placeholder.)

There are three "tiers" of reactors now:

Output: 2GW

P/W: 2 ton/GW

Fission: 1066 kN, 848 isp

Particle Fission: 1508 kN, 600 isp

Output: 4GW

P/W: 1 ton/GW

Fusion: 1508 kN, 1200 isp

Antimatter Initiated Fusion: 2132 kN, 848 isp

Output: 8GW

P/W: .5 ton/GW

Antimatter: 3016 kN, 1200 isp

*All values are for the 2.5m size reactors

Radiators were buffed, especially radial radiators.

Huge and Inline versions were removed due to weak art.

Radiators now glow according to waste heat accumulation. (Thank Mellon85.)

Feature Pruning

Many upgrade mechanics were removed to reduce scaling and confusion. Most extra modes were removed from parts to reduce confusion as well.

This is affects reactors, radiators and generators as thier upgrades were simple stat inflation.

Only interesting upgrades/modes were kept like thermal turbojet's lfo mode or plasma's quantum vacuum mode.

Resource Compatibility

Many resources have changed to improve compatibility. The mod supports CommunityResourcePack. Expect much more tight integration with resource/life support/logistic mods in the future. This was the first step. The VAB has tweakable fuel resources with preliminary costs. (Not all that balanced.)

Polish!, Polish!, Polish!

A great deal of focus was spent on player messaging. Many tooltips, descriptions and buttons are improved over stock KSPI. Many of the weaker models were removed or replaced with better art. Many bug fixes.

Interstellar Lite v0.12.3
- Fixed fission reactor refueling.
- Fixed uranium reprocessing.
- Buffed water extraction rates on the refinery to address mismatched scales for MKS style water maps. (temporary workaround until a code fix can be implimented, should fix existing vessels)
- Updated B9 configs. (Taverius)
- CommunityResourcePack v1.2
- ModuleManager v2.3.4
- OpenResourceSystem v1.2.1

Interstellar Lite v0.12.2
- Fixed powercap scaling for electricengines. (Existing parts may not be affected.)
- Removed redundant base scaleexponent configs from interstellar_tweakscale.cfg
- Fixed MM patch. (It works for reals this time!) (realgrep)
- Remove unused and broken radioactivedecay modules from some part files.

Interstellar Lite v0.12.1
- Fixed tech tree configuration
- Cleared treeloader part tech overrides for compatibility
- Move tech requirements to the appropriate parts
- Fixed minor part config errors
- MM provided for backwards vessel compatibility. (Copy your save just in case.)

Experimental Version 0.12.0 - for ksp v0.24.2
Radiators now glow red hot in proportion to temperature. (mellon85)
Tweakscale integration (Some of the models have been removed in the process.)
Reactor rebalance (basic fission is more capable, antimatter less so)
Radiators have been buffed. (Flat and inline radiator have decided to retire to the ugly duckling pond.)
Water is now Water. (Who'da thunk it!)
Precoolers work again! (They are basically a "free" intake now.)
Science Mode is now supported. (By the KSPI code, Treeloader still doesn't work though.)
Fission and Pfission now both use general EnrichedUranium and DepletedUranium resources. (For compatibility.)
EnrichedUranium can be mined with the Refinery.
Corrected power consumption of generators. (rakkhin)
Corrected behavior of Microwave transmitters. (rakkhin)
Improved he-3 decay tracking. (mellon85)
Fixed an issue with Vista and MW throttling. (maybe.)
Many many tooltips have been decluttered.
Thermal Turbojets will now disable themselves before critical overheating occurs.
Plasma Thrusters now have thrust vectoring.
Science lab now has a science container and can do crew reports.
Support for CommunityResourcePack.
ORS v 1.2.0
Fuel resources are now tweakable in the VAB.
Initial resource cost implementation. (Better balance will come in a later version.)

Known issues and bug tracker:

What's next?

Resource revamp and code work:

The next update will focus on resources, mod compatibility and integration. I will be working to make a much improved experience with logistical/tech mods like MKS/OKS, TAC, Karbonite, Near Future, RealFuels, etc. Provide more part file tweakables for modification with things like RSS, big kerbin, classic style kspi, etc.. Basically open up the mod to conventional part modification which should improve compatibility significantly. I don't anticipate another part breaking update, but I make no promises.

Basicly:

k4WapRi.jpg

When is the next update?

I just got done with this one!!!!! :P

I'm so happy that my wallet fell open! What do I do?

Third party tweaks: (Maintained by their respective authors)(read: go to them for issues.)

NASA IXS class warship by Steve_D: Based on the NASA warp capable concept vessel.

Experienced Tech: Takes the Stock Concepts you've already mastered and gives you the parts to put that knowledge to use sooner.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Very nice! I never used intersteller because it seem to cluttered, complicated, and so sci-fi it's almost fictional, but with some balance and simplification you may well get me to download it yet! Good job, can't wait to see where you take this ;D

Is there an alternate download? Im having trouble downloading from git

Also, thank you very much for making this update! really glad you were able to pickup from where fractal left off :D

Edited by legopatch

Question about the tech tree:

I have my own parts cfg which makes a few changes to the tech required on some of the stock parts. But I see Interstellar uses treeloader, and it appears treeloader overwrites anything I do with my parts cfg. I tried editing the file "tree.cfg" that came with this, but that doesn't seem to work and is confusing anyway because I think treeloader grabs its information from somewhere online. Is there anyway to override treeloader? thanks

Question about the tech tree:

I have my own parts cfg which makes a few changes to the tech required on some of the stock parts. But I see Interstellar uses treeloader, and it appears treeloader overwrites anything I do with my parts cfg. I tried editing the file "tree.cfg" that came with this, but that doesn't seem to work and is confusing anyway because I think treeloader grabs its information from somewhere online. Is there anyway to override treeloader? thanks

Whether TreeLoader gets a tree.cfg from another mod's folder or its online repository, it always saves the active tree to saves/<YourSaveName>/tree.cfg. You can edit the tree.cfg in your save folder to move parts around.

Edited by undercoveryankee
Removed double-post.

Whether TreeLoader gets a tree.cfg from another mod's folder or its online repository, it always saves the active tree to saves/<YourSaveName>/tree.cfg. You can edit the tree.cfg in your save folder to move parts around.

- - - Updated - - -

That worked! Thank you, kind sir.

Thank you very much for some much needed updates and alterations to KSPI! You managed to enhance intuitivity while not (significantly) reducing diversity. Awesome. Especially the player feedback was frustratingly confusing in previous versions.

I liked the old reactor setup better. Reactors shouldn't be balanced purely around thrust and Isp, there is also electrical output, fuel cost, and mass to consider.

Edit: You nuked charged particles entirely? Ack!

Edit 2: Any chance of us getting a version without the reactor changes for those of us that run RSS?

Edited by Thorbane

I had a few ships with radiators or gamma-ray spectrometers from 0.11 that I didn't want to lose. Here's my config to put versions of the new parts under the old names that I had in flight.

$PART[RadialRadiator]
{
@name = RadialRadiatorzzz2
@rescaleFactor = 1
@techRequired = Hidden
@category = -1
@mass /= 8
@MODULE[FNRadiator]
{
@radiatorArea /= 8
}
!MODULE[TweakScale] {}
}

$PART[DeployableRadiator]
{
@name = radiator0
@techRequired = Hidden
@category = -1
!MODULE[TweakScale] {}
}

$PART[GammaRaySpectrometer]
{
@name = sensorGammaRaySpectrometer
@techRequired = Hidden
@category = -1
}

@Brucey Answer regarding Treeloader - No. Best you can do is rename the tree.cfg in your savegame folder to tree.cfg.bak or something other than a file with a .cfg extension (or zipping it up / deleting it in that order) then creating a file called notree.cfg That will give you your stock tree back with your part edits intact. However you will lose any progression with regards to technology unlocking with the Interstellar parts (indeed some won't even show up like the fusion / antimatter reactors and warp drives).

Otherwise you can edit the tree.cfg and change/add your parts in the nodes in that file. (Basically doubling the work you've already done to the part configs as treeloader does override part configs with regards to tech tree placement). You'll want to search for the stock nodes themselves (i.e. advUnmanned) and snag the part name itself (i.e. mk1pod [from the name= field]). It's a simple copy/paste into the tree; but can be time-consuming if you changed a bunch of parts around.

So seeing as I just accidentally quick loaded my game back to the start of career mode, doh! I might as well try this.

If I'm right this is interstellar mod but more vanilla feel friendly and less realistic? I never got to the point where interstellar was viable option so still newbie on this

Edited by rentaspoon

@rentaspoon Feels that way from what I've tested. All the reactors have a use now however unrealistic they may be. Still quite a lot of fun :D (And not sure if I prefer this yet over the old one; I keep looking at the particle bed reactors saying "yep" then looking at the fusion reactors saying "nope" lol)

I noticed that you AtmosphericScoop.cfg has " name = Atmospheric Scoop" I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a space there, none of the other part names have a space. It's probably no big deal, I just figured I would let ya know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.