GATOR's Build-a-Base Workshop

gGATORr

Hello fellow KSP-ers!

It seems I have finally slipped the surly bonds of earth... I mean, Kerbin! Having been exclusively and utterly engrossed in atmospheric aircraft building, I have completely shifted gears in order to bring to you something that I have wanted since the beginning of my KSP experience: hollow, more interactive pieces with which to build space stations and orbital bases.

So, without further ado, I present to you a pack of base module subassemblies that fit together easily to create beautiful and interactive space stations for your Kerbals to explore! This first pack, The Basic Building Pack, contains basic structural and necessary modules in order to have an operational and extraordinary space base.

Cmc53bB.png

avK1oKe.png

LtESn0j.png

3fNgZi2.png

vSVpJ75.png

This pack includes:

-90 degree corner

-60 degree corner

-45 degree corner

-30 degree corner

-endcap

-powerplant endcap

-viewport endcap

-2m hallway

-4m hallway

-8m hallway

-12m hallway

-12m hallway w/ living compartments

-hangar

-3way 60 degree intersection

-4way 90 degree intersection

-5way 90 degree intersection

-6way 90 degree intersection

-6way 120 degree intersection

-"T" intersection (connects at bottom of "T")

-alternative "T" intersection (connects at one of the sides of the "T")

Now, if you enjoy creating and exploring awesome space stations with these parts as much as I do, you won't be content with just the Basic Building Pack. But don't worry, more parts are on the way! The Practicality Part Pack is nearly finished and will be released later this week. After that, I will try to put out a part pack weekly or biweekly if it's something that the community wants. So if you like what I'm doing here, let me know, and I will be happy to give you more parts to play with!

HOW TO USE

---------------

Step 1: Download and Install

First, download at this link. Next, unzip, and drag files into your ksp>saves>(the name of your saved game)>subassemblies folder. You now have the tools to create awesomeness!

Step 2: Build the Base

To build a station using these subassemblies, first start with a horizontal 2x2 structural panel (I recommend building in the SPH). Then, turn off angle snap (or it will be very difficult and imprecise)! Next, select your first station piece from the subassemblies menu and hover it on the center of one of the thin edges of the 2x2 panel. Rotate it so that it completely covers up, or 'engulfs', the original 2x2 panel. It should now look like all you have is your first station piece. From here on, just grab station pieces and attach them to the edges of other pieces, and orient them to your liking! Remember, these pieces are octagonal, so if you can't get the module oriented the way you want it, try attaching it one of the seven other edges. It's easy to get the hang of, and, before long, you will be building amazing and fun orbital bases!

Step 3: Launch the Base

Once you've completed building your base, simply press the launch button and look away. 'Cause it gets ugly! In order to reduce part count, I don't reinforce any of these parts (you don't need reinforcement once your in space). Therefore, when you initially launch your base, it buckles, bends, flexes, and basically looks like it's falling apart. However, because the modules are composed of mostly structural parts, there shouldn't be any breakage or destruction. Just wait for the movement to die down enough to quick save. Once you've quick saved, simply edit the quick save file to put your space station in the desired orbit (Scott Manley has a great

on this), and voila! You have an interactive masterpiece orbiting little ol' Kerbin!

---------------

I hope you all enjoy using these parts as much as I do! Please, give me feedback if you like it or dislike it, or if you have suggestions for new parts, or have a problem or question about the existing parts! And, please, share your creations!

GATOR

Edited by gGATORr
more details

Unfortunately, this idea doesn't seem very popular, so I'll just share the rest of the modules I have, and be done with this project.

So here you go: The Practicality Pack

This pack includes:

- hallway powerplant

- hallway powerplant (reduced part count)

- endcap powerplant (reduced part count)

- 4m hallway w/ living compartments

- fuel storage module

- airlock

- hangar w/ airlock

- command center

- escape pod

airlock:

closedNH0vdWYl.png

openQcD0hBOl.png

command center

empty (w/ escape pods in background)CwfCluGl.png

mannedUt8VnC7l.png

escape pod

jZEtEaDl.png

sample base

BgvU1ODl.png

Hopefully a couple people enjoyed this! I sure had a lot of fun making it and playing with it! I doubt I'll ever settle for a regular boring space station again. Anyway I think it's time I returned to Kerbin's atmosphere...

GATOR

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.