[1.x+] Community Resource Pack

RoverDude

New Release is up.  NOTE:  This is the final 1.3.1 release (pending any major issues).   

0.8.1 - 2017.03.06
------------------
Fixed an issue with Chinese localization that was causing the game to hang during load.  Thanks to everyone that helped with this!
Added Russian translations (Thanks doktorjet)
Corrected density of Silicates/Silicon (Note that while cost/volume are the same, the resources are now ten times heavier)

On 2018/2/13 at 5:27 PM, RoverDude said:

Which language are you using?  We have a fix for Chinese, but would be good to know if any others are being sketchy

Thank you very much for your team
I have downloaded the latest version of the resource package, and

Keep up the good work!

11 minutes ago, John-YL said:

Thank you very much for your team
I have downloaded the latest version of the resource package, and

Keep up the good work!

Thank the people who brought the pull requests in to fix this :)  

22 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Thank the people who brought the pull requests in to fix this :)  

A small problem needs to be noticed, the new CRP v0.8.1.0 will be stuck when unzipped with a Chinese common decompression software.
However, I could use window explorer to extract files without problems.

Edited by John-YL

7 hours ago, John-YL said:

A small problem needs to be noticed, the new CRP v0.8.1.0 will be stuck when unzipped with a Chinese common decompression software.
However, I could use window explorer to extract files without problems.

Perhaps its because it contains the letter N, which is now illegal in China to use. This is not a joke!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any luck with global exospheric resources?

I'm trying to make karborundum a global exospheric resource and didn't have any luck in testing this morning. The inputs I made were

Spoiler

GLOBAL_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = Karborundum

ResourceType = 3

Distribution

{

PresenceChance=100

MinAbundance=1

MaxAbundance=2

MinAltitude=.5

MaxAltitude=1.5

MinRange=.5

MaxRange=1

}

}

I'm changing numbers just to get a feel for where stuff should be at, so if my altitudes and ranges are way off I'm OK changing them. My highest atmosphere is in the 0.2 ish range, so anything over 0.3 will work.

I was able to make it a global crustal resource (resource type=0) and got it to display in ScanSat to verify that it was populating.

I also was not able to find the band around the sun, so its totally possible I'm doing something wrong here.

My next test will be to copy and paste the Karbonite planetary resource just above kerbin's atmosphere, but since that is a kerbin resource and not global, I'm not sure what I can learn from it.

I'm making karborundum global because I'm using the New Horizons planet pack, and while Eve + Eeloo would be good targets, I would enjoy the hunt more if it is a small random chance to appear anywhere. I'm on 1.3.0 because of New Horizons.

2 hours ago, finkellll said:

Has anyone had any luck with global exospheric resources?

I'm trying to make karborundum a global exospheric resource and didn't have any luck in testing this morning.

Check whether there is already a GLOBAL_RESOURCE entry for exospheric Karborundum. You may be conflicting with it.

Karbonite has a GLOBAL exo config already + many PLANETARY exo configs. PLANETARY overrides GLOBAL allowing for granular control of a resource distribution. Making the PresenceChance < 100 would help you to enjoy the hunt more. That would make it so it doesn't absolutely always appear everywhere but will still be likely to appear in many places and different places per new save.

Sun Karborundum should be around. You may not have gone close enough via HyperEdit or a legit Sun-dive to spot it.

Your abundance values for global exo Karborundum may be too high compared to Eve and Eeloo also, devaluing those planets as significant targets. I must warn you. Given the way the Karborundum engines are now, they become useless in thick atmosphere. If you plan to land on Eve or Titanus you may want to think about finding or making a patch for them.

19 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Making the PresenceChance < 100 would help you to enjoy the hunt more.

Sun Karborundum should be around. You may not have gone close enough via HyperEdit or a legit Sun-dive to spot it.

I agree about making it less than 100. I have it set to 100 now because I can't find any of it and wanted to make sure i was looking somewhere I would find it. Once I am happy I'll drop the percent to around 10 or 20. 

I think I'll do a sun dive to confirm, but I couldn't find it anywhere with hyperedit. (Sun radius /2 * minaltitude) correct?

Me being in a new planet pack shouldn't affect it, but I wouldn't be surprised. 

7 hours ago, finkellll said:

(Sun radius /2 * minaltitude) correct?

Nope. The value you set is computed into distance [in SemimajorAxis] = (value * half body radius) + body radius and should give you pretty generous fields of it as it is. I don't get why it fails.

Try adding Variance = 10 and Dispersal = 1 (maybe these are needed in order to function).

Helloooo @RoverDude ! I need some help with ultra-high altitude atmosphere intakes! The goal is to make a high altitude intake for a high altitude ion engine like the one Scott Manley talked about in one of his recent videos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srmtxK44YXk . The problem is I can't figure out what determines an intake's ability to suck in air at a given altitude. Alternatively, how do I reconfigure intakeAtm (or make my own resource) that is available all the way to the edge of space?

1 hour ago, Fireheart318 said:

Helloooo @RoverDude ! I need some help with ultra-high altitude atmosphere intakes! The goal is to make a high altitude intake for a high altitude ion engine like the one Scott Manley talked about in one of his recent videos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srmtxK44YXk . The problem is I can't figure out what determines an intake's ability to suck in air at a given altitude. Alternatively, how do I reconfigure intakeAtm (or make my own resource) that is available all the way to the edge of space?

Well technically you could do the same thing as in KSPI atmosphere intakes, which allows you to use your intakes even high above the atmosphere (if you don't limit minimum engine usage). The main purpose was for atmospheric scoops to operate above the atmosphere but with some tweaks it allows you  to operate atmospheric ion engine above the atmosphere.  You can find the code at Github.

Edited by FreeThinker

3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well technically you could do the same thing as in KSPI atmosphere intakes, which allows you to use your intakes even high above the atmosphere (if you don't limit minimum engine usage). The main purpose is atmospheric scoop to operate above the atmosphere but with some tweaks it allows you  to operate atmospheric ion engine above the atmosphere.  You can find the code at Github.

[Looks at code]

[Head explodes]

Umm... can I have a little help understanding what's going on there?

2 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

[Looks at code]

[Head explodes]

Umm... can I have a little help understanding what's going on there?

Well basically it generates addition intake resource depending on your speed,  altitude, air intake surface area and Angle of attack. This resource can then be used to run an engine on.

19 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Well basically it generates addition intake resource depending on your speed,  altitude, air intake surface area and Angle of attack. This resource can then be used to run an engine on.

Quick question - how do I edit the .cs file? I have no idea what I'm doing. Also, what do I edit?

Edited by Fireheart318

Quick question: Is Minmus supposed to have water in the surface? Every page I find on google mentions that Minmus has water, but when I scan I get a solid 0% throughout the entire surface

EDIT: Nevermind, I straight up had a bad seed. Check it out: 524413206 gives no water on Minmus

Edited by Kaitenuous

• 1 month later...

@RoverDude

If I look at https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/gas-density-d_158.html the density of Oxygen is 1.429 kg/m3 at STP.

If look here https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityResourcePack/blob/master/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/CommunityResourcePack/CommonResources.cfg#L371 the density of Oxygen is 0.00000141 kg/L, otherwise known as 0.00141 kg/m^3.

Why is there a factor 1000 decrease in density? I could understand some compression, but that should increase the density, not decrease it.

I see this for several gasses, also CO2 for example, factor 1000 differences. Even water.

Can someone explain what is going on here?

EDIT: cross-referencing wiki and stock resources suggests the unit of the config file is metric tonne per liter, is that true? (liquid fuel is on the wiki as 5 kg/L, but in the config file as 0.005)

Edited by Someone2018

• 1 month later...

Hi @roverdude

I love your work, but a couple mods won't load for some reason, USI Exploration Pack and USI Freight Technologies. When the game is loading, it hangs on these parts and will not complete. I have tried removing them and reloading one at a time, but no change. I am running USI Core, USI Tools, and USI Kolonization Systems with no problem. The game version is 1.4.4

Any help is appreciated.

Hegemony Cricket

UPDATE: Here's a little more info. It appears to be the ducted fan piece in both mods that is what it is hanging on. The hdd stops hitting, but it slowly continues to claim more RAM. I gave it six minutes to load, but didn't move past that point. After trying both individually, I tried clearing the CKAN cache, and downloading fresh copies. No change. Hope this helps.

UPDATE: Reinstalled. Problem resolved.

Edited by Omar X

• 1 month later...

Just to be clear on what it says is allowed here... the explanation says not to modify any of the downloaded configs, but if I made a mod that installed seperately and used ModuleManager to, for example, change the abundance of karbonite on specific planets, would that be an issue?

2 hours ago, fenderzilla said:

Just to be clear on what it says is allowed here... the explanation says not to modify any of the downloaded configs, but if I made a mod that installed seperately and used ModuleManager to, for example, change the abundance of karbonite on specific planets, would that be an issue?

You don't even need module manager for that...  resource distribution configs are additive.  It's more an issue when people mess with resource densities/costs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.