[1.x+] Community Resource Pack

RoverDude

I'll hunt down the link. Tho the config should already have comments noting curation. @nathankell - feel free to do some of mine while you're doing yours, I trust ya and it makes my job easier. I'll ping Nertea if he does not post here first.

I'm still waiting for that link

• 2 weeks later...

@sliter - you don't. They are intentionally different, since in the case of EL, MetalOre becomes Metal, which can create any rocket part with a single resource. In the USI mods (several of which use CRP), we use three resources to create three different raw materials. Hence why there is no overlap.

Oh... and 0.4.3 is up

Moved the Karborundum band around the sun out a bit.

Various HST configs

Fixed an issue with the cost of RocketParts

Finally an update. However I found the following in CommonResource.cfg

RESOURCE_DEFINITION

{

name = LqdHydrogen // General propellant, used for high thrust electric engines

density = 0.00007085000

unitCost = 0.0367500

hsp = 14305 // specific heat capacity (kJ/tonne-K as units) // recalc, mols are for H2 on wiki

vsp = 448500 // heat of vapourization (KJ/tonne as units) or 8.97 * 10^5 or 8.97E5?

flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH

transfer = PUMP

isTweakable = true

}

The specific heat capacity of 14305 is clearly wrong. This is the Specific Heat Capacity of Hydrogen at a temperature of about 300 K. Liquid Hydrogen has a Specific Heat Capacity which is much lower. which makes perfect sense as the hydrogen molecules are closer together in liquid state.

Note that several websites have listed it incorrectly, but the correct specific heat is 9690 kJ / ton according to this official document which is specifically about Liquild Hydrogen storage at Cryostatic storage temperatures! I made a pull request to correct this obvious mistake.

Another thing, it mentions the heat of vaporization, is this property supported by KSP?

Edited by FreeThinker

which makes perfect sense as the hydrogen molecules are closer together in liquid state.

It's actually cause the atoms in the molecules are so close to each other and can't move because the minimum energy involved under quantum physics is lower than what's available even for molecules with far above average individual kinetic energies. What you're talking about is latent heat, which isn't factored into the specific heat.

What's the changelog for 4.3?

So as an end user vs a modder I had a quick question. Is it worth updating CRP alone or should I wait for a mod to bundle the updated version. Specifically I am interested in the wider karborundum band around the Sun. Also will updating CRP change the band at all in my current save or do these get generated only when a save is first created?

Looks like this mod isn't compatible with RSS - Interstellar atmospheric scoop won't work, as names of planets were changed :P

You have that backwards. If RSS has plans to utilize this mod they would need to provide configs to define any resource distribution of custom planets.

Any issue with the Interstellar Atmospheric scoop is a KSPI issue, not a CRP issue.

That being said, If KSPI is using the stock resource system (which CRP supports) then there simply are not any hard-coded planet names (other than a few overrides that enhance the global configs). If they are using ORS still, then (given CRP has nothing to do with ORS anymore, and has not since before 1.0), you still have a KSPI issue.

CRP merely support a framework and definitions for support of mods that utilize the stock resource system (like the USI mods, NFT, etc.), and are planet agnostic (so that they work automatically with planet packs, etc.).

A mod I use bundles CRP but doesn't mess with non-stock ISRU resources (karbonite, substrate, etc.). Is there any way to turn those off for the resource overlay menu? It's pretty crowded in there with stuff I don't use. It's not a huge deal but I thought I'd ask.

Changelog is in the post ;)

Regarding any change to LqdHydrogen, that pull request has to come from the curator of that resource, so sort it out with them and ask them to change it ;)

I contacted Nertea (the curator of LqdHydrogen) and he has commented on the pull request I made

Edited by FreeThinker

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Helium 3, I seems to have made several mistakes

First of the density of Liquid Helium3 is 59 g/L not 178 g / L which is the density of Liquid Helium4

Secondly for the cost of Helium3, I seem to have confused the cost of Liquid Helium3 with cost of helium3 gas at Standard Temperature and Pressure (273.15 K and 1 atmosphere) . Wikipedia list Helium3 at $2000/L however it didn't mention if it was for Liquid Helium 3 or at STP. From other sources I now understand what is mend is STP. This means the LqdHe3 resource must be at least 460x more expansive !! k_embarrassed.gif Now couple this with the rising market cost of the current Helium 3 at the $5000/L (STP) and I finally understand why so many hospital complain about the excessive cost of this very rare resource. A litter of Liquid Hydrogen would cost at least $2.3 Million / Liter (excluding liquefaction cost).

Now that's something you not going to waste. But look at the bright side, we finally we have a good reason to start a mining colony on the moon!

Edited by FreeThinker

So the price of LqdHe3 needs to increase, however the current market prices might be too exccessive. Instead, I think Fractals original definition for Heliium 3 was quite good

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = LqdHe3
density = 0.000059
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = true
unitCost = 525.2
}

I have made a pull request

Edited by FreeThinker

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know how to interpret the settings for rescources found in interplanetary space, i.e. "ResourceType = 3"?

I guess I get the first 3, namely PresenceChance, MinAbundance and MaxAbundance, as these must be the percentages for randomizing if you can find it and how much. However, even when I set PresenceChance = 100 I find no rescources using Karbonite mod pack.

example from Karbonite.cfg

//Express all numbers as percentages 0.0-100.0, not 0.0-1.0!

GLOBAL_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = Karbonite

ResourceType = 3

Distribution

{

PresenceChance = 20

MinAbundance = .001

MaxAbundance = .5

MinAltitude = .2

MaxAltitude = 2

MinRange = .01

MaxRange = .5

}

}

So how do I interpret

MinAltitude = .2

MaxAltitude = 2

MinRange = .01

MaxRange = .5

Based on it saying that all numbers are percentages, I'm asking a percentage of what? Of SOI? I've tried putting a lot of different figures on it around kerbin, and searched from end of atmosphere to end of SOI finding nothing?! I have figured that if presence chance is below 100 I just might miss it, which i why I've tried with 100.

Basically I want to set a ring of a rescource around a planet which can then be harvested - but it is nice to know if I'm putting it in 100km orbit or 82000000km orbit :-)

Thanks for any help you can give me

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.