[1.x+] Community Resource Pack

RoverDude

1 hour ago, agrock said:

We could make DepletedFuel just be displayed (LOC translated) as "Depleted Uranium". It would not involve changing any configs except one LOC line. 

Well that would just be realy confusing to all existing player and future players because of it inaccuracy.

Edited by FreeThinker

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, PunkRockZoologist said:

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask, but what is a good mod that uses CRP with good atmospheric harvesting parts? Are there any in the Near Future mod packs?

What kinds of things are you looking to harvest, and for what uses?

• Karbonite supplies some, which harvest Karbonite, ArgonGas and XenonGas and work best while the craft is moving.
  • NF Propulsion has a harvester for ArgonGas and XenonGas which works best while landed and immobile.
  • FFT has a scoop for Helium, LH2 and Deuterium
  • Any others I know not of but it's easy to add support for resources to an existing harvester part, provided there are resource distribution configs to make it worth your while.

OMG!!!!!!!!!  I met same problem with OME on page 48, it took me 2 whole days trying to figure out wth happened until I found OME 's solution,i must say I  was so lucky. There are a lot of Chinese players might also met this annoying bug and felt desprate because they cant read Eng or ctrl+f page by page,also,most of us cant google. PLZ  update a new version with chinese localization deleted,so at least we can enter the KSP.

1 hour ago, DoctorJony5 said:

Hello. This mod really looks cool but i cant seem to use it correctly. Do i need to dtart a new kerbal campaign/sandbox world ? 

Hello there. There's nothing else for you to do and no need to start a new campaign. This is a library type mod which is required by many other mods which use resources other than KSP's built-in ones. Life support mods, USI mods, KSP Interstellar, Mk2 Expansion, the Near Future mods. All of these and more use resources that are defined in this mod.

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize if this is a bit off topic but I didn't have any luck trying to figure this out on my own and I think maybe someone here might have some insights.

I would like to know where KSP stores the resources definitions while the game is running, I need to check them and possibly edit one of them on the fly.

if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly apreciated 

of course I found what I was looking for just after posting this question, sorry to have wasted your time :D

Edited by Sigma88

So not entirely sure if this is the right place, but its the closest i could find at this time.

For some reason, when running with the pack installed, on loading the game crashes due to surfacescanner.cfg 

I have tried to load with and without the file but it seems to crash the game anyways. yet when i launch with the pack removed from the ksp files it runs load up just fine. Im not sure what to do as quite a few of the mods i am trying to run have come bundled with the pack and I have a couple years of modding ksp but this is beyond my scope of fixing.

21 hours ago, Ratchetfan20 said:

So not entirely sure if this is the right place, but its the closest i could find at this time.

For some reason, when running with the pack installed, on loading the game crashes due to surfacescanner.cfg 

I have tried to load with and without the file but it seems to crash the game anyways. yet when i launch with the pack removed from the ksp files it runs load up just fine. Im not sure what to do as quite a few of the mods i am trying to run have come bundled with the pack and I have a couple years of modding ksp but this is beyond my scope of fixing.

This is odd. Are you playing KSP in a language other than English? If not, try deleting all of CRP's localization files except English (en.cfg). This helps to fix another prominent problem with this mod.

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

This is odd. Are you playing KSP in a language other than English? If not, try deleting all of CRP's localization files except English (en.cfg). This helps to fix another prominent problem with this mod.

You sir get all the cookies! I deleted the other localization files and on the first run it loaded right. Thank you

Now just to get the rest of my mods working right 

I was recently looking at the old Hex Can mod for the "Barite" a very dense liquid to use as ballast.  however it is not in the CRP...  I have looked in the CRP for something similar, and see it has lead. 

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
    name = Lead
 displayName = #LOC_CRP_Lead_DisplayName
    density = 0.01134
    unitCost = 0.067392
    hsp = 128
    flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
    transfer = PUMP
    isTweakable = True
    isVisible = true
 volume = 1
    ksparpicon = RealFuels/Resources/ARPIcons/LeadBallast
}

However even if the CRP defines it as "transfer = PUMP" this does not really sit well with me for the idea of the liquid ballast.  as you would need to melt it first.  so I am wondering if there is any other resource I may have missed, as I do not know what name to look for.  basically I want a very dense liquid that is inert.  The hexcan mod has a can for "LiquidBarite" but I do not see where that resource is defined.  it is listed as coming from another mod but I do not know which.  If there is not anything like this in the CRP I would like to get one added.  LiquidBarite would be fine I guess, then what ever mod that was would work with CRP.  But I do not know what it was to go get the details that mod uses.

Any other ideas for an inert very dense liquid? 

Galinstan  (68% Ga, 22% In, and 10% Sn ) - roughly

6.44 g/cm3

Barium Sulfate (BaSO4) - what I assume the "LiquidBarite" from that mod was referring to

4.49 g/cm3

Mercury

13.534 g/cm3

And before anybody points this out, yes I know  or any  "liquid" will freeze at some point, and thus in the cold reaches of space most would be hard to maintain in a liquid state.  The line I was looking at was the actual melting point.  Lead is just too high to be usable in this way. while others, a small RTG like setup could keep it above freezing.  sort of a reverse "boil off" I guess.  and most craft would have enough heat in them somewhere anyway to maintain the needed temperatures just from their electronics, or solar radiation etc.   I am not looking for "Reality" just looking for something a bit more so.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Also, configs are cumulative.  If you want to increase numbers, you just need a new config, no need to edit an existing one (since CRP files themselves should not be changed)

Yes but you can override if you specify resources at a more specific level, planetary overrides global and biome override both  planetary  and global

Edited by FreeThinker

Thanks everyone!

I was trying to add a not very common resource to be mined to produce enriched uranium, to be returned for profit. Also to make enriched uranium not accessible everywhere.

Looking at the CRP, I found the Uraninite, which was not being used with my mod list, and already had integration with ScanSAT and some other mods. Made some direct edits in a test install, tested, and everything worked. Changes were applied to existing saves without problem.

But I found out this game mechanic is not very interesting with the stock mining system, because you only need 1 5-star engineer to run an endless amount of drills and converters (in this case centrifuges), and can keep it in the same spot forever. In case of USI Habitation without perma-hab, just needing to change the engineer. Reminds me of the movie "Moon". I need to think if I'll use this or not. Any suggestions about this are appreciated (to have benefit of more populated bases, or multiple bases).

If I want to make these changes, the best way is to create a MM patch to change some characteristics of the Uraninite (cost and density) and it's planetary distribution, right? If someone have an example of a patch, I would be immensely grateful.

1 hour ago, MaximumThrust said:

If I want to make these changes, the best way is to create a MM patch to change some characteristics of the Uraninite (cost and density) and it's planetary distribution, right? If someone have an example of a patch, I would be immensely grateful.

This is a very bad idea.  Better to just make another resource, since messing with density and cost is going to break other stuff.  So in your case, just make some other resource and use existing configs as examples.

3 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

This is a very bad idea.  Better to just make another resource, since messing with density and cost is going to break other stuff.  So in your case, just make some other resource and use existing configs as examples.

I can imagine. But it's already supported in some mods I use, with containers with custom textures for it. I could keep the cost and density and balance it with the converters. It's safe to edit only the planetary distribution?

26 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Don't edit anything in CRP :wink:  For planetary densities just make a new config - they are cumulative.  It would be better to understand precisely what it is you are trying to do with the planetary resources.

I don't fully understand the "cumulative" part, what if I want to change something that is already specified (like the chance for a planet/biome)? 

What I want with Uraninite is:

Keep the 0% chance in Jool.

Keep the 100% chance in Kerbin (to make sense I can have enriched uranium for my vessels), but greatly reduce the amount, so it's not worth mining.

Reduce the chance everywhere else from 70% to 20%.

What exacly I have to do? Make a new config for all the biomes in Kerbin and all the planets/moons?

Many thanks.

Ok... it's the reduction that's going to be a bear.  Probably add a config for every planet that puts the new percentage you want.  Planetary overrides Global, Biome overrides planetary.  So yep, new configs.  For Kerbin... it's going to be every biome.

You might be able to pull it off with an MM file... but that can get a bit sketchy if multiple people are trying the same thing :wink:

On 2018/2/13 at 5:27 PM, RoverDude said:

Which language are you using?  We have a fix for Chinese, but would be good to know if any others are being sketchy

Maybe we can delete communityresourcepack\localization\zh-cn.cfg, and then it will work in the Chinese version.I've tried, it's working.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.