[1.x+] Community Resource Pack

RoverDude

3 hours ago, karamazovnew said:

I really wish CRP wasn't bundled with the mods that use it. Although it's not the only bundled mod in KPS, it's the one that seems to be updated the most often. It makes keeping mods updated very confusing, especially for a JSGME user such as myself and probably for the modders as well. At the very least, could modders pretty please stop adding extra files to the CommunityResourcePack folder? One of them even deleted one of the original files (you know who you are, btw love your mods :blush:).

With all due respect you are completely backwards on this.  For one it doesn't get updated that often, and the vast majority of updates are simply for KSP version compatibility.

The entire reason the CRP exists is to give a stable platform of common resources specifically so that modders who wish to use them, can do so and safely redistribute the CRP without risk of stomping on another mod.  If there are modders who are making personal changes to the CRP for their own mods and redistributing that version, frankly they are DOING IT WRONG, and they should be called out for that.  This is because what they are doing is completely destroying the reason for the CRP existing.

4 hours ago, karamazovnew said:

I really wish CRP wasn't bundled with the mods that use it. Although it's not the only bundled mod in KPS, it's the one that seems to be updated the most often. It makes keeping mods updated very confusing, especially for a JSGME user such as myself and probably for the modders as well. At the very least, could modders pretty please stop adding extra files to the CommunityResourcePack folder? One of them even deleted one of the original files (you know who you are, btw love your mods :blush:).

As noted, by @goldenpsp, CRP really does not update that often (usually only when there are new KSP versions, or if there are a decent set of changed a modder needs, like the ones @FreeThinker just added (which will of course result in an out of band release).  It's very purpose is to be a dependency - one most of us bundle.

And yes, if someone is messing with the CRP folder... this is a really. really. really. bad idea - given that the entire point of CRP is stability.  We all may not use all of the stuff in it, but by participating, you are agreeing not to break it (intentionally or not) either :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

On the update to 1.1.3 this mod started saying the it wasnet updated when kerbal starts ( asking me to update)  but ive reinstalled 3 times, once was a full kerbal scrub, and its still doing it with fresh downloads. ive checked the game data folder and it seems ok in the version file so could you sugest what im missing?

@RoverDude could you stick in a drop down list to select resource in the NBS gui in the next release of kerbal ^_^ also when you are there could you also auto refresh the gui when selecting another resource without the need to move the mouse over the minimap or clicking refresh

Thanks xD

On 7/14/2016 at 10:11 AM, Space Kadet said:

On the update to 1.1.3 this mod started saying the it wasnet updated when kerbal starts ( asking me to update)  but ive reinstalled 3 times, once was a full kerbal scrub, and its still doing it with fresh downloads. ive checked the game data folder and it seems ok in the version file so could you sugest what im missing?

tbh, need a lot more context?

14 hours ago, RoverDude said:

tbh, need a lot more context?

Every time I try to install crp, on starting kerbal it flashes the box saying it's out if date, and for version 1.1.2

I've re installed, re downloaded, deleted the original, and even deleted kerbal completely and had a fresh install from steam but it still keeps flagging up on startup as an old version. This checking the version file in the install folder it is the right one

2 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

Every time I try to install crp, on starting kerbal it flashes the box saying it's out if date, and for version 1.1.2

I've re installed, re downloaded, deleted the original, and even deleted kerbal completely and had a fresh install from steam but it still keeps flagging up on startup as an old version. This checking the version file in the install folder it is the right one

Screenshots would help.  Screenshot of the error.  Screenshot of your gamedata folder.

Just curious why you would be installing CRP manually.  So far all of the mods I have used that need CRP, bundle it with their mod.

Its the kerbal mod warning,  still seems to be working fine its just the warning box, and i did install it with all the mods, then tried a standalone after this warning kept coming up.  Thanks for your help thow! Now im trying to get EPL to work with mks lite

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rover. Not sure how you want this info but here's a couple of resources.

Compressed water is used by my Maritime Pack and in the forthcoming 1869 mod as ballast.  1869 will use it as fuel to generate steam.

Steam is used by my forthcoming 1869 mod as well as Kerb-fu's vertical propulsion emporium as a propellant.  We're both using the same values in our mods for this resource.

Please @ me if you need further info.

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = CompressedWater
  density = 1.00
  unitCost = 0.01
  flowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = Steam
  density = 0.005
  unitCost = 0.01
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
}

1 hour ago, Fengist said:

Compressed water is used by my Maritime Pack and in the forthcoming 1869 mod as ballast.  1869 will use it as fuel to generate steam.

Just a note, but it is my understanding that water can not be compressed. In fact, when frozen to a solid, it expands. :)

15 minutes ago, Vorg said:

Just a note, but it is my understanding that water can not be compressed. In fact, when frozen to a solid, it expands. :)

AH AH!  I got another physics purist in my flypaper!.  My friend, I read Michio Kaku whilst sitting on the toilet.  I'm WELL aware of the fact that water is incompressible.  I created this resource just to see how many Isaac Newtons, who play a game that has about as much in common with real-life physics as a black hole does with a basketball, would make the effort to correct me on this.  

And for my NEXT feat of physics bedazzlement and wonderment, I'm going to use Iron as a fuel in fusion reactors!

Gotcha!

Edited by Fengist

On 8/3/2016 at 11:43 PM, Fengist said:

AH AH!  I got another physics purist in my flypaper!.  My friend, I read Michio Kaku whilst sitting on the toilet.  I'm WELL aware of the fact that water is incompressible.  I created this resource just to see how many Isaac Newtons, who play a game that has about as much in common with real-life physics as a black hole does with a basketball, would make the effort to correct me on this.  

And for my NEXT feat of physics bedazzlement and wonderment, I'm going to use Iron as a fuel in fusion reactors!

Gotcha!

No need to be rude.  Are there any game mechanic reasons to not use the actual Water resource?  Seems like you could just use 100 units of Water instead of 1 unit of CompressedWater to get the desired mass.

5 hours ago, hab136 said:

No need to be rude.  Are there any game mechanic reasons to not use the actual Water resource?  Seems like you could just use 100 units of Water instead of 1 unit of CompressedWater to get the desired mass.

If the words I chose came out rude, they were not intended that way.  It was intended to be an amusing response to a seeming physical impossibility.

And yes, I could use water and just increase the volume and I may end up doing just that.  The mod I've been working on is going to rely quite a bit on water in it's propulsion.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to work out a better life support scheme for RO/RP-0, I'm a bit surprised at the low density of food, and the rather high density of waste.

Currently, food has a density of 0.28. That is about right for instant ramen or freeze-dried berries (that is, water-free and porous). Anything that can not only be dried, but powdered as well, will be a lot denser, on the order of 0.8. Even if you assume single serving pouches that can't be packed tight, the average density should be higher.

But what really gets me is waste. Density 0.75, that's a lot. If you happen to have a pack of rice or sugar around, pick it up -- it's in the same ballpark.

Before I go on, is there any chance at all that it could be changed? I guess it would affect quite a few people, after all.

On 8/3/2016 at 2:51 PM, Fengist said:

Steam is used by my forthcoming 1869 mod as well as Kerb-fu's vertical propulsion emporium as a propellant.  We're both using the same values in our mods for this resource.

Please @ me if you need further info.

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = CompressedWater
  density = 1.00
  unitCost = 0.01
  flowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = Steam
  density = 0.005
  unitCost = 0.01
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
}

Generally we only add stuff to CRP once it's used by a few mods.  

2 hours ago, Laie said:

Trying to work out a better life support scheme for RO/RP-0, I'm a bit surprised at the low density of food, and the rather high density of waste.

Currently, food has a density of 0.28. That is about right for instant ramen or freeze-dried berries (that is, water-free and porous). Anything that can not only be dried, but powdered as well, will be a lot denser, on the order of 0.8. Even if you assume single serving pouches that can't be packed tight, the average density should be higher.

But what really gets me is waste. Density 0.75, that's a lot. If you happen to have a pack of rice or sugar around, pick it up -- it's in the same ballpark.

Before I go on, is there any chance at all that it could be changed? I guess it would affect quite a few people, after all.

Those belong to TAC-LS, so check over there on the why's :)

3 hours ago, Laie said:

KSP doesn't really have a concept of density. Resources are measured in arbitrary units and the 'density' says how much one unit masses, but nothing in the game says what the volume of one unit is. I believe CRP usually assumes it's one litre, but KSP itself doesn't care. So you're free to assume whatever volume you like for one unit if you like.

Re: food and waste densities

10 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Those belong to TAC-LS, so check over there on the why's :)

I'd like to know if it's even possible to alter these resources. "Food" affects every Life Support mod, and "waste" possibly some more.

I think I have enough data to make my case to the RO team. But for a CRP change, there's a few more people that need to be onboard. How likely is this to happen?

Edited by Laie

1 hour ago, Laie said:

I'd like to know if it's even possible to alter these resources. "Food" affects every Life Support mod, and "waste" possibly some more.

I think I have enough data to make my case to the RO team. But for a CRP change, there's a few more people that need to be onboard. How likely is this to happen?

Two things.  As mentioned I would hit up the TAC-LS people.  It is possible you simply don't understand how they are utilizing the food units.  IIRC TAC was built around realistic numbers.

Also keep in mind you don't have to put every reasource in CRP, nor do you need to use every CRP resource.  You could make the case that there at least so far is no valid reason, nor is it a good idea to run multiple Lifesupport mods at the same time.  So if you had "food" for your mod that was not the CRP food, you still wouldn't bump into TAC-LS as you shouldn't be running both at the same time.  So you can utilized CRP for the raw materials, which are more important to be consistent on IMO and have your own food resource specific to your LS mod.

Actually... what you do not want to do is collide with CRP names (by making your own food resource called 'Food').

Given that TAC-LS is part of RO, I would be surprised if they chose to change it, as it would affect a lot of folks.  And yes, there was a lot of research that went into that.

Edited by RoverDude

17 hours ago, Laie said:

Like Roverdude said. Take this over to the TAC LS thread. We can discuss there and I can link you the data sheets on the resources. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Spodershibe said:

Hi, I am running a lot of different mods, and when I place anything that holds water on my ship, it bugs out and doesn't stay attached right. It seems to weigh down the rocket and the joints seem to not work.

https://gyazo.com/909155c8563f7a999e5701ab4bd0ee3f 

I would check with the relevant mods.  CRP is just a bunch of resource definitions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.