[1.x+] Community Resource Pack

RoverDude

0.2.1 is up!

Mostly stuff from PRE, with a few fixes. Note that the atmo and oceanic resources have been mostly deprecated with the exception of ones used by current CRP mods. Deprecated ones were primarilly KSPI ones as, with Fractal's return, KSPI no longer uses CRP, and the state of KSPI-L is uncertain. Also edited OP to reflect the switch from ORS to ORSX, and the revised project goals.

• Transition to ORSX vs ORS maps
  • Updated cost of hydrogen
  • Refactored folders to be sorted by resource
  • Removed Alumina and Uranium maps as these were KSPI specific
  • Water everywhere :)
  • Fixed duplicate Argon/Oxygen atmospheric keys

Over the next release, any resources currently unique to KSPI will be deprecated. At the same time, the next anticipated extension will likely be uranium mining (from MKS/USI).

• 2 weeks later...

i wanna talk about this:

Side note, CRP will be getting a serious deprecation pass in the future.

i see these resources falling to four categories:

1. Definitely on the list:

1. One of the hydrogens; either LiquidHydrogen or Hydrogen. NFT seems to use LiquidHydrogen, but keeping Hydrogen makes more taxonomic sense.
    2. Polytetrafluoroethylene; NFT defines PTFEs, but i can't see it being used anywhere. not sure what i'd do with Teflon in space, but it sounds like a fun day.
    3. Plutonium-238; apparently an Ex-KSPi resource that isn't being used.

4. probably on the list
      1. Antimatter, ChargedParticles, ExoticMatter, Megajoules, Science, ThermalPower, VacuumPlasma, and WasteHeat are all KSPi/KSPiLITE specific; these should be on the list, assuming an optional patches are left lying around current users (i.e. myself) to survive upon, given that Fractal doesn't appear to want to play. obv if fractal or wave wants these to stay, there's no reason to remove them, but most of these would not be useful to other mods without the supporting magic to make them behave.
      2. StoredCharge is unique to NFT-Electrical, and serves as the special storage for capacitors. it seems to be defined in their mod pack already, and nothing should be using this directly except capacitors, which should be converting it to EC for use elsewhere. might want to leave it unless Nertea says so, but i don't know how useful it would be without the supporting magic to convert it to EC

[*]probably not on the list

1. the common use KSPi/KSPiLITE resources, like Deuterium, Tritium, Ammonia, H2Peroxide, Actinides, Aluminium, Alumina, LqdHelium, Lithium, Helium-3, LqdMethane. all have the possibility of being used for other things, like non-KSPi reactors, refinery, chemistry, coolants and fuels.

[*]Definitely not on the list

1. The other Hydrogen, we'll need one of them
  2. IntakeAtm,Water, ArgonGas, EnrichedUranium, DepletedUranium, CarbonDioxide, Food, WasteWater, Waste, Substrate, Metals, Minerals, Ore, BioMass, Karbonite, Karborundum are all used in more then one mod, or represent a common use resource that can be drawn or produced by other mods. this is CRP working as intended.

OBV, i have a personal stake in KSPiLITE remaining in the CRP, but only because i want KSPiLITE to survive after the current confusion. Did i miss anything? am i miscategorizing things? how many of my ART textures are going to need the chop?

Both hydrogens will stick as they are different resources with different uses - also one is used by NFT, the other by US, and in general once a mod is on CRP I'll pretty much do my best not to deprecate their things because part of CRP is to encourage sharing.

I'll check and see if nert uses Polytetrafluoroethylene since that will drive whether it sticks or not.

Plutonium is pretty much gone. I planned on doing something RE RTGs but if anything I would ressurect Blutonium from the Squad resource list.

Wave has expressed wanting to stick with CRP, in which case anything still used by KSPI-Lite will stay. Anything leftover from KSPI will be deprecated. I'll move a bunch to a kind of 'probationary' status and eventually to a legacy pack to help folks with backwards compatability, but at this point will be saving any drastic changes for 0.26 since Wave has said he would support KSPI-Lite through 0.25, and that will give us some time for the dust to settle.

On a positive note, SpareParts is on the list as DangIt! is on board, and we're sharing the resource with MKS/OKS and other USI mods, which will help reduce resource clutter.

I'm missing the answer to my question and I'm sorry that I'm just not seeing where to find the explanation but that just the week I'm having.

I have a WIP for a space telescope and I'm planning on having it use liquid hydrogen as a coolant resource that over time will be exhausted. I see a reference for Hydrogen as a fuel and I suppose I can use that just fine. Except that I don't know how to reference it. And perhaps more importantly, how do I build in error checking to not reference it as a resource if CRS hadn't been installed?

I'm missing the answer to my question and I'm sorry that I'm just not seeing where to find the explanation but that just the week I'm having.

I have a WIP for a space telescope and I'm planning on having it use liquid hydrogen as a coolant resource that over time will be exhausted. I see a reference for Hydrogen as a fuel and I suppose I can use that just fine. Except that I don't know how to reference it. And perhaps more importantly, how do I build in error checking to not reference it as a resource if CRS hadn't been installed?

Both Hydrogen and LiquidHydrogen are included. Two choices - bundle the CRP resource list, or include your own resource file that uses the same values as CRP - either one works :)

is this still used in ksp 0.25 or do we use only orsx? and do we need open resource system? thx

It is still used in KSP 0.25 and will be used for the foreseeable future since it's where I tie in all of my resources, as well as resources common with other mods (Universal Storage, Near Future Technologies, Near Fuels, TAC-LS, ECLSS, DangIt!, ESLD Jump Beacons, etc.)

The maps are ORS-X not ORS.

Anything from USI, as well as the Resource Overlay mod and SCANSat use ORS-X. KSPI uses ORS (I'll need to see how KSPI-L shakes out). So if the question is in reference to mods that use CRP, the only one that still uses ORS is the current KSPI-L version last I checked. If that changes, then I'd deprecate the resources unique to KSPI to avoid accidentally stomping on their changes.

It is still used in KSP 0.25 and will be used for the foreseeable future since it's where I tie in all of my resources, as well as resources common with other mods (Universal Storage, Near Future Technologies, Near Fuels, TAC-LS, ECLSS, DangIt!, ESLD Jump Beacons, etc.)

The maps are ORS-X not ORS.

Anything from USI, as well as the Resource Overlay mod and SCANSat use ORS-X. KSPI uses ORS (I'll need to see how KSPI-L shakes out). So if the question is in reference to mods that use CRP, the only one that still uses ORS is the current KSPI-L version last I checked. If that changes, then I'd deprecate the resources unique to KSPI to avoid accidentally stomping on their changes.

ok so in other words if i dont use KSPI i dont need ORS right?

Both hydrogens will stick as they are different resources with different uses - also one is used by NFT, the other by US, and in general once a mod is on CRP I'll pretty much do my best not to deprecate their things because part of CRP is to encourage sharing.

Universal Storage Hydrogen is Gas (although it's stored cryogenically in our parts which is why they have large capacities).

This is a mod in itself but it would be brilliant if we could have a single entry for each resource, then a phase tag with compression/expansion information. That way you could have a Hydrogen[LIQ] storage container which would feed a Hydrogen[GAS] processor using resources at a rate of 861 - 1.

That's wishful thinking though. A good stop gap would be a modders agreement to use a standard naming format for resources to show if they were liquid, solid or gas, something similar to the above.

Universal Storage Hydrogen is Gas (although it's stored cryogenically in our parts which is why they have large capacities).

This is a mod in itself but it would be brilliant if we could have a single entry for each resource, then a phase tag with compression/expansion information. That way you could have a Hydrogen[LIQ] storage container which would feed a Hydrogen[GAS] processor using resources at a rate of 861 - 1.

That's wishful thinking though. A good stop gap would be a modders agreement to use a standard naming format for resources to show if they were liquid, solid or gas, something similar to the above.

This is something that spins my head around. the only thing that changes (as far as KSP is concerned) in phase transitions is volume/mole, but internal volume for resources aren't tracked in KSP, so the difference between a container of 1 mole liquid 1H+ and 1 mole gasious 1H+ is the size of the container's model. resource mass is unchanged, since the mass of the resource is 1 g (from definition of mole), and resource amount is unchanged (from definition of mole).

Unless there is a reason to track phase changes, like, say, requiring electricty to convert gasious 1H+ into liquid coolant, then it shouldn't matter what state it's in, because you have 1 mole of it, and it's in a part that doesn't care how big 1 mole is. Even for that use case, the cooling part can just directly use EC to account for that and make everyone else's life easier.

Hey there :)

Since now DangIt! comes with CRP, can I join the club of mods in the OP? Please? :)

Why yes you may :)

Also - my thought is to use the convention 'Liquid' where possible, just because our only Lqds are KSPI which will either be deprecated, or will be doing resource renaming anyway

This is something that spins my head around. the only thing that changes (as far as KSP is concerned) in phase transitions is volume/mole, but internal volume for resources aren't tracked in KSP, so the difference between a container of 1 mole liquid 1H+ and 1 mole gasious 1H+ is the size of the container's model. resource mass is unchanged, since the mass of the resource is 1 g (from definition of mole), and resource amount is unchanged (from definition of mole).

Unless there is a reason to track phase changes, like, say, requiring electricty to convert gasious 1H+ into liquid coolant, then it shouldn't matter what state it's in, because you have 1 mole of it, and it's in a part that doesn't care how big 1 mole is. Even for that use case, the cooling part can just directly use EC to account for that and make everyone else's life easier.

I am playing a sandbox exploration style game using all USI mods along with Near Future where true realism is not of total importance and would like to make a Module Manager config to allow the Advanced Particle Collector (Karbonite Plus - USI pack) to collect Hydrogen while in space (not in low orbit) for use in Near Future Propulsion.

My thoughts and questions follow:

1: Is it possible to set up a resource that is only obtainable from the voids of space between planetary bodies?

2: I am hoping to have the Particle Collector require electric charge to assist with the collection of Hydrogen (gas) into a small buffer on the device and then use the USI-Converter to require more electric charge to compress the collected gas into LiquidHydrogen. Is it possible for a selected mode to require electric charge and if I used the conversion rate of 861 - 1, would I need a Hydrogen storage buffer of 861 or could I set this tiny internal hydrogen tank down to 1 unit and have USI-Converter work with tiny amounts?

3: As realism is not important in my game, I would still like to believe it could be true (no radioactive space cows), Wikipedia has some info on Interstellar Medium but I would like to hear what other KSP'ers think could be a good balance in gameplay (a fine line between interstelar soup and an impossible resource).

Edited by Deadpan110
Corrected Wikipedia URL

[...]

1: Is it possible to set up a resource that is only obtainable from the voids of space between planetary bodies?

i'm pretty sure this is exactly what KSPi antimatter collector does, but it requires extra plugin magic to generate the resource at the correct rates. specifically, i believe the collector part checks the local magnetic flux values, and then generates antimatter at the correct rate. i THINK(?) ORSX could PROBABLY(?) be used to generate the resource while outside in the sun's sphere at certain altitudes, but that's something rover would need to address.

2: I am hoping to have the Particle Collector require electric charge to assist with the collection of Hydrogen (gas) into a small buffer on the device and then use the USI-Converter to require more electric charge to compress the collected gas into LiquidHydrogen. Is it possible for a selected mode to require electric charge and if I used the conversion rate of 861 - 1, would I need a Hydrogen storage buffer of 861 or could I set this tiny internal hydrogen tank down to 1 unit and have USI-Converter work with tiny amounts?

Alternatively, you could have your collector require the electric charge you want to collect and compress the resource and have it output the resource we already have. remember, KSP is a simulation, it doesn't understand that Gaseous hydrogen and liquid hydrogen are the same thing with different states, all it knows is part 18723 takes 1 unit of resource 221 and 1 unit of resource 300 and produces 1 unit of resource 321. if you have a part that you want to produce hydrogen as if it was collecting it from space, then just have it take the right amount of electric charge and output the right amount of hydrogen.

3: As realism is not important in my game, I would still like to believe it could be true (no radioactive space cows), Wikipedia has some info on Interstellar Medium but I would like to hear what other KSP'ers think could be a good balance in gameplay (a fine line between interstelar soup and an impossible resource).

this is all going to be in the balancing, not the modeling. you could simulate every possible interaction between every molecule, but if your requirements are off by 10%, then it's impossibly easy to get hydrogen. on the other hand, if you simplify the model, and just accept that you are simulating, and work hard to get the numbers right, then your "magical hydrogen generator" will be scientifically accurate.

I am playing a sandbox exploration style game using all USI mods along with Near Future where true realism is not of total importance and would like to make a Module Manager config to allow the Advanced Particle Collector (Karbonite Plus - USI pack) to collect Hydrogen while in space (not in low orbit) for use in Near Future Propulsion.

My thoughts and questions follow:

1. Would require code. Not a lot, but code. Log a GitHub issue if you would like to see this.

2. I'd do it as two bits... collection and compression. Easy peasy. Side note, an upcoming mod to the constellation pretty much needs this bit as I now use LiquidHydrogen for fuel on nukes (like NFT - because interop and sharing resources is awesome),

3. Longer answer than I have time for right now, but get the other bits rolling, or just wait a week or two and have hydrogen collection in the USI constellation ;)

1. Would require code. Not a lot, but code. Log a GitHub issue if you would like to see this.

Sure thing, I also imagine it would also enable other modders to create strange and wonderful resources to collect while sailing through the aether.

remember, KSP is a simulation, it doesn't understand that Gaseous hydrogen and liquid hydrogen are the same thing with different states, all it knows is part 18723 takes 1 unit of resource 221 and 1 unit of resource 300 and produces 1 unit of resource 321. if you have a part that you want to produce hydrogen as if it was collecting it from space, then just have it take the right amount of electric charge and output the right amount of hydrogen.

Yes, I initially thought about just using USI-Converters much like switching on an RTG and simply tell it that #x electric charge = #y LiquidHydrogen - this would work with my not so realistic but believable "provide electric charge to collect resources" style of gameplay. But with that many great toys in KSP to play with, I really liked the idea of collect and compress interoperability (see below).

2. I'd do it as two bits... collection and compression. Easy peasy. Side note, an upcoming mod to the constellation pretty much needs this bit as I now use LiquidHydrogen for fuel on nukes (like NFT - because interop and sharing resources is awesome),

Mods sharing resources is awesome - for those people that have ever played heavily modded Minecraft will know that having 5 types of copper ore is strange to say the least.

I was thinking collection and compression for exactly the same reason because universal storage is another mod I usually have in my 'must have' list hence wanting to find it as a gas but compress and store for use in nukes (or keep it as a gas for universal storage). Speaking of which - even though I don't try to make my KSP as scientifically real as possible - TAC life support's "split Water into Oxygen and Waste (hydrogen)" makes me feel my Kerbals are missing out on some all important recycling process. ;.;

this is all going to be in the balancing, not the modeling. you could simulate every possible interaction between every molecule, but if your requirements are off by 10%, then it's impossibly easy to get hydrogen. on the other hand, if you simplify the model, and just accept that you are simulating, and work hard to get the numbers right, then your "magical hydrogen generator" will be scientifically accurate.

Yes, its the balancing that I would want to get close so not as to spoil gameplay without becoming too unrealistic - but I suppose the main problem is that what I consider fair may be too easy for others - after all, I am no Scott Manley and can't get my Kerbals across the Kerbol System with what seems like a teaspoon of LFO, but others seem to do it with ease. Its good that there is the community with people like yourself willing to voice and assist with such balancing acts.

3. Longer answer than I have time for right now, but get the other bits rolling, or just wait a week or two and have hydrogen collection in the USI constellation :wink:

Great news!

Your mods have become the staple for my KSP for a while now - I will still have a play around with Module Manager configs although I can't wait to see how the rest of your plans fit together (FTT sneak peak looks fantastic - I had no idea the big Honeybadger was really a tiny baby!).

Thanks for the feedback @all, it really makes me want to start modding and mess about creating my own scientifically accurate magical parts that share resources! :D

Update: Github Community Resource Pack Issue 8

Edited by Deadpan110
Added link to GitHub Issue

• 3 weeks later...

Heyas RoverDude, so I was watching N1tch on KSPTV, and he came across an issue where he ran out of SpareParts in his module, but had some elsewhere on the ship. However SpareParts could not be transferred in any-way-shape or form.

I found in the CommonResources.cfg that it is set to NO_FLOW and transfer=NONE.

I was wondering if this was done on purpose and the reasoning behind? Or if maybe just overlooked when it was included in CRP?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.