[1.x+] Community Resource Pack

RoverDude

16 minutes ago, Tarheel1999 said:

Just a shot in the dark but...there was a lot of work done to improve biomes in 1.2. So it's possible that what you are asking for is impossible. It's also possible you were on the edge of a biome which was redefined/cleaned up. 

Not on 1.2 yet (still 1.1.3) but thanks for the info, worth bearing in mind for when I do make the jump!

4 hours ago, Bishop149 said:

I don't really know where to post this, I hope this is the right place,

I noticed yesterday that the ore distribution on the Mun has changed completely, only noticed when I wondered why my extractor was so bloody slow. . . . . turns out its now on a patch with 0 ore. All the other resources might have moved about too I haven't checked.

Now I've been doing a lot of faffing around changing and tweaking all sorts about in an effort to get my save into a fit state to transfer to 1.2 so I'm afraid I have no idea what specific changes might have caused it. Currently still on 1.1.3

What might have caused this? Anyway I can prevent it happening again?

If you've been changing and tweaking all sorts of things in your save, would one of them happen to be the game seed?  If you changed that, all the randomly-placed distributions would change.

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

If you've been changing and tweaking all sorts of things in your save, would one of them happen to be the game seed?  If you changed that, all the randomly-placed distributions would change.

I don't think so, It's mostly been removing things relating to defunct contracts and the odd small tweak to a ship in flight. . . . . but its worth checking. Where might I find the seed? I could compare it with an old save and see if it changed.

Would making a note of the seed (to be restored) insure against similar alterations in the future?

Just now, Bishop149 said:

I don't think so, It's mostly been removing things relating to defunct contracts and the odd small tweak to a ship in flight. . . . . but its worth checking. Where might I find the seed? I could compare it with an old save and see if it changed.

Would making a note of the seed (to be restored) insure against similar alterations in the future?

It's in the scenario section of the save's persistence file.  From what I understand, as long as the seed is the same the distributions should always be the same.  (Well, I suppose changing the biomes around would change things as well.)

On 2-11-2016 at 8:29 AM, Blackline said:

I am using StoredCharge for my RealBattery mod. is there a way to change its tweakable property to true?

well technically, a simple MM script can fix that . something like:

@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[StoredCharge]
{
  @isTweakable = true
}

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am a long time lurker and I have been messing around with the config files in an attempt to get a semi-realistic portrayal of Xenon and Argon concentrations within the atmosphere and SOI (radiation belts). Through hours of painstaking experimentation I've concluded that the abundance of either gaseous resource is either hit or miss: There is no gradient, there is no effective altitude or range, and there is not variance with atmospheric pressure.... This then forces me to beg the question what is going on!? Currently it seems that the only true distribution property that works are the abundance ranges, and the seed generates a random value based on the percentage chance and variance within those ranges. My question as a newbie forum poster is how on Earth/Kerbin is that even remotely an accurate representation of gaseous concentrations if the values don't even change with pressure....? Like I hope I am fundamentally misunderstanding how to go about writing the config files but at this point it seems like the mod itself is flawed somehow. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated! My goal is for Xenon and Argon to be concentrated with varying percentages within the atmosphere as a function of pressure and within the exosphere as a function of altitude. (someone already posted several pages back about multiple radiation belts and I think that is perfect). Thanks all!

To answer your question, atmospheric, oceanic or exosphere resource gathering is not supported by stock. This mean this functionality is unverified and untested and likely not to behave as it should have been

Edited by FreeThinker

I'm messing around with Karborundum and Scansat, and the one thing I can't get right is the Variance and Dispersal.

I've searched for an hour and nobody has a confident description of what these mean.

Could someone please explain:

Variance = 50
Dispersal = 3

Thanks.

I'm trying to keep Karborundum difficult to obtain, but not have it near impossible like it is in its current config... so I am restricting it to a specific biome on Eeloo, but I want to make it spread out, and in concentrations ranging from 0% to 5% throughout the biome.

I have the scanning setup (that was the easy part) and it works, 

I have it restricted to the "Lowlands" biome, (that was also very simple) that works too... now if I could figure out the Variance and Dispersal, it would be perfect.

Edited by TheKurgan

On 11/12/2016 at 3:14 PM, MK Ultra said:

Hello, I am a long time lurker and I have been messing around with the config files in an attempt to get a semi-realistic portrayal of Xenon and Argon concentrations within the atmosphere and SOI (radiation belts). Through hours of painstaking experimentation I've concluded that the abundance of either gaseous resource is either hit or miss: There is no gradient, there is no effective altitude or range, and there is not variance with atmospheric pressure.... This then forces me to beg the question what is going on!? Currently it seems that the only true distribution property that works are the abundance ranges, and the seed generates a random value based on the percentage chance and variance within those ranges. My question as a newbie forum poster is how on Earth/Kerbin is that even remotely an accurate representation of gaseous concentrations if the values don't even change with pressure....? Like I hope I am fundamentally misunderstanding how to go about writing the config files but at this point it seems like the mod itself is flawed somehow. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated! My goal is for Xenon and Argon to be concentrated with varying percentages within the atmosphere as a function of pressure and within the exosphere as a function of altitude. (someone already posted several pages back about multiple radiation belts and I think that is perfect). Thanks all!

Oceanic and Atmospheric do not support variance.

On 11/12/2016 at 5:36 PM, FreeThinker said:

To answer your question, atmospheric, oceanic or exosphere resource gathering is not supported by stock. This mean this functionality is unverified and untested and likely not to behave as it should have been

In this case, that's by design :wink:

Does atmospheric include exospheric like outside of atmosphere but within the SOI? And does this mean there is no way to implement anything other than a static abundance? Is the only possible workaround to add a conversion ratio of Ore-> Xenon/Argon at very low values like 1:0.00007? In which case would that be achieved by adding those conversions into the config of the ISRU itself and doing away with the Cryogenic Gas Separator? Thanks for your help :D

31 minutes ago, Neroziat said:

when is this mod gonna work with 1.2.1?

im sorry to even ask, but alot of my mods depend on this pack. I didnt think 1.2.1 changed that much from 1.2 other than screwing up half the mods on ckan

This mod works just fine in 1.2.1. What problems have you had with it?

5 hours ago, Neroziat said:

well ckan lists it and the other pack as 1.2.0 so mods like kerbal planetary base systems and a few others https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/issues dont even show up in ckan

@RoverDude's change log shows a version 0.6.3 with only the line that it is for KSP 1.2.1, but the current release on GitHub is 0.6.2 (same as CKAN), which I would interpret to mean that there is a new version pending, but not released. RoverDude probably has his hands doubly full right now; I'm sure there's a new release forthcoming. RoverDude also manages his own CKAN metadata, so when 0.6.3 *is* released, CKAN should update quickly. Patience. :)

8 hours ago, MK Ultra said:

Does atmospheric include exospheric like outside of atmosphere but within the SOI? And does this mean there is no way to implement anything other than a static abundance? Is the only possible workaround to add a conversion ratio of Ore-> Xenon/Argon at very low values like 1:0.00007? In which case would that be achieved by adding those conversions into the config of the ISRU itself and doing away with the Cryogenic Gas Separator? Thanks for your help :D

Atmospheric does not include Exospheric.  Exospheric is outside of the atmosphere.  Atmospheric is also based on airflow for atmospheric harvesters.

8 hours ago, Neroziat said:

when is this mod gonna work with 1.2.1?

im sorry to even ask, but alot of my mods depend on this pack. I didnt think 1.2.1 changed that much from 1.2 other than screwing up half the mods on ckan

It is. CKAN will update when I push releases, which I am working on wrapping up.

1 hour ago, eightiesboi said:

@RoverDude's change log shows a version 0.6.3 with only the line that it is for KSP 1.2.1, but the current release on GitHub is 0.6.2 (same as CKAN), which I would interpret to mean that there is a new version pending, but not released. RoverDude probably has his hands doubly full right now; I'm sure there's a new release forthcoming. RoverDude also manages his own CKAN metadata, so when 0.6.3 *is* released, CKAN should update quickly. Patience. :)

Yup

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2016 at 0:04 AM, TheKurgan said:

I'm messing around with Karborundum and Scansat, and the one thing I can't get right is the Variance and Dispersal.

I've searched for an hour and nobody has a confident description of what these mean.

Could someone please explain:

Variance = 50
Dispersal = 3

Thanks.

I'm trying to keep Karborundum difficult to obtain, but not have it near impossible like it is in its current config... so I am restricting it to a specific biome on Eeloo, but I want to make it spread out, and in concentrations ranging from 0% to 5% throughout the biome.

I have the scanning setup (that was the easy part) and it works, 

I have it restricted to the "Lowlands" biome, (that was also very simple) that works too... now if I could figure out the Variance and Dispersal, it would be perfect.

@TheKurgan Here's your answer... I have to do something about crustal and exospheric Karborundum too. I haven't tested it at all but I've learned and developed a lot otherwise, and used that on most of the other CRP resources.

On 9/21/2016 at 7:55 AM, RoverDude said:

Yes, a noise map is generated, and used as a baseline.  Dispersal determines how much noise there is.  Low dispersal maps have more gradual transitions, high dispersal maps have lots of little pockets.  Variance affects the upper and lower bounds (expressed as a percentage) at any given point.  0% means no adjustments are made, 100% means that it can vary from 0%-200% of the original value.  This makes stuff more 'spikey'.

On 11/12/2016 at 4:14 PM, MK Ultra said:

I never went about testing this (until yesterday) so I'm quite content with just being able to provide more Argon and Xenon in an atmosphere, since the default settings provide quite nearly none --on Kerbin anyway, and for a time I loved designing manned vehicles that relied heavily or only on Argon, and a Duna base to support them. I still make probes using Argon. It would be really nice, however, to have that functionality...then players could deploy airships full of harvesters and hover at the edge of IntakeAtm presence where everything other than Oxygen should be.

On 11/14/2016 at 11:35 AM, MK Ultra said:

Does atmospheric include exospheric like outside of atmosphere but within the SOI? And does this mean there is no way to implement anything other than a static abundance? Is the only possible workaround to add a conversion ratio of Ore-> Xenon/Argon at very low values like 1:0.00007? In which case would that be achieved by adding those conversions into the config of the ISRU itself and doing away with the Cryogenic Gas Separator? Thanks for your help :D

It was brought to my attention that the stock resource distribution mechanics are pretty limited and it would be very nice if atmospheric (and oceanic) dispersal worked and if crustal resources could vary by altitude. I didn't mind much since it's stock and the very many vanilla players and mod-users short of realism aficionados don't need to care about these things. :) I do mind this limitation now as I'm deeply into resource tweaking and I've done so for several celestial bodies. I want resources to be more of a challenge and more of a reward. It'd be very welcome to have an option to specify something small and precise (in the manner of exospheric settings) to make a resource only abundant in the valleys and zero in the plains and hilltops....or only in the plains ASL and none in the hills and valleys. The gold would literally be in them thar hills!...all of them, and not all over the biome they're in, if someone wanted.

15 hours ago, RoverDude said:

To accomplish that you'd be better off modifying the corresponding converters, etc.

Alright, assuming someone want to do that, how can we Query Stock resource system? specificly what class to use?

Edited by FreeThinker

On 11/25/2016 at 9:36 AM, FreeThinker said:

Alright, assuming someone want to do that, how can we Query Stock resource system? specificly what class to use?

Review the API documentation or ask a much more specific question, since it's a massive subsystem.  Almost everything is publicly accessible and override able, so you're really talking more of a mod architecture / design discussion vs an API discussion anyway.

@FreeThinker A lof of useful stuff is in ResourceMap. To query abundance level at a specific point:

AbundanceRequest request = new AbundanceRequest
{
  ResourceType = HarvestTypes.Planetary,
  ResourceName = "Water",
  BodyId = body.flightGlobalsIndex,  
  Latitude = vessel.latitude,
  Longitude = vessel.longitude,
  Altitude = vessel.altitude,  
  CheckForLock = false
};
double abundance = ResourceMap.Instance.GetAbundance(request);

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.