[1.x+] Community Resource Pack

RoverDude

On 15-8-2017 at 11:53 PM, Angel-125 said:

During my cleanup efforts for my latest mod release, I noticed that KSP was giving me a duplicate resource definition error for FusionPellets. I finally tracked the issue down to CRP. Apparently, FusionPellets was added to CommonResources.cfg, right after ExoticMatter. I had no idea this had been done. FusionPellets is a resource I created for DSEV nearly three years ago. Why was this resource added? If there are other mods using it besides NFT (we have a mutual agreement on how it's defined), I wasn't consulted. I'm not opposed to having FusionPellets added to CRP- and suggested it two years ago- but I'd like to make sure I'm the curator of the resource that I've had in my mods for about three years now.

Well I identified I (and assume others) would want to use fusionpellets and basically took over your definition in DSEV. Because you are not involved in CRP, I assumed (wrongly) you would not want to be bothered (otherwise you would have added it 2 years ago). If you want to curate yourself, good, go right ahead and move it to your own curated section, less burden on me.

Edited by FreeThinker

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Well I identified I (and assume others) would want to use fusion pellets and basically took over your definition in DSEV. Because you are not involved in CRP, I assumed (wrongly) you would not want to be bothered (otherwise you would have added it 2 years ago). If you want to curate yourself, good, go right ahead and move it to your own curated section, less burden on me.

"Oh, sorry I stole your code without asking and then added it to this thing while taking credit for it, but if you want it back fine, I guess you can, your loss, less work for me, if you wanted it under your name you should have just added it yourself in the first place before I thought to..."

Spoiler

Imadedis.PNG

Edited by minepagan
Sass

LOL, but its not really code, it's simply a definition to allow the community to share the same resource so we don't stomp on each other. I agree it might have been better if I gave a heads up to @Angel-125 which I forgot apparently. I'm sorry for that.

Edited by FreeThinker

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

Wanted to report what looks to be a localization error for some compressed air resources in English. Some containers are displaying a #loc_compressed_ air instead of just.. compressed air on the most recent patch for CRP.

If I'm not mistaken, I have already addressed this is in this commit.

For one of my mods I have ditched the idea of going with a custom resource and plan to use a slightly different in game mechanic (pseudo-ISRU/harvesting) but it relies partly on the Koncrete resource found in @Angel-125's WBITools.

I moved over to it after a little more playing around with the mod I'm working on but to avoid any issues can we add this Resource to the CRP?

Resource details from the config file:

RESOURCE_DEFINITION 
{ 
	name = Konkrete 
 	density = 0.0024 
 	unitCost = 1.5 
 	flowMode = ALL_VESSEL  
 	transfer = PUMP 
 	isTweakable = true 
 	isVisible = true 
} 

And here is a link to the original source:

https://github.com/Angel-125/WildBlueTools/blob/master/GameData/WildBlueIndustries/000WildBlueTools/Resources/WBIResources.cfg

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

@Angel-125 Yes, but I also defined it a year ago for KSPIE and was unaware of your definition but I took the density air and used the standard CRP gas convention of 1 liter gas  at 1 Atmosphere which the community agreed on.

Was CompressedAir recently added to CRP? I didn't have this issue before..

From a CRP standpoint, compressed air is KSPI curated.  And if that crp def is going to change (or not) discuss it here and get consensus since we really try to not change CRP definitions after the fact without warning people and agreeing to a timetable.

The latest possible release of KSPI-E that could predate the 1st Heisenberg release by @Angel-125 was December 7th (2016)... and guess what? No Compressed air. ANYWHERE. The 1st version of Heisenberg was released on 23rd of December (2016). It had compressed air. Which means, once again, one of @Angel-125's resource definition was stolen and changed by @FreeThinker.

The 1st instance I can find of it in Interstellar Fuel Switch is in IFS version: Interstellar Fuel Switch v2.8.1 (1.3.0), Which was released on August 27th of this year.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

5 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes, it was added on August 1 but it didn't get released until very recently

After doing some digging....the WBI config has been around much, much longer than yours. I find it quite suspicious, considering (a) you already stole the fusionpellets resource, and (b) it just so happens to be very similar, same function, name, etc..

Evidence:

Spoiler

Looking at KSPI-E version 1.11.4, which was released on December 7th, 2016, there is no trace of CompressedAir.

Meanwhile, in the WildBlueTools bundled with Heisenberg version 2.0.0 (which was released December 23rd of that same year), CompressedAir is clearly defined.

There was no other version of KSPI-E until August 3rd, 2017, so even if CompressedAir was included in that version, it would have been roughly half a year after it was defined as part of WBI.

So regardless, it seems that Angel made it first, and this was at best an oversight on your part, making a resource that exactly overlapped with his.

At worst, it was (another) intentional attempt to get away with stealing his work.

In case you don't believe me, here are links to the versions in question:

KSPI-E v1.11.4: https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/ksp-interstellar-extended/files/2353371

Heisenberg v2.0.0: https://spacedock.info/mod/1125/Heisenberg Airship Parts Pack/download/2.0.0

And here are links to the pages where I got those from, which include more recent versions, and the dates they were released:

KSPI-E: https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/ksp-interstellar-extended/files

Heisenberg: https://spacedock.info/mod/1125/Heisenberg Airship Parts Pack#changelog

First.  Everyone needs to cool it.  

Second.  Probably best not to accuse people of copying when they just have the misfortune of using the same name for something that was not part of CRP (given that this is the entire reason CRP was built in the first place....)  

Third.  FreeThinker and Angel-123 can sort this out, since it means (unlike fusion pellets) someone is going to have to change their mod.  And in any case, it needs to be in the correct standardized unit size (if it is not already) before I will take in any adjusted PRs.  And the two of you can sort out if you want to change curation.

Fourth.  To repeat.  Everyone needs to cool it.  

43 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Which confirms that @Angel-125 created the resource, and should be curating it. You should have at least notified him! But, of course, why would you. You better not be doing stuff like this again, because you're getting quite the reputation among modders.

FreeThinker did nothing wrong, people come up with different definitions in different mods for the exact same thing all the time. Look at the early posts in this thread, most especially between the curators of Real Fuels (I was the curator at the beginning) and KSPIE (FreeThinker and Northstar1989); no one is accusing anyone of stealing anything, we're instead trying to resolve differences (painfully in certain cases, sure, but we're still trying) in order to give the community a unified resource that all mods can integrate with. This is precisely why CRP exists in the first place.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.