[1.x+] Community Resource Pack

RoverDude

47 minutes ago, Araym said:

:blush2:I'm not asking a complex dissertation: a simple "we found this cost in this piece of paper/this reference: it show this cost/units. In game, that real life units equal to xxx units in game. It looked plausible" followed by a "Oh... I didn't know it...." by me, and I will disappear in peace.

Cost of LH2 and LCH4 resources was set by RO people scaled to LF. Reality is bad for gameplay. I can't say more than that as I wasn't specifically involved. 

Fundamentally, it is a very Bad Idea to look at cost in KSP as anything at all relevant. The inconsistencies in the stock game and just flat out whack decisions in terms of what costs what mean that everything breaks down when you look very closely at anything, particularly if you want to compare things to reality. As a random, picked example, a Z-4K battery costs more than a Mk 1-3 command pod. You would need to throw it all out and start again. 

So I try to wag costs more or less according to what stock does but there's only so much I can do. 

4 hours ago, Nertea said:

Cost of LH2 and LCH4 resources was set by RO people scaled to LF. Reality is bad for gameplay. I can't say more than that as I wasn't specifically involved. 

The inconsistencies in the stock game and just flat out whack decisions in terms of what costs what mean that everything breaks down when you look very closely at anything, particularly if you want to compare things to reality.

So I try to wag costs more or less according to what stock does but there's only so much I can do. 

;pI guessed it was just a nice "estimation", but nothing more, almost right. Interested in the topic I did a bit of backtracking in almost the whole thread, just to understand the "process" that brought some values as they are actually, and the struggle to have bot RO playstyle and stock playstyle to live together in one single library of resources: not playing in RO, I can someway imagine that they have some differencies, once all their modding is implemented, that maybe put LqdHydrogen to the value that it is...

The only "weirdness", mostly probably by the fact that, probaly, at the time, not so much of other fuels were used in a stock-modded enviroment (You were the first trying, probably, launching CryoEngines/Tanks, but looking at those dates it was A LONG AGO: it was probably just a niche addition)...
... but now I see A LOT more mods, in a stock enviroment, using different resources in a realistic fashion, and a lot of people, for example, are starting to code, for example, SpaceX rockets (a novelty only, back then, when today is a leading firm in space launch) and I noticed a very large gap in in-game credits between a standard LiquidFuel "stock rocket", a far too cheap LqdHydrogen, and a far too expensive LqdMethane (if assumed the same tank and similar performance engines).

I do not want to push, here, my own "preference" (pushing for a change here could lead to the necessity of an entire "rework" of thons of mods that probably were balanced against the actual figures): politely, as last request, to not further clog here with tons of post, I would eventually ask if I can bother you, in PM, for a couple of simple requests: by myself, for my own usage, I tried to "change" eventually something, but the major problem I found is that, even if succesful for the cost/unit, then I encountered some "little bugs" once the actuall version of CryoTanks apply its patches (probably just because are mass/cost tailored to the actual values) with some "negative cost".

If it is not an inconvenience, @Nertea, I would just ask about those patches a bit (mostly because I'm a bit of a disaster when MM patches start to make "math" and implement "variables", and probably I would just needed an indication or two about where I should look to then take all the matters about "personal modificatios" on my own)

Edited by Araym

On 9/10/2021 at 1:58 PM, Araym said:

;pI guessed it was just a nice "estimation", but nothing more, almost right. Interested in the topic I did a bit of backtracking in almost the whole thread, just to understand the "process" that brought some values as they are actually, and the struggle to have bot RO playstyle and stock playstyle to live together in one single library of resources: not playing in RO, I can someway imagine that they have some differencies, once all their modding is implemented, that maybe put LqdHydrogen to the value that it is...

The only "weirdness", mostly probably by the fact that, probaly, at the time, not so much of other fuels were used in a stock-modded enviroment (You were the first trying, probably, launching CryoEngines/Tanks, but looking at those dates it was A LONG AGO: it was probably just a niche addition)...
... but now I see A LOT more mods, in a stock enviroment, using different resources in a realistic fashion, and a lot of people, for example, are starting to code, for example, SpaceX rockets (a novelty only, back then, when today is a leading firm in space launch) and I noticed a very large gap in in-game credits between a standard LiquidFuel "stock rocket", a far too cheap LqdHydrogen, and a far too expensive LqdMethane (if assumed the same tank and similar performance engines).

I do not want to push, here, my own "preference" (pushing for a change here could lead to the necessity of an entire "rework" of thons of mods that probably were balanced against the actual figures): politely, as last request, to not further clog here with tons of post, I would eventually ask if I can bother you, in PM, for a couple of simple requests: by myself, for my own usage, I tried to "change" eventually something, but the major problem I found is that, even if succesful for the cost/unit, then I encountered some "little bugs" once the actuall version of CryoTanks apply its patches (probably just because are mass/cost tailored to the actual values) with some "negative cost".

If it is not an inconvenience, @Nertea, I would just ask about those patches a bit (mostly because I'm a bit of a disaster when MM patches start to make "math" and implement "variables", and probably I would just needed an indication or two about where I should look to then take all the matters about "personal modificatios" on my own)

Well I can't and won't stop you from doing whatever you want for your own use. 

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I'm trying to install Kerbalism mod version 3.14. https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism
Where should I get Community Resource Pack (and which version?) for Kerbalism 3.14?

Because link in the "Download and installation" section doesn't have release: https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityResourcePack/releases 

Edit1:

I found release in here: https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/CommunityResourcePack/releases

But it says it's for KSP 1.11

I'm installing Kerbalism 3.14 for KSP 1.12.2 and I'm not sure which version of CRP does it need.

Edit2:

I'm going to use CRP 1.4.2 for KSP 1.12.2

Edited by CanOmer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Clancythecat said:

I'm guessing that this works with the wolf system in mks?

MKS has a hard dependency on CRP, and it looks like WOLF uses models and textures from MKS and breaks without it.

WOLF has its own set of virtual resources, but these can be converted into standard resources from CRP.

Version 112.0.1 of the Community Resource Pack has been released, and the thread has been updated to reflect the updated download location and KSP version supported.  CKAN should also be catching up for those of you who use it.  You can also nab the latest release here:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/CommunityResourcePack/releases

Super important note is that this no longer includes resource distributions - so those are roll your own now.  Though we've included all of the old ones in an Extras folder in the repo if you need a starting point.

This is pretty much what was in the bleeding edge releases for 1.11, plus a few small tweaks.  Barring any major issues, this is likely going to be the release we stick with for the foreseeable future, as @DoktorKrogg and I are both neck deep in a new indie game we're both working on :)  

So while we're totally still around and active in the forums and on the USI discord, I would not anticipate any major new USI releases, at least in the short term, though there are still a few major things we both want to knock out (including updating all of the wheels, and some other large system changes).

Lastly, a couple of handy links.  First, the discord server for all things USI (though this also covers our new game as well), and a reminder that I'll be doing a bunch of streaming around game dev (mostly the art side, so Blender, Substance, Unity, etc.). though it's going to be exclusively work on the new game, vs KSP stuff.  

Discord:  https://discord.gg/FNBwUXRgX8

Twitch:  https://www.twitch.tv/RoverDude

Enjoy!  And make sure to let us know if any bees got into the build process.  If so, we'll do a fast follower in a week or two if necessary to update the releases.

20 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Version 112.0.1 of the Community Resource Pack has been released, and the thread has been updated to reflect the updated download location and KSP version supported.  CKAN should also be catching up for those of you who use it.  You can also nab the latest release here:

Super important note is that this no longer includes resource distributions - so those are roll your own now.  Though we've included all of the old ones in an Extras folder in the repo if you need a starting point.

There doesn't appear to be any Extras folder on the repo.

On 5/30/2022 at 3:12 AM, RoverDude said:

This is pretty much what was in the bleeding edge releases for 1.11, plus a few small tweaks.  Barring any major issues, this is likely going to be the release we stick with for the foreseeable future, as @DoktorKrogg and I are both neck deep in a new indie game we're both working on :) 

Enjoy!  And make sure to let us know if any bees got into the build process.  If so, we'll do a fast follower in a week or two if necessary to update the releases.

Hey @RoverDude and @DoktorKrogg,

Thanks for your great work!

Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but where can I find a full changelog?

I have an ongoing JNSQ (+Kerbalism) game and want to check, if it is save to update.

11 minutes ago, N3N said:

Hey @RoverDude and @DoktorKrogg,

Thanks for your great work!

Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but where can I find a full changelog?

I have an ongoing JNSQ (+Kerbalism) game and want to check, if it is save to update.

CRP is really dependent on the mods that package it.  In the case of anything USI, no difference.

3 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

CRP is really dependent on the mods that package it.  In the case of anything USI, no difference.

Hey @RoverDude,

thank you for your fast response!

So that means, that I have to look at the mods that use it, if they have updated too.

> Did I understand you correctly?

43 minutes ago, N3N said:

Hey @RoverDude,

thank you for your fast response!

So that means, that I have to look at the mods that use it, if they have updated too.

> Did I understand you correctly?

Just saying that nothing is going to be a direct result of CRP - it's not a stand alone mod.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.