Jump to content

[1.x+] Community Resource Pack


Recommended Posts

I was to post this to addon-discussions but I think here it will be more useful, as this is the "meta-mod" of resources.

There are some resources "duplicated" like oxygen, methane and other. They have different version of themselves as lqdOxygen and Oxygen.

I think an improvement of the current system is implementing a phase/state parameter in the resources indicating the possible states, as solid, liquid or gas, (or more if there are good candidates for it, like plasma). For the name it can use a system of suffixes like adding lqd- or gas- or solid- dynamically to the name, or defining a name for each state. This has the advantage that you can define restrictions by state (in this container you can only hold solid resources, this nuclear engine can work with any fluid, gas or liquid but not solid, this motor uses any plasma resource, this balloon need a gas etc)

For a resource with more than one state, we can define enthalpy/heat of vaporization, of fusion and of sublimation, some of the resources seems to already have it, the real fuel ones. With that we can gain coherence, as in the mods that use resource conversion for changing states, they could simply call for a function based of that enthalpy and a % efficiency. It also could allow for another mods to use for example boil-offs, you could use it for modelling things like the telescope Hitomi (ASTRO-H) launched the other day, one of the instruments it's limited by the refrigeration boil off of the liquid helium (I know realfuels also does this to some extent).

As an example I Will use oxygen, now we have:

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
	name = Oxygen
	density = 0.00000141
	flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
	transfer = PUMP
	isTweakable = true
   	isVisible = true
	unitCost = 0.000055836
	color = 0,1,0	
}

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
    name = LqdOxygen
    density = 0.001141
    unitCost = 0.04564
    hsp = 918 // specific heat capacity (kJ/tonne-K as units) // recalc, mols are for O2 on wiki
    vsp = 213000 // heat of vapourization (KJ/tonne as units)
    flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
    transfer = PUMP
    isTweakable = True
    isVisible = true
    ksparpicon = RealFuels/Resources/ARPIcons/LqdOxygen
}

I'm aiming for changing to (I'm not programmer, so no proper syntax, take as an idea):

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
	name = Oxygen
	isTweakable = True
    isVisible = true	//common paramters
	states = gas,liquid
    vsp = 213000 // heat of vapourization (KJ/tonne as units)
	gas
		density = 0.00000141
		flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
		transfer = PUMP
		unitCost = 0.000055836
		color = 0,1,0	
	liquid
    	density = 0.001141
    	unitCost = 0.04564
    	hsp = 918 // specific heat capacity (kJ/tonne-K as units) // recalc, mols are for O2 on wiki
    	flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
    	transfer = PUMP
    	ksparpicon = RealFuels/Resources/ARPIcons/LqdOxygen
	
}

As a collateral defect, it somewhat makes the transfer parameter obsolete? It looks like it's pump for every fluid and none for any other ones.

If this was already suggested or it shouldn't be here, I'm sorry.

Edited by kunok
it keep messing the tabulation in the code¿?
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Some notes:

  1. Kerbin ice caps are not ice??? What then? There is no guaranteed type "0" (crustal) ice/water at polar caps. 
  2. Tundra means permafrost. And permafrost means guaranteed type "0" (crustal) ice/water. Not as much as pure ice at icecaps, but nevertheless.
  3. ScanSat shows 0% water in Kerbin Water biome (where it is guaranteed to be at 90%abundance). I believe it has something to do with type "1" (oceanic) resource, while ScanSat shows only type "0" (crustal). It's very counterintuitive. I mean, water soaks anything beneath it and if you start to drill underwater, water will drain into your burrow... There should be "crustal" water, at least for the sake of the proper ScanSat display.
  4. We usually tend to see Duna as real Mars counterpart. Then we expect to see CarbonDioxide as type "0" resource for polar caps. They are mostly dry ice IRL.
  5. Same is correct for distant icy planets. We don't know if there will be dry ice (CarbonDioxide) as crustal resource, but it's possible.
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, RoverDude said:

1.1 Pre-Release is up!

0.5.0 - 2016.03.29
------------------
Compatibility with KSP 1.1
Lowered cost of Supplies, Mulch and Fertilizer
 

Download from GitHub:  https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityResourcePack/releases

Is this compatible with 1.0.5? I ask because CKAN wants to overwrite the version I am currently using on 1.0.5?

EDIT : After going to the CKAN thread users are being advised to stay away from updating via CKAN until 1.1 drops.

Edited by John FX
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having a major problem with the M700 scanner on my modded game  that I can't reproduce with stock backup. When I get my rocket to about 5000 meters my scanner disappears and the camera shifts behind the craft. I still will have full control of the rocket but altf12 will start calling my debris and f3 saids every thing is fine .  I've tried in many different configurations of both rockets and satellites with the same results each time, but if I take off the scanner it flies just fine. When I started to try to figure out what was doing this I took out all the USI mods thinking I could knock a big chunk all at once and ran the game and sure of enough the rocket flew fine no problems. The next thing I did was put back in the 000usitools and CRP and Regolith with no other USI mods in and it acted up again so figure it was CRP or Regolith messing with some other mods that I got or maybe I did something wrong.  The other mods that  got are [ Better Science Labs Continued , ContractConfigurator , CustomBarnKit ,  DMagicOrbitalScience , EVE + SVE ,  FieldExperience , FS , KER , LETech ,  MissionControllerEC , ModRocketSys , RealChute , scatterer , SpaceY-Lifters , Strategia , WaypointManager , WiderContractsApp and the MM the came with USI. If anybody can help me or point me the right direction that would be very appreciated by me. and btw it did this both 1183 and the 1196 

 

here is my output log 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvcue2pcc0xbrps/output_log.txt?dl=0

 

And BTW thank you RoverDude for all the hard work that  you put into these mods. 

Thank you 

Edited by ebookah
I'm on windows 10 64 bit 1.1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest update of KSP 1.1 pre-release now has "volume" as part of the PartResource definition. What's the intended use, is that factored into resource converters somehow? I know that CRP has resources of different volumes (RocketParts apparently is a 5-liter resource), but I'm wondering how volume factors into the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2016 at 4:10 PM, Angel-125 said:

The latest update of KSP 1.1 pre-release now has "volume" as part of the PartResource definition. What's the intended use, is that factored into resource converters somehow? I know that CRP has resources of different volumes (RocketParts apparently is a 5-liter resource), but I'm wondering how volume factors into the game.

A partial answer from the latest devnotes:

Bob (Roverdude) spent some time rebalancing the Xenon and Monopropellant tanks, who had weird wet/dry ratios and volumes, resulting in fuel compression ratios ranging from 75% to 325%. The rebalance generally results in a slight loss of capacity for the smaller tanks, and a small gain for the larger tanks, though they’ll also see their dry mass increased. We’ll also be leveraging the new volume property of resources, and adjusting Xenon Gas to be 100ml per unit (LFO and Monoprop are currently at 5L per unit).  You may recall we added a volume property to the resource definition (expressed in liters per unit) to account for cases like this, and to make things easier for modders that work on fuel switching mods. We’re now taking full advantage of this new system.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys

I'm using KSP 1.1 (1196) with USI Life Support and a few other USI mods. Also got Kerbal Engineer and X Science. 

I'm not able to see or manipulate Replacement Parts from any container that in fact has Replacement Parts in it. Also, Interstellar Fuel Switch doesn't seem to work with CRP 0.5.0. 

Kind regards, 

Felix

Edited by DrGonzo94
Added versiosn, corrected grammar
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DrGonzo94 said:

Hi guys

I'm using KSP 1.1 (1196) with USI Life Support and a few other USI mods. Also got Kerbal Engineer and X Science. 

I'm not able to see or manipulate Replacement Parts from any container that in fact has Replacement Parts in it. Also, Interstellar Fuel Switch doesn't seem to work with CRP 0.5.0. 

Kind regards, 

Felix

Felix,

Replacement parts are a hidden resource, you fill up/manipulate them by using the "perform maintenance" function on EVA.  That being said, replacement parts are part of MKS, not CRP, so this isn't really the appropriate thread.  Similar with Interstellar fuel switch.  Pretty much all CRP does is define additional resources, and where they might be found.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, passinglurker said:

So basically monoprop is now consistently on par or worse than lfo storage right? Or is my fuzzy at a glance math way off?

 

11 hours ago, passinglurker said:

I appreciate sane reballances like this but I'm curious as to why they gave monoprop a worse mass ratio. Laymans perspective tells me there would be less bulk heads and plumbing only holding one thing. So is this a game play choice? Or being realistic about something I'm not thinking of? Etc.

In the end I can live with this though it's better than an arbitrary scattering of stats.

 

On 4/9/2016 at 1:42 AM, ebookah said:

I'm having a major problem with the M700 scanner on my modded game  that I can't reproduce with stock backup. When I get my rocket to about 5000 meters my scanner disappears and the camera shifts behind the craft. I still will have full control of the rocket but altf12 will start calling my debris and f3 saids every thing is fine .  I've tried in many different configurations of both rockets and satellites with the same results each time, but if I take off the scanner it flies just fine. When I started to try to figure out what was doing this I took out all the USI mods thinking I could knock a big chunk all at once and ran the game and sure of enough the rocket flew fine no problems. The next thing I did was put back in the 000usitools and CRP and Regolith with no other USI mods in and it acted up again so figure it was CRP or Regolith messing with some other mods that I got or maybe I did something wrong.  The other mods that  got are [ Better Science Labs Continued , ContractConfigurator , CustomBarnKit ,  DMagicOrbitalScience , EVE + SVE ,  FieldExperience , FS , KER , LETech ,  MissionControllerEC , ModRocketSys , RealChute , scatterer , SpaceY-Lifters , Strategia , WaypointManager , WiderContractsApp and the MM the came with USI. If anybody can help me or point me the right direction that would be very appreciated by me. and btw it did this both 1183 and the 1196 

 

here is my output log 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvcue2pcc0xbrps/output_log.txt?dl=0

 

And BTW thank you RoverDude for all the hard work that  you put into these mods. 

Thank you 

First - you're welcome :)

Second - If you're using Regolith, then you have a REALLY old version of it since it was deprecated with 1.0 - given this mod is just config files, something else is probably causing the issue.

On 4/11/2016 at 10:10 AM, Angel-125 said:

The latest update of KSP 1.1 pre-release now has "volume" as part of the PartResource definition. What's the intended use, is that factored into resource converters somehow? I know that CRP has resources of different volumes (RocketParts apparently is a 5-liter resource), but I'm wondering how volume factors into the game.

See Streetwind's note - essentially it's there to be used for tank switching and as reference data for modders.  The stock converters can now optionally work with mass vs. units (which is not relevalt to volume but tossing that out there).

56 minutes ago, DrGonzo94 said:

Hi guys

I'm using KSP 1.1 (1196) with USI Life Support and a few other USI mods. Also got Kerbal Engineer and X Science. 

I'm not able to see or manipulate Replacement Parts from any container that in fact has Replacement Parts in it. Also, Interstellar Fuel Switch doesn't seem to work with CRP 0.5.0. 

Kind regards, 

Felix

As noted below, this is by design :)  Regarding IFS - you should ask over in that thread as it is going to be a bug on that end (CRP did not change much at all with 1.1)

31 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Felix,

Replacement parts are a hidden resource, you fill up/manipulate them by using the "perform maintenance" function on EVA.  That being said, replacement parts are part of MKS, not CRP, so this isn't really the appropriate thread.  Similar with Interstellar fuel switch.  Pretty much all CRP does is define additional resources, and where they might be found.

Thanks @goldenpsp for helping with the cat herding :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2016 at 9:04 AM, RoverDude said:

First - you're welcome 

Second - If you're using Regolith, then you have a REALLY old version of it since it was deprecated with 1.0 - given this mod is just config files, something else is probably causing the issue.

 

Thank you I redownloaded your mods and it works now. I think i got Regolith from AMT. I guess I went a little download happy there. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just wondering if CRP will be updating the included resource definitions with the definition for volume?

I'm currently manually curating a list of volumes for resources that my mod supports, but am aiming to open up that supported list to 'any resource installed'; the one sticking point being that I need volume data in order to properly calculate the number of units of a resource for a given volume of tank (and would prefer to not make users add/edit configs to add the volume data manually).

Thanks in advance for any answer/information (even if that answer is just 'no') :)

21 hours ago, chrisl said:

This may have been answered early on but what exactly does "density" equate to?  Is it the number of grams per liter or something like that?

density = the mass (in tons) per unit of the resource

So, 200 units of LiquidFuel with a density of 0.0005 = 1 ton of resource.

Edited by Shadowmage
Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted over in the KER thread, but figured I'd post here as well. My install of KER (1.1.0.2) was going nuts when installed with Interstellar Extended (1.8.11). It would do everything from ignoring all but the last stage, to doing the blink/recalculate thing over and over, to not displaying any stats when actually flying.I finally tracked down the offending incompatibility to CRP version 0.5.0 included with Interstellar 1.8.11, as when I uninstalled that one package KER was happy again. The only other mods I have in place are EVE, Planet Shine, and Scatterer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, fatherdoctor said:

I posted over in the KER thread, but figured I'd post here as well. My install of KER (1.1.0.2) was going nuts when installed with Interstellar Extended (1.8.11). It would do everything from ignoring all but the last stage, to doing the blink/recalculate thing over and over, to not displaying any stats when actually flying.I finally tracked down the offending incompatibility to CRP version 0.5.0 included with Interstellar 1.8.11, as when I uninstalled that one package KER was happy again. The only other mods I have in place are EVE, Planet Shine, and Scatterer.

Odd considering crp is just a bunch of config files with resource definitions so it doesn't really "do" anything on its own. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2016 at 5:48 PM, Shadowmage said:

I was just wondering if CRP will be updating the included resource definitions with the definition for volume?

I'm currently manually curating a list of volumes for resources that my mod supports, but am aiming to open up that supported list to 'any resource installed'; the one sticking point being that I need volume data in order to properly calculate the number of units of a resource for a given volume of tank (and would prefer to not make users add/edit configs to add the volume data manually).

Thanks in advance for any answer/information (even if that answer is just 'no') :)

density = the mass (in tons) per unit of the resource

So, 200 units of LiquidFuel with a density of 0.0005 = 1 ton of resource.

Yep, I'll be adding volume to the ones I curate, and it will be up to the other mods to submit pull requests for their changes.

56 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Odd considering crp is just a bunch of config files with resource definitions so it doesn't really "do" anything on its own. 

You must have some other conflict - as noted, this is just resource configs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I'm trying to manually download a set of mods to create a modded career run (since CKAN is a bit of a mess right now) and I'm wondering what this does exactly for a normal player.

I understand that it's a tool used by mod makers to standardize the resources that the mods use, but... is it needed as a dependency for anything else?  Like the Community Tech Tree for example.  I checked in CKAN but it doesn't show any relationships it might have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PTNLemay said:

Hello, I'm trying to manually download a set of mods to create a modded career run (since CKAN is a bit of a mess right now) and I'm wondering what this does exactly for a normal player.

I understand that it's a tool used by mod makers to standardize the resources that the mods use, but... is it needed as a dependency for anything else?  Like the Community Tech Tree for example.  I checked in CKAN but it doesn't show any relationships it might have.

Doesn't do anything for a normal player.  It is only a dependency for mods that well, make use of it.  Most mods that have some sort of IRSU element beyond stock ore have a good chance of making use of this.  Most modders that have this as a dependency will outline that in their thread, or more often bundle it with their download.

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...