Snacks Life Support Parts by Whyren v5 (8/31/2014)

Whyren

Your stations look great! I'm not much of an architect. Just finally got a station up around Kerbin. I'll have to upload a pic tomorrow. I actually posted these parts a day later because I spent the first night trying to land a large greenhouse at my Minmus land base for a shot to put in the OP. As I deorbited the greenhouse, half the engines and fuel tore free and flew off into space leaving me with a terrible TWR and an upside down command pod to steer from. After a few spectacular crashes I gave up and took a shot on the launch pad. :)

I should have internet back again tomorrow and I'll upload v2. In v2, the lighted greenhouse will be gone and the small and large greenhouses will work as I explained above: supplementing electricity needed with sunlight gathered. The snacktainers will be heavier, using Apollo13's numbers. The small container will also be KAS-grabbable. Also, the Snack Purpose Logistics Module will be included. For now it is a half-size hitch hiker but I'll see about re-skinning it. Anyone who doesn't have a robotic arm can slap on a stock probe core and some RCS ports to move the module to the station. If anyone has any additional feedback or requests, let me know.

Well if all you need is a 1.25 part that happens to hold snacks there is always this mod ;) though there is always room in ones partlist for a spiffy chrome Multi-Purpose Logistics Module analog.

I cooked up v3 and was wondering if anyone wanted to help me test it out? I created a part module to go with the greenhouses. What it does is make it so that when you go and do other things, when you switch back to your base the amount of snacks that should have been generated while you were gone is calculated and added to the vessel. I removed the "Gimme Snacks" workaround.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20886172/Snacks%20Parts%20By%20Whyren/SnackPartsByWhyrenv3Beta.zip

Can I make a request for stackable Snack containers?

v2 includes the Snack Purpose Logistics Module, which should work for the 1.25m stacks. The stock crew can is what you want for 2.5m stacks. Is there anything else you had in mind?

I found some cool inline tanks by zzz, so I'm turning them into snacktainers for all those requesting inline storage. Here is a preview of what is to come:

euVJAdH.jpg

I put some thought into balancing and decided to scale the mass and contents of these parts to the hitch hiker mod so that there isn't an advantage either way. (My goal is to make it so we can put as many hiker cans as we feel our kerbals need for living space but to be able to have long missions without hitch hiker spamming.) That means:

LARGE tank: 1000 snacks, 3.125 kg

Hitch Hiker (stock): 800 snacks, 2.5kg

MEDIUM tank: 400 snacks, 1.25kg

SMALL tank: 100 snacks, 0.3125kg

LARGE radial: 100 snacks, 0.3125kg

MEDIUM radial: 50 snacks, 0.15625kg

SMALL radial: 25 snacks, 0.078125kg

I'll probably also adjust the scale of the medium and small radial boxes to make them seem more like they are each half the size of the next box up.

Also, my brother has some passing interest in 3d modelling, so he is going to be trying his hand at modelling the Leonardo MPLM for us to replace the resized hiker can that is in there now. In the meantime, several of those small tanks slapped together look like they would make a cool looking module.

Let me know if you guys have any feedback. Hopefully v4 will be up later today. Also, does anyone know how to change the name of the thread?

PS: I'm also going to make the colors match between the tanks and boxes.

Edited by Whyren
PS

I could set the greenhouse to always use electricity to generate snacks via artificial lighting but opening the shutters in ideal conditions would generate exactly the same amount of power to offset the drain. As the sun sets, the "lights get turned back on" and electricity starts draining again. How does that sound?

DOO EET. Please.

I cooked up v3 and was wondering if anyone wanted to help me test it out? I created a part module to go with the greenhouses. What it does is make it so that when you go and do other things, when you switch back to your base the amount of snacks that should have been generated while you were gone is calculated and added to the vessel. I removed the "Gimme Snacks" workaround.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20886172/Snacks%20Parts%20By%20Whyren/SnackPartsByWhyrenv3Beta.zip

About to do some testing. I might even send one of these aloft today!

v2 and v3 are already set up this way. Let me know how it works for you! Wouldn't mind seeing a screenshot if you get something up in the air.

This is a work in progress, but it's getting near the end of its development. So far, so good!

BTW, do you plan on tweaking the texture? It could be more stockalike....

u4gbp+

This is a work in progress, but it's getting near the end of its development. So far, so good!

BTW, do you plan on tweaking the texture? It could be more stockalike....

http://img42.com/u4gbp+

Cool station! I like the habitat pack, too. You'll need more greenhouses if you fill all those rooms with kerbals, though!

I agree with you on the stock alike stuff, but I really know nothing about modelling and texturing. Technically you can't steal things from the public domain, but that is exactly what I did for all the models in this pack.

I can't help but notice that the containers look exactly like the Antimatter containers for the Interstellar mod.

Yeah, those are them. I was browsing the models zzz has posted since he released them all to the public domain. These fit best, I think.

Playing with vers 4. Looking good. I just got back into Blender->Unity->KSP modeling. May soon create in-line containers that are original vice the anti-matter containers. We'll see. No way can I create something as awesome as the Greenhouses.

Thanks for the shout-out on the OP. Very kind of you.

I play with FinePrint, so I'll add that CFG file. You may wish to contact malkuth of Mission Controller Extended fame; that's another fine contracts mod.

Playing with vers 4. Looking good. I just got back into Blender->Unity->KSP modeling. May soon create in-line containers that are original vice the anti-matter containers. We'll see. No way can I create something as awesome as the Greenhouses.

Thanks for the shout-out on the OP. Very kind of you.

I play with FinePrint, so I'll add that CFG file. You may wish to contact malkuth of Mission Controller Extended fame; that's another fine contracts mod.

That would be awesome but I already acknowledged you in the OP so I have nothing to pay you with. :)

Cool station! I like the habitat pack, too. You'll need more greenhouses if you fill all those rooms with kerbals, though!

I agree with you on the stock alike stuff, but I really know nothing about modelling and texturing. Technically you can't steal things from the public domain, but that is exactly what I did for all the models in this pack.

Yeah, like I said, it's a work in progress. So I plan on sending up more greenhouses.

I don't know much about modelling and texturing as well, but I'm tempted to take a stab. Maybe not until after October though--RL is getting busy.

Regardless, I'm loving this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.