Snacks Life Support Parts by Whyren v5 (8/31/2014)

Whyren

I received a request to create a Snacks wedge for Universal Storage.

So I've created a alternative part.cfg file to turn our US_IFI pack to use snacks.

You can find a zip file in my public OneDrive folder

http://1drv.ms/1q9TXZ1

It contains a set of installations and a part.cfg file that turns the US_IFI wedge into a wedge full of snacks.

You'll need to install the US Core pack and the US IFI pack, then follow the instructions included with zip file linked above.

A little animated refrigerator I whipped-up to store snacks. It uses electricity. I "borrowed" the vegetation texture to maintain consistency. If you want to add it, you can.

Snack Refrigeration

Sidebar: my first animated mod

Will try that out in a bit--I'm curious to see how it might be integrated into SkyPad 3.

So I've created a alternative part.cfg file to turn our US_IFI pack to use snacks.

It contains a set of installations and a part.cfg file that turns the US_IFI wedge into a wedge full of snacks.

You'll need to install the US Core pack and the US IFI pack, then follow the instructions included with zip file linked above.

That was me making the request--thank you, Paul! This is awesome!

My only feedback is I noticed the Snacks amount is set to 100, but when I compare it to Whyren's Snacks containers, the size suggests a lower number like 25. (Then again, I can pretend these are dehydrated, and use the Universal Storage fuel cell to create water for rehydrating.)

As Whyren only made parts for Snacks, I'm going to contact tgruetzm, who created the Snacks resource, and let him know about this.

My only feedback is I noticed the Snacks amount is set to 100, but when I compare it to Whyren's Snacks containers, the size suggests a lower number like 25. (Then again, I can pretend these are dehydrated, and use the Universal Storage fuel cell to create water for rehydrating.)

Yeah, based on how I was balancing the parts this is pretty light per snack right now. Balancing snacks is kind of tricky because when making a container for most things the resource itself adds weight but snacks are pretty much weightless. The world has plenty of room for ways to balance snacking, but I'd suggest either upping the mass to 0.3125kg or downing the number of snacks to 10 to anyone who actually cares. :)

@Paul, thanks for sharing. Your mod has always stood out to me as exceptionally beautiful.

Can you make it so it is easier to add the snacks contracts? I just get a page in notepad font with the code and don't know what to do with it.

Instead of clicking the link, right click it and choose "Save As..." Save the file into the FinePrint folder in your GameData directory. It will ask if you want to overwrite the existing file. Say yes and you should be good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NOTE: The greenhouses don't work while the ship is not loaded. Since these are meant for permanent stations and bases, I added a "Gimme Snacks!" button to generate snacks very quickly if your base is getting low because you've been flying other missions.

Is this still true? May I recommend a solution? Store the UT when the part is unloaded (or update it every time the part generates snacks), and then when the part is reloaded you can compare the stored time with the current UT to see how much time has passed. Now you can immediately generate the snacks to make up the difference. It's a naive approach because it doesn't consider sunlight while the part is unloaded, but just about all craft see sunlight for at least 50% of their orbit so you can use that figure for snack generation while away.

Is this still true? May I recommend a solution? Store the UT when the part is unloaded (or update it every time the part generates snacks), and then when the part is reloaded you can compare the stored time with the current UT to see how much time has passed. Now you can immediately generate the snacks to make up the difference. It's a naive approach because it doesn't consider sunlight while the part is unloaded, but just about all craft see sunlight for at least 50% of their orbit so you can use that figure for snack generation while away.

Yeah, the latest version works like you described.

• 2 months later...

I haven't tried Snacks in 0.90.0 yet but I can install it tonight if nobody beats me to it.

Update: I wasn't able to do a proper test, but it appears Snacks runs in 0.90.0 without errors.

Tonight I'm going to set up a testing rig for both Snacks consumption and generation via the greenhouses, and see if they behave as I'd expect.

Edited by LitaAlto

• 2 weeks later...

they ask for log in mean i have to add user name and password too many log-in no way...

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else had the problem where the 2.5 m inline can isn't showing up in their tech tree or VAB/SPH? Its weird because it's the only part that doesn't load up (and it's the one I want most for resupply runs. :/ )

Running 0.90

Other Mods: FAR, DRE, KER, KAS, RT2, Active Texture Man., Procedural Fairings, ScanSAT, Station Science, Snacks (of course), Tweakscale (unfortunately no config for this pack :P)

• 1 month later...

Howdi,

As I am not ready to work on my TREE I will also check it sort of...nice additions nice graphics...I have my BIOMASS and coding done for resources; I am sure I can make some modifications and include yer models; as for funcitonality I will check that as well...live on stream if I ever get to it this morning haha !!

Cmdr Zeta

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.