[0.25] FireCrew - Fire, Retrain or Retire unwanted crew [October 28]

xEvilReeperx

A little mod to address a little problem

Javascript is disabled. View full album

You can now fire, retire or retrain unassigned crew members through the Astronaut Complex interface. If you need to dismiss a lot of them, you can press the control key and click the associated button to bypass the confirmation dialog.

Retired crew can be brought back out of retirement at any time

Configuration

By default, FireCrew will use the "MultiOption" setting in the screenshot as shown above; each crew entry will have all three options displayed. You can alternately use a single-option style which will limit you to a single option that can be configured for one of the three choices. Edit config.cfg if you prefer the second style

Download

Source

License: Public Domain

Important Note: The way crew are actually fired has been changed. Due to some technical reasons, outright deleting crew as the first version did can cause problems saving the game if the crew in question had an achievements-type entry (first EVA etc). This has been changed so that "fired" crew are considered by the game to be dead and the user interface will hide them from you. Let me know if you encounter any issues

Changelog:

Version 1.3.0 (October 28)

• Fixed a bug that would cause Kerbals from rescue contracts to appear in "assigned" list
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the astronaut complex from working properly when accessed within the editor scenes

Version 1.2.0 (October 20)

• Updated for 0.25

Edited by xEvilReeperx

Should it charge player a bit for breaking the contract (that never exists when you employ a kerbalnaut :P )

Should be closely tied in with a mod like Kerbal Economy Enhancements, this mod here is also used by players playing without salaries. :wink:

Do they show up as dead? Do they go back into the applicant pool? Or do they just go away?

They're just gone, shame of failure. It may be possible to put them back into the applicant pool if that'd be preferable though. I'll add it as an option in the next version.

If you fire everyone will the names regenerate?

It's as if they were never there, so it's possible you'll eventually come across a new one with a name you'd already seen (but new stats).

YAY!

Another awesome but simple mod. I too would prefer if it stashed them somewhere rather than deleting them outright. Perhaps not in the persistence file, in the interest of keeping it at a manageable size, but maybe in another file next to it? E.g. "RetiredCrew.sfs" comprised of a crew list similar to the one in persistent.sfs.

Instructions unclear. Downloaded this to solve the problem of unwanted launchpad fires and instead of forming a fire department, my launch complex is now deserted and empty. There's nobody left to even unroll a garden hose out to the launch pad. The fire continues to rage unabated. :( Rated 0 out of 10. Would not recommend to friends.

(just kidding, this looks cool Now we need for them to have salaries so we have more reasons to fire them)

YAY!

Another awesome but simple mod. I too would prefer if it stashed them somewhere rather than deleting them outright. Perhaps not in the persistence file, in the interest of keeping it at a manageable size, but maybe in another file next to it? E.g. "RetiredCrew.sfs" comprised of a crew list similar to the one in persistent.sfs.

Idea: Store the deleted data in a SCENARIO node. They're easy to create. Then you could re-insert them into the applicant pool. Or perhaps just move them to the applicant pool to begin with.... there's a number of ways you could go with that.

Edited by Starwaster

Is it possible to put them in the dead pool with reason "retired" I use final frontier and would like to not loose ribbons earned.

Yes, this can be an option. I'll probably add a separate retired tab rather than relabel them in the "lost" panel. I thought about renaming it to "Lost & Retired" but it just doesn't sound right. Might as well go the extra mile to make it right, right? :)

For some strange reason I can't get this to work. I go into the Astronaut complex to fire Bill Bob and Jeb, but there is no button or anything to indicate that they can be fired. Hired another crew member to test functionality and I can't fire him either.

They can only be fired from the "available" tab -- you're trying it there? Press Alt+F2 and look at the log right after entering the astronaut complex and let me know if you see anything that sounds suspicious (or any null reference exceptions)

They can only be fired from the "available" tab -- you're trying it there? Press Alt+F2 and look at the log right after entering the astronaut complex and let me know if you see anything that sounds suspicious (or any null reference exceptions)

I'll take a look again, and let you know, thanks.

EDIT: reloading KSP seems to have fixed the issue. not sure what the problem was, but if it crops up again I'll snag the log.

Edited by Taki117

I hit a little snag that delayed me (but was solved this morning). I'm at a crossroads though. What would you guys prefer:

1. a config file that lets you specify which type of dismissal to do when the button is clicked ("fire" - gone forever, "retrain" - back to applicant pool, "retire" - put into a new retired tab)
  2. Or, in the popup that appears after clicking the red X, put all three options into the dialog
  3. Or, instead of the red X button, add new buttons for each option directly into the list

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.