The Linux Thread!

I've never tried using the numpad with MechJeb....next time I play I will and post back.

IIRC this issue cropped up with 0.24.2, numpad produces null characters with numberlock on. True for stock and therefore passed to mods. Seems I can't find the bug report anymore, but it's certainly still an issue for me. I can map the numberpad keys to action groups as a workaround and the camera controls work fine with numlock off.

Needless to say I too would be interested in a solution...

EDIT: After playing around, I just needed to install libasound2:i386. Thanks for the help!

You really should be using the 64-bit version of KSP on Linux; no reason not to if your system is 64-bit anyway.

And that means you can uninstall all those :i386 compatibility libraries.

They come in handy for WINE and other non-x64 Steam games ran from outside of Steam. Besides, it's not like they take up that much space.

I independently discovered the new offsets for 0.25.0 (I didn't know about this thread at the time), and wrote a simple bash script to apply the patch after doing some (very) basic sanity checking.

#!/usr/bin/env bash
if [[ ( # check the offsets with xxd, this is only a rudimentary test!!! We should actually be looking for 0xSomeHugeHexStringThatICantRememberRightNow
$(xxd -s +0x0099F587 -l 1 KSP.x86_64 | awk '{print $2;}') -eq '01'
)&&(
$(xxd -s +0x0099F58C -l 1 KSP.x86_64 | awk '{print $2;}') -eq '01'
) ]] ; then
# do both patches at once
printf %s\\n '99f587: 00' '99f58c: 00' | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64
else
echo 'not matched'
fi

Keyboard entries not shielded by UI.

When I type into a mod-supplied window, the pressed keys are also used by the staging UI. Example: I type in "123 m/s" in the entry field of the Remote Tech flight computer and the action groups 1,2,3, are activated and then the flight mode is switched to map mode.

I am running KSP64 on Ubuntu12.04, Running RO/RSS mods. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Keyboard entries not shielded by UI.

When I type into a mod-supplied window, the pressed keys are also used by the staging UI. Example: I type in "123 m/s" in the entry field of the Remote Tech flight computer and the action groups 1,2,3, are activated and then the flight mode is switched to map mode.

I am running KSP64 on Ubuntu12.04, Running RO/RSS mods. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Unfortunately this is not exclusive to Linux. I had the same issue with infernal robotics on Windows.

I've never tried using the numpad with MechJeb....next time I play I will and post back.

What do you mean by the action key? Not sure which one that is.

Technically this thread is for unmodded KSP only and you're running a modded install.

As Action key, I mean the thing described as "action key 1...9" in the settings.

When you, for example, want to fold/unfold a solar panel by pressing "1" (the key above the first letter, on a qwerty keybord by default it is the key with "1 !" printed on it and on an azerty keyboard it should be the key with "& 1" but it doesn't work).

Romn: Pulled a muscle in my back and shoulder 10 hours ago and haven't played KSP at all. Hard to sit in my computer chair without wanting to rip my arm off.

No worry, I am in travel and wouldn't not be able to access to my linux machine for a while. I wish you to recover well.

You really should be using the 64-bit version of KSP on Linux; no reason not to if your system is 64-bit anyway.

I initially assumed that Linux x64 was as unstable as Win64, but this is not the case. I've started using x64 now, and everything is working, although performance is rather dreadful (any general tips?), despite the fact my system is a GeForce 770 (340.46 proprietary drivers) and an i7-3770k.

As Action key, I mean the thing described as "action key 1...9" in the settings.

When you, for example, want to fold/unfold a solar panel by pressing "1" (the key above the first letter, on a qwerty keybord by default it is the key with "1 !" printed on it and on an azerty keyboard it should be the key with "& 1" but it doesn't work).

No worry, I am in travel and wouldn't not be able to access to my linux machine for a while. I wish you to recover well.

Hmm. That is odd...action groups work just fine for me with my qwerty keyboard. And I thought action groups are what you meant...just wanted to clarify.

Do us a favor. Play KSP, hit a few action keys, and post both of the logs. Maybe we'll get lucky and find something in it.

Perhaps try Action Groups Extended if all else fails, it may help (guessing at that, but it's a mod I use regularly).

It was the damnedest thing with my shoulder...all I did was press down with my left arm to stand up and it was out for a few days. Feeling better now so I can actually sit in my chair and use my PC for more than Netflix.

I initially assumed that Linux x64 was as unstable as Win64, but this is not the case. I've started using x64 now, and everything is working, although performance is rather dreadful (any general tips?), despite the fact my system is a GeForce 770 (340.46 proprietary drivers) and an i7-3770k.

See the OP of The Other Linux Thread under modded installs. On the bottom are some start-up scripts for KSP that are optimized for both Nvidia GPUs (but work just fine for AMD GPUs) and multicore CPUs.

Another tip, don't lauch KSP from within Steam -- you'll be using old Ubuntu 12 libs when you'll be better off using your native system libs from starting KSP outside of Steam. Unless you're using something likes Arch/Manjaro's Steam-Native package, never start Linux KSP from within Steam.

Last thing, the more up-to-date your OS, the better KSP should run (in my experiences at least; and why I recommend Manjaro over Ubuntu these days).

I'm trying to run the game at 3240x1920 on 3 monitors.

Using the radeon driver. Tried with fglrx but no difference.

If I "force" the resolution through the settings.cfg the game uses the correct resolution but still only fills one display (middle) instead of all 3.

Any ideas on what I can try?

lshw

*-display        
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Cypress XT [Radeon HD 5870]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: 00
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
resources: irq:59 memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f7c20000-f7c3ffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:f7c00000-f7c1ffff

xrandr

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3240 x 1920, maximum 8192 x 8192
DisplayPort-0 connected 1080x1920+1080+0 left (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 509mm x 286mm
1920x1080 60.0*+
1280x1024 75.0 60.0
1152x864 75.0
1024x768 75.1 60.0
800x600 75.0 60.3
640x480 75.0 60.0
720x400 70.1
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DVI-0 connected 1080x1920+2160+0 left (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 509mm x 286mm
1920x1080 60.0*+
1280x1024 75.0 60.0
1152x864 75.0
1024x768 75.1 60.0
800x600 75.0 60.3
640x480 75.0 60.0
720x400 70.1
DVI-1 connected primary 1080x1920+0+0 left (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 509mm x 286mm
1920x1080 60.0*+
1280x1024 75.0 60.0
1152x864 75.0
1024x768 75.1 60.0
800x600 75.0 60.3
640x480 75.0 60.0
720x400 70.1

EDIT: I am a giddy goat. Fixed by adding a output in Compiz with the correct resolution.

I'm now upgrading kernel and to AMD 14.9 drivers to hopefully increase performance. With the tearing fix in amdcccle on it was pretty sluggish...

Edited by Eiktyrner

@Eiktyrner

If I'm reading this correctly, you're trying to triple monitor with an HD 5870. Unless your CPU hits the 4ghz+ range, I don't think you'll have much success with that. My CPU runs just below 3ghz and struggles to play KSP at 1080p on a single monitor with a GPU that's a few generations newer than yours. That Tear Free setting in CCC is just Vsync on crack and really isn't worth the performance hit when playing games. It's fine for watching movies, web browsing....anything but games; unless you can run that game with a 60+ FPS constant before enabling Tear Free because you can lose half your framerate with it.

KSP on Linux runs slower than KSP on Windows on the same system. Unless you have a really good system with resources to spare, which to me would be a quad core or better CPU (freq really doesn't matter for this tweak) and 8GB+ ram, things like Compiz, KDE, XFCE's Compositing tick box, Unity, and Gnome 3 shouldn't be used. If you have a quad core or better, you can always force KSP off the main thread and to two less used cores to mitigate system CPU cycles used. See my script posted at the bottom of the OP on The Other Linux Thread for more details.

If you have a file system like BTRFS or ZFS, disable compression on the partition with KSP. BTRFS compression sucks anyways...at least when compared to compression with ZFS (speed and amount compressed).

On the drivers -- only bother with the Radeon driver if you're running a 3.17 kernel with Xorg/Xserver 1.16 and Mesa 10.3+ (those combined have some good Radeon enhancements). If you don't meet that, stick with Catalyst 14.9. I can already tell you're running a 3.15- kernel with Xorg 1.15, probably Ubuntu 14.04 as well, just by you saying you're using the 14.9 driver. Without patches, 14.9 only runs up to kernel 3.15 (maybe 3.16) and isn't or can't be patched for Xserver 1.16. There is a Catalyst driver for Ubuntu 14.10 based on Catalyst 14.6 that does support 3.16 kernels (3.17 with AUR patches) and Xserver 1.16. That Ubuntu FGLRX is what I'm using with Manjaro (it's Manjaro's default Catalyst driver) because it's the only Catalyst driver that supports bleeding-edge systems. Here's a link to Arch's Catalyst-Test driver if you feel the need to patch it manually so you can run Catalyst on a bleeding edge system.

Thanks for the info!

I'm on a i7 2600k at 4ghz.

I will just switch to Arch and patch manually. Such a mess with Ubuntu...

Agreed and why I ended up ditching Ubuntu....for the hundredth time.

You don't even have to patch manually with Arch. Add in the archlinuxfr repo for yaourt, and it's as easy as "pacman -S yaourt" followed by "yaourt -S catalyst-test". Much easier than doing it manually from the AUR with pacman and buildpkg.

Manjaro is Easy-Mode Arch Linux. GUI Installer, click, click, click, done. Also has a GUI package manager with AUR support (do not use the GPU drivers or Kernels from the AUR with Manjaro; breaks mhwd, Manjaro's kernel and driver installer). If you like Arch but don't feel like doing everything "The Arch Way" or from scratch, Manjaro is a decent alternative. Ditto with Arch Bang, though it's pure Arch so you'll just get an easy install and have to know what you're doing afterwards.

If you've ever ran Arch and broke you entire system with a "pacman -Syu" that forced you to start over, you'll appreciate Manjaro snapshotting Arch and fixing it ahead of time.

EDIT: If you go with Manjaro 8.10 XFCE, on first boot you need to fire up a terminal as root and run "pacman -Syyuu" to fix a few broke things since the installer is a bit old (haven't ran one of the newer RC isos for the upcoming releases).

Gah....just got some updates that require an hour+ for compiling (wine-rt and some LXQT git packages from the AUR...I need to add the pipelight patches to wine-rt...not today cause I feel lazy).

Edited by skeevy

See the OP of The Other Linux Thread under modded installs. On the bottom are some start-up scripts for KSP that are optimized for both Nvidia GPUs (but work just fine for AMD GPUs) and multicore CPUs.

Another tip, don't lauch KSP from within Steam -- you'll be using old Ubuntu 12 libs when you'll be better off using your native system libs from starting KSP outside of Steam. Unless you're using something likes Arch/Manjaro's Steam-Native package, never start Linux KSP from within Steam.

Last thing, the more up-to-date your OS, the better KSP should run (in my experiences at least; and why I recommend Manjaro over Ubuntu these days).

Thanks for the advice! After using the scripts (I don't have the steam version, so launching outside of steam was easy), the game runs better, except is still lags like crazy every time I rotate the camera. But it is certainly playable, even with my full compliment of mods.

I'll still probably be sticking with Ubuntu for the time being, since I already know it and don't have time to learn another distro at the moment, but I will try to update to 14.10 for the improved kernel, etc. And I'll keep Manjaro in mind for when the next distribution upgrade the forces a re-install comes around.

@skeevy

Do you happen to know how I do the "one big output" in XFCE like I asked about before (and solved with Compiz)?

See post #120 on the page before.

Here is the answer I found for Compiz http://askubuntu.com/questions/73573/how-to-maximise-a-window-across-two-monitors

But I would prefer not to use Compiz if I can avoid it...

Multimonitor isn't really my thing. I haven't ran multimonitor since Win2K because it was weird having a 19" 1280x1024 LCD MM'd with a 42" 1080p screen or that same 19" LCD with a 17" CRT @ 1024x768 (remember when x768 was the cutting edge, top of the line HD resolution?).

Did a bit of Googling and found multiple XFCE solutions. If you're running the latest XFCE version, it has multimonitor support built into it. Just go to XFCE Settings>Display to find them; located at "Start">Settings>Settings Manager>Display & "Start">Settings>Display on my system.

XFCE Display Settings

disper

arandr

AMDCCCLE

If you have to use a command (or a script) like xrandr, just remember to set it as a start up option. That's in the same settings menu as Display, just scroll down a bit to Session and Startup.

If you're running the latest XFCE version, it has multimonitor support built into it.

Thanks but that is not what I need. I get the multi-monitor support all fine and it behaves as you would expect for running a desktop. Where windows stick to their own screen and maximize accordingly. I need the opposite where it thinks it's just one big window.

Ah well, maybe I should just be happy with one monitor instead. Such a shame when it's running perfectly on three in windows without any lag.

Multimonitor for people without techknowledge

This is the way I get KSP to run on 1.5 screens: Enable multimonitor on Unity, then start KSP. Klick to make it full screen. (It annoyingly only enlarges to one physical screen, ignoring the nice, large virtual screen of 3840x1080.)

Then klick to make it small again, and then, magically, you can just drag it accross the physical screen boundary. I usually adjust to about 3000x1040.

not elegant. But works for me. Ubuntu 12.04, Unity desktop.

Thanks but that is not what I need. I get the multi-monitor support all fine and it behaves as you would expect for running a desktop. Where windows stick to their own screen and maximize accordingly. I need the opposite where it thinks it's just one big window.

Ah well, maybe I should just be happy with one monitor instead. Such a shame when it's running perfectly on three in windows without any lag.

I'll look into it on and off throughout the next few days. I don't have the ability to run two monitors like that...my only two are my 42" 1080p TV (main monitor) and an old 1280x1024 (I think, been a few years) LCD 17" monitor...so the best I can do is Google and provide links. If I get the chance (and find a spare HDMI cable) I'll lower my main monitor's resolution down to match my old LCD monitor and experiment around with it.

You should be able to tweak xorg.conf mixed with some xrandr magic to accomplish this; probably have to add in some virtual desktop modes into xorg.conf.

Been a long time, but I did manage to get it working with Ubuntu 9 (or 10) with my old laptop, but that laptop really sucked and the onboard intel GPU didn't like doing it, so I only bothered with it for maybe two days 5 or 6 years ago.

EDIT: This link may help with some of the xorg stuff

I'm surprised the Xinerama settings in AMDCCCLE don't automagically do this for you. It shouldn't be any more than to configure it all in CCC & reboot.

Edited by skeevy

I borrowed a GTX 670 from work. I must say that the nvidia driver is pretty nice!

http://i.imgur.com/EZyXda3.jpg

Still not getting KSP to recognize full screen resolution as reported by "xrandr -q" but manually dragging the window will do for now. I will try some other WM later. Because I think it's a XFCE thing with maximizing to a monitor instead of a screen (in xorg terms)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.