The Linux Thread!

I think if you manually set the resolution in the settings.cfg file it'll work Eiktyrner, but it should automatically switch to fullscreen mode.

You might be able to get it working with the -popupwindow command line switch, it's supposed to be a Windows only command but I've had it working in Linux too ;)

Nope, still only one screen if I don't manually drag it out and hide all panels.

I mean xrandr reports screen 0 at correct resolution, so it must be up to the WM right? And this is probably the desired behaviour in like 99% of the cases. It would be silly if for example firefox maximized across all monitors... It just doesn't fit my needs today.

Any ideas why gnome-shell fails when I start the game?

The weird thing is that it was working fine until just this morning. Even with the crash, the game WILL RUN, even with all my mods and added parts, but the shell is down and when I quit the game I have to reboot the computer to get my desktop GUI back.

Ubuntu 14.04LTS running the Gnome Classic desktop (also fails in the Metacity and Compiz Flashback modes, which is actually my preferred mode). Intel i5-5740 with 8GB ram.

What the .... did I break?

player.log

Looks like you've got a problem with TextureReplacer.

Try running without that mod in particular. The other mods will likely work.

Remember, in Linux you should use the x86-32 version of mods even with the x86-64 binary, because Linux doesn't go and change stuff around in x86-64 mode the way Windows does.

Hello everyone !

I've migrated back on Kubuntu from dos, and I got all working fine, mods and all.

Thanks for the awesome Linux thread, which got me so far, because nothing actually did work ^^.

I had the freeze problem when launching, the AA not working and x64 not working. Sorted all out, thanks to this thread, and the one that's closed.

But after playing for some time (2 or 3 days max), I noticed my action groups weren't working.

In the settings, as well as in settings.cfg, the default keys for the action groups, are "Alpha1", "Alpha2", and so on.

I tried remapping those keys to 1, 2, 3, etc., it gave me this (screenshot is from a vanilla ksp install)

Link to the screenshot because it's too big for here.

I searched around, tweaked around, but didn't find anything on it.

My keyboard is an Logitech G19, I'm running Gnome15 for the macro buttons to work. Oh and I'm French so it's an AZERTY keyboard.

My guess is that the problem comes from my configuration, not the game, but I'm no Linux expert ^^

There is nothing in the keyboard displays list in the system settings, and the selected model is Logitech G15 (G19 not here)

Would someone here have an idea ?

EDIT: Just after that, I found a workaround: switching the display to a QWERTY seems to do the trick. I'd still love a real solution though :D

Edited by Klakh

No, it doesn't change a thing.

For now the solution of changing the keyboard display is the one some friends of mine are using for all the alpha/beta games they play, because the Linux keyboard low level support is always unstable.

No worries, I remapped my whole config to WASD anyways :P

I'm incredibly new to Linux, and I was curious the proper way to install the nVidia Graphics drivers for the GT630M card (Which I belive my computer has based on the Windows control panel) but every time I do something goes horribly wrong. I've installed KSP via Voidi's Installation Script. I am aware of the No AntiAliasing, but I relaly want my reentry effects...

Using Ubuntu 14.04 (Or whatever the latest version is) and KSP .25

Actually, AA works just fine (up to 4xMSAA anyway) on NVIDIA cards :)

Set AA in KSP to off, set to 'override' 4xMSAA & 'override' 16xAF in NVIDIA control panel.

As for actually installing said NVIDIA drivers: Look on the "Additional Drivers" tab of the "Software & Updates" gizmo in your control panel, or do 'sudo apt-get install nvidia-331' from a terminal.

There are more up to date drivers available, but the standard set from the Ubuntu repos should work just fine.

I don't use Ubuntu myself, but I keep hearing about this xorg-edgers ppa thing ;) if you want the latest driver that's where you get it. GIYF for details.

Actually, AA works just fine (up to 4xMSAA anyway) on NVIDIA cards :)

Set AA in KSP to off, set to 'override' 4xMSAA & 'override' 16xAF in NVIDIA control panel.

As for actually installing said NVIDIA drivers: Look on the "Additional Drivers" tab of the "Software & Updates" gizmo in your control panel, or do 'sudo apt-get install nvidia-331' from a terminal.

There are more up to date drivers available, but the standard set from the Ubuntu repos should work just fine.

I don't use Ubuntu myself, but I keep hearing about this xorg-edgers ppa thing ;) if you want the latest driver that's where you get it. GIYF for details.

Thank you for this. How do I get to the nvidia control panel? Is it something that is installed with the driver or is it something else?

The binary is 'nvidia-settings', I'm pretty certain the "Additional Drivers" method will install it, but it's probably not pulled in with nvidia-331 since it's not actually needed for the driver to function.

'sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings' if you don't have it.

The binary is 'nvidia-settings', I'm pretty certain the "Additional Drivers" method will install it, but it's probably not pulled in with nvidia-331 since it's not actually needed for the driver to function.

'sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings' if you don't have it.

That worked perfectly! Thank you so very much. Have some rep! Now then...Install ALL the mods!

Hop, I came back from my travel, so I can make some test to try to understand why the azerty keyboards don't work properly.

I played a little defining my keyboard as a qwerty before launching the game, but it is quite uncomfortable as I like to play windowed doing other stuffs aside. Is it possible (may be adding command line to the already existing one) to configure the keyboard as a qwerty automatically and only for this game, the other windows open still continue to recognize the keyboard as an azerty ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I independently discovered the new offsets for 0.25.0 (I didn't know about this thread at the time), and wrote a simple bash script to apply the patch after doing some (very) basic sanity checking.

#!/usr/bin/env bash
if [[ ( # check the offsets with xxd, this is only a rudimentary test!!! We should actually be looking for 0xSomeHugeHexStringThatICantRememberRightNow
$(xxd -s +0x0099F587 -l 1 KSP.x86_64 | awk '{print $2;}') -eq '01'
)&&(
$(xxd -s +0x0099F58C -l 1 KSP.x86_64 | awk '{print $2;}') -eq '01'
) ]] ; then
# do both patches at once
printf %s\\n '99f587: 00' '99f58c: 00' | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64
else
echo 'not matched'
fi

I definitely still need these offsets for any setup with anything more than a few small mods.

Ubuntu 14.04 (LTS) and KSP Linux64 bit. After careful testing I find that I cannot load the game either in a high graphics setting and/or moderately modded condition without patching these values. The game memory usage limit without the patch applied is 4 Gb.

Hi everyone!

I have tried to run KSP (from the .zip) in Debian Wheezy 64 bits. No mods are installed. The game is very slow at each step, until it completely freezes when going from VAB to the launch pad.

I have already installed the firmwares to obtain 3D acceleration (Minecraft runs fine for example).

Can someone help me? Thank you :-)

I've searched a bit, and this might be related to some other posts....

I do see slowness in KSP that seems to crop up whenever, from startup through any other point in the game. It seems to be rendering - I get maybe one frame every 5 seconds. Unplayably bad. I'm running windowed - though I think it might not make a difference. I should try full-screen again.

I'm unable to switch workspaces and a lot of other things in X are just as slow when this happens, like raising windows and the aforementioned workspace switch.

Does the problem sound like what others are seeing?

I'm guessing it's some sort of interaction between Unity (the game engine) and X that's going horribly awry. I don't think it's the physics.

I did find a workaround, though. When it happens, I can get rid of it by switching to a virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F5, for example) then switching back to my regular X session (Ctrl-Alt-F7).

Cheers,

-BS

The Linux 64 bit client was crashing loading a flag, just like before, without the two zeroed offsets. Clearly, the binary patch is still required. So, I've found the new offsets for 0.90. It does indeed fix the issue for me. However, use at your own risk! Make a backup of your original KSP.x86_64 binary before you do this.

So these are the new commands required to fix that annoying bug in 0.90:

echo "0099e747: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64

echo "0099e74c: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64

If you could update the OP with these, sal_vager, it would be appreciated.

For future reference, this is the series of bytes that you need to look for: 01 00 00 00 b8 01 00 00 00 c3 41 56 41 55 49

Both the 01's need to be changed to 00, basically. That fingerprint obviously is still correct.

Okay this may be it, you're using Gallium and while great, it's still slow.

GPU: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CYPRESS (256MB)

It is also defaulting to 256mb of RAM for some reason, maybe that is what you have but I doubt it, only very old hardware has that amount of gfx RAM.

Do you know what gfx card you have and how much RAM it has? I don't use Gallium so wouldn't know how to set it up without googling.

It may be worth trying the proprietary fglrx driver from the repo's, but then again it depends on your card.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.