The Linux Thread!

Well I may have figured out what broke thanks to Minecraft.

When I try to load Minecraft, I get a nice crashlog with lots of details. The line in question that sticks out to me is bolded:

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// Uh... Did I do that?

Time: 9/14/15 8:14 PM
Description: Initializing game

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: X Error - disp: 0x7fac247415c0 serial: 35 error: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation) request_code: 156 minor_code: 14
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplay.globalErrorHandler(LinuxDisplay.java:320)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplayPeerInfo.initDefaultPeerInfo(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplayPeerInfo.<init>(LinuxDisplayPeerInfo.java:61)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplay.createPeerInfo(LinuxDisplay.java:828)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.DrawableGL.setPixelFormat(DrawableGL.java:61)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:846)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:757)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:739)
at ave.ap(SourceFile:534)
at ave.am(SourceFile:363)
at ave.a(SourceFile:310)
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:124)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Stacktrace:
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplay.globalErrorHandler(LinuxDisplay.java:320)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplayPeerInfo.initDefaultPeerInfo(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplayPeerInfo.<init>(LinuxDisplayPeerInfo.java:61)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplay.createPeerInfo(LinuxDisplay.java:828)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.DrawableGL.setPixelFormat(DrawableGL.java:61)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:846)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:757)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:739)
at ave.ap(SourceFile:534)
at ave.am(SourceFile:363)

-- Initialization --
Details:
Stacktrace:
at ave.a(SourceFile:310)
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:124)

-- System Details --
Details:
Minecraft Version: 1.8.8
Operating System: Linux (amd64) version 4.2.0-040200-generic
Java Version: 1.7.0_79, Oracle Corporation
Java VM Version: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
Memory: 70806392 bytes (67 MB) / 164057088 bytes (156 MB) up to 1060372480 bytes (1011 MB)
JVM Flags: 5 total; -Xmx1G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -Xmn128M
IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0
Launched Version: 1.8.8
LWJGL: 2.9.4
[B]OpenGL: ~~ERROR~~ RuntimeException: No OpenGL context found in the current thread.[/B]
GL Caps:
Using VBOs: No
Is Modded: Probably not. Jar signature remains and client brand is untouched.
Type: Client (map_client.txt)
Resource Packs: Calidus
Current Language: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null
Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
CPU: <unknown>

The Language error sticks out to me as well since I did install ibus-mozc, which probably added some Japanese locales to my machine, but I don't really know if that would mess things up or not.

Will attempt to reinstall openGL packages and will report back with findings.

--Edit--

Well apt-get install --reinstall libqt4-opengl didn't do the trick. Is there something else I'm missing that might be causing both games to crash?

Edited by WolfgangAxel

I usually run .x86 since I don't have enough RAM to make 64bit worth it, so I made sure to install all of the necessary i386 packages when I initially set it up. Double checking libmesa i386 shows that it's still installed to the newest version.

Looking into the Minecraft error led me to fglrx errors, and I think that may be at least contributing to the mess, if not causing it. Running 'fglrxinfo', this is my output:

X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 157 (ATIFGLEXTENSION)
Minor opcode of failed request: 66 ()
Serial number of failed request: 13
Current serial number in output stream: 13

I thought I was using the open-source drivers but it seems like fglrx either came preloaded or got installed by another package. I'm tempted to purge fglrx and see where that gets me, but messing around with fglrx is what got me to this point in the first place.

I'd remove it, try KSP with the radeon driver, I know it works but last time I used them it was slow, but then it was with the AMD chip in an APU.

Fglrx should work though, unless you have an old HD4000 series card, actually I think the 5000 was dropped as well recently, anything older needs X.org downgraded as the drivers for the 4000 and older don't support later versions of X.org.

Your log says you have a Radeon HD 6310 though so it should be fine.

Maybe the driver just installed badly, might be a pain to remove though, have to check the radeon driver isn't blacklisted.

If you can find how fglrx was installed that may help, if it was a dependency of something else you installed then it should be the one from the repo, and uninstalling should be painless.

Well purging fglrx was once again bloody and painful, but it seems to have more or less fixed the issue.

I think what happened was somewhere along the line something partially installed fglrx, because I noticed my xorg.conf file was full of "aticonfig" and had fglrx listed a few places. Purging fglrx, reinstalling the radeon packages, and generating a new xorg.conf ended up doing the trick. For future reference, should anyone find KSP crashing on startup with fglrx installed, this is what I did- this should work on Debian Jessie-based distros:

1. Backup xorg.conf, just in case
[B]$ sudo mv /etx/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup[/B]
(mv being used over cp since the plan is to generate a new file anyway)

2. Purge fglrx
[B]$ sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*[/B]

3. Reboot. X will fail to start and will only display the command line.

4. Reinstall the Radeon packages, because fglrx overwrites some files they use
[B]$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall firmware-linux-nonfree libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-video-ati[/B]
(I ended up purging these packages and installing again, but this should do the trick.)

4.a. If it doesn't find firmware-linux-nonfree, add contrib and non-free to your apt sources
[B]$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list[/B] (substitute nano with your in-terminal text editor of choice, if need be)
Add this to the bottom:
[B]# Debian 8 "Jessie"
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free[/B]
Then update your sources
[B]$ sudo apt-get update[/B]
Repeat step 4

5. Generate a new xorg.conf file
[B]$ sudo X -configure[/B]
This will create xorg.conf.new in whatever folder you run it in (probably /root. It will say where the file was generated.)
(When I did this, it gave an error as the last line, but the conf was created and still worked, so don't worry if it does that)

6. Place the new xorg.conf.new file where X will find it
[B]$ sudo mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf[/B] (Or wherever your .new file got generated)

7. Restart X
[B]$ startx[/B]

Your mileage may vary.

So moral of the story is try not to let a video driver get partially installed. It ruins everything.

I did boot the game up and it got to the main menu just fine, no crashing on completion of the progress bar. If that issue arises again, I'll be sure to save the KSP.log file this time.

Thanks for the help sal_vager. I'm sure I would have given up long ago if not for having someone to bounce ideas off of. I know you probably feel like you didn't do much but in the very least being kind and offering help where you could meant a lot since I didn't feel like I was alone in this mess anymore.

Hi all,

I am new to Linux (investigating it as a possible Windows replacement - not too excited by what I have been hearing about the direction Microsoft is heading with Windows 10). I successfully set up a dual boot of Linux Mint alongside Windows 7, downloaded Steam, and installed KSP. I copied the KSP folder into my /home folder so that my Steam install can remain stock and launched the KSP.x86_64 executable from my new folder. I have not run into any of the problems described in the OP - no issues with drivers, fonts, localizations, anti-aliasing, not sure about segfaults as I have not played much post-installation so I have not had to add that patch yet. (I'm pretty excited it went so smoothly as this is my first foray into another operating system; thanks for all of the great advice in this and many other threads to help with the setup!)

I am interested (per the quote from the OP that follows here) in setting up a script file to launch KSP from the desktop.

Also, if KSP is started via a shortcut link it will look in the shortcuts directory for the .cfg files, fail to find them, and will run with internal values for heat, controls and part colliders, causing problems.

So use a script that cd's to the KSP folder instead of a link, this also affects Windows users who put shortcuts on their desktop.

I was hoping that someone could help me set this up, please. I know that I will need to create a new document and ultimately make it executable. Somewhere in there, I will need a line to change directory: cd /home/username/games/Kerbal\ Space\ Program to access the KSP root where the executable resides. What else will I need?

Thanks!

BlkBltChemie-

Glad to see that you're interested in Linux for more than just playing KSP 64 bit. It's a wonderful family of OSes, and every community I've come across in my 5+ years and 5+ distros is very welcoming and helpful. I wish you the best of luck!

As for the script, it doesn't need to be anything fancy. My KSP.sh script is as follows:

#!/bin/bash
cd '/(correct)/(directory)/(path)/Kerbal Space Program'
./KSP.x86(_64)

Just copy this into a blank document, change the stuff in parentheses as necessary, then either right click -> permissions -> executable, or if you're feeling feisty "sudo chmod +x /directory/path/KSP.sh" and that will work.

Hi BlkBltChemie, the script is just a regular text file made with any text editor and can be as simple as this for the x86 version:

#!/bin/sh
cd "/home/user/games/Kerbal Space Program"
./KSP.x86

And this for x86_64:

#!/bin/sh
./KSP.x86_64

More can be added such as LC_ALL=C before starting KSP which is needed with KSP.x86_64 for many non-english locales, like this:

#!/bin/sh
LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86_64

It wont need an extension but .sh is commonly used, just the file name is enough and the file is made executable via the right click properties or chmod, I have run into one issue with scripts in that some terminals cannot parse file paths that contain spaces, even if they are in quotes or escaped with the \ character, so it's best to run them with sh or bash instead of the terminal emulator, this can be done by changing "Open with" in the right click properties.

The script can then be placed anywhere and it will change to the /home/user/games/KSP folder and start the game.

It's been a while since I used Mint but I am sure it has options to make a launcher via a GUI, a quick search turned this up, and while it looks a bit contrived it may do what you need.

Most desktops allow you to just right click and make a new launcher, but you have to make sure the working directory is the path to the KSP folder.

If you get stuck I'll download Mint and have a look :)

WolfgangAxel, I typed all this before seeing you already answered, oh well posting anyway, and I'm glad I was able to help even in a small way.

Edited by sal_vager

Thanks WolfgangAxel and sal_vager! Looking forward to trying this out this evening after work. Would one of you be willing to describe what each line of this script is doing (just for my own knowledge/curiosity) - particularly the first line? (2nd is the directory path and 3rd launches the executable, right?) Also, just to double check, for the change directory line, do you need the single or double quote you showed?

I'll keep the spaces in mind and probably just change the folder name if I need to. I know when I was navigating in the terminal I needed to use the \ character for the path.

BlkBltChemie-

Glad to see that you're interested in Linux for more than just playing KSP 64 bit. It's a wonderful family of OSes, and every community I've come across in my 5+ years and 5+ distros is very welcoming and helpful. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to learning how to use Linux. (To be honest I'm running on a 6 year old laptop with 6GB RAM, so 64-bit may give me a little bit more mileage for KSP, but I usually play stock anyway so we'll have to see what happens.) I got to use the Windows command line some during my PhD with the software we use for solving crystal structures in chemistry and actually really enjoyed it, so I'm really excited about diving in and using the Terminal. (I will probably try the chmod command first to make the script executable.) I do, however, keep trying to use "dir" instead of "ls" to show the contents of the active directory, but I'm sure that will pass in time! Probably the biggest challenge I've run into so far (and relevant to KSP at least on Steam) is how to reveal hidden files in both the GUI and from the Terminal since Steam is buried in .local.

So far I feel like running Linux is a actually lot like completing a particularly challenging mission in KSP - very rewarding when you accomplish what you set out to do! I'm excited to see how it works for my daily use. I'm in the middle of a fairly large project at work, so it will probably be a few weeks before I can really dive in, but I'm really enjoying the experience so far!

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how things turn out when I give the script a try later!

Edited by BlkBltChemie

The first line, that I most commonly hear referred to as a shebang, specifies the interpreter to use to run the rest of the script. In this case, /bin/sh , the good old Bourne shell.

After that, you're right. The script uses the 'cd' command (identical to cd in a windows command prompt) to change current directory to where KSP is installed. The third line executes KSP, adding an LC_ALL environment variable to the start. LC_ALL controls the locale, and setting it to C is a good universal default.

On the quotes on the script, there's several different methods and all work to ensure compatibility with older scripts.

Single quotes (') and double quotes (") effectively tell the shell to treat the contents of the quotes as a string (line of text) including spaces, if quotes aren't used the spaces are treated as the end of the command, so cd ~/home/user/Kerbal Space Program will stop at cd ~/home/user/Kerbal, and because this is not a valid path the cd command will fail.

The forward slash escapes the normal use of the space character so the cd command can keep going to the end.

As for the hidden folders, usually pressing crtl+h in the file manager toggles visibility. I'm not sure how to see them with ls, but I'm sure that's nothing a quick bit of Googling couldn't fix.

I find that Linux is a very rewarding system because it gets you more involved in everything your computer does. Furthermore, I'm in love with the idea of open source development, and the Linux community is chock-full of it! It adds a level of security in my mind, since everything the program does can be examined for flaws and exploits and whatnot. I remember when I first installed Ubuntu 9.04, I was astounded at how much free and open source software was out there, and all the cool things the programs could do. It definitely changed my outlook on computer software development.

And with the direction Microsoft has been taking Windows, I'm glad I had one foot out the door already. The day Windows 7 stops getting support is probably the day I stop using Windows altogether. The only reason I didn't ditch it completely a few years ago was because I had too many games that required it, but thanks to Steam and Unity, that's becoming less and less of a problem.

--edit--

Oh yeah, and if you're ever bored or you get confused about a terminal command, usually typing "man <command>" or "<command> -h" or sometimes "<command> --help" will bring up a dialog about how to use the command. You can learn some interesting things about the command and what it can do. I have a feeling "man ls" might tell you what you need to know =)

Edited by WolfgangAxel

Oh yeah, and if you're ever bored or you get confused about a terminal command, usually typing "man <command>" or "<command> -h" or sometimes "<command> --help" will bring up a dialog about how to use the command. You can learn some interesting things about the command and what it can do. I have a feeling "man ls" might tell you what you need to know =)

That is great to know, thanks! I had done some digging last night and found the ctrl+h for hidden files (its nice that you can use it again to rehide them when you finish) and for the terminal I saw it was either ls -a or ls -A (can't recall if it was case sensitive or not - I've noticed that file paths are sensitive which I think is different from Windows).

My biggest concern switching was hardware drivers; I've never really delved that deeply into hardware before, but even the drivers are open-source which boggled my mind. I'm just amazed at how many talented people are out there trying to make things so accessible with open-source development. I am also going to miss Windows 7, but hopefully that day will still be a while in coming. I actually still have my old XP laptop so I may try playing around to set up Linux there as well one day.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help and sorry for the minor digression from KSP discussion!

--

EDIT

I checked man ls and -a shows all files; -A shows almost all files

Edited by BlkBltChemie

And with the direction Microsoft has been taking Windows, I'm glad I had one foot out the door already. The day Windows 7 stops getting support is probably the day I stop using Windows altogether. The only reason I didn't ditch it completely a few years ago was because I had too many games that required it, but thanks to Steam and Unity, that's becoming less and less of a problem.

It effectively already lost support. If you leave auto update active, it downloads entire Win10 on your system partition, and it just hangs there. Also, they retroactively added the same spyware crap from Win10 to Win7 and Win8 in recent patches...

It effectively already lost support. If you leave auto update active, it downloads entire Win10 on your system partition, and it just hangs there. Also, they retroactively added the same spyware crap from Win10 to Win7 and Win8 in recent patches...

Oh really? I hadn't heard they did that. I'm really glad I turned off auto-updating and I haven't felt the urge to install updates for a few months. Looks like I'll just be using what I've got until Windows 7 gets ousted like XP and Vista did.

Just to make the post somewhat KSP related and not turn this into an OS discussion thread, I haven't run into any issues since purging fglrx and reinstalling Radeon drivers. Same modlist as before- thanks to AutoPruner I clock in at about 2.2 gigs of RAM being used at any given point in time, so I'm well under my memory limit. A few part textures come up completely black, but I assume that's because they share textures with a part that was pruned. I'm not concerned about it because it doesn't break my game, and the parts still work, so to me it's not worth the effort to figure out what exactly is going wrong.

The open-source Radeon drivers don't perform noticeably different on my laptop, so they've probably improved a bit since whenever sal_vager last used them. Part of me feels like it has a slightly lower FPS than fglrx did, but honestly it's completely possible that it may just be me not remembering how fglrx performed and also knowing that the Radeon drivers are supposed to be not as good for 3D rendering.

This may have already been answered, but I've been grinding away at various KSP glitches all day now and I just don't have the energy for another deep, forum-scouring search. I have a feeling this is an easy fix, so please humor me:

KSP is starting in 32-bit mode on my Ubuntu system, despite the fact that I have a 64-bit setup. How do I get KSP to start in 64-bit mode?

I discovered this mixup while trying to get aerodynamic effects to work. KSP was telling me I had no hardware support so I applied the generally recommended fix of using a hex editor to zero out "INTEL.Intel" in my KSP.x86_64 file. When that didn't work I PM'd Eleven to ask for help and he convinced me to try it again. (Thanks dude!) I did, but this time I amended KSP.x86 as well as KSP.x86_64. Like magic, KSP suddenly allowed me to show aerodynamic effects! That's a solid demonstration of this particular fix, but much more importantly it revealed that KSP has been running in 32-bit mode this whole time (and still is).

In addition to the lack of aerodynamic effects, I've also been having a display glitch on fairing textures, and a serious problem with orbital paths disappearing in map view. It strikes me that running KSP in 32-bit mode on a 64-bit system could potentially be the root cause of all these issues. I wanted to ask you all how I might fix that, but I also wanted to let people know about this because if it turns out this really is what's causing my issues, it's probably responsible for a few other people's issues as well. Hopefully someone can tell me how to make KSP run in 64-bit mode, and then we'll know for sure whether 32-bit KSP is to blame for all these problems in Linux.

Well, "no hardware support" will only show in the settings.cfg when trying to enable PPFX edge highlighting, which needs to have anti-aliasing enabled in the KSP settings as well, even if it doesn't actually work in-game, so turn on AA and you'll be able to turn on PPFX.

KSP.x86_64 should have started on a 64bit Linux install unless something is missing, the Player.log will say what happened so please upload that, and also check that KSP has the libraries it needs by using the ldd command in the terminal, like this:

ldd KSP.x86_64 | grep "not found"

More info is here.

I have orbit line rendering and no fairing flicker in both 32bit and 64bit KSP on 64bit Ubuntu by the way.

Well, "no hardware support" will only show in the settings.cfg when trying to enable PPFX edge highlighting, which needs to have anti-aliasing enabled in the KSP settings as well, even if it doesn't actually work in-game, so turn on AA and you'll be able to turn on PPFX.
Thanks! With anti-aliasing turned on and "INTEL.Intel" removed from the hex, KSP's game options are now giving me full access to every graphics setting: PPFX, aero FX, etc. Incidentally when I turn on anti-aliasing it doesn't actually look like there's any anti-aliasing happening (all edges are pixelated), but that has zero effect on gameplay so I'm not particularly concerned about it. Curious, though.
I have orbit line rendering and no fairing flicker in both 32bit and 64bit KSP on 64bit Ubuntu by the way.
I got KSP to run in 64-bit mode (again, thanks for your help) and unfortunately it didn't make any difference for either my fairing flicker or my disappearing orbit paths. Edited by Onieronaut

I've got a problem in linux where a stutter is occuring every time the ksp memory is being purged - it happens in windows too but not whilst I've got the mouse buttons held down - in linux using the mouse makes the memory purge more often and turns into a big stutter every 4 - 5 seconds when the mouse buttons are being held down and the mouse is being moved.

I have already tried turning the mouse polling down and messing around with drivers etc. but this clearly seems to be a linux ksp problem. If I don't do anything the 'Allocated' and 'unused reserved' memory in the debug menu goes up by 0.1mb every 3 seconds or so - until the 'unused reserve' hits 10mb and then the purge (and fps stutter) occurs. However if I press a button down on my mouse and move the mouse around then both the allocated and unused reserved shoot up whilst the mouse is in motion and increases by about 0.3mb every second - resulting in a stutter every 4-5 seconds or so (the same stutter would happen naturally, but every 40-50 seconds because the memory is not being purged).

I am not sure if there's anything I can do to remedy this?

edit: just to add that I've tried this in windows and the memory allocation doesn't increase whilst the mouse buttons are held down and the mouse is moving - something is wrong with the linux client in this regard

Edited by offbeat
added windows info

I spent most of my Sunday not playing KSP, but troubleshooting KSP. To my continuing bafflement, it would appear that installs that were under the memory limit before and stable for weeks can decide at whatever time that they need even more memory than that on startup, and become impossible to start. Maybe it's the save file growing, maybe I'm just flying too close to the sun and this is breaking things in creative ways, but it's going from innocent crashes to major gamebreaking glitches, like the atmosphere permanently disappearing, and I don't think it's fair to ask people to troubleshoot an install that I've not only modded to hell and back, but modded the mods in (nor do I think I want to put in even more hours to troubleshoot much further along these lines when the memory cap is always a threat). Either way, much as I like to tinker, I don't like to play guessing games about whether I will get to play KSP today.

The solution to me seems pretty obvious: switch to Linux x64 client and enjoy the luxury of practically unlimited memory. Obviously I have google, I can see instructions on how to install Ubuntu written for people with even less knowledge than myself; but I've seen several players mention they switched to Linux for KSP, and I'd like to know how that worked out and what was the best/simplest approach when your goal, in the short term at least, is just to play KSP in peace and use the hardware you paid for.

Questions:

- Seems common knowledge that Ubuntu is the most popular distro. Any reason to choose something else, or anything I should know about distros relevant to KSP?

- I have an SSD and HDD. The SSD runs Windows and games that benefit from an SSD; I'd prefer to install Linux to the HDD for now so I don't have to worry about competition for disk space and KSP doesn't seem to benefit from an SSD anyway. Is it difficult to run both Windows and Linux on the same PC for this purpose?

- Once I get Linux installed and KSP installed for Linux, is modding it and playing it going to be pretty much the same as on Windows? It's not that I'm a Windows fan so much as I'm getting kind of old and don't like surprises. Given that I never see Linux or Mac versions of mods, I guess it must be the case that KSP's internal file structure is the same regardless of OS?

Sorry if this comes across as gripy, I don't mean it. I don't actually blame Squad or anyone else for a heavily modded install getting clunky, just exhausted from reinstalling dozens of mods from scratch only to keep bumping into the same problem, so I figure why not solve the problem the most direct way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.