The Linux Thread!

Fresh 1.1 install on Ubuntu 15.04 (yes, a little outdated. going to upgrade to 16.04 when it comes out in a few days.) and when I launch, it causes me to be logged out of my x session. Anyone else having this issue? The first time I run it, I can get it to work for a while and even get into the VAB. However, there's a LOT of UI stuff missing such as settings and the categories for parts in the VAB.

screenshot0.png

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

Holy crap! It required a hack (thanks to @kspflo) to run without pulseaudio. Small glitches all over UI, large glitches all over UI... Now it even managed to crash my openbox. It scrambles out to the screen like a kind of glitchy alien entity, changing geometry, flashing and momentarily locking input several times. Half of the widgets seem misplaced, fonts out of place, weird contrast here and there.

If 1.0 (and everything that came before) feels smooth (but slow, obviously), this thing is screw loose and gives a synesthetic feel of jerky alien radio static in the eyes.

Had to spill it out, sorry. Need to sleep and unsee some things. Bugs were already filed, waiting just continues.

5 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

Holy crap! It required a hack (thanks to @kspflo) to run without pulseaudio. Small glitches all over UI, large glitches all over UI... Now it even managed to crash my openbox. It scrambles out to the screen like a kind of glitchy alien entity, changing geometry, flashing and momentarily locking input several times. Half of the widgets seem misplaced, fonts out of place, weird contrast here and there.

If 1.0 (and everything that came before) feels smooth (but slow, obviously), this thing is screw loose and gives a synesthetic feel of jerky alien radio static in the eyes.

Had to spill it out, sorry. Need to sleep and unsee some things. Bugs were already filed, waiting just continues.

So, What you're saying is that it's not just me? lol! I have many of the same issues that you describe but I'm on Ubuntu with pulseaudio. Yeah, the UI is super glitchy. I had the same scrambled screen right before it logged me out of my x session.

2 hours ago, bassmannate said:

Fresh 1.1 install on Ubuntu 15.04 (yes, a little outdated. going to upgrade to 16.04 when it comes out in a few days.) and when I launch, it causes me to be logged out of my x session. Anyone else having this issue? The first time I run it, I can get it to work for a while and even get into the VAB. However, there's a LOT of UI stuff missing such as settings and the categories for parts in the VAB.

Hello, you need to read this : http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/7493

It's a bug with your screen resolution and the KSP resolution on Unity3D, try a fullscreen with a lower resolution than your screen resolution and it will work :wink:

46 minutes ago, Malah said:

It's a bug with your screen resolution and the KSP resolution on Unity3D, try a fullscreen with a lower resolution than your screen resolution and it will work :wink:

Well, that fixed that. Beautiful framerates! I really have a terrible computer but having the multithread support really helps! Now if I can just solve the problem I'm running into with flags. Also, something is weird with what appears to be transparency? I'm not sure what's causing it.

screenshot12.png

screenshot32.png

On Ubuntu 14.04 64bit Steam version... I wasn't seeing any of the menu text and some UI elements were missing. I looked over some previous comments, made sure mscorefonts was installed, set it to use the 64bit version in Steam, etc. I finally got the text and missing elements to show up by editing  ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/settings.cfg and changed "FULLSCREEN = False" to "FULLSCREEN = True". My displays native resolution is 1280x1024, the config file is set to 1280x720. If I set it to 1280x1024, the text and UI elements disappear again. This seems kind of messed up. Is this the way it's supposed to be? Other than that, it seems to run fine.

2 hours ago, Malah said:

It's a bug with your screen resolution and the KSP resolution on Unity3D, try a fullscreen with a lower resolution than your screen resolution and it will work

Does this mean there is no way to go windowed in certain linux builds now without the UI bugging out? I have the same problem, it required the same solution just that I find it annoying using fullscreen instead of windowed.

11 hours ago, sal_vager said:

AMD seems to have some trouble with Unity5, we have had to start it with -force-gfx-direct during testing.

May I ask: Which AMD driver? The recommended open source drivers, the workstation AMD GPU Pro driver, or the outdated, no longer maintained fglrx?

1 hour ago, soulsource said:

May I ask: Which AMD driver? The recommended open source drivers, the workstation AMD GPU Pro driver, or the outdated, no longer maintained fglrx?

From my testing with Xubuntu 15.10 with a AMD A10 APU (Radeon HD7800 graphics) the game works with the open source Radeon driver but with stencil issues, i.e things show through where they shouldn't and text often doesn't show at all.

The stencilling issue also shows on Nvidia at fullscreen, when using a lower resolution than the desktop.

With the fglrx driver from the repository and the catalyst driver from the AMD website the game failed to start without -force-gfx-direct

I cannot test with Intel as I don't have anything with an Intel gfx card that can run KSP.

21 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

With the fglrx driver from the repository and the catalyst driver from the AMD website the game failed to start without -force-gfx-direct

I've had what looks like a similar issue after the update. Blank window for about five seconds and a crash.

Added -force-gfx-direct and it's starting up. Haven't had a chance to check things beyond that but it's opening now at least.

fglrx on Mint 17.3.

Thanks for the info @Setanta.

I've updated the OP a bit with what I know so far, but there's a lot that's broken in 1.1 on Linux, I'm hoping that Squad move to Unity5 version 3.4 as soon as possible as that has a lot of fixes, and may help us with our trouble.

19 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Ground vanishing seems to be linked to anti-aliasing on some graphic cards, you could try disabling that.

I did, if I try turning AA on it crashes.

Edited by Willbl3pic

14 hours ago, lobe said:

Does this mean there is no way to go windowed in certain linux builds now without the UI bugging out? I have the same problem, it required the same solution just that I find it annoying using fullscreen instead of windowed.

While there still are some glitches, launching KSP with the "-force-glcore" command line option makes the UI work regardless of resolution and also in windowed mode. This command line switch enables the "New OpenGL Renderer" of unity, as described in the "So, how can I use it?" section of http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/05/26/dx11-features-on-mobile/ and the "Other Improvements" section of https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-5.2

At least with my graphics drivers, radeonsi, the new renderer has issues with shadows, but setting shadow cascades to zero improves the situation quite a bit.

44 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

Is there any way I can force KSP to use more RAM? My system monitor says its only using 4GB, and I have 8 installed, so how?

What executable are you launching? If you have more than 4GB of memory you also need to run the 64bit-executable.

Is that even a Linux-related question?

51 minutes ago, ThomasOnLinux said:

What executable are you launching? If you have more than 4GB of memory you also need to run the 64bit-executable.

Is that even a Linux-related question?

I am launching the 64bit, but its not using more than 4Gbs.

1 hour ago, soulsource said:

While there still are some glitches, launching KSP with the "-force-glcore" command line option makes the UI work regardless of resolution and also in windowed mode. This command line switch enables the "New OpenGL Renderer" of unity, as described in the "So, how can I use it?" section of http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/05/26/dx11-features-on-mobile/ and the "Other Improvements" section of https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-5.2

At least with my graphics drivers, radeonsi, the new renderer has issues with shadows, but setting shadow cascades to zero improves the situation quite a bit.

Actually I'll add that to the OP, thanks @soulsource

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.