The Linux Thread!

19 hours ago, Polnoch said:

Ubuntu 16.04, Digital Audio via PulseAudio. No sound in game. If browser plays something from youtube, after running KSP, then play stopped. We use KSP x86_64 version. 

I forgot to write - solved.

10 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

Does your CPU pass mprime or sp2004 Orthos Edition (in Wine) burn for at least 4-5 hours in CPU-test configuration?

CPU and mem pass on both test, and don't cause instability in programs running in conjunction.

However, I figured out that I was talking through my nose before. KSP still sigfaults even if nothing's loaded. It's utterly random, and I might again be deluding myself when I say that it seems a little more stable when launched from a terminal, and in windowed mode. And I was having so much fun when it worked for a day.

*sarcasm* have you tried turning it of and on again? */sarcasm*

once ive set the ocean values in my settings.cfg it seemed to give me more stability/fps too .. regular i have about 30 fps with a 50part-ship

PLANET
		{
			name = KerbinOcean
			minDistance = 3
			minSubdivision = 1
			maxSubdivision = 6
		}

instead of (stock)

PLANET
		{
			name = KerbinOcean
			minDistance = 4
			minSubdivision = 1
			maxSubdivision = 6
		}

that will basicly load the ocean if your closer .. like if your going upwards your ocean unloads and will look less detailed if your further away .. ergo less work to do for the core game to loadup details

(this one is for LOW settings ofc)

Edited by LatiMacciato

@JoelleEmmily  I always launch from terminal, in windowed mode.  Even set up a bash script (similar to the one previously offered in this thread) to mitigate some of the known issues.  It thends to work best when I bypass most of the items in the script. I use flags on the command line to turn them on/off to see what helps and what doesn't.

Back to my regular issues with screen resizing:

• KDE + Plasma. (Original Config): Still has wierd windowing issues, lots of crashes, and a few memory crashes that force X to completely reset.
  • Tried Gnome:  It works, graphically, the few times I loaded it.  No sound though.  I'll have to check drivers and configuration.  It doesn't seem to see my bluetooth speakers.
  • Tried IceWM:. only one thing I can say is "DON'T!"  Any opengl game (KSP, others that come with linux) causes the system to crash, hard.
  • Tried XFCE once.  had issues.  not entirely sure it was KSP or something else.  Will be trying again when I have more time to experiment.
  • Haven't yet tried:   lxdm, XDG, WindowMaker, e17, fvwm2, marco (MATE)

Currently back to my Original configuration.  I am still having the strange screen sizes load up, along with a few random crashes (nothing I can find in the log files, yet) along with 1 memory error today that reset everything back to logging into KDE. 

The initial "black screen" opens, then it "flickers" about the time I expect the hand off to the KSP code.  At that flicker point it resizes to the strange sizes.  I usually kill it at that point (command line.kill, or Ctrl-C depending on what it lets me use at the time), and try again.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not.  Usually not.

if you check out my sig repo (runKSP.sh), then you might find a KSP bash starter script, i usually launch KSP from there (even implented loading up CKAN.exe via mono, including a tail -f ksp.log)

.. but unsure if it works on other distros than ubuntu (still using 14.04 64 bit here)

Edited by LatiMacciato

Ahhh friends...

So after years, I finally find myself back at the linux thread...

So, it should be a couple of years since I've done any kerballing. Use dto play from .25 up to 1.0 and never really had any big issues with the linux release, rarely crashing due to lack of system memory.
Now it seems I can't even launch the game, confirming some random comment I've seen around that last update broke linux release. Weird thing is my first run try was with a bunch of mods and they did seem to get the game running, though with missing menus after first screen. Without them its pretty much run and burn.

Judging by other comments around, seems like you guys aren't having this issue, isn't this a common thing? Is there something I can do to workaround?

9 hours ago, Gfurst said:

Ahhh friends...

(snip)

Now it seems I can't even launch the game, confirming some random comment I've seen around that last update broke linux release. Weird thing is my first run try was with a bunch of mods and they did seem to get the game running, though with missing menus after first screen. Without them its pretty much run and burn.

Judging by other comments around, seems like you guys aren't having this issue, isn't this a common thing? Is there something I can do to workaround?

Hi Gfurst, missing menu text can be worked around by running KSP in the same resolution as your desktop in fullscreen, or by starting KSP with -force-glcore

But if you can't launch the game it's something else and we'll need your logs.

8 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Hi Gfurst, missing menu text can be worked around by running KSP in the same resolution as your desktop in fullscreen, or by starting KSP with -force-glcore

But if you can't launch the game it's something else and we'll need your logs.

Hi, right.... that was first when I tried to launch with some mods...

Without mods, the game launch at all, quickly opens a window and closes down, no log generated... Managed to get the launcher open once, but not again.
Already verified integrity a couple of times and nothing. Whats the deal? Running in a terminal only output is:

Found path: /home/guiu/Games/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/guiu/Games/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/guiu/Games/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/guiu/Games/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Mono/etc'
displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.5
client has 6 screens
displaymanager screen (0)(HDMI-0): 1920 x 1080
Using libudev for joystick management

Importing game controller configs

On 8/15/2016 at 2:14 PM, Eleven said:

I'm running Linux Mint 18 64bit, on a Lenovo Y50-70 with an Nvidia GTX 860M

Mint's updates gave me a new Nvidia driver the other day but didn't really seem to change the version, it's at 367.35

Since then I noticed this shading artifact around light sources, is this something I can tweak or change?

Also if you are looking to get rid of that you can use this cloud cfg.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3fe4ydyoew220xx/clouds.cfg?dl=0

*Do note this gets rid of cloud shadows competely. You will no longer be able to see the shadows from orbit or on the surface

Alright fellas, I've managed to get the game working...

For reference, what really helped me what this thread, a little bit this one too an paying more attention to OP known issues.

The answer is the damned unity pref file that is hidden on ".config". It seems this damn thing needs to go away every single time I try to launch the game, otherwise it will just close instantly.

Another issues I have to deal with:

• setting the resolution: had to do manually on the cfg file
  • garbled screen when it finally launches: apparently another issue related with radeon, "-force-gfx-direct" solves it
  • no text on menus: also added "-force-glcore", installed fonts as well as precaution

With all of this I'm now with this script, seems to working right and can even be called from steam:

#"/bin/bash

rm /home/guiu/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/prefs
cd /home/guiu/Games/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/
LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86_64 -single-instance -force-gfx-direct -force-glcore

Now everything seems to be working fine, tried some mods and all good. All except some weird graphical artifacts, that looks like shadows on the KSC (and on the initial screen mun), don't know if they happen everywhere. There was the "Disable Edge Highlighting (PPFX)" suggestion, but I don't this affected anything.

Also if you are looking to get rid of that you can use this cloud cfg.

We could be referring to the same issue, but what this madness about clouds in KSP? Are these related to the EVE stuff? Are they working well nowadays?

14 minutes ago, Gfurst said:

We could be referring to the same issue, but what this madness about clouds in KSP? Are these related to the EVE stuff? Are they working well nowadays?

Better than ever id say :wink: but I'm a little biased

i just realised something that might have a good performance boost (possibly just small and already known for Nvidia cards/propietary drivers)

if you have "unredirect_fullscreen_windows" in CCSM (compiz config settings manager) --> Composite Option unchecked including a refresh rate of 60 instead of 50 then it might boost and eliminate tearing (in some cases, untested with other cards/distros) so

im using Ubuntu 14.04 64bit - GTX 750Ti (still, might have to update my OS soon :P)

since the prop. driver is working properly compiz has an issue with VSync

screen-tearing-in-ubuntu-14-04-3-nvidia-intel-graphics-msi-gt70-dominator

hope that helps others too

I can say that XFCE works like a charm once I got everything else configured.

No wierd resizing issues.  So far no crashes from out of memory, or any other wierdness.

It also seems to run faster, though I have not yet compared framerates.

Az

11 hours ago, azander said:

I can say that XFCE works like a charm once I got everything else configured.

No wierd resizing issues.  So far no crashes from out of memory, or any other wierdness.

It also seems to run faster, though I have not yet compared framerates.

Az

That's good news at least, though why it's such a mess in Unity/Gnome/etc doesn't make sense.

I'm still experiencing random crashes as well on XFCE Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, however, I've also been noticing some odd behaviours.

After a crash; then reboot, I can play for much longer, but that's usually a given.

If I restart the game immediately, I get video glitches and texture errors such as the app menu listing mods beyond it's lower limit, or the "grass" texture looking stretched. These errors persist between restarts, and the game usually crashes in minutes.

If I delete the whole ksp directory, and recopy from archive, I don't need to reboot, and the video issues don't come up as they would had I simply restarted, however, I cant really find caches in the ksp structure. Maybe ksp modifies its files? Maybe a temp somewhere else?

Deleting Unity's pref file seems to help in my case as well.

The oibaf driver repository has updated several time recently, but they haven't resulted in any stability changes for ksp.

I still think Firefox and/or the flash plugin is contributing to instability somehow.

Just to reiterate what I've tried:
Changed vid cards, still ATI though
Changed destros
Minimalist install
Updated vid driver
Have not tired Catalyst/AMDGPU yet, kinda avoiding it right now, will be trying soon
Scripts listed in this and the old thread
And with Dev versions of several libraries

Edited by JoelleEmmily
spell check, update

1 hour ago, JoelleEmmily said:

I'm still experiencing random crashes as well on XFCE Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, however, I've also been noticing some odd behaviours.

<snip>

I still think Firefox and/or the flash plugin is contributing to instability somehow.

I know for a fact that Firefox + flash cause issues with KSP on linux.  The wrapper for flash never properly unloads from memory until firefox is also removed.  I have installed a flash blocker to cut down this issue..  I'm to the point of removing flash, but I have a couple of sites that require it for me to use them., so I am still holding off for now.

I've only been using XFCE now for about 3 days.  I am using a NVIDIA card nd the proprietary drivers on OpenSuse.  That may be why you are having issues vs me not. 

I still have to use the -force-glcore, but so far that and the language being set to C are the only work arounds in use.

Az

on Ubuntu (regular one, unity 7) 16.04 theres just the pepperfresh browser plugin (as far i understand nothing from Adobe released/not official supported by Adobe) .. but it does fight in your GRam for recources too, as the U14.04 flash does (just upgraded my system, doing performance checks atm and noticed that)

it still might help not having any yt videos open (or just have them bookmarked, for later opening) while gaming in general (has been topic in other linux forums aswell)

regards :)

Edited by LatiMacciato

20 hours ago, JoelleEmmily said:

After a crash; then reboot, I can play for much longer, but that's usually a given.

If I restart the game immediately, I get video glitches and texture errors such as the app menu listing mods beyond it's lower limit, or the "grass" texture looking stretched. These errors persist between restarts, and the game usually crashes in minutes.

I sometimes watch ZobraZ KSP broadcast on twitch and he had heavy instability issues (Windows), until he discovered that KSP savegame issue with Kerbal names.
He claimed that KSP saves generated names of Kerbals, which you didn't recruit, so they don't reappear. Each such entry adds few bytes to savegame - and his savegame grew due to it to several hundred megabytes.

Clearing those entries stopped crashes.

There could ofc be an issue with oibaf/xorg-edgers stack, because its cutting edge.

18 hours ago, azander said:

I know for a fact that Firefox + flash cause issues with KSP on linux.  The wrapper for flash never properly unloads from memory until firefox is also removed.  I have installed a flash blocker to cut down this issue..  I'm to the point of removing flash, but I have a couple of sites that require it for me to use them., so I am still holding off for now.

The "Flash" issue in Firefox/Linux is solved by two things.

1) use of freshplayer-pepperflash, which is a converter from Firefox's NPAPI to Chrome's PPAPI(pepperAPI).
It takes current Chrome's Flash blob (that works via Chrome-only PPAPI api) and remaps that interface into Firefox native NPAPI. 
As outcome Chrome's Flash runs in Firefox.

The difference, is that Chrome's Flash is current and maintained, where regular NPAPI Flash is basically outdated and not really serviced (bugs and issues kept, except those with "security" tag).

2) Firefox plugin "Flashdisable", which is also set to ON - "Disable Flash on Firefox startup" and ON - "Use ask to activate".
This tiny button makes great difference.
It will initially disable Flash completely. Clicking on that button will allow to enable Flash in the website region (not globally).

optional 3) "BetterPrivacy" which is dedicated to removal of Flash LSO supercookies, including location track via Flash settings. It supports both regular Flash and pepperflash version.

I decided to post an example of the "after image" phenomenon I was talking about. I realize this isn't KSP specific, but, I can't find an explanation anywhere else, and it *does* affect KSP. And I hate the Ubuntu forums. This vid is like 8 seconds long, and just so happens to have Scott Manly in it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwrwTiBuln0sTTJjQmZJaUw4ak0

1 hour ago, JoelleEmmily said:

I decided to post an example of the "after image" phenomenon I was talking about. I realize this isn't KSP specific, but, I can't find an explanation anywhere else, and it *does* affect KSP. And I hate the Ubuntu forums. This vid is like 8 seconds long, and just so happens to have Scott Manly in it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwrwTiBuln0sTTJjQmZJaUw4ak0

this looks like the graphic driver and/or OpenGL cant process as it should .. you might want to look linto the CCSM settings --> workarounds about that

this are my settings:

Spoiler

ccsmWorkarbc7d.png

the X settings are most importantly the reason why it doesnt catch up .. i assume

hope this helps (wouldnt harm playing with it, and if you dont see any effect, relog/restart so the X server can reinitialize)

Edited by LatiMacciato

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.