The Linux Thread!

Curious question to the other Linux users out there.

Is anyone else seeing higher CPU loads with KSP 1.0.2?

I've been playing since 0.25 and never had issues with overheating, but suddenly I'm locking up left and right.

Watching KSP in top, I see CPU usage at something like 200%. My temps idle around 45, but get to 70 while still in the main menu.

Sometimes I can only play for 5 minutes, but sometimes for an hour. I can't make sense of it, but 0.90 definitely didn't do this to me, modded or unmodded.

Just wondering if I'm the only one noticing higher CPU usage.

EDIT: Somewhere between reinstalling KSP, reinstalling Nvidia 331 (from 349) drivers, and changing the x86_64 offsets per soulsource, my thermal issues went away, as did my lockups.

I'm having the same problem. With strace it calls showing some function that waits for a thread to end (or something similar) shown. Forgot to write down its name. Will try your solution. But I hesitate to reinstall the old NVidia drivers as with them another game of mine isn't running ...

So I thought Squad removed the 64 bit client from the download? Updated KSP to 1.0 in Ubuntu last night and found that the 64bit client was actually still there. Does it only remain for Linux users?

Which leads me to my next inquiry. No sound when I start the game through steam. I'm using the proper launch commands, but it's strange. Only through steam is audio non existent. If I open the game directly from the executable I get sound.

It was just the Windows x64 that was removed, the problem with career didn't occur on Linux so the x64 binary was left in.

That's a strange sound issue though, if you have pulseaudio you could try putting "padsp %command%" in the Steam launch options for KSP.

I see. Good to know. As for no sound I'm currently running

LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 %command%_64

In the launch options. How do I go about adding multiple launch options? I do have pulseaudio so would that command just go next to the one I have? In what manner?

It's not something I've been able to test here as sound is working for me, padsp just tells the application to use oss for sound, and pulse pretends to be oss, it should work if it's between GL threading and %command%.

Though I'd also check the sound volume in pulse while KSP is running, as it's easy to mute fmod in another program and find that it' still muted when playing KSP.

OP states that Antialiasing can break KSP on AMD. With KSP 1.0.2 and using

fglrx 2:15.200-0ubuntu0.3 (the one you'll get on any ubuntu LTS using apt or other package control tools)

you can forcibly enable AA using the Catalyst Control Center (requires fglrx-amdcccle) for the KSP.x86_64 executable with "Overwrite" mode.

It works just fine, even with edge highlighting. But it will eat a bit of performance, obviously.

KSP runs with ~22fps on launchpad, with many dozens of mods (incl. EVE Astronomer on high detail) on 2560x1440p with 8x MSAA, 16x AF and VSync enforced. I reduce AA to 2x or 4x for playing, gives a good FPS boost, but keeps smooth edges.

OpenGL:

Version: OpenGL 4.4 [4.4.13374 Compatibility Profile Context 15.20.1013]

Renderer: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (R9 290, actually)

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

VRAM: 3231 MB

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an odd one. Starting KSP from a desktop link will give KSP some trouble with pathing. My KSP logs started being written to my desktop rather than the KSP directory, and SoundtrackEditor couldn't find its config file (so no new music). Nothing else had any trouble, though. Long story short, start KSP from the actual KSP directory.

Here's an odd one. Starting KSP from a desktop link will give KSP some trouble with pathing. My KSP logs started being written to my desktop rather than the KSP directory, and SoundtrackEditor couldn't find its config file (so no new music). Nothing else had any trouble, though. Long story short, start KSP from the actual KSP directory.

I ran across a similar issue after I installed Outer Planets Mod. If I started from my normal desktop icon, planet rings and the 2 odd shaped moons were screwy. My guess was some kind of environment variable with Kopernicus/Kittopia. If I started from the directory, there were no issues. I gave up trying to work around it and now I just start from the directory even though I don't have OPM installed right now :)

If you make the link use the KSP folder as the working directory it should prevent that, it's equivalent to cd'ing to the folder first, it's a good idea to always do this anyway as I've had many programs in the past run oddly when they look in the links folder for the program files.

If you make the link use the KSP folder as the working directory it should prevent that, it's equivalent to cd'ing to the folder first, it's a good idea to always do this anyway as I've had many programs in the past run oddly when they look in the links folder for the program files.

You know, I tried to find a way to do just that and came up with nothing.

You could just put 'cd <ksp_directory>' as the first line of the startup shell script... or, you know, just use the shell. Over dependence on GUIs, sheesh.

What desktop are you running anyways?

You could just put 'cd <ksp_directory>' as the first line of the startup shell script... or, you know, just use the shell. Over dependence on GUIs, sheesh.

What desktop are you running anyways?

I'm using Mint with the Cinnamon desktop. I've never gotten my Linux skills quite up to my old DOS wizardry...

I don't run Cinnamon, but the .desktop spec mentions the Path key - looks like what you want.

Cinnamon doesn't appear to expose this in the GUI (Why?), so you'll have to edit the .desktop file manually.

Try it, if it doesn't work you can put 'cd <path>' in a shell script, and create a shortcut to that.

Here's mine, for example:

#!/bin/bash
installdir="/home/steve/KSP_linux-1002"
export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1
export __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0
export LC_ALL=C

#Set AA in case I forgot, fails if remote.
nvidia-settings --assign FSAAAppControlled=0 --assign FSAAAppEnhanced=0 --assign FSAA=7 &

cd "${installdir}"

if [ "$SSH_CONNECTION" ]; then
vglrun -c proxy ./KSP.x86_64
else
./KSP.x86_64
fi

Curious question to the other Linux users out there.

Is anyone else seeing higher CPU loads with KSP 1.0.2?

I've been playing since 0.25 and never had issues with overheating, but suddenly I'm locking up left and right.

Watching KSP in top, I see CPU usage at something like 200%. My temps idle around 45, but get to 70 while still in the main menu.

Sometimes I can only play for 5 minutes, but sometimes for an hour. I can't make sense of it, but 0.90 definitely didn't do this to me, modded or unmodded.

Just wondering if I'm the only one noticing higher CPU usage.

EDIT: Somewhere between reinstalling KSP, reinstalling Nvidia 331 (from 349) drivers, and changing the x86_64 offsets per soulsource, my thermal issues went away, as did my lockups.

I'm having the same problem. With strace it calls showing some function that waits for a thread to end (or something similar) shown. Forgot to write down its name. Will try your solution. But I hesitate to reinstall the old NVidia drivers as with them another game of mine isn't running ...

I see similar behaviour. I dont know about the "pre 1.0 era" but my KSP on linux runs constantly around 80%-100% CPU load...heat and fan noise included whereas the windows installation stays nicely quiet around 10% (unless flying giant rockets with many parts of course...).

Installation: KSP on Steam on Ubuntu 15.04 on a Dell Latitude E5450 with Nvidia Geforece 840M, nvidia-346 drivers with nvidia-primus installed for optimus support.

Is that normal behaviour on linux installations? I hope not, flying 3 part rockets with the CPU at 100% and a screaming fan is not fun.

Martin

There is an abnormal load in 1.0.2 due to the PPFX edge highlighting, this should be fixed for 1.0.3 though, but until then try disabling it.

Hm, tried disabling it but doesnt seem to change anything :/ Anyway, guess we have to wait for 1.0.3 and see if it brings any improvements.

Hm, tried disabling it but doesnt seem to change anything :/ Anyway, guess we have to wait for 1.0.3 and see if it brings any improvements.
It might be related to the mouse polling issue, gaming mice have high DPI and this causes KSP to struggle, turning the mouse polling down fixes it.

Hm, I dont have a gaming mouse. Anyways, I played around with a fresh install of ubuntu and without having the nvidia drivers installed CPU-load seems to be fine (all cores between 10% and 40% viewing the space center, flying small things...), although the game is slow due to the weak intel graphics.

To test, i installed the nvidia drivers with nvidia-prime: Game runs faster now but the high CPU loads are back (At least one core constantly >70%, fan speeds go to max... and that only viewing the space center). So there definitely seems to be an issue with the nvidia drivers, and its not PPFX. :/ I hope 1.0.3 will be fine.

Hmm, well maybe whatever is causing it is in the logs, can you please upload your KSP.log and Player.log to Hastebin for me :)

alright, here we go:

Running via Intel Graphics:

http://hastebin.com/tuwosatude.vbs

CPU loads: http://i.imgur.com/FAiw2ff.png (sorry for the orange hue)

Running via Nvidia Graphics:

http://hastebin.com/isuludekiz.vbs

CPU loads: http://i.imgur.com/oDP8i5p.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.