The Linux Thread!

Post the last 20 lines or so of output from the 'dmesg' command (or that which looks relevant, see my post above), executed a few seconds after un-plugging/plugging the drive.

The fact that your "cdrom" device, has a Windows 'Autorun.inf' on it suggests that it's some kind of fake drive, possibly created by some 'enhanced feature' software shenanigans on the USB device - see above post re. garbage-ware.

Edited by steve_v

I may know why it wasn't seen in the bios/uefi, if it's like mine it will display the boot device priority, usually with the CD/DVD drive first, then the HDD, maybe also with a network boot option.

There should be another option to change the order of HDD's, allowing you to put a different HDD first as the boot device.

Though if the HDD is also seen as a DVD in the bios it probably won't be listed there, I was thinking that if it was set as the boot HDD then it might be seen as a HDD instead of a DVD.

FWIW, Linux doesn't need to get the device details from the bios nowadays, unless you need to actually boot from it. Unless the BIOS intentionally lies about it, the driver will pick it up after the kernel boots anyway.

If "Buffalo 0001" is indeed the USB disk, setting it to HDD emulation probably caused the BIOS to try booting from it. This would explain needing to disconnect it to boot, and also indicates that the BIOS sees it just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

If it were me, I'd crack open the USB case at this point and plug the disk inside into an internal SATA port to make sure it's OK.

But that's just me, and I dislike/distrust external spinning disks generally.

Also, USB disks are often cheaper here than the identical model without the case..? Not sure how that works, but I now have a bunch of "free" USB-SATA adaptors. :P

FWIW, Linux doesn't need to get the device details from the bios nowadays, unless you need to actually boot from it. Unless the BIOS intentionally lies about it, the driver will pick it up after the kernel boots anyway.

If "Buffalo 0001" is indeed the USB disk, setting it to HDD emulation probably caused the BIOS to try booting from it. This would explain needing to disconnect it to boot, and also indicates that the BIOS sees it just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

If it were me, I'd crack open the USB case at this point and plug the disk inside into an internal SATA port to make sure it's OK.

But that's just me, and I dislike/distrust external spinning disks generally.

Also, USB disks are often cheaper here than the identical model without the case..? Not sure how that works, but I now have a bunch of "free" USB-SATA adaptors. :P

Just to get it right, I didn't need to disconnect to boot. It booted into Ubuntu just fine either with or without that setting applied. I just did that since I found a post elsewhere that said doing the unplug/plug thing could fix it.

In either setting (Auto or HardDisk), Ubuntu saw the disk as CDROM.

In other news, Ubuntu has created their own official personal package archive (PPA) for the latest proprietary graphics drivers, currently only Nvidia drivers are available but AMD will soon follow.

This PPA supersedes the Edgers PPA, it should be compatible with all Ubuntu based distros and is preferred over manual driver installation.

Back up your KSP.x86_64 first, just in case.

Then open a terminal and change directory to your KSP folder, so for example if it's a Steam install you'd use cd "/home/username/.steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/" then use those lines :)

I am getting a relatively consistent crash when switching back from map view while in orbit. Here are logs. The main thing I want to know is what this stacktrace means.

Native stacktrace:

/home/mcfadds2/KSP/KSP_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so(+0x915ee) [0x7f4ac11075ee]
/home/mcfadds2/KSP/KSP_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so(+0x3483b) [0x7f4ac10aa83b]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x10340) [0x7f4ac3bee340]
/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so(+0xee4715) [0x7f4aba7b9715]
/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so(+0xee47a0) [0x7f4aba7b97a0]
/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so(+0xe98ba9) [0x7f4aba76dba9]
/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so(+0xe99021) [0x7f4aba76e021]
/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so(+0xe99894) [0x7f4aba76e894]
/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so(+0xe9d70e) [0x7f4aba77270e]
/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so(+0xe9df3a) [0x7f4aba772f3a]
/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so(+0xe7cc8b) [0x7f4aba751c8b]
/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so(+0xca5ed3) [0x7f4aba57aed3]
/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so(+0x378d6f) [0x7f4ab9c4dd6f]
./KSP.x86_64() [0xc5a419]
./KSP.x86_64() [0xc4a0e2]
./KSP.x86_64() [0x62cd10]
./KSP.x86_64() [0x4da965]
./KSP.x86_64() [0x4715dc]
./KSP.x86_64() [0x472638]
./KSP.x86_64() [0x473487]
./KSP.x86_64() [0x482530]
./KSP.x86_64() [0x48ded7]
./KSP.x86_64() [0x4c9d8f]
./KSP.x86_64() [0x6f249a]
./KSP.x86_64() [0x6f345f]
./KSP.x86_64() [0x42e09e]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf5) [0x7f4ac23f0ec5]
./KSP.x86_64() [0x42f891]

There was a crash involving Mono and fglrx_dri, which is the proprietary AMD driver for Linux.

AMD drivers are notoriously bad, and it is worth trying different versions of fglrx such as those from the Edgers repository or even the open source driver Radeon, which some regard as superior.

As for what caused it it's hard to say, you have plugins loaded and they use C#/Mono, one of them could be causing this issue, so please test an unmodded KSP install.

Also, try asking in the Other Linux Thread, as that thread handles modded installs.

Thanks Sal sorry for wrong thread. I have tried non proprietary drivers, but then KSP wont even start. It closes as soon as I try to launch it. I am such a noob to linux I am sure there is something I am doing or not doing that I should. I will try that new repo you posted above once the amd drivers are released. I feel like KSP just doesn't want me to play it. I tried the 64 bit hack for windows and get a massive memory leak so bad that I can only play as long as I don't change scenes more than 3-4 times as after that it is guaranteed to crash. Further on almost every scene change 100+mb get added to my memory usage i start at 6.5ish at main menu then hit like 6.8-7.1Gb at the initial load of a saved game, and it only gets worse. I just don't think I have as big/demanding an install as people playing full RO yet I never have a stable game, but I digress 1.1 can not come soon enough :/

Question I just install the edger PPA and ran sudo apt-get update and upgrade. I just am confused if they are be used or not. Is there anything specific after that to enable the use of those drivers?

5Ph92rS.png

You can find the newer driver most easily by using Synaptic, which is a front-end for Apt, by searching for fglrx in Synaptic you will see the Edgers drivers as well as the basic driver provided by the Ubuntu repositories.

Driver Manager is not useful for this, as it cannot see the Edgers drivers.

Edgers is only a temporary measure until Ubuntu adds AMD drivers to their new proprietary repository, it is also possible to install the AMD drivers from the AMD site, as they offer a .deb package now so we don't have to manually convert from a .sh

Hope this helps :)

You can find the newer driver most easily by using Synaptic, which is a front-end for Apt, by searching for fglrx in Synaptic you will see the Edgers drivers as well as the basic driver provided by the Ubuntu repositories.

Driver Manager is not useful for this, as it cannot see the Edgers drivers.

Edgers is only a temporary measure until Ubuntu adds AMD drivers to their new proprietary repository, it is also possible to install the AMD drivers from the AMD site, as they offer a .deb package now so we don't have to manually convert from a .sh

Hope this helps :)

It is very​ appreciated :). This is what i get with that search. I am not sure what I am doing wrong?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Okay, looks like the Edgers packages aren't there, and the fglrx packages are older than I'd like, I'll update the first post, as it looks like Ubuntu Vivid and Mint have newer drivers anyway.

You could try the latest driver here, the Ubuntu install instructions should work for Mint, or wait for the officially supported repository to include AMD drivers.

I've used the drivers from the AMD site in the past and they worked pretty well, just make sure you uninstall them before upgrading to a newer driver.

Ok here's a weird problem. I just installed KSP on a new Ubuntu system. Everything seemed to be going well until I got to KSC and saw this:

hcZJ1II.jpg

Notice the bright green blob that would normally be text.

I didn't think it was a big deal at first, so I went ahead and installed some mods. I then realized the problem is more serious:

U4i3AnG.jpg

Essentially all of the mod windows are unusable in this state.

I've already looked at the section of this thread on fonts. I installed arial.ttf and arialbd.ttf. For good measure I then installed all the Microsoft core fonts, then tried installing several font metapackages to see if maybe there was just something I was missing. The problem persists.

Here's a link to my log file. If anyone has a clue about why this is happening I'd really appreciate a helping hand!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by R0d1n

Hi R0d1n, I suggest you first test a fresh unmodded copy of KSP with a new save to make sure the text is working for you and that this is not an issue caused by your addons.

As it may very well be, you have several errors like this in your log, all of which point to issues with your addons.

[WRN 00:33:51.887] Cannot create config from file '/home/R0d1n/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/InterstellarFuelSwitch/Plugins/FuelSwitchConfig.cfg'.
[ERR 00:33:51.887] Error: Empty part config file

If the stock game works for you please re-install your addons, and try to find which one caused this issue.

The guys in The Other Linux Thread! may know what's going on.

You might also want to take a look at your graphics driver as the KSP.log is telling me your GPU is Chromium, that doesn't seem correct and KSP needs a proper graphics card and driver such as an Nvidia, AMD or Intel card.

If it still doesn't work let me know.

Edited by sal_vager

R0d1n, something is really amiss here.

GPU: Chromium (128MB)
SM: 30 (OpenGL 2.1 [2.1 Chromium 1.9])

Please tell me more about your computer hardware and operating system, where KSP is installed, how you start KSP, whether or not you use a shortcut/link, whether this is a full install of a Linux distribution to a hard drive or in a virtual machine of any kind, and if you are able to install hardinfo on your distro (try your package manager first) please use it to generate a report.

Hey guys,

I've got KSP working for the most part on Linux with a handful of mods. I'm comfortably floating around the 5-6gb RAM usage when suddenly the game will crash on a scene change.

Checking the Player.log indicates: 'Using memoryadresses from more that 16GB of memory' as the last logged line. Which would make sense if I were actually reaching the my rigs limit of 16GB of memory. But I'm watching the Activity Monitor and memory usage never actually goes above ~6GB...

So, why would the Player.log be indicating to me that I'm running out of memory when Activity Monitor is saying the opposite?

Thanks for the help in advance!

It looks like it's going out of range, 'Using memoryadresses from more that 16GB of memory' might mean there was a memory usage spike that was too fast for Activity Monitor to display, or it might mean that something attempted to use an address outside of your 16gigs.

Googling the error doesn't turn up much, just this page on Unity Answers describing the same issue also in KSP.x86_64 and in Cities Skylines.

The error itself seems pretty rare, and as it has also been seen in Cities makes me think it's a built-in Unity error but I can't find any resources on Unity error messages.

The Unity manual suggests checking the stacktrace (if there is one) so please upload the full Player.log somewhere for us, the KSP.log might be useful as well.

Course, if you already restarted KSP the logs are reset, so you'll have to reproduce this.

It looks like it's going out of range, 'Using memoryadresses from more that 16GB of memory' might mean there was a memory usage spike that was too fast for Activity Monitor to display, or it might mean that something attempted to use an address outside of your 16gigs.

Googling the error doesn't turn up much, just this page on Unity Answers describing the same issue also in KSP.x86_64 and in Cities Skylines.

The error itself seems pretty rare, and as it has also been seen in Cities makes me think it's a built-in Unity error but I can't find any resources on Unity error messages.

The Unity manual suggests checking the stacktrace (if there is one) so please upload the full Player.log somewhere for us, the KSP.log might be useful as well.

Course, if you already restarted KSP the logs are reset, so you'll have to reproduce this.

Thanks for the prompt reply and helpful information!

As requested, here is a link to a copy of my KSP.log and Player.log from immediately after reproducing the crash issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vd3hx6wm4y9ggy0/AADqIWjlw0S98o4FsH1-AZ2da?dl=0

In this instance I had just started KSP > opened my career save > selected a ship from the launchpad and pressed launch > KSP loaded for a few seconds and then CTD'd.

Edit: Spelling.

Okay, to me it looks like a plugin issue, as the plugins use C#/Mono to work in Unity3D/KSP, the stacktrace says it's Mono at least.

Native stacktrace:

/home/aleks/Desktop/KSP104LITE/KSP_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so(+0x915ee) [0x7fdd4561e5ee]

/home/aleks/Desktop/KSP104LITE/KSP_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so(+0x3483b) [0x7fdd455c183b]

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0xfc90) [0x7fdd4bd25c90]

./KSP.x86_64() [0x4346fe]

./KSP.x86_64() [0x434a3f]

./KSP.x86_64() [0x434ab8]

./KSP.x86_64() [0x43621d]

./KSP.x86_64() [0x43196c]

./KSP.x86_64() [0x433494]

./KSP.x86_64() [0x6eb5fc]

./KSP.x86_64() [0x6f4b8e]

./KSP.x86_64() [0x6f595a]

./KSP.x86_64() [0x6f27ed]

./KSP.x86_64() [0x42e09e]

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf5) [0x7fdd4a232ec5]

./KSP.x86_64() [0x42f891]

The Player.log actually lists two addon plugins, KAS and SCANsat, which it had trouble with.

Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates

a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries

used by your application.

=================================================================

The following assembly referenced from /home/aleks/Desktop/KSP104LITE/GameData/Fusebox/Plugins/Fusebox.dll could not be loaded:

Assembly: KAS (assemblyref_index=8)

Version: 0.5.2.0

Public Key: (none)

The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/home/aleks/Desktop/KSP104LITE/GameData/Fusebox/Plugins/).

Could not load file or assembly 'KAS, Version=0.5.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

The following assembly referenced from /home/aleks/Desktop/KSP104LITE/GameData/Fusebox/Plugins/Fusebox.dll could not be loaded:

Assembly: SCANsat (assemblyref_index=10)

Version: 1.2.1.0

Public Key: (none)

The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/home/aleks/Desktop/KSP104LITE/GameData/Fusebox/Plugins/).

Could not load file or assembly 'SCANsat, Version=1.2.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_robust_buffer_access_behavior GL_ARB_robustness GL_ARB_sample_shading GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_seamless_cubemap_per_texture

The last two lines are where KSP starts loading graphics stuff.

Then near the bottom there's two null reference exceptions both saying it's SCANsat.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at UIListItemContainer.ScanChildren (Boolean includeInactive) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIListItemContainer.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIListItemContainer.FindOuterEdges () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.PositionNewItems () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.InsertItem (IUIListObject item, Int32 position, System.String text, Boolean doEasing) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.AddItem (IUIListObject item, System.String text) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIScrollList.AddItem (IUIListObject item) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ApplicationLauncher.AddModApplication (.ApplicationLauncherButton button) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ApplicationLauncher.AddModApplication (.OnTrue onTrue, .OnFalse onFalse, .OnHover onHover, .OnHoverOut onHoverOut, .OnEnable onEnable, .OnDisable onDisable, AppScenes visibleInScenes, UnityEngine.Texture texture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConnectedLivingSpace.CLSAddon.OnGUIAppLauncherReady () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConnectedLivingSpace.CLSAddon.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Then of course we have this.

"Using memoryadresses from more that 16GB of memory"

So I think from all that, you need to check for updates for SCANsat, and test KSP without SCANsat installed, maybe KAS as well, and if KSP doesn't crash with that "memoryadresses" error let the SCANsat modder know that something's going on.

In addition to this, the KSP.log is showing issues with the fuelswitch.

[WRN 11:31:10.556] Cannot create config from file '/home/aleks/Desktop/KSP104LITE/GameData/InterstellarFuelSwitch/Plugins/FuelSwitchConfig.cfg'.

[ERR 11:31:10.556] Error: Empty part config file

And clouds.

[EXC 11:55:52.743] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Clouds.Clouds.Update ()

Edited by sal_vager

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.