The Linux Thread!

That may actually be why, TV's upscale from low resolutions, for example a 720p widescreen LCD TV is really only capable of 1280x720 and a HD ready TV only puts out 1366x768, which is low for a computer monitor.

The TV may have a specific picture mode for PC gaming and consoles, you'd have to mess with the TV's own menu to find it though, and that should send the right info to Mint when it checks the screen for resolutions, but rather than the VGA port, look for a HDMI port or a Displayport, as either of these should allow the TV to be detected correctly, as I don't think the TV's EDID is accessible via VGA.

The Nvidia card should have HDMI, Displayport or even both, you just need an appropriate cable.

If the picture ends up too large for the screen the Nvidia driver has an underscan mode to reduce it.

Yep you can get one from most places, I don't know where you are but you may have a Staples or similar which sells the odd computer cable or two, also check the connectors on the TV so you get the right one, a mini-HDMI to standard HDMI should do the trick.

Edited by sal_vager

@broomish01:

Assuming you have the proprietary drivers installed correctly, by whatever means (FWIW, the installer from Nvidias site causes no end of grief, use the repos):

What's in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log? - I've seen various monitors with broken or absent EDID data, for example mine:

"(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): The EDID for Samsung SyncMaster (DFP-1) contradicts itself: mode "1920x1080" is specified in the EDID; however, the EDID's valid HorizSync range (30.000-81.000 kHz) would exclude this mode's HorizSync (28.1 kHz)"

I need manual sync/refresh settings in xorg.conf to get access to all supported resolutions, and manual DPI to get a non-lousy picture... because the card assumes anything on HDMI is a TV. :rolleyes:

It's worth noting that this only happens when using HDMI, and only with certain monitors - so you may be on the right track with trying a different link.

Then again, it may just be the TV being an arse. If you can find out what modes/timings it really supports you can force the issue with a manual modeline.

To quote Wikipedia: "EDID is not always completely accurate, and for some situations such as older or unusual display hardware or many HDTVs, it will be necessary to create a modeline to get the setting right."

For more info in the logfile (possibly more detected mode info), shut down the GUI, log in to a VC and 'startx -- -verbose 6 -logverbose 6'

If you do need manual config, here are some old but still handy links.

The massive wall-of-text manual for the nvidia driver can be found at '/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-nvidia/README.txt.gz' if you installed from the repos, or get it from Nvidias site. Many options here that are not in the GUI.

Edited by steve_v

Hey guys,

I've got KSP working for the most part on Linux with a handful of mods. I'm comfortably floating around the 5-6gb RAM usage when suddenly the game will crash on a scene change.

Checking the Player.log indicates: 'Using memoryadresses from more that 16GB of memory' as the last logged line. Which would make sense if I were actually reaching the my rigs limit of 16GB of memory. But I'm watching the Activity Monitor and memory usage never actually goes above ~6GB...

So, why would the Player.log be indicating to me that I'm running out of memory when Activity Monitor is saying the opposite?

Thanks for the help in advance!

It looks like it's going out of range, 'Using memoryadresses from more that 16GB of memory' might mean there was a memory usage spike that was too fast for Activity Monitor to display, or it might mean that something attempted to use an address outside of your 16gigs.

Googling the error doesn't turn up much, just this page on Unity Answers describing the same issue also in KSP.x86_64 and in Cities Skylines.

The error itself seems pretty rare, and as it has also been seen in Cities makes me think it's a built-in Unity error but I can't find any resources on Unity error messages.

The Unity manual suggests checking the stacktrace (if there is one) so please upload the full Player.log somewhere for us, the KSP.log might be useful as well.

Course, if you already restarted KSP the logs are reset, so you'll have to reproduce this.

I am encountering this quite a lot and all my crashes occur during scene changes. I have uploaded my log here where you can see that at the end of the log it is saying that it is exceeding the 16GB memory usage when GCMonitor was only showing it around 7.5GB usage. I had only boot the game up, loaded a save and tried to fly a craft on the pad. Sometimes I can play for hours no trouble, other times the game crashes about 5 times in an hour always producing the same error message in the log upon crash.

Any thoughts?

I think something is wrong with your install...

[WRN 21:57:21.022] Config in file '/home/edmund/Desktop/KSP104/GameData/ContractFilter/settings.cfg' contains no data.
[ERR 21:57:21.246] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 21:57:21.247] Cannot create config from file '/home/edmund/Desktop/KSP104/GameData

EVE is breaking...

LOG 21:57:21.798] Load(Assembly): EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/CityLights
[LOG 21:57:21.798] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /home/edmund/Desktop/KSP104/GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/CityLights.dll
[ERR 21:57:21.800] Failed to load assembly /home/edmund/Desktop/KSP104/GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/CityLights.dll:
System.BadImageFormatException: Format of the executable (.exe) or library (.dll) is invalid.
at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImageFrom (System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.IO.Stream stream, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.ScanForBadTypeRefs (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.LoadExternalAssembly (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

So is GC monitor...

[ERR 21:57:21.805] Failed to load assembly /home/edmund/Desktop/KSP104/GameData/GCMonitor/getRSS_x86.dll:
System.BadImageFormatException: Format of the executable (.exe) or library (.dll) is invalid.
at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadOptionalHeaders (System.UInt16& subsystem, System.UInt16& dll_characteristics) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImageFrom (System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.IO.Stream stream, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.ScanForBadTypeRefs (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.LoadExternalAssembly (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

And planetshine...

[ERR 22:02:11.504] [PlanetShine] An exception occured reading CelestialBodyColor node:
CelestialBodyColor
{
name = Gilly
color = 134,119,103
}

The exception was:
System.ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: s
at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Single.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PlanetShine.ConfigManager.LoadBody (.ConfigNode bodySettings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I think you need to consider reinstalling KSP, and if you use a link to start KSP, run the KSP.x86_64 directly instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm sure that issue has already been raised, but I've found nothing about it.

The alpha key for group action are not working at all : I cannot assign them in the KSP Settings Input screen, and then I cannot use them in game.

But these same keys are working wells when I want to edit my ship names for example.

My OS is Ubuntu 14.04 and, I think that is important, the localization of my os like of my keyboard is french.

I've followed the whole part of the Linux thread advices (like the LC_ALL=C and other stuff), so I think my install is well done.

Points that can help to break my game :

- I've the plugin Action Group Extended installed

- Are the Arial fonts so significant? I was a little to lazy to install them and links are broken in the old thread

Thanks you for any help

Hi hargin, I had to remove the fonts as they are still copyrighted despite their ubiquity, if Wikipedia has also removed their links then we are reduced to the mscorefonts installer or the winetricks EU-fonts pack.

If you have text already you do not need to install the fonts.

If you are using the settings.cfg from before you used LC_ALL=C it may be corrupt, so delete it as this forces KSP to make a new one.

As you are using French you likely are using an Azerty keyboard layout, this is known to cause problems with KSP but there is no fix that I know of, and the only workaround is to change the layout to Qwerty.

Other than that, the alphanumeric keys should be working fine in the settings screen, and are assigned by default to action groups 1 to 10, you can test these in a sandbox game if you have not yet unlocked action groups in career.

Thanks sal_vager,

The problem was coming from my keyboard layout.

I've switch it to qwerty and, miracle! It fixed the issue.

If Squad teams could only work a little on the localization of KSP, it seems that could help to fix many issues, besides to get some wider public for their marvellous game.

If only...

This might be a dumb question, but I'm rather lazy and don't want to re-install steam to check it out. (just changed distros and nuked whole drive, so lost my steam install)

By default does steam run the 64bit KSP or the normal 32bit for Linux installs?

Ill be getting a new hard drive soon, and might dual boot my gaming computer. I ran KSP on Linux before, but I didn't test out the 64bit much if any and might consider testing it out again to see if theres any marked improvement, even for more very limited laptop computer haha.

Steam runs the KSP.x86 by default, you can change this in the launch options for KSP in the Steam client.

Just put this in the box.

%command%_64

"%command%" tells Steam to use the correct path and KSP.x86 file like it normally does, "_64" is appended to the end, making "KSP.x86_64" and starting the 64bit version.

So I finally bit the bullet and decided to dual boot; waiting for 1.1, or playing 32 bit just weren't viable.

Anyhoo, installing Ubuntu in dual boot was easy; had a few issues installing Steam but did it without too much hassle. I even got KSP up and running on 64 bit, but my troubles started there... the default Nouveau drivers for my GeForce 760 are garbage... FPS dipping into the teens when I looked at Kerbin with a 4 part stock rocket...unplayable.

So I check and find that those drivers are indeed crap; so I install 355.11 open source and reboot. Now Steam won't start at all, and spits this annoying message at me when I try to start it via terminal.

Running Steam on ubuntu 14.04 64-bit

STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1440016726)

libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found

libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

About to pull my hair out over this.. any ideas?

Have you tried any of the other Nvidia proprietary drivers?... I recently installed Lubuntu 15.04, and once I switched from the Nouveau to Nvidia 346.96 I havent had any issues...Granted, I have a GT 630M...But I just checked, and the Nvidia site shows the latest for the 760 as 352.41 for Linux...Where did you get the 355.11 from?

It doesn't matter which driver I attempt to use. The only one that Steam seems to "see" is the garbage Nouveau one. Everything else gives the same error.

Linux is a clunky mess IMO. It isn't hard to see why most people wouldn't use it.

Edited by Bloodbunny

so I install 355.11 open source
No such thing, 355.11 is an Nvidia proprietary driver version number and is most certainly not open source. AFAICT, it's also not a version packaged for Ubuntu, which leads to the all-important question...

Where did you get it from? If you downloaded the .run file direct from Nvidia, don't. Use the package manager.

The errors from steam indicate that it cannot find the driver, and attempted to fall back to software, 99% probable that this is because the driver is not correctly installed. 99% of the time that's because someone installed it wrong.

The only one that Steam seems to "see" is the garbage Nouveau one.
Again, how did you install? The package manager will swap out (and blacklist) Nouveau automatically. I have no idea what Nvidias installer does, but it probably does it wrong.

Check the output of:

glxinfo | egrep 'direct | vendor'

You should get something like:

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation

Anything else and you have not installed the driver correctly.

Assuming you have aptitude installed (apt-get install aptitude), what does: 'aptitude search ~invidia' output?

For further troubleshooting:

Check basic opengl functionality with eg. the 'glxgears' demo.

Inspect (and post) output of 'dmesg', 'glxinfo' and the contents of '/var/log/Xorg.0.log' to see what's going wrong.

Installing the Nvidia driver on Debian is as simple as 'apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-settings'. Ubuntu is just as easy, it even has a lazy clicky-thing. Did you read the instructions?

Using the installer from Nvidias site or any other random location usually just breaks everything.

Linux is a clunky mess IMO. It isn't hard to see why most people wouldn't use it.
If you say so, works fine for me. Edited by steve_v

Thanks for posting some real help.

I ran the driver check and got:

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation

Further I ran glxgears and have a steady 60 FPS. The installed driver is 346.96, which is what I chose from the driver manager. It must have something to do with Steam needing 32 bit code in there somewhere, but I am admittedly too much a noob to know how to go about doing that.

'aptitude search ~invidia'

I don't have a *buntu install to check on, but on Debian (upon which *buntu is based) the relevant bits are:

i A libgl1-nvidia-glx - NVIDIA binary OpenGL libraries

i A libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 - NVIDIA binary OpenGL libraries

obviously enough, the 'i386' package is the 32bit version of the driver library.

I don't actually use steam either, if you already have KSP installed, can you start the KSP.x86_64 binary directly, without steam?

Such things usually reside in '~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/<name of game>'

- - - Updated - - -

Hold that thought, I have an Xubuntu 14.04 VM around here somewhere... BBS.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, try 'apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386'

How did you install steam? 'apt-get install steam' *should* pull those in automatically.

Edited by steve_v

Ok, I tried the stuff suggested, then did a reboot. Steam is now working; I then started KSP and tried a test launch.. I got 60 FPS the entire time, with an odd stutter every few seconds if I panned the camera a lot.

When Steam started up; I got the message "OpenGL GLX context is not using direct rendering, which may cause performance problems"

When Steam was started via terminal; this is the output:

mister@misters-pc:~$ steam
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "unity-gtk-module"
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
Error: OpenGL GLX context is not using direct rendering, which may cause performance problems.

For more information visit https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9938-EYZB-7457.
[1007/222220:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(173)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(20150819112727)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(1440016726)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(1440016726)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(20150819112727)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(1439983647)
[1007/222220:ERROR:nss_util.cc(981)] Failed to load NSS libraries.
FillInMachineIDInfo took a total of 0 milliseconds
Dongle firmware /home/mister/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/../controller_base/d0ggle.bin loaded, version 1435869091.
Generating new string page texture 2: 48x256, total string texture memory is 49.15 KB
Generating new string page texture 3: 256x256, total string texture memory is 311.30 KB
Adding licenses for the following package(s): 0, 194, 219, 463, 1471, 1529, 1619, 2753, 4067, 4857, 6516, 6810, 8009, 12481, 13184, 14037, 14259, 17092, 17093, 17095, 17933, 21353, 25643, 26394, 26509, 28283, 28521, 28952, 29109, 30564, 30660, 31282, 31539, 31562, 31828, 31966, 35620, 36075, 36425, 37180, 37223, 39685, 44675, 46682, 47238, 47293, 47466, 47668, 50677, 50718, 51009, 51663, 52292, 54029, 54131, 54913, 55339, 56458, 60895, 62700, 71944, 80132, 80133, 80278
roaming config store loaded successfully - 1588 bytes.
migrating temporary roaming config store
Dongle firmware /home/mister/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/../controller_base/d0ggle.bin loaded, version 1435869091.
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
Failed to init SteamVR because it isn't installed
ExecCommandLine: ""/home/mister/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam" "
System startup time: 3.84 seconds
Opening joystick XInput Controller

(steam:3920): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

(steam:3920): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

[1007/222225:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(200)] Running without renderer sandbox
STEAM_RUNTIME has been set by the user to: /home/mister/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime
Generating new string page texture 73: 128x256, total string texture memory is 442.37 KB
Generating new string page texture 74: 128x256, total string texture memory is 131.07 KB
Generating new string page texture 75: 64x256, total string texture memory is 507.90 KB
Generating new string page texture 76: 8x256, total string texture memory is 516.10 KB
Generating new string page texture 77: 32x256, total string texture memory is 548.86 KB
ExecCommandLine: "/home/mister/.steam/root/ubuntu12_32/steam steam://open/driverhelperready"
ExecSteamURL: "steam://open/driverhelperready"

Not sure what to make of it, but I can gather that the direct rendering is related to 32-64 bit inconsistencies.

an odd stutter every few seconds if I panned the camera a lot.

Ahh, that... it's may be this known issue, no real solution for this one. Or it may be related to mouse polling rate, for which an answer may be found here.

When Steam started up; I got the message "OpenGL GLX context is not using direct rendering, which may cause performance problems"

--8<--

Not sure what to make of it, but I can gather that the direct rendering is related to 32-64 bit inconsistencies.

Yup, for some reason the 64 and 32 bit Nvidia libraries cannot be installed simultaneously on Ubuntu (not sure what gives, again no Ubuntu here) so the 32bit parts of steam fall back to mesa indirect rendering. It shouldn't affect the game itself though (assuming you have steam set to launch the 64bit KSP binary).

The link mentioned in the error message offers some explanation.

Methinks somebody needs to light a fire under Valve about a true 64bit steam client. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

There are updated drivers here which *might* fix this.

This may also be an issue with the steam runtime, though I thought that was fixed... does starting steam with 'STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam' make that message go away?

Otherwise, more help may be forthcoming on the Ubuntu forums / google...

Edited by steve_v

It doesn't seem to affect KSP at all, as its ginning right along in 64 bit as fast as I set the FPS. Looks like I'm back in business with KSP

RUNTIME=0 doesn't help, but the error doesn't seem to affect Steam or KSP noticeably so I can live with it until Valve or Ubuntu makes a fix.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.