The Linux Thread!

Its a desktop shortcut, can that cause an issue? Never had a problem before and done several different installs.

This issue is in a new one I made for Realism Overhaul.

The game isn't installed on the deskop if that's what you mean, 

Edited by Torih

I'm getting a segfault on startup in Archlinux; only log output is:

Native stacktrace:
        /opt/games/KSP_testing/KSP_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so(+0x915ee) [0x7fcc91f9a5ee]
        /opt/games/KSP_testing/KSP_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so(+0x347fc) [0x7fcc91f3d7fc]
        /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0(+0x10d60) [0x7fcc97667d60]
        /usr/lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x14) [0x7fcc95b8baa4]
        /usr/lib/libGL.so.1(+0x55e63) [0x7fcc97378e63]
Debug info from gdb:
=================================================================
Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries 
used by your application.
=================================================================

Relevant packages are probably:

nvidia-libgl 358.16-1
nvidia 358.16-2.1

Any ideas?

TIA!

A shortcut on your desktop can be an issue yes, as KSP looks for some files relative to the KSP.x86(_64) such as the settings.cfg and the Physics.cfg, if it can't find them it runs with internal values and these were incorrect in 1.0.4

A shortcut needs to set the KSP folder as the working directory, doing this will vary between desktop environments so please see your desktops documentation for details.

As for the segfaults it may be because KSP is in opt, it's not designed for this and could be failing due to a permissions problem.

See if a copy in the home/user folder has the same issues.

I am a new KSP user and am encountering an issue when attempting to fire up the program.

I downloaded the game via Steam and when I attempt to start KSP is goes through it's loading screen then simply crashes.  I deleted the Setting.cfg file in my /Kerbal Space Program directory and created the simple batch file discussed at the top of the thread.

#!/bin/sh
cd ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal\ Space\ Program
LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86_64

When I start the game in this manner, I get the same load screen but in this case the progress bar stops at ~50% and stays there.  The "load comments" continue to change, but the game simply stops loading.

I am running Linux Mint 17.1 on a quad-core system with 8GB of RAM

KSP is the current version available on Steam (I assume 1.05)

I have an Nvidia GeForce 9400GT using the 340.96 driver.

On a related note, I had previously downloaded and successfully run the KSP Demo version on Steam.  I have deleted any residual files/directories from the Demo version and have also attempted a reinstall of the full version.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards.

Chris

Hi CJHusVar, when you start KSP it makes a KSP.log in the Kerbal Space Program folder, and a Player.log in the /home/usesrname/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program folder.

These can show what is causing the issue, so please put them on a file host such as dropbox.com and post the links here :)

2 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Hi CJHusVar, when you start KSP it makes a KSP.log in the Kerbal Space Program folder, and a Player.log in the /home/usesrname/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program folder.

These can show what is causing the issue, so please put them on a file host such as dropbox.com and post the links here :)

sal_vager -- Oddly enough, when I went to that folder I found I didn't have permissions to access it (in my own /home folder, no less).  As soon as I changed permissions on the /unity3d folder and subfolders, voila!!  KSP fired right up.  

Thank you for your quick response, I'm sure I'll be back for something equally....odd.

Cheers!!

@Vaporized Steel, it's fine, though I don't know how to answer you yet, frame rate drops a lot die to physics and KSP either drops frames or slows down (it's called lagsbane), anything that frees up cpu should help, I'm using xfce and should really try iceWM or similar to see if that helps.

@CJHusVar, glad I could help :)

• 4 weeks later...

Back in 0.90, 1.0 and 1.04 days, there was a patch which was needed to fix a crash, this patch was using the "xxd" program.

Is this still needed on 1.0.5 (latest)?  and if so, anybody know what it is?

On a different note, I'm having a problem with Environmental Visual Effects (EVE) simply crashing the game shortly after starting.  Any ideas?

This is a Fedora 23 system, 32 gig memory, nVidia graphis with the private nVidia drivers installed.

Other than this (which I can live without), it runs great.

Hmm, you may be referring to the 64bit segmentation fault, xxd can be used to find the offsets, but was also used to find the "Intel" string to fix shadows on Intel cards.

If it's the segfaults, backup your KSP.x86_64, open a terminal in the Kerbal Space Program folder and use these lines.

echo "008ab803: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64

echo "008ab808: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64

If you're on Intel graphics hardware then maybe this will fix Eve.

gerner said:
FYI, I just gave this a try and it seems to work!

More specifically, my steps were:

0) make a backup!

$ cp KSP.x86_64 KSP.x86_64.bak

1) figure out the byte offset where the particular Intel string shows up:

$ cat KSP.x86_64 | xxd | grep "Intel"

0f01f00: 454c 0049 6e66 6f6f 0025 692e 2569 2e25 EL.Intel.%i.%i.%

0f024f0: 2049 6e74 656c 2039 7878 2028 6275 6767 Intel 9xx (bugg

That first line is the one you want (as GeneCash points out), figure out what that is:

$ printf "%d" 0x0f01f00

then add a few bytes to get exactly into that "Intel" string, in this case about 5 bytes should do it

2) replace those bytes (thanks to StackOverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4783657/cli-write-byte-at-address-hexedit-modify-binary-from-the-command-line)

printf 'foo' | dd of=KSP.x86_64 bs=1 seek=15736581 count=3 conv=notrunc

3) profit! as GeneCash points out, you should see a shadow behind the kerbal on the Mun at startup.

2 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Hmm, you may be referring to the 64bit segmentation fault, xxd can be used to find the offsets, but was also used to find the "Intel" string to fix shadows on Intel cards.

If it's the segfaults, backup your KSP.x86_64, open a terminal in the Kerbal Space Program folder and use these lines.

echo "008ab803: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64

echo "008ab808: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64

If you're on Intel graphics hardware then maybe this will fix Eve.

Hi @sal_vager

The bug I was running into was actually an nVidia bug, which is solved by setting:

export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1

Re the xxd, this is what I was looking for.  I'm updating my script to launch KSP on Linux.  I've finally decided to live up to my name and play KSP on Linux, mainly because of the memory limitation of 32 bit.

Are these the values for 1.0.5 (silent build)?

Also, re. the Intel bug, is the basic idea to change the Intel so it won't be a match?  This doesn't affect me, but I might as well get it in the script for those who could use it.

Thanks

Yes those values should work on 1.0.0 to 1.0.5 as they all the same Unity version, the offsets move with each minor (and major!) Unity engine update.

The Intel fix was needed because of a Unity engine bug, not sure how it works.

Edit:

I can't edit the OP, at all, I may have to start this thread again.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone.

I'm running KSP in Debian 8 using native Steam. I'm having a really bad FPS during gameplay, KSC is on average 8FPS, space in orbit is ~12FPS on average and drops down below 5 on occasions. Landing my fairly small ship on the Mün takes ages, physics are slowing down as hell, FPS are plummeting through the ground. Only when I'm not looking at the ground (look at the sky to not show the surface) things speed up a little.

But, that being said, i have exceptionally good FPS in the menus! ~58FPS on average. So i don't know what could be the problem.

After reading few forum threads I came up with my current launch options, which are:

optirun LC_ALL=C LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 taskset 0x000000015  ./KSP.x86_64

...but that doesn't seem to be doing much good. The CPU cores don't seem to be fully loaded. The game is sloooooow. Don't know why.

I hope you guys can point me in some new directions to increase the overall performance of the game. Thanks in advance!

Cheers, InnerBushman

Other info (will update when asked for more details):

KSP: 1.0.5.0
GFX card: NVIDIA GF117M + proprietary nvidia driver
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz (4 cores)

Edited by InnerBushman
Updated info

You may want to remove the %homedir%/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/prefs file and try again.  I've had issues with the Pre-release corrupting that file.  I just added remove it to my startup script and so far, things have worked fairly well.

1 hour ago, azander said:

You may want to remove the %homedir%/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/prefs file and try again.  I've had issues with the Pre-release corrupting that file.  I just added remove it to my startup script and so far, things have worked fairly well.

Already tried that, but thanks :). I fixed it by setting AA to 0.

How work joystick now ?

It don't use system settings and some buttons are not recognized

Other than that X64 seems laggy and CPU go crazy in editor view

Edit

Removing "LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1" seems have fixed the lag

Edited by Badsector

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.