The Linux Thread!

Hey all,

I'm running a dual-boot install of Ubuntu 14.04 exclusively to run 64 bit KSP, which has been great so far with the exception of two issues. One is relating to sound not playing from the rear ports, but that's far less pressing. My main issue is the fact that anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, and Vsync don't really seem to be functioning as they should. I've updated my Nvidia drivers to 346.35 within the OS and have been using both the graphics settings within KSP and nvidia-settings to try to force it, but no luck. The game runs really well but the graphics are just so jaggy that it's painful. Any ideas on how to fix this? If anyone has any brilliant ideas on the sound from as well, I'd appreciate it.

Sorry for my Linux noobishness.

Thanks!

I have one for the group. Im running Kubuntu 14.10 with a Nvidia 750m with 345.35 drivers. All runs great but I am getting a weird shader or color depth issue. PLeaes see the attached screen shot. This is not just a KSP issue but allso effect my X session. The KSP screne shot was just the best example. Is this a no brainer I have missed or is this a known thing and I should just carry on?

http://imgur.com/bTb2CO4

Thanks.

What am I looking at here, the glow around Kerbin?

Hey all,

I'm running a dual-boot install of Ubuntu 14.04 exclusively to run 64 bit KSP, which has been great so far with the exception of two issues. One is relating to sound not playing from the rear ports, but that's far less pressing. My main issue is the fact that anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, and Vsync don't really seem to be functioning as they should. I've updated my Nvidia drivers to 346.35 within the OS and have been using both the graphics settings within KSP and nvidia-settings to try to force it, but no luck. The game runs really well but the graphics are just so jaggy that it's painful. Any ideas on how to fix this? If anyone has any brilliant ideas on the sound from as well, I'd appreciate it.

Sorry for my Linux noobishness.

Thanks!

Sound would be a Pulseaudio issue, it's not detecting that you have rear ports, you may be able to edit Pulse's confs to fix it though.

Those graphics features aren't working correctly for me either when just using the options in KSP/Unity, the only method that works for me is to force them either globally or per application in the Nvidia control panel.

Where would one get this magical .run file? For AMD, I mean.

The what?

What am I looking at here, the glow around Kerbin?

Sound would be a Pulseaudio issue, it's not detecting that you have rear ports, you may be able to edit Pulse's confs to fix it though.

Those graphics features aren't working correctly for me either when just using the options in KSP/Unity, the only method that works for me is to force them either globally or per application in the Nvidia control panel.

The what?

Thanks. Are you running an Nvidia card? If so, what driver are you using? I've tried forcing globally, but no luck. I'll try forcing based on application this evening. Additionally, any idea how to fix UI lag? Seen a few people complaining about FPS issues when rotating the camera when the UI is active. Pressing F2 resolves most of the issues, but only until you re-enable the GUI.

Does Voidi's installation script still work?

I was trying to help a guy on the /r/kerbalspaceprogram subreddit, but while writing him a tutorial on how to get KSP installed, I found the script couldn't log in to the kerbalspaceprogram.com webstore with my username and password. I copied over the script from a successful installation, so it already had my login details, and it failed too. I know my password is correct, though, since logging in to the website itself in a web browser works fine.

So, I decided to use my dual boot with Ubuntu 14.10 for more than just coding and start playing KSP on it, and I have a problem. Everytime I launch the game, no matter what commands I use or what version (x64 or x86) I launch or what mods I use (the full RO package or stock ) the game crashes. What's more, it also freezes up the entire system and I have to use REIBUS (the shortcut to reboot ubuntu) to get out of it. The crash generally happens when the camera turns from the initial menu (which shows a Kerbal hanging out on the Mun) to the crashed Mun or Bust vessel. It always freezes the system, and its impossible to get out of. The sound does keep on playing.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.10 with the latest updates, and for drivers I use fglrx-updates from the system settings menu. I'm attaching the last KSP.log here

KSP.log: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cwSdqG7KBxlgNlqCN89NXqkSQuO5fbNODhYp_ZPH5vQ/edit?usp=sharing

Has anyone faced this issue before? Any ideas?

Where would one get this magical .run file? For AMD, I mean.

The AMD website, betas here.

If you managed to get this to work please tell us how!
I'm using an NVIDIA card (GTX680) with binary drivers (346.22) on Debian Sid. Both AA and AF work just fine when set to 'override' in nvidia-settings.

In-game setting have no effect whatsoever.

--8<--

the game crashes. What's more, it also freezes up the entire system

-->8--

Not personally, but there are plenty of similar reports, on this thread and elsewhere.

The consensus seems to be that it's an issue with the AMD Linux driver.

Try updated GPU drivers from upstream -- i.e. the AMD website, some have had better luck with this, others... not so much.

"lockups" like this (not really a system lockup, just GPU / Xorg) are, IME, almost always GPU driver related. It's just possible that it's an interaction with particular kernel versions, or a bug in the kernel itself, so updating your kernel may also be worth pursuing.

Other random thoughts:

Disable TLS? - 'aticonfig --tls=off'

Ensure no other drivers are present, eg radeonfb

Disable KMS - pass 'nomodeset' on kernel command-line

If you also have an integrated video chip, disable it or uninstall its driver

Try some bleeding-edge Xorg/mesa packages.

If you're game to try a newer / upstream kernel, packages & instructions may be found here.

Edited by steve_v

I'm having the exact same issue. The open source driver works for me, but since it lacks the option to force anti aliasing like the AMD drivers do, the game looks kind of horrible with all the jagged edges. Still, it's an option if you really want to run more mods than the 32bit version can handle.

In my experience, installing newest drivers from the AMD website didn't do the trick. I've also tried re-installing Ubuntu as well as swapping over to Mint, mostly due to lack of any better ideas than any real hope it would fix it. I haven't found anything in any of the KSP log files, nor was there anything near the time of the crash looking at the time stamps in kern.log. I've also tried looking at Xorg.0.log, but I'm too much of a linux noob to get anything useful out of it.

That pretty much sums up my adventure so far, let me know if you find a way to somehow make the fglrx drivers work for you :)

I'm using an NVIDIA card (GTX680) with binary drivers (346.22) on Debian Sid. Both AA and AF work just fine when set to 'override' in nvidia-settings.

In-game setting have no effect whatsoever.

Yes, but I'm an unlucky one who for whom the AA override settings do nothing. I haven't had the patience to figure out how to do an application profile yet to see if that makes any difference and I was wondering if anyone else in this situation had.

Sorry condraj2, I don't know why it's so slow for you, I assume it's just the driver.

I'm using the Nvidia 331 driver from the X-swat repo on a GTX650, I can force AA globally in Nvidia-settings but it has a tendency to make text look smeary.

Edit:

Does anyone else see this?

pXClk0Z.png

Edited by sal_vager

So, apparently, newer open source drivers perform much better than the AMD fglrx drivers, at least for me. I experimented a bit with newer open source drivers and they work quite well. I used the oibaf ppa, which (I think) isn't completely bleeding edge, but is newer than the old ones. I've tested this on a few Ubuntu derivatives, and it worked everytime (tested on 14.04, Linux Mint 17.1, elementaryOS Freya beta 1) If you're having issues with fglrx, try this:

Remove your previously installed drivers first. For Ubuntu, you can do this through the systems settings if you installed from there. Otherwise, Google it.

Add the newer ppa for the drivers with:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

Update your apt cache:

sudo apt-get update

Upgrade (install new software, essentially, will upgrade your open source drivers)

sudo apt-get upgrade

Sal, can you post this in the first page of the thread under AMD drivers?

So, apparently, newer open source drivers perform much better than the AMD fglrx drivers, at least for me.

Glad to hear it's working for you. I don't suppose you've also managed to force anti aliasing with them? The lack of drivers capable of both running the game and providing anti aliasing is what has kept me mostly using windows so far.

Hi there !

Just to say that the locale bug which forced certain locale users to start ksp with "LC_ALL=C" has been fixed in 0.90.

Would be nice to put it on first post. Source : http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/0.90#Bug_Fixes_and_Tweaks (8th point).

As a french locale user, I can confirm it's fixed :)

Not fixed actually, works at first, but breaks the second time you start KSP.

Well in case there isn't I managed to swap KP_1 and 1 at the X level using xmodmap. Messes up my day to day typing but whatever, this install is pretty much just for running KSP.

New and exciting problem that I can't find any info on though: I believe in windows it's possible to move the camera in all 4 directions in the VAB by holding down middle/wheel. On linux (ubuntu) it just seems to zoom in and out. I tried holding both buttons, holding the modifier key - no luck. Am I missing something?

Well, I have some good news Percival, the Linux numpad issue is all Unity's fault but thankfully they've gotten round to fixing it.

Unity 4.6.1 release notes

Now all we have to do is wait for 1.0, Squad is bound to update Unity :)

Oh and numrow buttons for action groups works fine, there may be some other cause for that.

Can't update on Linux, using non-steam 0.90. Patcher fails to start up, in terminal I get this error:

Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element

Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number

Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (libicui18n.so.48: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"

Segmentation fault

I have rsync 3.1.0 installed and working.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.