[1.0.4] ModuleRCSFX v4.2 Aug 23 OBSOLETE IN 1.0.5

NathanKell

Thank you for the update! Now RCS thrusters work fine with other fuels than Hydrazine! Also, switching off now works!

One more question: what can cause this?

oQhZNV6.png

Some thrusters(especially those which are rescaled by RO) provide two setting groups instead of one.

Sorry for this probable stupid question. But, does this add any visual or sound effect to the RCS or it's just the RCS ports behavior? And if its a visual effect can someone give me a link to a video or a picture comparing the stock and with this mod?

Andrewmacor: it makes it possible to do so. I don't ship any myself, though.

And, haha, forgot to update the OP! StoryMusgrave, Sparker, and WarrenSchultz, your issues are fixed. :)

v3.5 \/

*Fix non-PROPELLANT RCS

*Change how thrust scaling works: now thrust is scaled by thrusterPower correctly (I trust), and precision mode is always "10% thrust" rather than varying based on placement.

*Made rotatation/linear restrictions toggleable in the VAB.

Its because for example RLA rcs thrusters have configs in both utility and rcs .cfg files that conflict with each other. One or the other should be removed/altered.

Edit: in the RO .cfg files

Thank you. Which files exactly do you mean? I've found RO_RLA_RCS.cfg, RO_RLA_UTILITY.cfg and RO_Squad_Utility.cfg, or did I miss anything else? I tried deleting either the first or the second file, but some thrusters still have double options. I think I'll leave it this way, it's not such a big problem.

@NathanKell: You are awesome.

Still debating on how much I like the restrictions toggle in the VAB. On integrated parts with a lot of modules adding things the 7 additional lines added with this take up a lot of space with little info to show for it. Any way of maybe making a new window so that a single click brings up a separate window to change the restrictions? Much like ModuleEngineConfigs/ModuleFuelTanks does.

Another possible idea if workable...what about a parameter even if only in the *.cfg (but VAB window, perhaps even the restriction one proposed earlier would be cool too) that disables the RCS port by default, rather than having to use an action group to turn things off initially before launch, then turn them on later as required.

Anyone has problems with RCS install? I've used modulemanager to change stock Vernor's module to this one, and now all the vernors installed on ships that are in space don't work.

As far as I understand it is caused by stock modulercs already saved in persistent.sfs. Any ways to fix it? Don't want to loose my save, 150-tonne ships constructed in orbit are pain to loose.

Edited by sashan

StoryMusgrave: Thanks! :]

A GUI would indeed be better--I had held off making them tweakable (always before they were just in the cfg), but SRFirefox asked for it to be VAB-tweakable and I thought, well, why not. He suggested a GUI, too, so I suggested a pull request. :D (Open to one from anyone, btw.) It's just...got enough on my plate I don't want to take on making a GUI right now.

A cheap solution would be to make that first field a toggle for the others, so they only show up on the part action menu if you turn on 'RCS settings'...

I can just set the RCS toggle to be viewable in the VAB too, I think, and that should sove that issue.

WarrenSchultz: great! :)

sashan: are you using the latest version? Can you post the MM patch you are using? And no, that patch should be savegame-safe, either applying the patch or removing it.

Here is it:

@PART[vernierEngine]
{

!MODULE[ModuleRCS] {}
EFFECTS
{
running
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = Squad/Sounds/sound_rocket_mini
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 1.0 1.0
pitch = 0.5 0.8
pitch = 1.2 1.4
loop = true
}
MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
{
modelName = Squad/FX/LES_Thruster
transformName = thrustTransform
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.01 0.3
emission = 0.075 1
emission = 1.0 2
speed = 0.0 0.5
speed = 1.0 1.0
}
}
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_soft
volume = 3.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
flameout
{
PREFAB_PARTICLE
{
prefabName = fx_exhaustSparks_flameout_2
oneShot = true
}
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_explosion_low
volume = 0.5
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRCSFX
thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster
thrusterPower = 12
useThrottle = false
runningEffectName = running
engageEfffectName = engage
flameoutEffectName = flameout
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidFuel
ratio = 0.9
DrawGauge = True
resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = Oxidizer
ratio = 1.1
resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 260
key = 1 140
}
}

}

Just found out that Isp is zero. Always. IDK why.

Maybe you should post an example of code with all the features used?

Edited by sashan

Instead of removing the old and adding a whole new module, you can try

@MODULE[ModuleRCS]
{
@name = ModuleRCSFX
}

If that doesn't work, post the entire part cfg for the Vernor from ModuleManager.ConfigCache.

Thanks for the idea, I'll use it for all small RCS thrusters.

The point of this edit was mainly to introduce new effect for bipropellant RCS.

UPD: Your code without effect part efficiently set all my RCS thrusters Isp to 0. Same for vernor, just noticed that.

Maybe it's connected with the fact that I'm using .25? .90 is too much for my ancient piece of you-know-what. Where can I find .25 version?

Edited by sashan

Has anyone had any success changing the EPSILON value? I'd like to set it to 0.0 because otherwise SAS can't stabilize my spacecraft. I put EPSILON = 0.0 in ModuleRCSFX module of part description but it changes nothing. I also tried other values, but EPSILON doesn't seem to change.

I've been reading through this thread trying to compile a config file for myself which would enable RCS sounds.

Here is what I made:

@PART

[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRCS]]

{

@MODULE[ModuleRCS]

{

@name = ModuleRCSFX

}

EFFECTS

{

running

{

AUDIO

{

channel = Ship

clip = Squad/Sounds/sound_rocket_mini

volume = 0.0 0.0

volume = 1.0 1.0

pitch = 0.5 0.8

pitch = 1.2 1.4

loop = true

}

MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE

{

modelName = Squad/FX/LES_Thruster

emission = 0.0 0.0

emission = 0.01 0.3

emission = 0.075 1

emission = 1.0 2

speed = 0.0 0.5

speed = 1.0 1.0

}

}

engage

{

AUDIO

{

channel = Ship

clip = sound_vent_soft

volume = 3.0

pitch = 2.0

loop = false

}

}

flameout

{

PREFAB_PARTICLE

{

prefabName = fx_exhaustSparks_flameout_2

oneShot = true

}

AUDIO

{

channel = Ship

clip = sound_explosion_low

volume = 0.5

pitch = 2.0

loop = false

}

}

}

}

It produced these results: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfofeenktlank1s/ModuleManagerConfigCache.rar?dl=0

No RCS sounds yet. Where did I make a mistake? Could anyone enable sounds for himself with this mod?

• 4 weeks later...

:-(

I got mine working to the point of doing the RCS thing with stock gas jet visuals, plus a permanent flame jetting out at right angles from where it should be, no sounds, etc. Seems disconnected from the triggers (eg, running etc), and something wonky going on regarding vector vs thrust Transform.

The model_multi_particle section with emission just makes no sense. What are the four sets of two numbers? If it's a vector, shouldn't it be sets of 3? Is it 4 sets for 4 RSC nozzles?

I tried replacing the whole section with a prefab_particle, but then nothing happened. :-/

PS: This is the frustrating bit about modding. Usually, when you do find out, it's simple as hell, like the thrust transforms. But finding out what those numbers represent is like searching for the proverbial needle in a haystack of forums, when you don't know if that haystack had that needle removed, or never had it in the first place.

Thankfully, I have plenty of other things to get frustrated at, so for this, I'm asking, then stopping my head scratching till there's an answer. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if someone has the skills to make a new RCS effect like the effects in NASA animations?

http://i.space.com/images/i/000/031/888/i02/ladee-fires-thrusters-illustration.jpg?1376934789

or

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/487090main_thrust_test.jpg

Just to nitpick a little but IRL you're not going to see much in a vacuum except for a slight mist. (based on descriptions from Apollo 15 astronauts describing the APM on the third stage as it thrusted away after they separated from it)

And that first picture is just artist conception. The second pic is because it's in an atmosphere.

I'll nitpick the nitpicker. You can see something more than just mist. Though probably not much more. NASA video of the Dragon.

. Start about 12min into it. I want to say about 12:04 you'll see it. Yellow/orange exhaust. The issue is, usual real RCS usage are quick bursts, very quick bursts, which KSP doesn't really do well. In fact, the stock RCS effect isn't that far off of real life visually except for speed of the particles. Edited by StoryMusgrave

• 1 month later...

Can someone please tell me where the "correctThrust" entry would go in a part config?

I'm having some trouble with Mechjeb being unable to control my vehicles though RCS wherein a desired attitude will be achieved, only to be followed by endless corrections by the system firing out of multiple RCS thrusters, only stopping if Mechjeb attitude controls are turned off. I've been asking on the Mechjeb thread, but this seems to be a problem only I have ever seen for some reason, so I'm trying to work through all of the possible causes to see if I can't find a way to fix it. Considering the fact that this issue didn't arise until I installed Real Fuels with the stockalike configs (and along with it, ModuleRCSFX), I have to assume that the issue lies somewhere in the interaction between MJ, RF, and ModuleRCSFX. As a result, I'm really hoping that I'll be able to correct this issue with a simple / easy tweak to one of the components rather than just being forced to accept the issue as is

Anyway, like the first line says, how would I go about setting the correctThrust parameter to false for an RCS block to see if that has any effect?

Thanks